EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Documented Complexion of the Moors of "the Riff" in Northern Morocco 8th century

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Documented Complexion of the Moors of "the Riff" in Northern Morocco 8th century
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early Mozarabic writing on the Syrians meeting the Moors is cited in a recent text.

Just to show how useless it is to presume ancient the coastal Moors of Morocco i.e. Berbers of the Riff - directly across from Spain were not black all one need do is see the "Chronica Mozarabica" also name the "Latin Chronicle of 754".

“ In the words of the Latin Chronicle of 754, the course of this battle was also influenced by the frightening appearance of the Berbers. It reads:

'They [i.e. the Syrian Arabs] decided on their own initiative to hasten to the sea, crossing the territory of the Moors to attack Tangiers with the Swords. But the army of the Moors, realizing this immediately burst forth from the mountains to the battle naked girded only with loin-cloths covering their shameful parts. When they joined with each other in battle at the Nava river, the Egyptian horses immediately recoiled in flight, as the Moors on their beautiful horses revealed their repulsive colour and gnashed their white teeth. Despairing, they launched another attack, the Arab cavalry again instantly recoiled due to the colour of the Moors’ skin.'”

“…the Latin Chronicle of 754 is the earliest record of the Arab defeat by the Syrian commander Kulthum b. Iyad al Qushayri. “ See p. 71 Ibn Garcia’s Shu’ubiyya Letter: Ethnic and Theological Tensions in Medieval by Goran Larsson 2003 published by Brill.

Understand Tangiers said to have been founded by the Berbers and the Carthaginians is about the furthermost tip of Morocco.

Now did Syrian colored people or swarthy whites make the horses of the Syrians recoil in terror?! St. Isidore just 100 years before wrote of the Moors who had invaded Spain even in the Roman era were "black as night" and that the Moors received their name due to their color.

The mountains of Tangiers almost directly across from Gibraltar is where "the Berbers" settled in ancient times. This place was the origin of the name "Mauretania Tingitana" and is considered part of the Riff region of Morocco.

The Greeks said the town was founded Antaeaus, whose wife was named Tangi or Tingi, and in the 5th century the Vandals occupied Tangiers and then left to spread into other parts of North Africa.

Today of course like many other mountainous areas of the coast of North Africa fair-skinned people of more often similar color to Syrians and other peoples of the Middle and Near East and Europe.

Do geneticists recognize that people of a complexion different complexion and obviously different biological origin lived in these mountains and other mountains of the coastal region of North AFrica in Europe's early Middle Ages. Evidently not. [Frown]

Meanwhile Euronuts claim we are "Afrocentric" to state the facts regarding the biological modification of the populations of ancient North Africa.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vansertimavindicated
Member # 20281

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vansertimavindicated     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This monkey has no clue what is going on here does it? Hahahaha!

I mean you just have to laugh at this idiot! LOL

Posts: 3642 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corippus describes the Mauri of Byzacium as black skinned and refers to on woman with her children being paraded thru the streets as looking like "a crow with its chicks".

Can you imagine that the Euronut would try to write these Africans out of their own history. People tha are repeatedly compared to crows, pitch, jet, ink and even coal.

The "Poema de Fernan Gonzalez" describes the Moors of the period of Sancho (10th century) invading Navarre as "coal faced ones". Now all one has to do is look up which Berbers were involved in that invasion.

The much vaunted (by Eurnots) Cantigas and Book of Games were the making one man who used the word Moor for everybody from Syrians to Egyptians and North Africans and Spaniards that were non-Christian.

Nevertheless the same man Alphonso X published the work that calls the early Moorish invaders of the 8th century "black as pitch" in the Primera Chronica. And the leader of the Sanhaja "Targi" women of the Almoravid period as black.

Yes the Targi/Tuareg women were black and many still are.

Can you imagine that there are many writings on Wikipedia talking about the Lamtuna without even a single mention of the modern descendants under their same name - Aulamidden.

Is it a conspiracy no probably not it is just that they are under the delusion that early Berbers were not blacks but were whites and in fact pure whites.

That is why they love to bring up Arabic writings and phrases about "pure white" Berbers of the Sahara like the Bardama which they apparently didn't know were the Tuareg.

At least that is what "scholars" say about "a description of the women of a Tuareg group called the Bardama: 'Their women are the most perfect of women in beauty and the most comely in figure in addition to being being pure white and fat" (Ibn Battuta in Black Africa 1975). From (2011). A History of Race in Muslim West Africa by Bruce S. Hall, 1600 - 1960 p. 34 fn.2.

The author Bruce Hall mentions that the "for Ibn Battuta the term white implied a set of Arabic Muslim cultural practices that his local Berber-speaking hosts did not share." p. 34

Of course as explained previously the Arabic term that is often translated "white " can be used for people the color of coal according to Arabic scholars and was often used for black peoples including Ethiopians because it referred as much to a clear or luminous complexion rather than a fair-skinned one.

One wonders whether or not even Bruce Hall is aware of this.

Their is also a term white bedouin that distinguishes very dark brown Arabs from the Africans of slave descent in Arabia, showing that this preference for using the term "white" today has more of a colloquial hierarchal usage that has developed in the past few centuries.

The prase "white Moor" and "black Moor" is used the same way in the Sahara often people that are not distinguishable in color, but only in caste. This includes among the Tuareg and the Hassaniyya and Trarza "Moors".

Bruce Hall again explains the usage in his text "The question of 'race' in the pre-colonial Southern Sahara, Journal of North African Studies, 10: 3-4 -

"One suspects … that the use of the term for ‘Blacks’ to refer to low-status members of Tuareg society is, like the Moors, a largely recent development. These changes are in large part the result of European colonial rule that began in the late nineteenth century. Ideas about ‘race’ gained an increasing importance during the colonial period because of their prominence in the European colonial worldview and because they served the interests of local elites in attempting to maintain their control over servile and slave populations within these desert-edge societies "(Hall, 2005, p. 342).

