EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » iconographical help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iconographical help please
richardporson
Member # 15009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for richardporson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a scene I have seen as a relief on the end panel of stone sarcophagi in the museums in Khartoum and Cairo and at several places in between.

There are a male and a female figure (could be gods or humans) standing facing each other in profile in at the sides of a roughly square frame. Each has both hands on a long rope except that it isn't a rope but the stem of a plant with leaves on it which look to me like waterlily/lotus leaves. In the space between the two figures we see a stylised representation of the plant stem and leaves. At the top of this representation a knot in the stem is shown. It is a simple knot (I think a reef knot in English English, a square knot in US English) and is shown before being pulled tight as if it were a diagram to explain how to tie the knot.

Can anyone identify and explain this scene? I found it intriguing when I saw it and even more so having come across a reference in ancient Greek verse to Cretans "binding their hands with flowers".

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by richardporson:

There are a male and a female figure (could be gods or humans) standing facing each other in profile in at the sides of a roughly square frame. Each has both hands on a long rope except that it isn't a rope but the stem of a plant with leaves on it which look to me like waterlily/lotus leaves. In the space between the two figures we see a stylised representation of the plant stem and leaves. At the top of this representation a knot in the stem is shown. It is a simple knot (I think a reef knot in English English, a square knot in US English) and is shown before being pulled tight as if it were a diagram to explain how to tie the knot.

Can anyone identify and explain this scene? I found it intriguing when I saw it and even more so having come across a reference in ancient Greek verse to Cretans "binding their hands with flowers".

Thanks for any help you can give.

The Sema Symbol Examples

-

Bark stand

Sandstone
Naga, Temple of Amun, sanctuary, no. 104/1
Kushite (Meroitic), first century AD, reign of King Natakamani and Queen Amanitore

Left picture: The front side shows the falcon-headed Horus (left) and the ibis-headed Thoth (right) binding two plants, the papyrus and the lotus, around the central hieroglyphic emblem 'sema' (union). The papyrus represents Lower Egypt and the lotus represents Upper Egypt. Above this sign two cartouches are placed, crowned by a sun disc and double ostrich feather. The left (northern) cartouche contains the name of King Natakamani, while the right (southern) one the name of Queen Amanitore. Both are written in Meroitic hieroglyphs.

Right picture: Below, two Nile gods are binding two plants, the papyrus and the lotus, around the central hieroglyphic emblem 'sema", with the queen's second Egyptian name Merikara on the south, and the kings's second Egyptian name Kheperkara on the north.

The unification of Upper and Lower Egypt, symbolized by the sema motif, is the emblematic sign of political and cosmic order under the control of Kushite kingship.

-

In this Egyptian symbol we see the Sema bound with two plants, the papyrus and the lotus.

King Khafre seated
Fourth Dynasty 2576-2551 BCE

The king sits on a backless throne with the sema symbols.

-

Hapi

-

Hapi was also both god of Upper and Lower Egypt - this duality was shown by having twin Hapi deities, one wearing the papyrus of the north (Lower Egypt) as a headdress, the other wearing the south's (Upper Egypt) water lily (lotus) as a headdress.

Other Names: Hapy, Hapr

Patron of: the Nile and its inundation.

Appearance: A fat bearded man with breasts, wearing a crown of reeds and lotus blossoms.

Description: Hapi was the personification of the Nile. He was believed to dwell in a great cave near the Cataracts. There he was aided by a retinue of crocodile gods and frog goddesses, who ensured that the Nile ran cool and clear. Each year he would increase the Nile so that it flooded, depositing rich soil on the farmlands.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com