EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » ot - Africa's etymology

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ot - Africa's etymology
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we leave the realms of the mythological, illogical,
and mystic, we are left with the origins of our modern
word Africa from the Aourigha Imazighen land owners
of a region (Ifriqiyya) in modern Tunisia where the Poeni
rented land to establish their city Qeret Hhadashat.

This tribe was the Aourigh. A land and its people often
share the same or a similar name, hence we have:
Aourigha => Afrika or Afarik => Afrika

See:
Joseph Ki-Zerbo
Afrique Histoire, Vol. 1, No.2 1982 , p.45
article: Where Does the Word AFRICA Come From?

cited from

UNESCO, Ki-Zerbo, J. (Editor)
Histoire Generale de l'Afrique Vol.1
Methodologie et Prehistoire Africaine

Paris: Jeune Afrique, 1980

Greek and Roman usages of Aphrikê and Africa stem from
the Poeni term taken from the indigenous tribes of what today
we call Tunisia. Fanciful derivations from aprike, aprica, and
Ophren are historically baseless suppositions.

Gerald Massey
Book of Beginnings
London: Wms & Norgale; 1881
Vol. 1, p. 28

is the source for Af-rui-ka (place of beginnings). Owners of
that book can please supply a citation which references a
Mdw Ntr textual origin for that phrase/term if Massey indeed
gives a Kmtyw source for his position. Note that Diop gives
Amami as the name of the AE ancestral regions. Af-rui-ka
and Amami both refer to the landmass upriver from Kmt.

The Roman cognomen Africanus was bestowed to generals
in honour of their battle victory. They never posessed such a
name before their war exploits against the Poeni Afer.

Afrika didn't originate as a Latin word with the Romans. Lewis
& Short
, in their A Latin Dictionary, note that the Romans
received the name Africa from the Carthaginians who used it
to designate their country. When the K*na`ani (Phoenicians)
first arrived, the name they chose for the country reflected the
fact that it was the land of the Aourigha/Afarika, the landholding
autochthon presumably Amazigh (Berber) people.

Lewis & Short see the Romans adapting Africa from the name
the Carthaginians themselves used. They find no native Greek
word Aphrikê but likewise see it as an adaptation. According
to Liddell & Scott in their A Greek - English Lexicon, aphrikti
(from phrikê) is the Greek word that means "without shuddering".
By perusal of climatic tables I find one would shiver just as much
on a night in Tunisia as they would on the northern shores of the
Mediterranean especially from November through April. Notice
that except for the months of December and January the average
temperature in Tunisia is colder than that of Greece.

Average temperatures from http://www.themed.net
for the countries Greece (top) and Tunisia (bottom)
code:
         Jan.  Feb.  Mar.  Apr.  May.  Jun.  Jul.  Aug.  Sep.  Oct.  Nov.  Dec.
Greece 53 55 60 66 77 84 89 89 82 73 64 57
Tunisia 53 54 56 60 67 74 80 81 77 69 61 65

Tunisia's majority ethny, living there when the K*na`ani founded Qeret
Hhaddashat
, were the Aourigha (as transcribed by Charles Tissot, and
Avrigha or Afrigha by others). The Aourighen are a clan of the Tuareg
who in turn are a tribe of Imazighen (Berbers). Knowing this dissolves the
need for comparatively fanciful and highly speculative etymologies for
the word Africa.

Afrika seems most likely derived from the name of the people the
K*na`ani found inhabiting Tunisia upon their arrival. It does not
come from fanciful explanations involving fruit, cold, sunshine,
separation, legendary personages, or post-Byzantine, post-Roman,
post-Greek, or Arab Muslim designations.

Before the Romans had their word Africa, the Greeks had their word Aphrikê,
and before that the Imazighen had the Afrigha tribe. The difference is that the
Greek and Roman words are not native to either language whereas Afrigha is
from the Tamazight root, F-R-GH.

"Africa" is not an original Latin word but borrowed from the Greek Aphrikê --
which only use in Greek was for "Africa" (the Afrigha being the people whom
the Ssuri paid to rent the land where they founded their new city Carthage
(Qeret Hhaddashat). They didn't take it from their own Semitic terms
"pharaqa" or "phariki."

There seems to be no connection between the Afrigha tribe, the generic
Afer/Ater peoples, and the AE Af-rui-ka designation. Af-rui-ka points
to places upriver but for places west of the Nile AE's used Amenti. This
suggests that our modern word Africa stems from the Tamazight language
rather than from the AE language.