Other Tuareg tribes called "white" by Arabic writers (such as Al-Umari) include the Yantraras, Lamtuna (Kel Aulamidden) and Antassar (Kel Antassar and these populations of Mali and Niger were and are of mainly of very dark brown to bronze brown complexion, with very little and/or nothing fair in the European sense about them.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vansertimavindicated
Member # 20281

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vansertimavindicated     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smdh!!! I told yall!!!

KEEP WOERKING FOR ME MONKEY! LOL AS USUAL I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU CAN STOP! HEHEHEHE

You see yall this is how you know that you are superior to these monsters! the monkey works for me, and always responds to me at the time and place of my choosing! LOL now get back to work you stringy haired reprobate!

As most of you have already figured out, this entire board consists of ONE sick degenerate that has created ficticious names to talk to itself in. Just a few of these names are CLYDE WINTERS, MIKE111, Djehuti and THE LIONESS. however ALL of the posters on this site EXCEPT for MYSELF are this one sick degenerate! There is NOONE on this site that can be trusted but me. The only links on this site that can be trusted are the ones that I provide for you! Here is a link that you can use as a resource and can be trusted!
http://www.raceandhistory.com/

http://www.cbpm.org/index.html

When you have finished reading this post check out this site to learn the truth about history and ALL civilzations. Do NOT be fooled by the real history link that the filthy monkey created using the race and history link as a guide. This is the ONLY site that can be trusted

Isnt it funny how this one little link destroys all of the charts, graphs and pics that the filthy monkey lies to us with? You now understand why the filthy monkey continues to spam the board with photos of modern day populations that had absolutely NOTHING to do with ancient Egypt

http://dnatribes.com/dnatribes-digest-2012-01-01.pdf

The next time one of these degenerates tries to tell you a lie just refer the moonkey to the latest DNA analysis on the ancient Egyptians, and then tell the faggot to crawl back in its cave!

This pretty much destroys all of the outdated and fallaceous sources that the silly monkey uses doesnt it?

The pig just keeps showing us why these crackers should not exist! They have genetically recessive genes and ion 50 years they will be the minority in BRITAIN!! THAT ALONE SHOULD TELL YOU THAT THEY WILL EVENTUALLY DIE OUT LIKE THE UNATURAL ABOMINATIONS THAT THEY ARE!

Look at the low IQ monkey with its charts and pictures LOL tHE dna analysis does not matter to this monkey, because it lives in a world of fantasy! lol

Folks, the monkey performs at my commend. I am this monkeys master!But then again all one needs to do is take a cursury look at this monkeys youtube page to understand the tenuous grip on reality that this monkey has! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/user/phoenician7

When the DNA analysis irrefutably shows that the modern day populations of South Africa, West Africa anmd central Africa are the ancestors of the ancient Egyptians what does a low IQ monkey do???

The low IQ monkey shows pictures and charts and munbles on and on about haplogroups while completely ignoring what the DNA analysis of the ancient Egyptians actually says LOL

the DNA analysis irrefutably shows that the modern day populations of South Africa, West Africa anmd central Africa are the ancestors of the ancient Egyptians. Thats what the DNA says, thats what the science says. This monkey in all of its fake names is very pathetic isnt it?

Bookmark this link as it can definitely be TRUSTED

Posts: 3642 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
An excellent resource for articles dealing with the North African Berbers is Persee. However many of them are in French.

one article by B.F. Shaw however - Autonomy and tribute : mountain and plain in Mauretania Tingitana. in English talks about the different tribes of the Mauri in northern Africa.

The similarities in all of the articles are that unlike in the colonial era these peoples are not recognized as having any link to tribes in sub-Saharan Africa. The Baquates are a tribe often mentioned for example, whom some believe to be the Berghwata of the "black-skinned" Masmuda Berbers.
Unfortunately because of the racism and belief that Berbers were essentially some African Caucasoid "race" it has not been recognized that the people called Berghwata were and are likely the ancestors of the modern Borgou or Borku ethnic peoples of the Sudan and Fezzan.

Sad to say but as of late and even now European scholars have been so busy trying to make all the Ethiopians mentioned in the Sahara to be the only black people in North Africa that they can not even recognized tha the names of many so-called black Sub-Saharan tribes are actually the same as was found in ancient North Africa, Zaghawa/Azuwagh, Borgou/Berghwata, Wangarawa/Jarawa.

Vansertimavindicated
Member # 20281

Rate Member
AND THE MONKEY WILL GO ON AND ON AND ON THIS WAY FOLKS! WATCH AND SEE! IT WILL POST AND POST AND POST WITH NO RHYME OR REASON, BECAUSE THE CHIMP CANT HELP IT! I HONMESTLY COULD NOT HAVE INVENTED A BETTER MONKEY TO DESTROY ITSELF! YOU SEE THIS PARTICULAR MONKEY IS WHAT YOU CALL SELF DESTRUCTIVE!

SO YOU FIND AND USE A MONKEY LIKE THIS (THEY ARE NOT HARD TO FIND) AND THEN DESTROY THEM ALL USING THE DESTRUCTIVE MONKEY AS THE CATALYST!

trust me, their IQs are too low to stop you!

As most of you have already figured out, this entire board consists of ONE sick degenerate that has created ficticious names to talk to itself in. Just a few of these names are CLYDE WINTERS, MIKE111, Djehuti and THE LIONESS. however ALL of the posters on this site EXCEPT for MYSELF are this one sick degenerate! There is NOONE on this site that can be trusted but me. The only links on this site that can be trusted are the ones that I provide for you! Here is a link that you can use as a resource and can be trusted!

