EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Pastor Ray Hagins talks about Council of Nicea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Pastor Ray Hagins talks about Council of Nicea
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people here think the Jesus image came from Egyptian false God Serapis...who was modeled after Ptolemy? I know many here have talked about the Egyptian origins of the 3 major religions (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity). I've never heard of this Serapis thing though. He also says all of those images of Jesus with the "halo" behind him is really representative of the Sun God Ra. Being born a Christian, I've always wondered why so many images of Jesus has it as a sunny day or something...lol.

Here he is talking on the Council of Nicea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWf6cZeblI - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3TXXtC17Q&feature=related - Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_agjSlK0DzM&feature=related - Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iKskVk_yDQ&feature=related - Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8pzo8HGVhg&feature=related - Part 5

He rambles sometimes, but there's good information in there. He also talked about how the Council was formed by Constantine just to take out one man from Libya (forgot his name) who was speaking out against what was going on. I just want to get others opinions on it.

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:

How many people here think the Jesus image came from Egyptian false God Serapis...who was modeled after Ptolemy? I know many here have talked about the Egyptian origins of the 3 major religions (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity). I've never heard of this Serapis thing though. He also says all of those images of Jesus with the "halo" behind him is really representative of the Sun God Ra. Being born a Christian, I've always wondered why so many images of Jesus has it as a sunny day or something...

Well, let's start with the *earliest* artistic rendition(s) of Jesus, if there is one; after all, he did invoke art.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serapis was a Greco Egyptian deity that was created in Egypt as a fusion of the Egyptian dieties Osiris and Apis into one composite entity and depicted as a bearded man in "classical" form. The Greeks then forbade the worship of the many other ancient deities and replaced them with Serapis.

With the rise of Rome and the Roman Empire the Romans maintained Greco Egyptian traditions, including the worship of Isis. But eventually they decided to make a new religion to suit the purposes of Rome, based on the theological doctrines and underpinnings of the Greeks from Egypt. These doctrines were Greek variations and interpretations of older traditions which valued the symbolic form of the gods over the literal. In other words, deities, in Egypt and in much of the ancient world, were symbolic of various aspects of the universe and nature. They were not literal humans and the understanding of these symbolic forms was the basis of the philosophy and cosmology of many ancient cultures.

The Romans decided to break with this tradition and make the new religion based around an actual historical figure. The form they chose was based on the image of Serapis and the stories associated with this new deity were taken from various traditions and cultures. This new entity would become known as the living God in the flesh and be touted to the world as its savior.

Well, from a theological perspective many people had a problem with this, on the basis of the idea that statues and images of "the gods" are symbolic and not literal human beings and have no nature of their own. They are symbolic of God's nature and spirit, which is symbolized as being eternal, life giving, and sustaining of all life. This concept of the essence of God's nature is summed up as the logos or life force or divine will of God at work in the universe and is seen by many ancient deities, including Ptah.

So began the arguments and debates over the form of the "Christ" or savior as a physical human being versus being a symbol of God's nature. Much of this debate is obscured by history as many writings on these topics were done after the fact or written in such a way as to obscure the intent of what is being said. But just for simplification, as an example, within Islam it is taught that man cannot know God because God is beyond human understanding and therefore not something man can know. This is a theological perspective on the nature of man and the divine. Because of this view, it is impossible for Muslim's to accept Jesus as literally God in the flesh. Similarly, many Eastern Orthodox Christian churches also have theological differences of opinion on the nature of Christ.

But no matter how Christianity came to be, the fact is that the iconography and stories about Jesus all clearly have a symbolic meaning that ties the life of Jesus to older traditions.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus? Gee, Zeus; approximately Serapis, confused with Chrestus?

-  -  -  -

^ After the Nicean idea. v Pre-Nicean catacomb representations
 -
of the Christian man god are of a decidedly different cast.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I thought that was a myth tho. (That "Jesus" comes from Zeus)

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeth, thatth a mythintepretation.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Jesus and Moses are essentially myths.
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Yeth, thatth a mythintepretation.

lol I get it
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomorelies
Member # 16201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Jesus hung from a tree or crucified to a cross? [Embarrassed]
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Look at the accounts in the untranslated Greek
Scriptures to see what Greek words are used. To
see it from a solar mythos perspective it would
have to be a cross to represent midheaven, nadir,
ascendant, and descendant. Also what did Romans
use for crucifixion? Hint, cruci-fixion, means what?
The four Gospels concur it was by affixing to a cross.

Then, when considering some 'Pauline' accounts, it
was a tree without doubt. This harkens to a Judean
method of capital punishment -- where an execution
precedes the tree hanging -- distinct from the Roman
execution by crucifixion.

The 'Pauline' texts were written before the Gospels.
The Pauline texts are clear about the tree.
The Gospels say it was crucifixion.
The Greek Scriptures are at odds as to which it was.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's connected to the sun "movements", like the passover (Jewish Easter) myth. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, so Jesus may have been strange fruit.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Nope. The hanging after execution administered by
the Judaeans did not involve the condemned's neck.
Nor was the 'tree' a living one rooted in the ground
with branches and limbs and leaves and what not.

So it wasn't quite what you can see (not for the
religiously devout) here in the very last panel.

nomorelies
Member # 16201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess for those that truly read the bible, Acts 10:39 must be quite confounding.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
You have to understand the early evolution of
Christianity. The need evolved from the main
protagonist being based on a condemned and
executed Jew who lived ~100 BCE into a man
who was the deity personified.

Take note of the Book of James and related texts.
Read up on the Ebionites. Compare and contrast
them to Paul's Chritianity.

In the movie The Last Temptation, Paul meets a
Jesus who escaped crucifixion/hanging. Paul is
preaching a Jesus which causes the never crucified
Jesus to call Paul a liar. Paul takes Jesus aside
and tells him "I'm glad I met you, my Jesus outshines
you and I don't need you."

If you're Christian but not one whose faith is easy
to shatter you'll want to look into these things. Though
fictional I recommend starting with either the book
or movie The Last Temptation and from there move on
to scholarly works about the evolution of early Christianity.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Cheers.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
quote:
a condemned and executed Jew
And not by the Romans, according to Great Sage's own book:

"What exactly is so scandalous? How about Jesus punished in Hell for eternity by being made to sit in a cauldron of boiling excrement? That image appears in early manuscripts of the Babylonian Talmud, as does a brief account of Jesus’ trial and execution—not by the Romans but by the Jewish high court, the Sanhedrin."
Link

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com