EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Is There A Yoruba & Mandinke DNA Link?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is There A Yoruba & Mandinke DNA Link?
Energy
Reading books on vacation
Member # 16438

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Energy   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard on a discussion forum that there is DNA evidence to show that the Mandinke and the Yoruba are related somehow.

Can anyone here verify this to be true?

The reason I am asking is there is folkore that says the original people of Old Oyo were the builders of the Songhai Empire. The Madinke are also known to have been part of the Songhai Empire. My quest is to find the link between the two people.

Posts: 620 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Energy:
I heard on a discussion forum that there is DNA evidence to show that the Mandinke and the Yoruba are related somehow.

Can anyone here verify this to be true?

The reason I am asking is there is folkore that says the original people of Old Oyo were the builders of the Songhai Empire. The Madinke are also known to have been part of the Songhai Empire. My quest is to find the link between the two people.

Ok, your question is a bit unusual on a couple of fronts. It presupposes that Yoruba and Malinke aren't relatives to begin with, needless to say that the closest relatives of the Yoruba in a micro sense are other Kwa speakers while those closest to the Malinke are other Mande. DNA studies will show a link but perhaps not the one you're looking for. Secondly, your question seems to take at face value these Yoruba legends. The Songhay empire was founded by the Songhai people (a Nilo-Saharan group), hence the name. This has been documented in writing by African scholars in Timbuktu as well as Berber and Arab travelers.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few examples:

Cruciani et al. 2004, Phylogeographic Analysis of Haplogroup E3b (E-M215) Y ChromosomesReveals Multiple Migratory Events Within and Out Of Africa...

Yoruba from Nigeria (n=21) E(xE3b) ~ 90.5%

Mandinka from Senegal (n=16) E(xE3b) ~ 93.8%, E3b (M78) ~ 6.3%

Cruciani et al. don't unfortunately break E(xE3b) down into specified subclades.

From Tishkoff et al. 2007, History of Click-Speaking Populations of Africa Inferred from mtDNA and Y Chromosome Genetic Variation, we have...

Yoruba (n=13) B1, B* ~ 8%, while E3a (M2) ~ 92%

On the mtDNA end, from Salas et al. 2004, The African Diaspora: Mitochondrial DNA and the Atlantic Slave Trade, this diagram was presented...

-

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
e3b1c1
Member # 16338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for e3b1c1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
intresting explorere i didnt knew m78 is 6.3%
in mandeka senegal it also 4% in ginea bisau
it seams m78 is springled in west africa
i gusse you right
regards e3b1c1 [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 371 | From: egypt | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
e3b1c1
Member # 16338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for e3b1c1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
answere me explorere i flattered you telling you you are right
let open a new page i dont want to argue anymore
i want to learn of the distribution of e3b clades in africa
regards e3b1c1

--------------------
e3b clades

Posts: 371 | From: egypt | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Flattered" is misplaced description...I guess amongst many of the other things you get wrong. If facts are finally soaking into your head, to me, that ought to be a reflection on *you*. It shows that there is some hope perhaps, in your ability to learn...and I use "some" here rather cautiously.

--------------------

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
e3b1c1
Member # 16338

Rate Member
ok
dont hate me it is hard to me to to understand that i have african ancestery
but inside my head i know we are relate through the pn2 clade if you are indid e3a member
i gusse my ancestor was just african who nailed a bitch in arabia thats all
ps. its a new begining i dont think somalid or a european could admitt those things like me
itold you i am diffrent from v13 guys
regards e3b1c1

--------------------
e3b clades

Explorador
Member # 14778

You must know something that I don't, because you seem to know what my Y chromosome lineage is, when I haven't conducted any genetic testing to that end.

--------------------

e3b1c1
Member # 16338

Rate Member
you taled me you look african and that you lived in africa most of the chances that you belong to haplogroup e
the issue here is like the member king say
that e3b person admitt his african roots
thats a breakthrough that other people
didnt done
regards e3b1c1

--------------------
e3b clades

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ E3bc1,look i know little or next to nothing about genetics,but what does it matter if you are haplogroup A.B.C.1.2.3 biology does not determine culture or high and low state of development,it's just a marker that's all it may give you a starting point to say one of your ancestors may have originated at point X,thats all.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
e3b1c1
Member # 16338

Rate Member
ackee you are right
sorry if i hurt you guys we are all human it doesnt matter what person x carry
we are all african in the end of the day
regards e3b1c1

--------------------
e3b clades

Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmer Menes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ackee:
@ E3bc1,look i know little or next to nothing about genetics,but what does it matter if you are haplogroup A.B.C.1.2.3 biology does not determine culture or high and low state of development,it's just a marker that's all it may give you a starting point to say one of your ancestors may have originated at point X,thats all.