When you have finished reading this post check out this site to learn the truth about history and ALL civilzations. Do NOT be fooled by the real history link that the filthy monkey created using the race and history link as a guide. This is the ONLY site that can be trusted

Isnt it funny how this one little link destroys all of the charts, graphs and pics that the filthy monkey lies to us with? You now understand why the filthy monkey continues to spam the board with photos of modern day populations that had absolutely NOTHING to do with ancient Egypt

The next time one of these degenerates tries to tell you a lie just refer the moonkey to the latest DNA analysis on the ancient Egyptians, and then tell the faggot to crawl back in its cave!

This pretty much destroys all of the outdated and fallaceous sources that the silly monkey uses doesnt it?

The pig just keeps showing us why these crackers should not exist! They have genetically recessive genes and ion 50 years they will be the minority in BRITAIN!! THAT ALONE SHOULD TELL YOU THAT THEY WILL EVENTUALLY DIE OUT LIKE THE UNATURAL ABOMINATIONS THAT THEY ARE!

Look at the low IQ monkey with its charts and pictures LOL tHE dna analysis does not matter to this monkey, because it lives in a world of fantasy! lol

Folks, the monkey performs at my commend. I am this monkeys master!But then again all one needs to do is take a cursury look at this monkeys youtube page to understand the tenuous grip on reality that this monkey has! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/user/phoenician7

When the DNA analysis irrefutably shows that the modern day populations of South Africa, West Africa anmd central Africa are the ancestors of the ancient Egyptians what does a low IQ monkey do???

The low IQ monkey shows pictures and charts and munbles on and on about haplogroups while completely ignoring what the DNA analysis of the ancient Egyptians actually says LOL

the DNA analysis irrefutably shows that the modern day populations of South Africa, West Africa anmd central Africa are the ancestors of the ancient Egyptians. Thats what the DNA says, thats what the science says. This monkey in all of its fake names is very pathetic isnt it?

Bookmark this link as it can definitely be TRUSTED

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Unfortunately, the knowledge about the ancient Egyptians and Berbers on Egyptsearch and other forums continues to attract deluded Euronuts, as well as Afronuts who need attention and feel inferior to whites so that they continuously call them names in attempts to denigrate them. Then Euronuts can go on harassing the boards that are trying to speak truthfully about African history and claiming that blacks that are Afrocentricists are also Afronuts.

Then of course you have the special guy above who needs the most attention and makes most Afronuts and Euronuts look sane.lol!

Or could be another case of Asperger's syndrome. They sometimes repeat themselves over and over again. [Frown]

In any case its someone who definitely doesn't like monkeys. [Smile]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL The Asperger's Syndrome is not nice though since Brandon (Truthcentric) has that, but obviously has mental faculties that function quite well.

I am still disturbed by some Afronuts like Clyde who still think Berber is "Vandal" in origin. He discounts the existence of the Afro-asiatic language phylum completely yet he extends the Mande languages to include Dravidian! LOL

By the way, excellent work Dana citing all these valuable sources including first hand accounts of what the Moors looked like. It's still amazing how Euronuts try to white-wash them. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Co-sign. Excellent work Dana.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ LOL The Asperger's Syndrome is not nice though since Brandon (Truthcentric) has that, but obviously has mental faculties that function quite well.

I am still disturbed by some Afronuts like Clyde who still think Berber is "Vandal" in origin. He discounts the existence of the Afro-asiatic language phylum completely yet he extends the Mande languages to include Dravidian! LOL

By the way, excellent work Dana citing all these valuable sources including first hand accounts of what the Moors looked like. It's still amazing how Euronuts try to white-wash them. [Embarrassed]

Djehuti - people with Asperbergers are not necessarily mentally disabled people. They can also be very jealous and deliberately mean although they know just what they are doing, believe me i do think there are people with different problems on this forum emotional and psychological problems on this site that do border on pathologies and I'm not necessarily making light of it here. There are different degrees of Aspergers, and its better described as a sociobehavioral disease, rather than mental disability. Sometimes people can't help themselves. That is why the repeated use of phrases often occurs.

Anyway thanks for your compliment and yes it is too bad some people even with many degrees prefer not to look at historical evidence, including and especially geneticists. And I definitely don't know how 99.9 percent of African scholars and other Africanists can agree or acknowledge there is an Afro-Asiatic language phylum and then one not apparently simply on the basis of what someone wrote 50 years ago.

History may be a lie agreed upon, but its very hard to hard to maintain a lie when the scientific method is agreed upon.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:
^^Co-sign. Excellent work Dana.

Thanks, Zarah.
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
The Euronut can run but can not hide.

Wiki says the "Berber hero" Anti was Antaeus founder of Barce (Barca) and Tangiers. While another site says Anti was a deity of Egyptian mythology.

Antaeus who according to Greeks lived in the desert in "the interior of Libya" of course refers to an African people.

Meanwhile a well-known German scholar noted the following:
“The latter expression (Antyw Khentyw) is archaic and mostly used very vaguely not only of the wandering Hamitic Trogodyte tribes of the ‘Arabian’ desert, whose name Enti, Anti, has been preserved even by classical writers (Antaei), etc but also for the more or less settled Negro tribes of the Nile Valley, exactly as vaguely as our Nubian” p. 138 Max Muller Egyptological Ressearches Results of a Journey in 1904.

"Arabian desert" here refers to the Eastern desert of Nubia land of the "Arabian" or "Ethiopian" Trogodyte, depending on the writer.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ There was a thread posted some years back on the Antiu people of eastern Nubia. They were apparently the nomad allies of the Kushites just as the Medjay who also inhabited the eastern deserts were allies of the Egyptians. Though I don't know if there's any direct connection between the Antiu and Antaeus of Libya or any of the Libyans.
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
The Blemyes and Trogodytes were often called Libyans so they very well could be, but of course more research would be necessary to determine if the names of the "Berber" deity and the Egyptian deity are the same.

