EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egypt finds 17 lost pyramids

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt finds 17 lost pyramids
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A satellite survey used infra-red images to detect underground buildings.

News Desk
May 25, 2011 02:10

A new satellite survey of Egypt reportedly found 17 lost pyramids along with more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements.

The survey used infra-red images to detect underground buildings, the BBC reports.

Satellites above the earth were equipped with cameras that could pin-point objects on the earth's surface. The infra-red imaging then highlighted different materials under the surface, it states.

The work was done by a NASA-sponsored laboratory in Birmingham, Alabama.

"To excavate a pyramid is the dream of every archeologist," Sarah Parcak who led the project told BBC.

Meanwhile, Egypt opened the tombs of seven men, including some who served King Tutankhamen, to tourists earlier this week after restoration, the Associated Press reports.

Egypt hopes the tombs in the New Kingdom Cemetery in South Saqqara will draw more tourists to the area.

Egypt's tourism industry has been badly hit by the revolution that toppled the government in February and subsequent political uncertainty.

The number of tourists to Egypt fell 46 percent in the first quarter, Reuters reported Sunday

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/egypt/110525/egypt-finds-17-lost-pyramids

Perhaps my son should study Egyptology after all. He's so into this stuff. It's actually a great idea!!! He will do what her really wants to do as a grown-up and I keep getting to see Egypt from time to time [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great tigerlily. I would not discourage him but I hope he has money set aside for PHD level Egyptology classes. Having medicine or law as a back up plan might turn out to be more lucrative.
Egyptology/Anthropology is a hard field to break into unless you have deep pockets or grants from people like the McArthur foundation. Best of luck to your son.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I care about the craftsman townships that grew up to build them. Those places have records.
Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adrianne
Member # 10761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adrianne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a program next monday or wednesday on the bbc is about these buildings
Posts: 164 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underground pyramids?...which were "lost"?

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^
Its prob. just an attempt to jump start tourism in Egypt..

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rahotep101
Member # 18764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rahotep101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How careless do you have to be to lose SEVENTEEN pyramids!?
Posts: 870 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
That's great tigerlily. I would not discourage him but I hope he has money set aside for PHD level Egyptology classes. Having medicine or law as a back up plan might turn out to be more lucrative.
Egyptology/Anthropology is a hard field to break into unless you have deep pockets or grants from people like the McArthur foundation. Best of luck to your son.

IF he goes to a proper university in the states they generally don't pay for PHd. you get a stipend and you are a teacher assistant and in return you get PHd for free. THat is unless you go to a less traditional university, then you will have to pay.
Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HERU
Member # 6085

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HERU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it sucks you-know-who will get to them first
Posts: 318 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rahotep101
Member # 18764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rahotep101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most interesting implication of the satellite imagery is the number of additional settlements that there appear to have been in ancient Egypt, indicating a larger population than previously estimated, especially in the delta region where lost cities lie deep under modern settlements and farmland.
Posts: 870 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com