EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Etymology (Phoenician, Maures)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Etymology (Phoenician, Maures)
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are your opinions on this etymology?:

Phoenician:
late 14c., from M.Fr. phenicien, from L. Phoenice, from Gk. Phoinike, [U]perhaps lit. "land of the purple" (source of purple dye)[/U]. Identical with phoenix (q.v.), but the relationship is obscure.

Moor:
"North African, Berber," 1390, from O.Fr. More, from M.L. Morus, from L. Maurus "inhabitant of Mauritania" (northwest Africa, a region now corresponding to northern Algeria and Morocco), from Gk. Mauros, [u]perhaps a native name[/u], or else cognate with mauros "black" ([u]but this adj. only appears in late Gk. and may as well be from the people's name as the reverse)[/u]. Being a dark people in relation to Europeans, their name in the Middle Ages was a synonym for "Negro;" later (16c.-17c.) used indiscriminately of Muslims (Persians, Arabs, etc.) but especially those in India.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did we need opinions when we have dictionaries

DICTIONARY OF GREEK AND ROMAN GEOGRAPHY 1854
William Smith, L.L.D.

"...MAURI Μαυροί, “Blacks,” in the Alexandrian dialect, Paus. i, 33 § 5, 8.43. [2.297] § 3; Sal. Jug. 19; Pomp. Mela, 1.4.3; Liv. 21.22, 28.17; Hor. Carm. 1.22. 2, 2.6. 3, 3.10. 18; Tac. Ann. 2.52, 4.523, 14.28, Hist. 1.78, 2.58, 4.50; Lucan 4.678; Juv. 5.53, 6.337; Flor. 3.1, 4.2); hence the name MAURETANIA (the proper form as it appears in inscriptions, Orelli, Inscr. 485, 3570, 3672; and on coins, Eckhel, vol. vi. p. 48; comp. Tzchucke, ad Pomp. Mela, 1.5.1) or MAURITANIA (Μαυριτανία, Ptol. 4.1.2; Caes. B.C. 1.6, 39; Hirt. B. Afr. 22; Pomp. Mela, 1.5; Plin. Nat. 5.1; Eutrop. 4.27, 8.5; Flor. iv. (the MSS. and printed editions vary between this form and that of Mauretania); ἡ Μαυρούσιων γῆ, Strab. p. 827). These Moors, who must not be considered as a different race from the Numidians, but as a tribe belonging to the same stock, were represented by Sallust (Sal. Jug. 21) as a remnant of the army of Hercules, and by Procopius (B. V. 2.10) as the posterity of the Cananaeans who fled from the robber (ληστής) Joshua; he quotes two columns with a Phoenician inscription. Procopius has been supposed to be the only, or at least the most ancient, author who mentions this inscription, and the invention of it has been attributed to himself; it occurs, however, in the history of Moses of Chorene (1.18), who wrote more than a century before Procopius. The same inscription is mentioned by Suidas (s. v. Χανάαν), who probably quotes from Procopius. According to most of the Arabian writers, who adopted a nearly similar tradition, the indigenous inhabitants of N. Africa were the people of Palestine, expelled by David, who passed into Africa under the guidance of Goliah, whom they call Djalout. (St. Martin, Le Beau, Bas Empire, vol. xi. p. 328; comp. Gibbon, c. xli.) These traditions, though so ... "

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But according to my first dictionary the cognation with black is relatively recent.

That dictionary seems to believe that the Maures are Canaanites. I guess he never knew what the Berbers are, he didn't mention them at all.

You know the great Berber hero Antaios? He has been died in Tangier (countries of the Maures). The Greeks depicted him lighter than themselves.

-

You know the Ibero-maurusians or the so-called "Mekta-afalou"? They have inhabited the Moorish countries. Those blondish people of ancient Moorish countries are their descendants. The ibero-maurusians are somehow like the European cromagnon.

-

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:
But according to my first dictionary the cognation with black is relatively recent...

You know the great Berber hero Antaios? He has been died in Tangier (countries of the Maures). The Greeks depicted him lighter than themselves.