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ But you do realize 'Libya' was the generic name for Africa that Greeks used. Though I don't know how much the Greeks associated or identified those folks to the east of the Nile with those folks to the west of it.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Anti and Anteus are all the African progenitors and prototypes for Hercules.

Anti: (Egyptian diety)
quote:

In Egyptian mythology, Anti (Antaeus in Greek, but probably not connected to the Antaeus in Greek mythology) was a god whose worship centred at Antaeopolis, in the northern part of Upper Egypt.

His worship is quite ancient, dating from at least the 2nd dynasty, at which point he already had priests dedicated to his cult. Originally, Anti appears to have been the patron of the ancient area around Badari, which was the centre of the cult of Horus. Due to lack of surviving information, it is not very well known what the original function of Anti was, or whether he was more than just a title of Horus referring to some specific function.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_%28mythology%29

Horus in Ancient Egyptian mythology is simply a reference to the concept of "the hero". He is the one who overcomes all odds and defeats the enemies or foe. He is the "strong one" given the force of the gods to defeat all enemies. And in this sense Anti represents the ancient African of North Africa, clad in a loincloth who was able to conquer the wilds and environs including the beasts and fauna. This is the archetype from which Hercules derives. The Greek version of Anti is Antaeus and in that tradition you see that Anteus is a "strong person" who challenges all comers to bouts of wrestling, which is an ancient African tradition of manhood, bonding, feats of strength and sport. Again all of which shows the African roots of the Hercules myth which goes back to the African great hunter of the Savanna and eventually becomes associated with Horus "the hero" of Egypt.

But of course, since Hercules is a Greek hero he has to defeat Anteus. But also note the Egyptian iconography as Anteus draws his strenth from the ground below, strongly reminiscent of the Egyptian cosmology in reference to Nut (the sky) and Min (the earth), where the earth is always symbolized as a male figure.
Antaeus (Greek):
quote:

Greeks of the sixth century BC, who had established colonies along the coast, located Antaeus in the interior desert of Libya.[2]

He would challenge all passers-by to wrestling matches, kill them, and collect their skulls, so that he might one day build out of them a temple to his father Poseidon. He was indefatigably strong as long as he remained in contact with the ground (his mother earth), but once lifted into the air he became as weak as other men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antaeus
Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Actually, Anti and Anteus are all the African progenitors and prototypes for Hercules.

Anti: (Egyptian diety)
quote:

In Egyptian mythology, Anti (Antaeus in Greek, but probably not connected to the Antaeus in Greek mythology) was a god whose worship centred at Antaeopolis, in the northern part of Upper Egypt.

His worship is quite ancient, dating from at least the 2nd dynasty, at which point he already had priests dedicated to his cult. Originally, Anti appears to have been the patron of the ancient area around Badari, which was the centre of the cult of Horus. Due to lack of surviving information, it is not very well known what the original function of Anti was, or whether he was more than just a title of Horus referring to some specific function.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_%28mythology%29

Horus in Ancient Egyptian mythology is simply a reference to the concept of "the hero". He is the one who overcomes all odds and defeats the enemies or foe. He is the "strong one" given the force of the gods to defeat all enemies. And in this sense Anti represents the ancient African of North Africa, clad in a loincloth who was able to conquer the wilds and environs including the beasts and fauna. This is the archetype from which Hercules derives. The Greek version of Anti is Antaeus and in that tradition you see that Anteus is a "strong person" who challenges all comers to bouts of wrestling, which is an ancient African tradition of manhood, bonding, feats of strength and sport. Again all of which shows the African roots of the Hercules myth which goes back to the African great hunter of the Savanna and eventually becomes associated with Horus "the hero" of Egypt.

But of course, since Hercules is a Greek hero he has to defeat Anteus. But also note the Egyptian iconography as Anteus draws his strenth from the ground below, strongly reminiscent of the Egyptian cosmology in reference to Nut (the sky) and Min (the earth), where the earth is always symbolized as a male figure.
Antaeus (Greek):
quote:

Greeks of the sixth century BC, who had established colonies along the coast, located Antaeus in the interior desert of Libya.[2]

He would challenge all passers-by to wrestling matches, kill them, and collect their skulls, so that he might one day build out of them a temple to his father Poseidon. He was indefatigably strong as long as he remained in contact with the ground (his mother earth), but once lifted into the air he became as weak as other men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antaeus

Hercules was called the black-bottomed one and like almost all so called "Greek Gods" he was originally nothing but a black African one.

I believe Heracles/Hercules a Sun God was also known as "the Indian" Hercules because of his Erythraean origins, especially if the name as the Greeks said was related to Hera, the peacock Goddess. Her name is linked to Sarah or Sara wife of Abraham. Similarly further East she is Saraiswati or Harauvati the peacock goddess of India, consort of Brahma. Of course she is still known as black Sarah or Sarah- Kali to the gypsies.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ But you do realize 'Libya' was the generic name for Africa that Greeks used. Though I don't know how much the Greeks associated or identified those folks to the east of the Nile with those folks to the west of it.

Yes - probably the whole northern half of Africa or the known world of Africa is included in that name after a certain point.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of paintings in Spain and other documents in Spanish and Portuguese along with ancient Islamic writings from the time period that show the complexion and population make up of the "Moors".

Note this painting from Spain:

-
http://missfolly.tumblr.com/post/11774893247/battle-of-puig-detail-king-of-aragons-conquest

Painted in 1410-1420.