I know right, some people feel so inadequate in their own personal achievements, that they have to cling on to false notions of genetic relation in order to boost their self esteem. I think what Keita's analyses prove is that phenotype and genetic's are largely exclusive entities, yet some on this board are obsessed with using genetic studies to revive new notions of division amongst one another. What should we call this, geneticism?? I don't think they understand how stupid they sound saying "I'm e3b, not a slave like e3a"...

Genetic's is all good, but judging by the quality of logical thinking, written syntax and grammar, if e3b is supposed to denote some intellectual superiority, someones gene must be a dud.

Also, that olive branch e3b1-lonely-dude just posted doesn't quite resonate as genuine by any stretch of the imagination. Especially considering the virulent hate he was just spewing out on the other thread... I have never seen 3 such low-esteemed ignoramus in my life. I'm glad a few heads on the boards are patient enough to even make an attempt at educating them, because to me, their posts are symptomatic of severe learning difficulties... (and penis envy)...

Posts: 365 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
e3b1c1
Member # 16338

Rate Member
so there is no room in your hourt for forgivnec we are all human we all make mistakes learn to forgive
my english is not the best and sucks
but its not my my first language
i am an arab from oman we are riding camels
living in the desert i was wrong , but learn to forgive
regards e3b1c1 [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by e3b1c1:
so there is no room in your hourt for forgivnec we are all human we all make mistakes learn to forgive

What didja say again? Omani?

Can I see a picture of your sand-nigger Omani ugly camel face? [Cool]

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
so there is no room in your hourt for forgivnec

I forgive you for choosing something that represents probably much less than 0.1% of what differentiates humans from other species as the sole measure of people.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok e3b1c1,lets start over new leaf and all.why don't you start a new thread showcasing Omani cultural and historic connections to their African neighbours. [Cool]
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IronLion:
quote:

What didja say again? Omani?

Can I see a picture of your sand-nigger Omani ugly camel face? [Cool]

Man, don't do that...
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's better to respect the person you are debating. Ackee showed some level of respect for E3b1c1 and he apologized.

E3b1c1 if you have any info about Oman that you know, It would be apreciated to post it. Thanks.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:

you taled me you look african and that you lived in africa most of the chances that you belong to haplogroup e

Yeah, but I don't see how being an African relegates me to only a single possible marker. You do realize that Africa [being the source of modern humanity and the most biologically diverse center of humanity] has more than one lineage, don't you? So, why do you assume that by saying I'm an African, that you can tell what lineage I am, when you haven't got any DNA result from me to reference from, not to mention, when I haven't taken any DNA testing to give you any cause to know what lineage I am part of?
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'd already decided in his head. [Big Grin] The asshole!

Dogma and prejudice are like the opposite of critical thought which drives Science and Theory.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmer Menes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freehand:
Dogma and prejudice are like the opposite of critical thought which drives Science and Theory.

Thats a fantastic quote.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
e3b1c1
Member # 16338

Rate Member
sorry maybe explorer you are in haplogroup B
the pygmy
or in haplogroup A
lets be resonable most of the chances that you are haplogroup e or else maybe you are haplogroup r1b
maybe you descendents from colonial soldier
do a dna test and find out at the moment
most of the chances that you are haplogroup E
most specificly e1b1a
e3b1c1

--------------------
e3b clades

IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok nuff with the Omani camel-lover troll and his ignorant show, on this tread.

Lets get back to the main topic which is the relationship between the yorubas and the malinkes.

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Agreed.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's herukhuti the human-antivirus? Only He can give the final word on this Yoruba matter. [Big Grin]

--------------------
state of mind

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Narmer Menes:
quote:
Originally posted by Freehand:

Thats a fantastic quote.
thanx.
Energy
Reading books on vacation
Member # 16438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Sauron:
Where's herukhuti the human-antivirus? Only He can give the final word on this Yoruba matter. [Big Grin]

Still waiting for the antivirus to help me out
Posts: 620 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com