EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Nile Valley origins of some West African populations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nile Valley origins of some West African populations
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A serious 119 post thread on the subject header exists as
Foreigners in Egypt and Nubia from Dyanstic to modern times.

It includes research of West African scholars and input from
the only relevant on-topic known female member (save Dana
Reynolds-Marniche, Myra Wysinger, and Neith-Athena) who's
made real solid contributions to our forums and has disappeared
[God keep her] even from her own The Oasis forum.

Enjoy!

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, the paper by Moussa Lam I posted on the other thread, detailing the oral tradition of migrations from Yaro Dyao have been taken off the site. I see it discussed in the thread linked above, but not the entire paper, unless I missed it. I also no longer have the .pdf of it it due to an OS crash.

It seems that many are unwilling to accept a NV origin of certain West African groups because of the idea that it deminishes the accomplishments made while in WA. I don't get that. I see any cultural advancements that may have been diffused from the NV as basically already "being" West African to begin with. In other words, we are all African, so borrowing does not mean one civilization was greater than the other. I see no "Hamitic" theory at work if it all is proven with greater evidence and accepted as truth , as many West Africans have already, in the near future, by the larger community.

Could've posted this a month ago but thanks!

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is quite possible some W. Africans came via the Nile Valley, or perhaps the Sahara is more appropriate. The Sahara was once a massive, lush greenbelt covering one-third of Africa. We know the Saharans are a main source of the population the Nile Valley. It is not inconceivable that they moved West as well. Indeed some of the main West African empires are heavily linked to the Sahara. It could thus be argued that the key factor is the Sahara, a crucial motor of African evolution, including evolution of African civilizations. An article was referenced sometime ago on ES, but cant find the link.

Climate-Controlled Holocene Occupation in the Sahara: Motor of Africa's Evolution
by Rudolph Kuper and Stefan Kröpelin*

Radiocarbon data from 150 archaeological excavations in the now hyper-arid Eastern Sahara of Egypt, Sudan, Libya, and Chad reveal close links between climatic variations and prehistoric occupation during the past 12,000 years. Synoptic multiple-indicator views for major time slices demonstrate the transition from initial settlement after the sudden onset of humid conditions at 8500 B.C.E. to the exodus resulting from gradual desiccation since 5300 B.C.E. Southward shifting of the desert margin helped trigger the emergence of pharaonic civilization along the Nile, influenced the spread of pastoralism throughout the continent, and affects sub-Saharan Africa to the present day.

-------------------------------

The debate question oft heard as to "Egyptian influence on the rest of Africa" perhaps should be flipped on its head. Too often it claimed or alleged that those who challenge Eurocentric concepts are trying to appropriate the glory of Egypt as if such glories appeared out of thin air. Such challengers though have nothing to "appropriate." The starting point was the Sahara, an African foundation and African genesis. The Nile Valley was shaped heavily by this foundation, and that shaping also extended to other parts of Africa, from the North to the West. Any "appropriation" is from the Sahara and/or Sudan to the Nile Valley.

Behind that is the evolutionary thread from sub-Saharan Africa to East Africa and on to the rest of the globe. Claims that alleged 'Afrocentrists' seek "inspiration" from Egypt are misguided in this sense. The original "inspiration" was from the Saharan foundations, indigenous development on the ground, that eventually morphed into the NV civilization.

A favorite Eurocentric dodge is to make invidious comparisons between Egyptian civ and "black" Africa. But since Egypt civ grew out of the Saharan/Sudanic roots of "black" Africa, and can be clearly seen and documented, such "comparisons" are starkly irrelevant.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com