And the interesting part of this story is the numerous folks who converted from Christianity to Islam and vice versa. This includes the famous example of El Cid, but other kings including the Muslim King of Valencia under the Almohads. And it is this conversion that led to many Muslim knights coming into Christian service and bringing with them the traditions of Magic and "the Magi" into Spain through the secret orders and rituals of the Africans, Sufis and other Eastern groups.

quote:

James I met with the dethroned Emir Abu Zayd in Teruel to establish a new pact between them. Instead of his signature, the document was stamped with Abu Zayd's crest, an eagle and the Castilian motto: Sciello de Ceit Buceit nieto de [Emir al] Momenin. The date was set at 28 May 1236 and it stipulated that a fourth of the territory of Valencia would go to Abu Zayd upon the conquest and that Abu Zayd and his descendants would declare themselves the vassals of James I and of any children he had with Violant of Hungary. It was at this time that Abu Zayd had converted to Christianity and adopted the name Vicens Bellvis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Puig

Also you must note that many early images from Spain and European art of later ages is actually derived from Perso-Islamic, Moorish and CentralAsian cultures that preceded it.

A painting done in the 1800s documenting the fall of Valencia (stomping ground of El-Cid):

(add h t t p)
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Entrada_triomfal_del_rei_Jaume_I_a_la_ciutat_de_Val%C3%A8ncia_%281884%29,_Fernando_Richart_Montesinos,_Museu_de_Belles_Arts_de_Castell%C3%B3.JPG

Note the way the swords hang in the front, much like ancient Sassanian knights from 500 years prior. Note the Islamic daggers and many other things.

This is documented by other writers:
quote:

Dear Pir Zia,

I have been thinking lately about planetary culture and an earlier age of esoteric syncretism in the Convivencia in medieval Spain. I would say that the Sufis—and not the Italians!—actually brought us the Renaissance. Their Middle Eastern music and Persian poetry influenced the returning Crusaders like Guillaume of Poitiers and the later troubadours such as Arnaut Daniel in Provence, and from there the influence spread to Italy to Cavalcanti and Dante. Ibn Arabi's cosmology influenced Dante, as did the Hadith of Mohammed's journey to heaven and hell, but to protect himself from the Church, Dante stuck Mohammed in hell to appear completely Christian and unheretical. The poets, musicians, and artists of the early thirteenth-century Renaissance before the Black Death knew that Andalusia, Majorca, and Sicily were the gateways of Islam into the soul of Europe. Just look at this picture from King Renes Book of Love (1456) of the chivalric knight from Sicily and you see the Sufi emblem of the winged-heart atop his helmet and on the coverings for his horse.

http://www.sevenpillarshouse.org/article/on_prophecy_and_time/

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lambdachialpha/73267919/in/set-851191

Although this idea of the winged heart is actually based on a more recent Sufi who traveled in the west:

http://forum.yogananda.net/index.php?/topic/22321-hazrat-inayat-khan/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inayat_Khan

The older form of the winged heart goes back to Egypt in the shape of the winged "heart" scarab.

You can also see the influence in the form of the Mystery Plays which derive straight from the mysteries of Isis and Osiris, which is a holdover from the Roman traditions of Isis.

For example:
quote:
The Metamorphoses of Apuleius, which St. Augustine referred to as The Golden Ass (Asinus aureus), is the only Latin novel to survive in its entirety.

The protagonist of the novel is called Lucius. At the end of the novel, he is revealed to be from Madaurus, the hometown of Apuleius himself. The plot revolves around the protagonist's curiosity (curiositas) and insatiable desire to see and practice magic. While trying to perform a spell to transform into a bird, he is accidentally transformed into an ass. This leads to a long journey, literal and metaphorical, filled with in-set tales. He finally finds salvation through the intervention of the goddess Isis, whose cult he joins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Ass

This play came from Roman Egypt from the time period when the Rome occupied Egypt. The Romans carried on the traditions of ancient Egypt in the worship of Isis and much of the bible and Christianity derives from the work of the Gnostic Egyptian priests. This was uncovered in the Nag Hammadi texts.

Ceremonial Procession at temple of Ramses III in Medinet Habu:
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/413499392/in/set-72157600016233275/http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/413499392/in/set-72157600016233275/

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/413498979/in/set-72157600016233275/

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annspain/489103181/

This is also the basis also of the holy brotherhoods in Europe as well, which are in turn based on the older gnostic traditions in Greece and Rome, along with the Judeo Islamic mysticism of the Moors in Spain.

quote:

Liturgical drama or religious drama, in its various Christian contexts, originates from the mass itself, and usually presents a relatively complex ritual that includes theatrical elements. Until the Late Middle Ages it is the best recorded tradition of religious drama, and is assumed to have been the root from which other forms such as the civic mystery plays, as well as poorly recorded travelling companies, grew. The number of surviving scripts is small, and many performances are only known about from entries in payment records and the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgical_drama

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_play

These are nothing more than remnants of the ancient mystery system.

Bobby Hemmitt goes over this in a lot of his lectures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BhKOOXQqDw&list=UU8asGqXg6UbyM7URCCG44dA&index=65

Of course, Bobby goes off the deep end in some spots, lol, but he does cite a lot of references and sources that are valuable in understanding some things.

Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have data on the breakdown of the Moorish
armies than conquered Spain and parts of Portugal?

What was the percentage from say North Africa
versus say Syria, or Arabia?

What is the North African breakdown- Morocco 25%,
Egypt 4%, Libya 19% et etc?

What info is out there on the military tactics and
methods of the Moors? I mean DETAILED info, not
a general descriptions such as "the Moorish armies
first swept across Granada on 13 whatever...

How did they deploy their infantry and cavalry?

Did they have a different fighting style than say
forces more from the Arabian peninsula?

What were weapons used?

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt know about wrestling God Anti/Antaeus whos power was in the ground.The symbology of the story is real spiritual power is in the ground aka in reality.

