EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The beginnings of Art: Africa not Europe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The beginnings of Art: Africa not Europe
Masuyi
Member # 16939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masuyi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this link and decided to start a new thread.

http://cogweb.ucla.edu/ep/Blombos.html

Rate Member Icon 1 posted December 15, 2009 08:42 PM Profile for Kemit11 Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Mindovermatter stated:

During three discrete periods, ca. 120,000-110,000 years, 50,000- 45,000 and 10,000-8,000 years ago, substantially more trees grew in Sahara and the Sahel, indicating significantly wetter conditions than at present. The two oldest periods exactly coincide with times when the earliest humans were migrating out of East Africa to northern Africa, the Middle East, Asia and eventually Europe. At these times, the wetter conditions in central North Africa likely enabled humans to cross this normally inhospitable region, allowing them to migrate into other continents. When climate in the Sahara and Sahel turned dry again, humans were forced out of these areas causing genetic and cultural changes in already inhabited regions such as Northern Africa and the Middle East.

I enthusiastically concur with Mindovermatter. These three period are critical in human evolution as well as technological development.

During the earliest period, before 95,000 modern Homo Sapiens replaced Neanderthal populations (the first OOA) in caves of what is now Israel, only to be replaced again by the cold-adapted N once returning glaciation recreated harsh conditions. Apparently,tool industry had not advanced significantly enough for HS to prevail in this colder drier climate. Advanced tool making, was not the immediate most significant change in human activity as had been assumed. There is evidence that earliest HS was engaged in extracting earth pigments from the ground. So far no examples of this early "ART EXPRESSION" have been found that survived from this extremely early date. However, this 'Painting' is recognized as an early indications of the ability for symbolic thought! This CANNOT be over emphasized.

In Africa, by 80,000-70,000 years ago, the first examples of the so called "modern tool kit" emerged: (Bead making, micro blade, etc...) This was way before the highly touted Neolithic Revolution of Central Asia around 40.000 years ago.

This brings us to the second interglacial period: 50,000-45,000 years ago. As we know HS were already migrating along the southern route across Arabia and into S.E. Asia & Australia. It was a combination of warmer climate and adapted tool technology that allowed HS to eventually replace N, who were physically adapted to relying nearly exclusivly on hunting migrating herds, with a minimum of gathering under the extreme glacial conditions.

At last,we come the most recent time that the Sahara was a green savanna 10,000-8,000 years ago. During this time black or negroid people; the Baderians for example, lived in the central Sahara. Also the Natufian, who from their bones, were immediately recognized as negroid, moved into Mesopotamia from Africa. Back when I was in school; circa late 1970's it was flat out denied that agriculture and cattle-herding had an early developement in the Sahara. My professors simply dismissed these findings as errors in dating.

The BIG PICTURE is: white supremacist continue to fall back into this old notion of the "true negro" in an attempt to marginalize and stigmatize black people. This is because they are worried their dominance in the world is eroding and also they are desperately trying to hold on to their erroneous belief in the idea of white purity.

And I have to also add: It is clear that it was the environment in Africa that allowed for the evolution of modern humans. Eurocentrists are infuriated over this revelation and even now continue attempts to chip away at (Out Of Africa). Technology is a learned behavior. If a subjected group BELIEVES that they are inferior, then they are less likely to learn behaviors that will free them from being dominated.

Posts: 84 | From: Oakland, Caifornia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ This issue was discussed before. How could art begin in Europe and not Africa if the latter is the birthplace of the humanity and the human mind itself??!
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masuyi
Member # 16939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masuyi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti said,
[/QUOTE]^ This issue was discussed before. How could art begin in Europe and not Africa if the latter is the birthplace of the humanity and the human mind itself??! [QUOTE]

Noted, I'm new here. I have had time to examine other threads. I am taking these issues to the (Ancient Egypt) forums because here in Eggptology it is off topic.

Posts: 84 | From: Oakland, Caifornia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com