[IMG]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Iberomaurisiense-Capsiense_.png/800px-Iberomaurisiense-Capsiense_.png[/IMG]

It doesn't say anything about recent. "Alexandrian" equals Late Greek. That was two thousand years ago. Antaeus was not a "Berber hero". He was a hero for the Greeks and was said to have been born in Libya. The Greeks portrayed all of their Gods as light in color at one time or another -including Diana who was at times called "the Ethiopian". And Hercules who was called "the Indian" or Zeus "the black-bottomed". Look at Casseiopeia - Queen of Ethiopia! [Roll Eyes]

Of course the names of their Gods were derived from the "Ethiopians" according to the Greeks.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
I am sorry but Ibero-Mauresian and Capsian people are not ancestral to mesocranic blond haired Europeans. NOR were most of the Cromagnons who had tropical traits resembled long-headed NEGROES in a larger form! And yes Cro-Magnon's were related to early Mechta man.

"The importance of the skeleton of the Cro- Magnon type is that in stature, prognathousism they exhibit approximation to the Negro Type more than any other which have been found in Europe.” P. 56 Origin of the Aryans...1889 by Isaac Taylor.

1896 - Willis Boughton, The History of Ancient Peoples, pp. 334-337" Archeologists ahave found remains of three races in Europe. Two of these are generally classes as blacks , may be known as the Constant and the Cro-Magnon Race.”

2006 - “If this analysis shows nothing else it demonstrates that the oft repeated European feeling that the Cro-Magnons are ‘us’ is more a product of anthropological folklore than the result of the metric data available from the skeletal remains.”
This last quote is from the article "The Questionable contribution of the Neolithic and the Bronze Age to European craniofacial form", C. Loring Brace, Noriko Seguchi, Conrad B. Quintyn, Sherry C. Fox, A. Russell Nelson, Sotiris K. Manolis, and Pan Qifeng Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, U S A. 2006 January 3; 103(1): 242–247.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
He was a hero for the Greeks and was said to have been born in Libya.

The Greeks said he has been born in Libay, because he was Berber. Many were born in Libay, but Antaios was considired as "Berber" by the Greeks.

quote:

Of course the names of their Gods were derived from the "Ethiopians" according to the Greeks.

I believe they said that the most are Egyptians, excepts Poseidon who was adopted from the Berbers.

quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
I am sorry but Ibero-Mauresian and Capsian people are ....

I don't know alot, but i found a reconstruction of the North African Cro-magnon.
http://www.daynes.com/en/reconstructions/homo_sapiens,4.php

But this ancestor is just partial. The most of the Maures are descendants of Capsians. But those Capsians might also be descendants of the North African Cro-magnon. am I mistaken?

fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good pics mazigh. i have been through tetouan and tangier and their are a considerable amount of people who look like those pics. i as shocked when i wazlked through southern spain(algeciras aljazeeratul khadra) and found spaniards who looked like moroccans. even the accents are the same.

--------------------
لا اله الا الله و محمد الرسول الله

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
The cro-magnon was, probably, moslty represented on the Canaray Islands:
 -

Thus, i think the early descriptions of the Guanches can give more light on those people.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Like I said - sometimes its not a matter of what we think. There is such a thing as scientific evidence.

We have already discussed the Gaunches and the diverse populations that inhabited the area over time at different periods on another post on this forum. Maybe u should take the time to see whats already been found.

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
 -
Recent Cro-magnon reconstruction.

Funny thing is the pics u showed of Africans turn out to be different then the Cro-Magnon they were very much related to. Wonder how that happened!

The importance of the skeleton of the Cro- Magnon type is that in stature, prognathousism they exhibit approximation to the Negro Type more than any other which have been found in Europe.” P. 56 Origin of the Aryans...1889 by Isaac Taylor.

1896 - Willis Boughton, The History of Ancient Peoples, pp. 334-337" Archeologists ahave found remains of three races in Europe. Two of these are generally classes as blacks , may be known as the Constant and the Cro-Magnon Race.”

2006 - “If this analysis shows nothing else it demonstrates that the oft repeated European feeling that the Cro-Magnons are ‘us’ is MORE A PRODUCT OF ANTHROPOLOGICAL FOLKLORE than the result of the metric data available from the skeletal remains.”

"The Questionable Contribution of the Neolithic and the Bronze Age to European craniofacial form", C. Loring Brace, Noriko Seguchi, Conrad B. Quintyn, Sherry C. Fox, A. Russell Nelson, Sotiris K. Manolis, and Pan Qifeng Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, U S A. 2006 January 3; 103(1): 242–247.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com