Doug M great picture of the battle of Puig between the black Moor and the knight templar.
Excellent pictures of Egyptian temple procession.
Bobby Hemmitt is a great metaphysician and spiritualist.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Thanks Mena7. Bobby is good, but the only thing is that he sometimes says things that are truly bogus and you have to disregard those things in order to get the good stuff, like the girl who sneezes and disappears or stuff about Atlantis. However, when he is citing sources on the esoteric traditions of the East and the West he is definitely on point.

For example he did drop the following gem about Lincoln being taught occult teachings from a mixed race founder of the American Rosicrucians:

quote:

Paschal Beverly Randolph (October 8, 1825 – July 29, 1875) was an American medical doctor, occultist, Spiritualist, trance medium, and writer. Randolph is notable as perhaps the first person to introduce the principles of sex magic to North America, and, according to A.E. Waite, establishing the earliest known Rosicrucian order in the United States.

Sources disagree as to Randolph's birthplace (Ohio, New York or Virginia). He was a free man of mixed-race ancestry, descendant of William Randolph. His father was a nephew of John Randolph of Roanoke and his mother was Flora Beverly, whom he later described as a woman of mixed English, French, German, Native American and Malagasy ancestry. This background led to his being a spokesman for the abolition of slavery. His mother died when he was young, leaving him homeless and penniless; he ran away to sea in order to support himself. A peripatetic man, he lived in many places, including New York state, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Toledo, Ohio. He married twice; his first wife was African-American; his second wife was Irish-American.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschal_Beverly_Randolph

One of the things I found in doing the research for that post is some interesting links between the Star and Crescent as an ancient symbol from many parts of the Near East and Africa with Christianity.

First the star and crescent is often seen in European heraldry reflecting in many cases (in my opinion anyway) Muslim knights and arms converted to the Christian cause.

For example, note the following Knights from Aragon (in the Chronicle of James 1 of Aragon):
 -
http://libro.uca.edu/chronicleofjames/chronicle.htm
Pay attention to one of the knights having a star and crescent on his helmet. It is from the time of the Reconquista that many Muslims often switched sides and this is in reality the main reason the Muslims lost: they could not stick together and the chaos this created forced many to seek shelter with the Christians, bringing with them many traditions of the East and Africa.

Here is another recent book originally written in Spanish on the subject:
quote:

The English translation of professor Echevarría’s Caballeros en la frontera is a welcome treatment of a topic that has received ample attention within Spain as evidenced by the essay collection La Banda Morisca durante los siglos XIII, XIV y XV [The Moorish Guard during the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries] edited by Manuel García Fernández (Seville, 1996) and Echevarría’s article “La guardia morisca: un cuerpo desconocido del ejército medieval español [The Moorish Guard: an unknown corps within the Spanish medieval armies], Revista de Historia Militar 90 (2000): 55-78, but has been almost ignored outside of it.

The Moorish Guard in the fifteenth century was royal cavalry and infantry corps in Castile composed almost exclusively of recent converts to Christianity from Islam. Because of their desirable skills in frontier warfare, high social position within their Muslim societies of origin, and willingness to serve on the Christian side, these individuals came to compose an elite standing military force that served to protect the Spanish monarch as well as conduct important missions along the Castilian-Granadan frontier. This study touches upon many different areas including Military History, relations between Castile and Granada, and religious attitudes within Castile toward Muslims and Moriscos.

http://www.deremilitari.org/REVIEWS/Echevarria_Knights_Frontier.htm

Late period Painting of Moorish Armies from Granada, note that many wear short tunics and stockings similar to the soldier in the winged heart piece I posted earlier. This is the Jineta type of cavalry that was very influential throughout Europe, especially later Spanish light cavalry. Note also many of these soldiers have the star and crescent on their banners or shields.

-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Higueruela.jpg

And this kind of horse cavalry can still be seen in Tunisia and Algeria which influenced later French and American cavalry forces.

Note the following emblem used by Union forces in the VIIth corps during the civil war:
 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War_Corps_Badges

As for troops during the Islamic invasion of Spain, I would argue they had adopted much of the dress and tactics of the Roman Byzantines and especially the Persian Sassanians: colorful brocaded coats and kaftans often over chain mail or scale with some brigandinge, cloaks in various colors and some type of shield. This was pretty much standard attire in the eastern armies of the time (byzantine rome;persia,etc).

Graham Turner is an artist who has done some good artistic representations of these Armies.

http://www.studio88.co.uk/acatalog/poitiers_732.html

Unfortunately due to European historical distortions, the fact that much of later Medieval culture originated in the East is downplayed or outright ignored as part of the rise of the modern European world empire, which is why most times you could only find out about this in occult or hidden histories.

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lambdachialpha/135953203/in/set-851191/lightbox/

The French in particular also got even more influence from places like Armenia which also was part of the ancient Persian, Byzantine central Asian cultural sphere and incorporated such traditions into their early christian doctrine.

Also note that in this period I believe the North Africans would also have retained some of the traditions of the Numidians and other North African groups, along with some even older traditions inherited from the Egyptians.

But a lot of this is lost in modern histories. For example note the following recently produced video which makes the Moors look like Mongols and is in my opinion totally inaccurate. The idea of Islamic holy war based on booty and plunder, led by "holy warriors" became the basis of many later traditions seen in European knightly Christian orders (as a unifying political, military and economic order).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvSbBEoBePg

But you can see more of the historical developments in horse warfare and material culture of central in the unesco publications on the History of Central Asia:
http://www.unesco.org/culture/asia/html_eng/ouvrages.htm

Volume 3 is the most relevant with some very good images of frescoes in central Asia showing the elaborate dress and customs of these early horse warriors. Note the Khwarizmi heavy cavalry, which was a shadow of its former self after being sacked by the Mongols, was able to destroy Jerusalem and the Western Forces there by itself, before moving on to support the Islamic armies in Egypt who dealt a final defeat to the crusaders in the battle of Harbiyya (la Forbie).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_La_Forbie

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a coin of king Juba II of Mauritania with the picture of Juba II in the front and the symbol of crescent and moon in the reverse side long before Islam was invented.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mena7:
There is a coin of king Juba II of Mauritania with the picture of Juba II in the front and the symbol of crescent and moon in the reverse side long before Islam was invented.

