EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Ishango Bone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ishango Bone
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted by Nesben over at ESR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyduQYmlowM&feature=feedf
I first came across it in a book called Blacks In Science Ancient and Modern by edited by Ivan Sertima also it showed that system of counting spreading north into Kemet and West towards the Niger I had try to make a case that the Great Lakes regions in central Africa was bound to have been one of the cultural incubators of the making of Kemet.

They should not take the artifact into space that's nonsense it should be protected and shown to the public a replica should be used instead.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=polysci&thread=783&page=1#ixzz1MPyVb4tr

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Wow, I've heard about the Ishango bone but never heard about the connection with the development of Egyptian mathematics. Good post Brada and big ups to Nesben! I'd like to read more on this, perhaps track down a publication from the lead archaeologists who mention this. [Smile]
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ishango bone was discussed here some years back but it's been so long ago I can't locate the original thread. I will say that the bone is perhaps the oldest evidence of a mathematical tool on earth. It's also interesting that many scholars believe the bone represented a six month lunar calendar and some think that it was used by a woman to track her menstrual cycle.
Posts: 26311 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calabooz '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found this article:

The role of mathematics and scientific thought in Africa: A Renaissance perspective

Authors: Daniel Thanyani Rambane and Mashudu C. Mashige

International Journal of African Renaissance Studies - Multi-, Inter- and Transdisciplinarity
Volume 2, Issue 2, 2007, Pages 183 - 199

Abstract:

quote:
This article examines the centrality of mathematics and scientific thought in the sociocultural, human and intellectual development of a sampling of African societies. Evidence is presented which refutes the theory that Africans had no 'intelligible sense of numeracy' before contact with the West, and demonstrates that the propagation of this myth was part of the larger colonial project to marginalise and 'other-ise' African knowledge systems. Tracing Africa's early contributions to mathematics and scientific thought forces a shift from the standard Western-based approach to pedagogy in this field. It renders a subject that is perceived and presented as alien to African culture, more accessible to African learners. And ultimately, acknowledging the long history of mathematics and scientific thought in Africa is a step in foregrounding African epistemologies in knowledge production, human and social development and towards the realisation of the African Renaissance.
It looks into the logical mathematics of African games, Sand drawing, riddles/puzzles etc.,

--------------------
L Writes:

Posts: 1502 | From: Dies Irae | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com