EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Finally an accurate way to find someone's ancestry?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally an accurate way to find someone's ancestry?
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNAPrint Genomics: Ancestry By DNA

Not to say races exist. They still don't, far as I know, for certain members.

Anyway, Yay? [Smile]

or nay? [Frown]

Anyone know anything abuot this?

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any K-mart blue light specials on this. I wanna know why I look white since I'm black. Gotta find me some alleles that made all this changin.'
Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing new here as far as I can tell, in terms of the frequent usage of atDNA markers used by these companies. The program is said to have purportedly fine-tuned tracing European markers to sub-regional units, as opposed to the relatively more ambiguous and generalized assignments to the continent.

From the link:

...DNAPrint® Genomics' powerful new EuropeanDNA 2.0 product, further elucidates European sub-ancestry using 1,349 European Ancestry Informative Markers (SNP AIMs). This test reports a customer's proportional basic continental European ancestry: Southeastern Europe (SEE - Armenian, Jewish, Italian and Greek), Iberian (IB -Spanish, Portuguese), Basque (BAS - Spanish/French Pyrenees border), Continental European (CE - German, Irish, English, Netherlands, French, Swiss and some Italian) and North Eastern European (NEE - Polish, Baltic, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Russian) ancestry.

...We found that 1,349 of the 11,071 chips SNPs, provided most of the within-Europe ancestry information.

EuropeanDNA 2.0 measures each of these 1,349 European Ancestry Informative Markers (AIMs) for each customer, and using a Bayesian algorithm, reports a customer's proportional Southeastern European, Iberian, Basque, Continental European and Northeastern European ancestry.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yes, I noticed that too. Since when was Armenia part of Europe? And what do they mean by 'Jews' or Jewish ancestry. Are not the original Jews from the Levant?

quote:
Originally posted by Grumman f6f:

Any K-mart blue light specials on this. I wanna know why I look white since I'm black. Gotta find me some alleles that made all this changin.'

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean Grumman? Do you have vitiligo or something?
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it all as well... well, the quoted piece anyway.

quote:
DJ:
^ Yes, I noticed that too. Since when was Armenia part of Europe?

Hmm^

quote:
And what do they mean by 'Jews' or Jewish ancestry. Are not the original Jews from the Levant?

I just thought they were basing this off of the majority of white Jews ancestry being from SE Europe.

A question I had was, do you guys think it would be more difficult to /assign /single out /fine tune/ African markers to correspondnig sub-regions, than what they've done with European markers, because of continental interaction or genetic diversity?

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willing Thinker {What Box}:

I just thought they were basing this off of the majority of white Jews ancestry being from SE Europe.

A question I had was, do you guys think it would be more difficult to /assign /single out /fine tune/ African markers to correspondnig sub-regions, than what they've done with European markers, because of continental interaction or genetic diversity?

That's the thing. Many of the European Ashkenazi Jews are either from Central Europe or Eastern Europe, as in northeast.
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I don't have vitiligo.

Actually my comment was geared to check out my ancestry, with a little humor thrown in, just to see how much black African dna as compared to European I have,which is considerable in the phenotype expression. If I had money I no longer needed then I may consider the ''measuring stick.''

Which brings me to this. On another website this one guy was telling this other person his ancestry check from one of those companies that specialize in it showed some significant Asian background but he wouldn't accept it because his southern history didn't show Asian. He went on to elaborate how he called the company with this disputed information and evidently he found out some of the locator stuff isn't what it was cranked up to be. This guy says he is white with the ''usual'' amount of native American in the mix and can trace his family all the way back to the plantations and further. He wasn't upset that some Asian stuff showed up so much as it was his puzzlement as to how it could be. Then the other explained how all this transference supposedly came to be but that wasn't good enough for the guy so the topic quietly died out.

Actually I'm not doing justice to his argument because I wasn't that interested except to note that another poster chimed in and said a determination wasn't foolproof via the dna route. It was too complicated for me so I left it alone.

Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willing Thinker:

If it is possible to trace certain markers *predominantly* [not necessarily exclusively] back to certain sub-continental units in Europe or elsewhere, then the same should be possible in Africa. On the other hand, claims about tracing mtDNA, Y chromosome and atDNA markers to just a *single* specific ethnic group, is suspect, since more often than not, populations are not isolated and share markers with surrounding ethnic groups...pending any scientific specificity corroborating such.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Solver:
quote:
Originally posted by Willing Thinker:

If it is possible to trace certain markers *predominantly* [not necessarily exclusively] back to certain sub-continental units in Europe or elsewhere, then the same should be possible in Africa. On the other hand, claims about tracing mtDNA, Y chromosome and atDNA markers to just a *single* specific ethnic group, is suspect, since more often than not, populations are not isolated and share markers with surrounding ethnic groups...pending any scientific specificity corroborating such.
Gotcha.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com