-
______________________________________________ ^^^ six rayed star

The early Muslim community did not have a symbol. During the time of Muhammad, Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

During the 19th century, it represented the Ottoman Empire, figuring on the Ottoman flag from 1793.

Turkish Flag in use since 1844
 -

Nation of Islam Flag
 -

The star and crescent appear in combination in finds from in and around ancient Palestine. It has been associated with the Moabites (14th or early 13th – 6th century BC), as the symbol or symbols appear on what are thought to be Moabite name seals.Crescents appearing together with a star or stars are a common feature of Sumerian iconography, the crescent usually being associated with the moon god Sin (Nanna to the Sumerians) and the star (often identified as Venus) with Ishtar (Inanna to the Sumerians). However, in this context, there is a third element often seen, that being the sun disk of Shamash.

By the late Hellenistic or early Roman period, the star and crescent motif had been associated to some degree with Byzantium. If any goddess had a connection with the walls in Constantinople, it was Hecate. Hecate had a cult in Byzantium from the time of its founding. Like Byzas in one legend, she had her origins in Thrace. For example, some Byzantine coins of the 1st century BC and later show the head of Artemis with bow and quiver, and feature a crescent with what appears to be a six-rayed star on the reverse.

Later, under the Romans, cities in the empire often continued to issue their own coinage. "Of the many themes that were used on local coinage, celestial and astral symbols often appeared, mostly stars or crescent moons."[The wide variety of these issues, and the varying explanations for the significance of the star and crescent on Roman coinage precludes their discussion here. It is, however, apparent that by the time of the Romans, coins featuring a star or crescent in some combination were not at all rare.
 -

insignia of the Knights of the Golden Circle OR crescent insignia for Louisiana troops "five-pointed star= Florida parishes, and the crescent moon for New Orleans".The crescent moon was a very popular symbol of secession in the south used on flags, etc..

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mena7:

Yes, I believe that Islam took the star and crescent from older cultures. In Egypt similar symbols can be seen in various deities but especially with Djehuti, which is a personification of writing, time, wisdom, arts, science and law:

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenkapeac/2531231963/sizes/o/in/photostream/

But most of all I see Islam as a combination of Amun (the hidden unknowable force of god/creation), Ptah (the word, law) and Djehuti (wisdom, math, science and recording) from a philosophical and theological perspective.

But you also had similar iconography in ancient Persia as well.

And from the broken image link I meant to post this earlier:

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lambdachialpha/135953203/in/set-851191/lightbox/

(Note the stylish servants is Moorish as well, see Jinetes above, along with some of the traditions of the Sufis in Morocco.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
More on this occult tradition in Egypt:

quote:

THERE is no study so saddening, and none so sublime as that of the early religions of mankind. To trace back the worship of God to its simple origin, and to mark the gradual process of those degrading superstitions, and unhallowed rites which darkened, and finally extinguished His presence in the ancient world.

At first men enjoyed the blessings of nature as children do, without inquiring into causes. It was sufficient for them that the earth gave them herbs, that the trees bore them fruit, that the stream quenched their thirst. They were happy, and every moment though unconsciously they offered a prayer of gratitude to Him whom as yet they did not know.

And then a system of theology arose amongst them vague and indefinite, as the waters of the boundless sea. They taught each other that the sun, and the earth, the moon, and the stars were moved and illumined by a Great Soul which was the source of all life, which caused the birds to sing, the brooks to murmur, and the sea to heave. It was a sacred Fire which shone in the firmament, and in mighty flames. It was a strange Being which animated the, souls of men, and which when the bodies died, returned to itself again.

They silently adored this Great Soul in the beginning, and spoke of Him with reverence, and sometimes raised their eyes timidly to His glittering dwelling-place on high.

And soon they learned to pray. When those whom they loved lay dying, they uttered wild lamentations, and flung their arms despairingly towards the mysterious Soul; for in times of trouble the human mind so imbecile, so helpless, clings to something that is stronger than itself.

As yet they worshipped only the sun, the moon, and the stars-and not as Gods but as visions of that Divine Essence, which alone ruled and pervaded the earth, the sky, and the sea.

They adored Him kneeling, with their hands clasped, and their eyes raised. They offered Him no sacrifices, they built Him no temples; they were content to offer Him their hearts which were full of awe, in His own temple which was full of grandeur. And it is said that there are yet some barbarous islands where men have no churches nor ceremonies, and where they worship God, reflected in the work of His thousand hands.

But they were not long content with this simple service. Prayer which had first been an inspiration fell into a system, and men already grown wicked prayed the Deity to give them abundance of wild beast's skins, and to destroy their enemies.

They ascended eminences, as if hoping that thus being nearer God, He would prefer their prayers to those of their rivals. Such is the origin of that superstitious reverence for high places which was universal throughout the whole of the heathen world.

Then Orpheus was born. And he invented instruments which to his touch and to his lips, gave forth notes of surpassing sweetness, and with these melodies he enticed the wondering savages into the recesses of the forest, and there taught them precepts of obedience to the great Soul, and of loving-kindness towards each other in harmonious words.

So they devoted groves and forests to the worship of the Deity.

There were men who had watched Orpheus, and who had seen and envied his power over the herd who surrounded him. They resolved to imitate him, and having studied these barbarians, they banded together, and called themselves their priests. Religion -is divine, but its ministers are men. And alas! sometimes they are demons with the faces and wings of angels.

The simplicity of men, and the cunning of their priests has destroyed or corrupted all the religions of the world.

