EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Did The Kemites Wrote Any Musical Notations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did The Kemites Wrote Any Musical Notations
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering did the Kemites wrote their music down and did any of it survived...if so what did it sound like? also what about other classic African Civilizations.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I read they didn't have a system of notation for their music. And what do you mean what about other African civilizations.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ebony, I Am talking About civilizations like Axum,Mali,Songhay,Christian Nubia etc.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebsen
Member # 13728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebsen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very intersting question ! I recall many years ago their was some buzz about finding the muscial scale that the ancient (Kemites) Egyptians used from a flute that had been unearthed. The article stated that it was very close if not a perfect match to the western tonal scale.

Who really knows ? I've heard African music & singing that sounded very simular to chinese esp. the singing with a pronounced nasel quality.I would like to find out what Randy Western the muscian/musicologist who has a passion for African music & sound would say on the matter.a good example is his album (Khepera) 98"

What I do hate is when films etc. try to add music to ancient (Kemet) Egypt that sounds like Middle Eastern Arab music, I really hate that when it is done. It leads one to believe that ancient (Kemet) Egypt was always a middle Eastern Arab civilazation which we know is a flat out LIE !

Posts: 135 | From: Bay Area | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebsen
Member # 13728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebsen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, it is Randy Weston ! [Razz]
Posts: 135 | From: Bay Area | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I really hate that too but lack of knowlage caused me not to protest too much,....cause I don't what I should I be listening to some times I imagine that it would sound like Ethiopian Church music but that only a guess. and that does not include music for celibrations and and what not.
Nebsen
Member # 13728

Rate Member
Brada-Anansi

if you can, you should check out the album by Alice Coltrane & Pharoah Sanders, "Ptah The EL Daoud", if you are into Jazz . Alice Coltrane has a piece I'm sure, if you have not heard it will grab your attention; it is called "Blue Nile". It never fails to transport me back to Kush/Kemet. A very beautiful piece. It is on the Impulse label track 3, (1970) [Wink]

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Thanks Nebsen,will do...also if you get the chance checkout Augstus Pablo,East Of The River Nile. [Cool]
Nebsen
Member # 13728

Rate Member
Brada-Anansi
You are welcome, & thanks for that info. on music, I'm always on the look out for new sounds. I hope others add to this thread, which I find most exciting !! [Razz]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presently, we have no evidence of a musical notation within ancient Egypt. It is mentioned in the works of Greek writers like Plato that ancient Egyptians had notation and taught the Greeks about music. However, we have no archaeological evidence of such a notation. Reconstructing the music of ancient Egypt is unclear but many believe that the modern Coptic church in Egypt has music similiar to the ancient Egyptians. Possibly the music of the rural Egyptians are direct desendants of the music of the commoners of ancient Egypt. I recommend you check out a book entitled Music and Musicians of ancient Egypt by Lise Manniche
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com