EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egyptsearch WEBSITE project… taking information to the next level (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egyptsearch WEBSITE project… taking information to the next level
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelaninKing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by astenb:
Are their any copyright issues with Having research papers [that were once behind a pay wall] freely available? Or can you distribute them as you see fit?

Ask Google. They have managed to digitise over 5,000,000 "copyrighted" and published books/papers and placed them in the public domain.
Publishing houses aren't thrilled, but what can they do. Their days are over. Today, the "free" public domain internet rules.

http://www.nationalpost.com/scripts/story.html?id=1954115

Posts: 2403 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmer Menes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paper's wont be made available on the site without permission of the author, full stop. I've already emailed a few writer's and awaiting response...

quote:
Originally posted by astenb:
Are their any copyright issues with Having research papers [that were once behind a pay wall] freely available? Or can you distribute them as you see fit?

Posts: 365 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Narmer, your site is going to fail. It is going to fail because it will not be an academic site. You will put together a site designed to promote the idea of a black egypt. The result will be that you will attract a small crowd of people interested in the view. The larger academic community will show no interest in the site.

--------------------
The tree of liberty is watered by the blood of tyrants.

Posts: 2036 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmer Menes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Must be difficult watching your world crumble around you...
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
Narmer, your site is going to fail. It is going to fail because it will not be an academic site. You will put together a site designed to promote the idea of a black egypt. The result will be that you will attract a small crowd of people interested in the view. The larger academic community will show no interest in the site.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the contrary I think it can succeed. Once the material is there people will look at it. The only issue may be permissions as Astenb pointed out.

But as MK said "who cares" these days of the internet. If you wait for permission then you may have a looong wait.

I like the idea of a one stop shop. If you are based outside the US then you may be untouchable.

Keep it scholarly and you will succeed. I am willing to upload what I have.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the point, it will not be scholarly. You will have the same 12 people posting over and over just as you do here.
Posts: 2036 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Paper's wont be made available on the site without permission of the author, full stop.

If I need to garner information on a particular paper, I will simply write a review on that paper and source it extensively, similarly to the article by Charles Finch that I've linked you to. There are ways around copyright that don't involve law breaking. I am seeking longevity and credibility for this project, so it's important we do things right from the jump.

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
On the contrary I think it can succeed. Once the material is there people will look at it. The only issue may be permissions as Astenb pointed out.

But as MK said "who cares" these days of the internet. If you wait for permission then you may have a looong wait.

I like the idea of a one stop shop. If you are based outside the US then you may be untouchable.

Keep it scholarly and you will succeed. I am willing to upload what I have.

Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
Oh and we know how objective that review will be done. The only points stressed will be whether the peper can be twisted and morphed into some kind of support for a negro egypt.
Since we have never seen you do a proper review yet Narmer are you holdng some secret talent back?

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck. If you need stuff I have post in this thread.

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
BTW. Myra's site is going great. Over 1-million hits.

@ Hammer these are NOT the same 10 guys visiting the site. LOL.

--------------------

Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
She has the same contributors over and over. There is no academic support for your position xyy. Most teachers and profs think you guys are a fringe, non mainstream bunch.
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
" no one takes you all seriously". That line is getting old.

So. These 10 gus hit the site over a million times? Riiight!

--------------------

Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
A hit and a contributor are two different things. I make my living teaching American students histiy xyy, obviously somebody takes me seriously.
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
There aren't enough qualified teachers. (wink)

--------------------

Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
xyy, you should take one of my classes. You would have to do proper research to pass. Indeed, you might find the proper was rewarding.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com