EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Mataha Expedition Hawara 2008

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mataha Expedition Hawara 2008
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost labyrinth of Egypt scanned

Intro

The Mataha-expedition researched the lost labyrinth of Egypt at Hawara. A colossal temple described by many classic authors like Herodotus and Strabo, to contain 3000 rooms full of hieroglyphs and paintings. A legendary building lost for 2 millenia under the ancient sands of Egypt. Bringing the highest level of technology to unlock the secrets of the past. The sand of Hawara was scanned earlier this year (February-March 2008) by the Belgian Egyptian expedition team. Although ground penetrating techniques are used by archaeologists for years, the Mataha-expedition (Mataha = labyrinth in Arabic) was the first to apply this technology at Hawara, to solve the enigma born in the Renaissance for once.

Read on here

http://www.mataha.org/

Mataha Expedition: lost labyrinth of Egypt scanned - results unveiled Tue 28.10.2008

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! I just noticed this!

I've been waiting for this [Wink]

I just knew it wasn't just a myth

Good find Tigerlily.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I barely remember such a legend. I wonder what such a finding will entail. Also, do you think there is any connection with Crete or ancient Minoa with the labyrinth part of the legend?
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I barely remember such a legend.

It took a second for me to realise the significance and remember the legend aswell.

quote:
I wonder what such a finding will entail. Also, do you think there is any connection with Crete or ancient Minoa with the labyrinth part of the legend?
I have little doubt that there is one.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I barely remember such a legend. I wonder what such a finding will entail. Also, do you think there is any connection with Crete or ancient Minoa with the labyrinth part of the legend?

Don't the ancient Greeks say there is?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ From what I remember, the Greeks associate the Minoan labyrinth with King Minos as a way of containing the Minotaur. Although the palace of Knossos of Crete appears to be labyrinth like in design. But again, considering the ancient cultural connections between Crete and North Africa I am not surprised.
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
| 4 ackee

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com