EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Cruciani et al 2011: New higher resolution PN2 clade phologeny

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cruciani et al 2011: New higher resolution PN2 clade phologeny
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A New Topology of the Human Y Chromosome Haplogroup E1b1 (E-P2) Revealed through the Use of Newly Characterized Binary Polymorphisms

Beniamino Trombetta1, Fulvio Cruciani1, Daniele Sellitto1,2, Rosaria Scozzari

Haplogroup E1b1, defined by the marker P2, is the most represented human Y chromosome haplogroup in Africa. A phylogenetic tree showing the internal structure of this haplogroup was published in 2008. A high degree of internal diversity characterizes this haplogroup, as well as the presence of a set of chromosomes undefined on the basis of a derived character. Here we make an effort to update the phylogeny of this highly diverse haplogroup by including seven mutations which have been newly discovered by direct resequencing. We also try to incorporate five previously-described markers which were not, however, reported in the 2008 tree. Additionally, during the process of mapping, we found that two previously reported SNPs required a new position on the tree. There are three key changes compared to the 2008 phylogeny. Firstly, haplogroup E-M2 (former E1b1a) and haplogroup E-M329 (former E1b1c) are now united by the mutations V38 and V100, reducing the number of E1b1 basal branches to two. The new topology of the tree has important implications concerning the origin of haplogroup E1b1. Secondly, within E1b1b1 (E-M35), two haplogroups (E-V68 and E-V257) show similar phylogenetic and geographic structure, pointing to a genetic bridge between southern European and northern African Y chromosomes. Thirdly, most of the E1b1b1* (E-M35*) paragroup chromosomes are now marked by defining mutations, thus increasing the discriminative power of the haplogroup for use in human evolution and forensics.

from the study:

quote:
"The new topology here reported has important implications as to the origins of the haplogroup E1b1. Using the principle of the phylogeographic parsimony, the resolution of the E1b1 trifurcation in favor of a common ancestor of E-M2 and E-M329 strongly supports the hypothesis that haplogroup E1b1 originated in eastern Africa, as previously suggested [10], and that chromosomes E-M2, so frequently observed in sub-Saharan Africa, trace their descent to a common ancestor present in eastern Africa.

Within E-M35, there are striking parallels between two haplogroups, E-V68 and E-V257. Both contain a lineage which has been frequently observed in Africa (E-M78 and E-M81, respectively) [6], [8], [10], [13]–[16] and a group of undifferentiated chromosomes that are mostly found in southern Europe (Table S2). An expansion of E-M35 carriers, possibly from the Middle East as proposed by other Authors [14], and split into two branches separated by the geographic barrier of the Mediterranean Sea, would explain this geographic pattern. However, the absence of E-V68* and E-V257* in the Middle East (Table S2) makes a maritime spread between northern Africa and southern Europe a more plausible hypothesis. A detailed analysis of the Y chromosomal microsatellite variation associated with E-V68 and E-V257 could help in gaining a better understanding of the likely timing and place of origin of these two haplogroups."

Before (A) and after (B):

-

It appears since i last checked the genetic landscape of E1b1b1-M35 descendants has been shaken up again with the discovery of E1b1b1a E-V68 and E1b1b1b E-V257.

Maybe Off-Topic, but, i also have a separate question on M81 in bold below which i had before my just now discovery of the new study:

M81 is the predominant gene in Maghrebians and Berber speakers.

Both it and Berber speakers are thought to have spread with the dessication of the Sahara to inhabit the desert. It originates last time i checked in North Eastern Africa 5.6k years ago which is significant because the Sahara's re-emergence begins about 6kya and the Neolithic wetlands phase of North Africa existed prior to that.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about this gene undergoing expansion in the Maghreb about 2,000 years ago. Maybe i am mixing this up with another African scenario (gene and place), have Maghrebian expansion times for this lineage ever even been estimated and if so was that the time given?

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I believe that to be the case since I do recall past studies posted here showing its highest frequencies in the Maghreb.

