EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egyptian pyramid builders were NOT slaves!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian pyramid builders were NOT slaves!!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1242096/Tomb-discovery-helps-solve-ancient-slavery-riddle-pyramids.html
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The location of tombs discovered in Egypt helps prove the men who built the great pyramids were not slaves after all, say archeologists.

A set of tombs belonging to the workers who built them has been discovered which sheds light on how they lived and ate more than 4,000 years ago.

The thousands of men who built the last remaining wonder of the ancient world regularly ate meat and worked three-month rotating shifts.

They were so well regarded they were also given the honour of being buried in mud brick tombs within the shadow of the sacred pyramids they worked on if they died during construction.
"

Well it's been known for years now, specifically among those educated in ancient Egypt, that the pyramid builders were not slaves but free citizens who participated in a civic duty. I find even more impressive that not only were the workmen treated well but that they were honored with state burials of their own when they died in labor. Very unlike the Chinese citizens who were forced to construct the Great Wall under the tyrannical rule of the first Emperor under harsh conditions with little food, most of whom died and were buried under the walls.

Then again, I'm not that surprised considering all the evidence found about the Old Kingdom's excellent federal systems and bureaucracy that enabled the pharaoh's people to carry out such large-scale construction projects under ideal working conditions. Even the citizens were able to construct a large reservoir from the Nile under the reign of the first king Mena.

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did the idea that slaves built the pyramids
get its start? Didn't some Graeco-Roman author
write that the labor was done during Nile flood
when agricultural workers were largely idle? It
was national effort that every citizen could be
proud of upon completion. No?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I believe Herodotus was one of the earliest authors who described the pyramid builders as slaves. I don't know if he was exactly the first one to make this claim, but I doubt it. It's understandable why a Greek or Roman would think that, considering that all heavy labor done in their cultures was the work of slaves. Unlike Greco-Roman society, Egypt did not have many slaves nor were they dependent on them. Besides, slaves were generally considered unworthy of building sacred monuments like temples to the gods or tombs and shrines to the pharaohs (who were thought to be gods also). So apparently this is just another one of Herodotus's claims that turns out to be bogus, along with the claim that Khufu's daughter had her queen's pyramid built by earning each and every brick by prostituting herself to a man! [Eek!] So it seems Herodotus is more trustworthy when it comes things he actually witnessed like the Nile river flowing south to north or the Egyptians being black people.
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Herodotus call the laborers slaves or workmen?
He does say they were conscripts, i.e., forced to work,
but that's a far cry from owned.

Where did Herodotus get his info? Was it from tour
guide priests or pure fabrication?

What about the tale of that pharoah's daughter selling
herself to amass funds for her father's pyramid and a
block from each trick to set aside for a pyramid of her
own. That'd imply payment for somebody.

Are there any records how the contemporary AEs esteemed
Khufu or how later generationss remembered him?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
get its start?

I'm willing to bet it was started by you Jews. Y'all in the habit of making sh!t up: from wild numbers of deaths recorded in the Talmud and of course mother of them all, the holocaust.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
get its start?...

(Music please)

"Hooray for Hollywood!

That phoney, super coney Hollywood..." [Smile]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Djehuti has pretty much summed up and clarified the whole
matter.

I can only add that the concept and practice of the slave class in African society
can best be illustrated by the language.

From the Mdu Ntr:

Ibata - servant, slave

eiriou - working men, slaves, servants

aobt - slave, worker

bak - manservant, slave, workman, laborer

merut - serfs, servants, peasants, hereditary servants

hem - slave, servant

A concept that is the diametrically opposite of that of Greece, Rome,
the United States, Britain, Portugal...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only now, is this being parceled out in "western" mass media, the idea that slaves were not builders of the pyramids. Funny. This was long figured out here on ES; I could have told them this some three, four or five years ago, as I had done here. If nothing else, they could have at least gotten a cue from their beloved Zahi.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Not just here in Egyptsearch but even the Egyptological community by and large have for a long while now acknowledged that there is no evidence to suggest that construction of the pyramids or other monuments of Egypt were done by slaves but instead by paid citizens. Even Hawass has been repeating this fact over and over to the public in TV programs and broadcasts. I don't know why the media makes this appear like new news just because the tombs of workers were discovered!

Hey, a better question would be when will the truth of ancient Egypt's black African identity be revealed to the general public??

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The media is not news driven. The media is profit
driven. Headline sensationalism = $ale$ Slavery is
"reader" attractive, workers' tombs isn't.

**** responsible reporting. Gotta turn a profit. Gotta eat.
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
I don't know why the media makes this appear like new news just because the tombs of workers were discovered!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com