Copyright © 2004 al~Takruri

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For more go to Etymology of Africa
Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a bit complicated [Smile]

It is said that the name Africa is got from the name the Romans. They used the name "Afer/Aper".

This name is said to be taken from the Carthagians.

The name Afer designated those who were not Carthagians in Northwest Africa, so Berbers.

Terentius Afer means therefore Terentius the African.

the Ca of Afri/ca may be due to the grammatical use of in Latin.

The name "Ifri" (plural of Afri/Afray ?) is still used. Older tribes had the name "Banu Yefren". (Arbic for the tribes descending from the Ifri).

I think we should go back to mythology agian:
This goddess , as far as i know, was originally a Berber goddess called "Ifri" (accordign to a moroccan historian/archeologist), and it seems to have adopted as "Africa" by the Romans.
So, it is believed that the original name of Africa would descend from her name:

-

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One ignores the fact of the Aourigha at one's
enthusiastic peril. The Aourigha / Afer looks

-  -

-  -

In Aourigha we have all the sound of Africa.
Where are the sounds of Africa in Ifri?
How do you supply the missing 'ca?'
Where are your sources and who are they?

I've sourced and cited actual ancient Greek
and Latin lexicons which show derivation from
either of those languages is unsound. Therefore
no Ifri + ca, an awkward mix of two different
language families less lone languages.

Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've come across this information before and am still trying to figure out what does the name Aourigha mean? I raised this in my book The Bakala of North America. Has any new research been able to ascertain the meaning behind the term?
Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most close word in my Berber variation is the word "awragh". This means "yellow" in the berber language.

The name "touareg" (twareg) is possibly related to this name. The name touareg is not an arabic name meaning "left behind" (or something like that).
The name comes from "tawargit" (or such name). I've to re-search it if needed, but you can do it self.

As the name africa is concerned. The goddess Africa is adopted from the Berbers by the Romans. The Berbers didn't use the name Africa. By the name "Ifri" which means "cave".
If so, i mean if it is true that it had this name "Ifri", but it became "Africa", then i don't have to explain the "ca" in the name.
(The source is an article of an arceologist and prof in the university of Mohamed V in rabat).

I think it is generally believed that the name began as "afer" or "aper". So, it is possible that the name became africa as it became latinized. Like: Numidia => Numidicus...

The name Africa was firstly applied to modern Tunisia. The Arabs called it "Ifriqya". That is possibly the reason why it has later been spread in the whole world.

Why in Tunesia? When the Romans were in war against the Carthagians, they repported that they colonized the land of the Ifri's. This means that those Ifri were not Carthagians, and thus, Berbers.

Tribes with such names are not unusual. Ex: benu yefra, and several places/cities having the name "Ifran" (or such names).

When the Romans destroyed Carthago, they took a Carthagian as young slave. He seems to have been Berber. Therefore he was called "Afer", this means he was not Carthagian (Punicius), but from those people of the Ifri. The relevance is that it has been used as an adjectif, most probably as the African.

Thus, in my opinion (not really of me [Big Grin] ), the name is based on the name Ifri. This name was a name of goddess as of a tribe. Is it possible that the tribe Ifri/Afer was called after the goddess Africa?

Any way, i found an interesting link for you, this explains the link between Afer/Ifri and Africa, like as i said, but it didn't mention the goddess Africa/Ifri:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/714549

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:
I've come across this information before and am still trying to figure out what does the name Aourigha mean? I raised this in my book The Bakala of North America. Has any new research been able to ascertain the meaning behind the term?

Are we talking about the Tuareg tribe of Kel Aurigh and Aurighen. That clan name has nothing to do with the name Ifriqiyah, Afarik, Afar or Ifren which comes from the Kel Ifuraces and Iforas tribes of Tuareg.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:
The most close word in my Berber variation is the word "awragh". This means "yellow" in the berber language.

The name "touareg" (twareg) is possibly related to this name. The name touareg is not an arabic name meaning "left behind" (or something like that).
The name comes from "tawargit" (or such name). I've to re-search it if needed, but you can do it self.

As the name africa is concerned. The goddess Africa is adopted from the Berbers by the Romans. The Berbers didn't use the name Africa. By the name "Ifri" which means "cave".
If so, i mean if it is true that it had this name "Ifri", but it became "Africa", then i don't have to explain the "ca" in the name.
(The source is an article of an arceologist and prof in the university of Mohamed V in rabat).

