EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The sphynx: Bouhallou?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The sphynx: Bouhallou?
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the sphynx was built before the pyramids, he belongs neither to Khoufo nor to his son.

But this sphynx might have had a lion-head. Later was he changed in a human-head, and made also longer. This change possibly occured in the period of building the pyramids. Like some pharaohs changed the name of the early ones by their name in the temples to claim their buildings, it might have also be the same for this Spynx. am I right?

The sphynx is known by the modern Egyptians as "Abou al houl" (the father of the terror).
If I'm not mistaken, this sphynx was not mintioned in the hierogliefs, right? If so, this means his original name is not known.

If the name "Abou al houl" (father of terror) is based on an Ancient Egyptian name. Can this be related to a Berber name meaning lion "Bouhallou".

The name "Bouhallou" is one of the lion's names in the Berber languages. Other names are Izem and Tayri. In the Riffian language,it seems that the name "Bouhallou" is the most (if not the only) name for the Lion.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are mistaken.

The "Sphinx" is mentioned in rn mdw.
HorEmAkhet and RaHorAkhti.

Abu al Hul is not from Berber.
EgAr Abu al Hul derives from AE BwHol.
It is an unrelated homophone.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, i cannot claim it is from Berber. I do suggest that it can be also found in the Berber language, since both of them are Hamitic, or are an african part of the Afro-asiatic languages.

Can you tell me more about "BwHol"?

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say buhallu in Riffian is the word for lion.
What is the AE word for lion?
How are they alike or dissimilar?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Labo or Rabo [Big Grin]

Makes me think of Ribu or Libu [Big Grin]

Why do you ask this?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Do you know the AE word for lion?
Yes or no?
Guess work is no good.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
[Smile] You'are one of the best knowers in this world, that i'm not familiar with Ancient Egyptian language. I'm even not familiar with English [Big Grin]

Type this in google, and see the results:
"The lion, which in Egyptian or Coptic, was called labo"

Let me know what you did find!

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
How can you relate Riffian buhallu to an AE meaning
for lion if you don't know any AE words for lion?

Enthusiasm is no substitute for research.

What are some other meanings for this Riffian word
buhallu? Does it just mean lion or does it characterize
something in particular about a lion?

Does buhallu apply only to a lion or are there
other concepts in association with that word?

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following words mean "lion" in the Mdu Ntr:

shno
thaml
dudu
tutu
oam
oul
boh
pah (mighty, poweful as a lion)
moui (also in Coptic)
meou
emou
li
laboi (also in Coptic)
lema
khepe

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
What are some other meanings for this Riffian word
buhallu? Does it just mean lion or does it characterize
something in particular about a lion?

Does buhallu apply only to a lion or are there
other concepts in association with that word? [/QB]

I was mistaken when i said that the word would be "Bouhallou". This name is found in algeria. But it seems that the Riffian name for the lion is "Buharou" with R and not with L as i thought.

The B seems also to be not original. It may have been "W". Thus "Wuharu", but it became "Buharu" in some Berber variants (like as Riffian).

The words change. I gave the exemple of Libu/Libu. This name was Lugwatan, and later "Luwata" in Arabic sources. The distiction of B and H are relatif.

Another name "Poseidon". Herodotus said that it is a Libyan name. Those Libyans have to be Berber speaking, since the Berber language existed with the Capsian Culture (1000 - 6000 bc). But the question is what does Poseidon mean? The P doesn't exist in Berber. Was it then Buseidon, like the "bu" of buharru? Or was it Fuseidon, like in Aper and Afer? or Wuseidon like the exemple of buharu and Waharu? So how about the rest of the words [Big Grin]

In the Egyptian language, we find the goddess "Teweret". A name that has a strong berber look [Big Grin] without meaning it was Berber. The T..T is a normal female name. The word "Teweret" might be found in the Berber language as "Tawarot" "a baby of recent Birth". This name is related to the verbu "Aru" (to give birth).

It is not always a question of enthusiasm. It is not totally alogic. The Berber and Egyptian languages must cross thesmelves at any point. Like with other afro-asiatic languages.

http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/response.cgi?root=config&morpho=0&basename=\data\semham\brbet&first=281
Proto-Afro-Asiatic: *ʔa-rVw-

Meaning: lion

Berber: *HVwar- 'lion'

Egyptian: rw (pyr) 'lion'

Central Chadic: *ruw- 'hyaena' Cf. N 1666 'wild cat'

East Chadic: *ʔa-ruw- 'leopard'1, 'lion' 2

Low East Cushitic: *ʔar- 'lion'

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
One thing at a time.

Mazigh please stick to the point I'm trying to get
at, which is what are the connotations of buharu.

At any rate 'l' and 'r' are interchangeable in AEL.

Is buharu one word or is it maybe buha-ru or bu-ha-ru?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
OK.

You know that there are now no Lions in North Africa. But once, there were there.
Taking into consideration that the Berber language is kept orally in use. The words which are not more needed (like a lion) are not well known and some become forgotten. Therefore, it happens that many of the Berber people wouldn't known the name of the lion.

