EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » ot: The Great Debaters (2007)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ot: The Great Debaters (2007)
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only saw a handful of movies last year as there wasn't much out there that I found exciting. However, I never fail to watch a Denzel Washington movie when it comes out in my neck of the woods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Debaters
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JnezpSJwr8c

A curious movie by Denzel I saw last year took my mind back to EgyptSearch many times while watching it, due to the manner or way in which we dabate. There is an unmistakable revolutionary edge to the type of issues we tackle here, which reminds of the phenomenon that occurs (most noticeably in tropical countries) where "flying bugs" make their way into people's homes, towards the light, when it's dark outside - only to be burnt by that very light. [Big Grin]

This movie speaks to me in particular, for I have been *personally attacked* (workplace racism, harrassment et al.) for my contributions to this forum and my "wish" to see it bloom into something much greater than it already is.

So I wanted to explore the themes in this great movie. If anyone cares to make *any* comments about the movie, please feel free to do so.

---

quote:

Denzel Washington stars in this movie who plays the part of Melvin B. Tolson who led a small team of debaters from Wiley College in Texas. Based on a true story, this inspirational movie reminded me of Hoosiers. Set in the 1930's The Great Debaters depicts the racism of the deep south and addresses a variety of social issues which were the subject of their debates. I won't bore you with the details but the characters were convincing, the acting was good, the lines were delivered well, good cinematography yada yada yada. In various scenes the characters affirm their motto that went something like this:

Denzel:"Who is the judge?"
His debators in Unison: "God is the judge."
Denzel:"Why is God the judge?"
Debators:"Because God decides who's right and wrong, not my opponent."
Denzel:" Who is your opponent?"
Debators: "My opponent does not exist."
Denzel: "Why do your opponents not exist?"
Debators: "Because our opponent is a voice that dissents from the truth."

This was of particular interest to me because the subject of one of their debates is the morality of civil disobedience. I won't tell you the outcome of their debate but I will say that this is a question to which I have devoted a great deal of thought in the past. Paul taught in Romans 13 that government was ordained by God to rule as his servant but there are obvious qualifications to Paul's statement. What happens when that government becomes oppressive of its own people?

The Roman government in the first century was certainly oppressive yet Jesus taught to go the extra mile and turn the other cheek. Jesus allowed this oppressive government to nail him to a cross. Then there are Paul's instructions for slaves to treat kindly both just and unjust masters. The answer for me boils down to this observation. The Jews rejected Jesus based on the fact that he refused to lead a military revolt against Rome. Neither did Jesus teach civil disobedience. What Israel failed to realize was that their true enemy was not Rome but sin and death that had enslaved them. Ultimately, Jesus defeated them on the cross and I think we should do the same.

http://russellaroberts.blogspot.com/2007/12/review-great-debaters-nine-stars.html

I think the issues explored in this movie are so current and so crucial ... so crucial to the current problems we are facing in the world.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, soon after that thread about American Gangsta (which was also good I liked TGB better) I waas going to post a thread on everything I noticed in the movie.

Watched it again with fam to see how much they caught of the strong themes of the movie, one of which, as I remember (foggy), was that it is ok not to bend to what is perceived as authority cuz it isn't always just and true authority lies within none but "the most high".

Probably in response to that brain-washed and pacified mentality that probably stems from implicit messages blasted through media. It's an attempt to change the way our people (and all people) tend to think about resistance/"disobediance" especially black resistance.

I was so glad that movie came out after seeing Eddy Murphy's "Norbit" and how the black business OGs were chased out of town to restore order while the OG Italiens who were pacified got to stay. Nothing against Eddie Murphy - it didn't appear to be a contemplated thing as the story line was kind of random - but it just so happened that a nearby business on the up and up owned by a black lady was stopped supposedly by Italiens (thru light weight intimidation really, nothing hardcore but still enough to really piss me off as while someone recounted about how them Italiens been run things I had other ideas in mind - no, I'm not always that hot headed).

On a side note at the theatre this white Jewish guy's face who was sitting accross from me was so covered in tears I guessed because many non-African Americans don't hear of the stuff that went/goes on (not just in Texas - from a cop killing of an innocent law abiding very bright black college student to the pumping of drugs into the 'hood' and violently graphic tales of sellers' brains splattered across the street when they're gunned down). For good reason several people in there were all teary when they drove up on that tree hanging/lyching or whatever and burning. To me the scene was suspenceful and graphic (but what isn't?) BUT very appropriate for the movie set especially in that time phrame.

I mainly LOVED the movie for the same reasons you mention though - the morals, the dissidence, and the fact that it reminded me of how this forum once was and still is at times.

Scroll down to the Guru's [alTakruri's] response to a biased poster here. That's only a teeny tiny example of the ocean of scholarship I've seen from a single [very appreciated] member here.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One fly with apparently burn protective gear that keeps bouncing off of the light but runs away for times when his feelings are hurt

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001851

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure he runs away because his feelings get "hurt? or because of the sheer anger that can be raised in a SANE person observing INSANE people who consciously court ignorance of the highest order?
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way you said that. [Cool] Ignorance of the highest order is right.
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn good movie, but all Denzel movies are. Oprah was involved too. They know a good story.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's done tons of good movies like Inside Man, American Gangster, Training Day, John Q, the one about the revolutionary war, the list just goes on and on ..

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alive:
He's done tons of good movies like Inside Man, American Gangster, Training Day, John Q, the one about the revolutionary war, the list just goes on and on ..

These are all pretty recent, compared to where he made himself known; the ones you mentioned are towards the end of the list.
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^ Tru dat. Lest we forget Malcolm X.
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alive:

Denzel wasn't in a movie about the Revolutionary War. You're talking about Glory and that was the Civil War.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That movie is so good and have so much substance. I recommend every able person to see it.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com