I think it is generally believed that the name began as "afer" or "aper". So, it is possible that the name became africa as it became latinized. Like: Numidia => Numidicus...

The name Africa was firstly applied to modern Tunisia. The Arabs called it "Ifriqya". That is possibly the reason why it has later been spread in the whole world.

Why in Tunesia? When the Romans were in war against the Carthagians, they repported that they colonized the land of the Ifri's. This means that those Ifri were not Carthagians, and thus, Berbers.

Tribes with such names are not unusual. Ex: benu yefra, and several places/cities having the name "Ifran" (or such names).

When the Romans destroyed Carthago, they took a Carthagian as young slave. He seems to have been Berber. Therefore he was called "Afer", this means he was not Carthagian (Punicius), but from those people of the Ifri. The relevance is that it has been used as an adjectif, most probably as the African.

Thus, in my opinion (not really of me [Big Grin] ), the name is based on the name Ifri. This name was a name of goddess as of a tribe. Is it possible that the tribe Ifri/Afer was called after the goddess Africa?

Any way, i found an interesting link for you, this explains the link between Afer/Ifri and Africa, like as i said, but it didn't mention the goddess Africa/Ifri:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/714549

Most names of Tuareg tribes and Afro-Asiatic tribes are of Gods and Goddesses including and espeically their tribal chiefs such as Ifrikus. And yes Hafir, Haphir, Afir, Apher in the African Asiatic dialects means cave or mine.

The Tuareg like Beja and other African Asiatic people name their locales, Argh, Uruk, Arak, Warka, Arik, or Ark, Khar it is both a name which signifies a womb or place of the tribe, hence Ta Uragh Ta Warigh.

Leaders of the tribes were often called Arig, Arkammon, Khar, as in Kharkasan, Kharkhar chiefs of of Nubia.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is nothing special to the so-called Afro-Asiatic language group as this is just a variation of the Niger-Congo word KA which denotes authority and is applied to God, Chiefs, Kings, and Leaders of households.

quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
Most names of Tuareg tribes and Afro-Asiatic tribes are of Gods and Goddesses including and espeically their tribal chiefs such as Ifrikus. And yes Hafir, Haphir, Afir, Apher in the African Asiatic dialects means cave or mine.

The Tuareg like Beja and other African Asiatic people name their locales, Argh, Uruk, Arak, Warka, Arik, or Ark, Khar it is both a name which signifies a womb or place of the tribe, hence Ta Uragh Ta Warigh.

Leaders of the tribes were often called Arig, Arkammon, Khar, as in Kharkasan, Kharkhar chiefs of of Nubia. [/QB]

You're not basing this on linguistics. The /u/ or /ou/ is pronounced as a /v/ sound. /v/, /f/, /b/ are common sound shifts within any language group. The /g/ with aspired /h/ can easily, and often turns into a /k/.

What you don't find in Afro-Asiatic, or any African languages to my knowledge, are endings of -ces. That is Indo-European. Therefore a Ifura-ces, as an indigenous rendering is unlikely.

Most scholars render it Afer or Aourigha. Afer and its variations are found all over Africa, especially in Niger-Congo languages (including Bantu) as Afar, Fura, Farima, So-Fala, Fari, Afura, etc. (where we get the term Pharaoh) all relating to the King, his office or a secret society. You find other variations as Poro or Boro.

The key is knowing the common sound shifts. KA, along with to, ta, tsi, tshi, se, si, ci, in Niger-Kongo designates land. IF the gha/ga is a local variation of ka (land), then the name simply means Land of the Afer/Ifri/Fari/Afura, etc.

quote:

Are we talking about the Tuareg tribe of Kel Aurigh and Aurighen. That clan name has nothing to do with the name Ifriqiyah, Afarik, Afar or Ifren which comes from the Kel Ifuraces and Iforas tribes of Tuareg

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A statement which I originally posted on this forum that, subsequently Rasta Livewire
chose to post on their website...

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/meaning-of-africa-wally/

Meaning of Africa – Wally

Cutting through the nonsense…

–Because the Greeks wrote “Hekipto” – the Egyptian name for Memphis – as “Aegyptos”-
all of a sudden “Egypt” becomes a “Greek” originated word!