Answer:
The cannotation with the lion is like in other language, but mostly "freightening".

According to me, the word "Bouharru" is a one word. But it sounds like the "bou" is an apart preffix.
(Read this if you can read french)
http://www.asays.com/article.php3?id_article=197

I don't know whether you search a connection between the name Buharru and Abu lhul. But it seems that the head of the lion was associated with solar disc.

L'alphabet latin serait-il d'origine berbčre? Mebarek Slaouti Taklit (also in french).

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
One thing at a time.

Mazigh please stick to the point I'm trying to get
at, which is what are the connotations of buharu.

At any rate 'l' and 'r' are interchangeable in AEL.

Is buharu one word or is it maybe buha-ru or bu-ha-ru?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Why I used enthusiast.

When one bypasses researching AE records for the
name of the "Sphinx" and propose a "Berber" word
one is a Berber enthusiast when one couples that
with numerous propositions for "Berbers" being at
root of aspects of AE civilization.

It's uncertain what language pre and early dynasty
era Tehhenu spoke before some of them were forced
into the unification of the lower Nile Valley.

It is certain that the AEs felt no bonds of sameness
with the Temehhu and those ranked as Temehhu. In
the AE's opinion the broad category of Temehhu were
seen as from a different creator than the AEs and ASs
(ancient Sudanis) whom they viewed as relations
from the same creator as part of the Black Community.

AEs perceived Temehhu as Red Community members
related to the A3mw of the Arabian plate lands and
peoples.

There just isn't any historical basis for ancient "Libyans"
enjoying civilization on the level of
the AEs and ASs.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Buharu is one word, according to me.
Actually, i don't thing there is any cannotation with it. It means just "lion".

---

If you search the symbolic value of the lion in the ancient Berber culture, then it is the solar disc. He may have represented more then symbol. But this is what i know. The association is due to his hair which is compared with solar radius.

But it is not the tamahu who were familiar with the egyptians. It was the Tehenu. The scholars believe that the Egyptians didn't distinguish them in the early periods.

"Ash was usually depicted as a human, whose head was one of the desert creatures, variously being shown as a lion, vulture, hawk, or snake."

"The first known recorded mention of Ash dates to the Protodynastic Period, but by the late 2nd Dynasty, his importance grew, and he was seen as protector of the royal estates, since his lover, Set, in Lower Egypt, was regarded as the patron deity of royalty itself. Ash's importance was such that he was mentioned even until the 26th Dynasty."
http://www.egyptiandreams.co.uk/ash.php

---
Libyan influence?
"
An Italian team of archaeologists first explored the Libyan Sahara almost fifty years ago. In 1958 they struck gold. Professor Fabrizio Mori discovered the black mummy at the Uan Muhuggiag rockshelter. The mummy of a young boy, Uan Muhuggiag was destined for controversy. He was older than any comparable Egyptian mummy and his mere existence challenged the very idea that Egyptians were the first in the region to mummify their dead."

"The most interesting to me was what it said about the influence of the ancient libyan mythology of the Egyptian one. The team showed a depiction on the stone of human with an amimal's head. According to the team, it was older than the Egyptian traditions.
The influence was also supported by ancient potteries which are believed to be imported by the Egyptians from Libya." (this was orignally written by me on the basis of a documentary film).

Read also:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006692

"There can be no reasonable doubt that the Proto-Egyptians were the kinsmen of
the Proto-Libyans ; but both were modified,"
egyptians

The feathers of the Egyptian deities are remarkable:
 -

Since the feathers were typic for the Libyans, and meant the west (country of the Libyans), and this west was called "ament". The lands of the spirits? A Berber word is iman (spirit). This country of the spirits is the underworld. This underworld was ruled by Osiris, and human with an animal head. In the link of Libyan egyptian relationships, it is said that even the serpent symbol might als have been a Libyan ornament and cult.

This is another topic, but OK, nice to write!

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
OK then I can't connect buharu with AE words for
either lion or lion's roar. Nor is buharu related
to BwHol/r.

Conclusion: no "Berber" connection to the Sphinx
nor to Egyptic words naming the Sphinx. The root
*HVwar looks distantly related to other Afrisan
roots for lion except for its two lead letters and
the metisthesis of 'r' and 'w.'

Feathers? Meaningless. We did this to death with
you a couple of years ago. Feathers = enthusiasm.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Yes, it is true, the possibility that it can be related to the berber word might be less then 0,01 percent.
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
Bumped for review

Also see

Age Of The Sphinx
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000035.html

'Answer' found to riddle of Sphinx
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/001095.html

The Real Scorpion King
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000351.html

Egypt Week on Discovery Channel
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000973.html
(from a former member in the industry)

Of course you can do your own
archive search like so
site:egyptsearch.com sphinx
and add any other keywords
to help you find exactly what
you need.

And don't forget to keep in mind
what's known about the delta and
northern regions in the beginning
of the Holocene and what cultures
industries and peoples were then
around and their capabilities as
far as possibly erecting great
monuments.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com