EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » 5,000-year-old cemetery found in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5,000-year-old cemetery found in Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indo-Asian News Service
Sunday, July 6, 2008 (Cairo)

A 5,000-year-old royal burial ground has been discovered by an Egyptian archaeological mission in southern Egypt, the official MENA news agency has reported.

The ancient cemetery was found in Umm el-Ga'ab area, south of the historical city of Abydos in Sohag governorate, about 400 km south of Cairo, the report said on Saturday.

The burial ground, which contains 13 tombs, is believed to be of senior royal employees or people who contributed to the construction of the cemetery.

The team of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities also found objects of an ancient Egyptian game called ''Senet'', which resembles modern chess.

According to the report, this is for the second time the ''Senet'' game has been discovered. The first one was found in the tomb of boy King Tutankhamen near the southern Egyptian city of Luxor.

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20080055862

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I wonder what material remains are found and what they can tell us about these people. I also wonder what anthropological analyses of the remains will say if any are done.
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately there wasn't more information given upon publishing this article which appeared on several online websites. Hopefully an update will follow very shortly.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

I also wonder what anthropological analyses of the remains will say if any are done.

Given that the estimated date goes back to 5,000 years and that the royal burials are located "south of the historical city of Abydos", I doubt that the morphological aspects of the remains would by and large depart from that of early royal Abydos remains that Keita et al. had extensively studied over the years, that is -- in that they sport both strong affinities with groups from the Ta Seti region and south thereof, and strong tropical African physiological tendencies.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Interesting. I wonder what material remains are found and what they can tell us about these people. I also wonder what anthropological analyses of the remains will say if any are done.

Where have you been?
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com