–then there’s the gymnastics involved in giving a Greek origin to an African region “Ethosh”
by inventing a word that supposedly meant “Land of the Burnt Faces”; I could never find
this expression in either ancient or modern Greek. The earlier Western scholars- early 1900s –
had always maintained that the etymology of Ethiopia was from the Egyptian “Ethosh”

–Now, we come to our present topic where again, a Greek or a Roman origin for the name
for the African continent is always put forth…Usually, it’s something like “the Afer people(s),
there were many of these groups throughout northern Africa…” or having something to do
with “dust”. Never mind that there is never the culmination of the demonstration as to
where did the other part of the name “ka” originate; it’s certainly neither Greek nor Latin;
(People + “ka”), (Dust + “ka”)…it’s all nonsense, of course.

There is no linguistic gymnastics nor any contrived methods needed here in order to
demonstrate that the Ancient Egyptian expression “Afrikah” is the etymology of the name
of the Continent – Africa/Afrika…

Afer, Afre, Afri -

The most obvious approach in solving for “Ka” would be the Ancient African concept of “Ka” or genius;
or the other obvious one of “kau” for highlands. Although both would seem obvious choices, and
neither would be invalid, it is really the more simple “kah” for earth or soil.

kah –

Standard usage for the expression “hot earth” would be “KahAfri” or “KahAfer”, but if
you wish to say “heat of the earth” it would be “Afri kah” which is absolutely more plausible
than the lame effort to make “Africa” derive from the Greek “(a)phrike” (Αφρικ(ahf.ree.key))
– land without cold!

The etymology of the name “Africa” is from the Ancient Egyptian expression “Afrikah” – the
heat of the earth! …absolutely…

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afre, Afri
 -

Kah

-

Please note:

Mdu Ntr: Afrikah - "Heat of the earth" > Greek: Αφρικ(ahf.ree.key) ) – "land without cold" >>> (evolves to "Africa")

"Heat of the earth" & "Land without cold" are two ways of saying the same thing...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Your method is flawed @ Wally as you are totally neglecting history to make sense of your folk etymology. You still have to explain why is Africa, in the earliest attestations of the term, only in Roman records? And why does the territory they called Africa NOT extend to Egypt? Thirdly you will have to explain why there are NO PRIMARY RECORDS of ANY land masses along the Nile, or even foreign territories named AfriKah (according to your etymology)? And lastly, why do we NOT find in ANY dictionary the terms AFRI and KAH TOGETHER to form a word? Why does everyone post these words separate and not together, from a dictionary or primary text? Why do you NOT see any people or niwt determinative next to your words?

You're making stuff up Wally and that's not good scholarship.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ancient people of Africa and Asia did not have a concept of or use for "continents".
Europe and Asia are the same landmass, the separation is arbitrary and Africa is also connected .The concept of continents comes from the Greeks.
Supposedly they referred to the whole of Africa as "Libya" rather than the Libya we know today and not as "Africa".
The proper name for regions in ancient Africa are the individual names for each of the separate, tribal territories, villages and cities rather than a continental name.

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
The historian Leo Africanus (1495>1554) attributed the origin of the name 'Africa' to
the Greek word phrike (φρικε, meaning "cold and horror"), combined with the negating
prefix a-, so meaning a land free of cold and horror.

Evolution of words: Mdu Ntr > Greek > Modern English

Het ki Ptah (aa.ee.ktoh) > Αίγυπτος (aa.ee.gtoh) > Egypt

Ethosh (aa.tohsh) > Αιθιοπία (aa.toh.pee.ah) > Ethiopia

Afrikah (ah.free.kah) > Αφρική (ah.free.kee) > Africa

Afrikah: "hot earth/land"
Αφρική: "land free of cold"

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anguishofbeing:

quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
What is it with these moronic non responses??

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
The historian Leo Africanus (1495>1554) attributed the origin of the name 'Africa' to
the Greek word phrike (φρικε, meaning "cold and horror"), combined with the negating
prefix a-, so meaning a land free of cold and horror.

Evolution of words: Mdu Ntr > Greek > Modern English

Het ki Ptah (aa.ee.ktoh) > Αίγυπτος (aa.ee.gtoh) > Egypt

Ethosh (aa.tohsh) > Αιθιοπία (aa.toh.pee.ah) > Ethiopia

Afrikah (ah.free.kah) > Αφρική (ah.free.kee) > Africa

Afrikah: "hot earth/land"
Αφρική: "land free of cold"

for those who are still confused:

Afrikah & Αφρική are expressions that describe a climate; such as the expressions of "tropical", "temperate", "arctic"...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com