By the way, I get annoyed with the labels of E1b1b-etc. I agree with Explorer in that no other haplogroups get such tedious names, because E is the only clade that is of African origin but shows up in areas adjacent to Africa in high frequencies including Europe.

"However, the absence of E-V68* and E-V257* in the Middle East (Table S2) makes a maritime spread between northern Africa and southern Europe a more plausible hypothesis. A detailed analysis of the Y chromosomal microsatellite variation associated with E-V68 and E-V257 could help in gaining a better understanding of the likely timing and place of origin of these two haplogroups."

This supports the theory of maritime migrations directly from north Africa into the Europe, specifically the Aegean and Greece. I'm sure this will drive Dienekes Pontikos and his subjects mad. [Smile]

Posts: 26243 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
"However, the absence of E-V68* and E-V257* in the Middle East (Table S2) makes a maritime spread between northern Africa and southern Europe a more plausible hypothesis. A detailed analysis of the Y chromosomal microsatellite variation associated with E-V68 and E-V257 could help in gaining a better understanding of the likely timing and place of origin of these two haplogroups."

This supports the theory of maritime migrations directly from north Africa into the Europe, specifically the Aegean and Greece. I'm sure this will drive Dienekes Pontikos and his subjects mad.

Do they know when these migrations took place? Because I rather like the idea of ancient Egyptians settling in Greece.
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in that case, the Mediterranean is a connector not a barrier.

quote:

. . . .

Secondly, within E1b1b1 (E-M35), two haplogroups (E-V68 and E-V257) show similar phylogenetic and geographic structure, pointing to a genetic bridge between southern European and northern African Y chromosomes.

. . . .

An expansion of E-M35 carriers, possibly from the Middle East as proposed by other Authors [14], and split into two branches separated by the geographic barrier of the Mediterranean Sea, would explain this geographic pattern. However, the absence of E-V68* and E-V257* in the Middle East (Table S2) makes a maritime spread between northern Africa and southern Europe a more plausible hypothesis.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phylogenic labeling is useless as it is subject to be
obsolete at any minute. Mutation labelling doesn't
change and heads the root branch and stem of the tree
anyway. It's the only accurate and consistant labelling
allowing cross referencing regardless of a report's date
of publication.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

By the way, I get annoyed with the labels of E1b1b-etc.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Agreed.
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Well, in that case, the Mediterranean is a connector not a barrier.

This would be true of any body of water if the peoples had boating or some form of seafaring technology. There was an article from Archaeology Magazine about how even Homo Erectus reached Crete by boat, and I believe the topic was discussed in the AE section.
Posts: 26243 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also see:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003916;p=1#000000

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:
I rather like the idea of ancient Egyptians settling in Greece. [/QB]

why?
Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Maybe because the Egyptians were highly advanced enigmatic African culture that a lot people find cool. I don't know. Only Truth can answer.

The better question is why do you incessantly cling to the notion that Egyptians were 'mixed' or 'multiracial' when all evidence shows otherwise??

Again, this very thread shows that Greeks are the ones mixed yet you never say anything about their 'multiracial' status.

quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
Also see:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003916;p=1#000000

Thanks for the link, Explorer.  -
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
why?

It would be deliciously if also tragically ironic if blacks influenced the development of the very Western civilization that exploited and oppressed them in the last few centuries.
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I rather like the idea of ancient Egyptians settling in Greece.

why? [/QB][/QUOTE]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
why?

It would be deliciously if also tragically ironic if blacks influenced the development of the very Western civilization that exploited and oppressed them in the last few centuries.
exactly the reason why you would not make an objective scientist

and also make no comment on your own demic diffusion thread even after having been provided the sources

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ You of all people can't be the one to talk as you are the most blatantly biased person here. At least T-rex is open to new findings; YOU on the other hand are closed to all findings including old ones showing Egypt as an African culture founded by African people only, due to your want of a Eurasian influenced/mixed Egypt.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I'm a month late. Dayumn, they had this shi- out in early January.

@ Lioness you speak of bias not subjectivity. It's ok for a scientist to have an opinion as long as they don't let it get in the way of the methodology.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com