These priests taught the people to sacrifice the choicest herbs and flowers. They taught them formulas of prayer, and bade them make so many obeisances to the sun, and to worship those flowers which opened their leaves when he rose, and which closed them as he set.

They composed a language of symbols which was perhaps necessary, since letters had not been invented, but which perplexed the people and perverted them from the worship of the one God.

Thus the sun and moon were worshipped as emblems of God, and fire as an emblem of the sun, water as an emblem of the moon.

The serpent was to be worshipped also as an emblem of wisdom and eternal youth, since it renews its skin every year, and thus periodically casts off all symptoms of old age.

And the bull, most vigorous of animals, and whose horns resemble those of the crescent moon.

The priests observed the avidity with which the barbarians adored these symbols, and increased them. To worship the visible is a disease of the soul inherent to all mankind, and the disease which these men could have healed they pandered to.

It is true that the first generation of men might have looked upon these merely as the empty symbols of a Divine Being, but it is also certain that in time the vulgar forgot the God in the emblem, and worshipped that which their fathers had only honored. Egypt was the fountain-head of these idolatries, and it was in Egypt that the priests first applied real attributes to the sun, and to the moon whom they called his wife.

It may perhaps interest you to listen to the first fable of the world.

From the midst of chaos was born Osiris, and at his birth a voice was heard proclaiming-"The ruler of all the earth is born."

From the same dark and troubled-womb were born Isis the Queen of Light, and Typhon the Spirit of Darkness.

This Osiris traveled over the whole world, and civilized its inhabitants, and taught them the art of agriculture. But on his return to Egypt the jealous Typhon laid a stratagem for him, and in the midst of a banquet had him shut up in a chest which exactly fitted his body. He was nailed down in his prison, which cast into the Nile floated down to the sea by the Taitic mouth, which even in the time of Plutarch was never mentioned by an Egyptian but with marks of detestation.

When Isis learnt these sad new she cut off a lock of her hair, and put on her mourning robes, and wandered through the whole country in search of the chest which contained the dead body of her husband.

At length she learnt that the chest had been carried by the waves to the shore of Byblos, and had there lodged in the branches of a tamarisk bush, which quickly shot up and became a large and beautiful tree, growing round the chest so that it could not be seen.

The king of the country amazed at the vast size the tree had so speedily acquired, ordered it to be cut down to be hewn into a pillar to support the roof of his palace-the chest being still concealed in the trunk.

The voice which had spoken from Heaven at the birth of Osiris made known these things to poor Isis, who went to the shore of Byblos and sat down silently by a fountain to weep. The damsels of the queen met her and accosted her, and the queen appointed her to be nurse to her child. And Isis fed the infant with her finger instead of with her breast, and put him every night into fire to render him immortal, while transforming herself into a swallow she hovered round the pillar which was her husband's tomb, and bemoaned her unhappy fate.

It happened that the queen thus discovered her, and shrieked when she saw her child surrounded by flames. By that cry she broke the charm and deprived him of immortality.

By that cry Isis was summoned back to her goddess-form, and stood before the awe-struck queen shining with light and diffusing sweet fragrances around.

She cut open the pillar, and took the coffin with her, and opened it in a desert. There she embraced the cold corpse of Osiris, and wept bitterly.

She returned to Egypt and hid the coffin in a remote place: but Typhon, hunting by moonlight, chanced to find it, and divided the corpse into fourteen pieces. Again Isis set out on her weary search throughout the whole land, sailing over the fenny parts in a boat made of papyrus. She recovered all the fragments except one which had been thrown into the sea. Each of these she buried in the place where she found it, which explains why in Egypt there are so many tombs of Osiris.

And instead of the limb which was lost, she gave the phallus to the Egyptians-the disgusting worship of which was thence carried into Italy, into Greece, and into all the countries of the East.

When Isis died, she was buried in a grove near Memphis. Over her grave was raised a statue covered from head to foot with a black veil. And underneath was engraved these divine words:

I am all that has been, that is, that shall be, and none among mortals has yet dared to raise my veil.

Beneath this veil are concealed all the mysteries and learning of the past. A young scholar, his fingers covered with the dust of venerable folios, his eyes weary and reddened by nightly toil will now attempt to lift a corner of this mysterious and sacred covering.

These two Deities, Isis and Osiris were the parents of all the Gods and Godesses of the Heathens, or were indeed those Gods themselves worshipped under different names. The fable itself was received into the mythologies of the Hindoos and the Romans. Sira is said to have mutilated Brahma as Typhon did Osiris, and Venus to have lamented her slain Adonis, as Isis wept for her husband-god.

As yet the sun and moon alone were worshipped under these two names. And as we have seen, besides these twin beneficial spirits, men who had begun to recognize sin in their hearts had created an Evil One who struggled with the power of light, and fought with them for the souls of men.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/motd/motd.htm
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
As for the costume of the early invaders, here is a description from a book called the arts and crafts of older Spain by Leonard Williams:

quote:

Hitherto I have traced the war-equipment of
the Spanish Christians only. In the early period
of Mohammedan rule, the conquerors used a
simple dress for war, consisting of the capacete
or almofar for the head, secured by a chain
beneath the chin and covered by a piece of
cloth called schasck, hanging to just below the
shoulders ; a wide sleeveless tunic ; a shirt of
mail ; tight breeches, and leather shoes. Their
weapons were the lance and sword. The foot-
soldiery wore the djobba, a tight-sleeved tunic of
white wool, bound to the body by a scarf, and
leather shoes, and carried as their arms a capacete
of beaten iron, without a crest or cheek-pieces ;
a large round shield with its projecting umbo ;
and either a lance, or a double-edged and double-
handed sword. Such are the details represented
in the Codex of the Apocalypse, preserved in
the cathedral of Gerona. As time progressed,
the weapons and defensive armour of these
Spanish Moors grew more luxurious and ornate,
being often decorated with enamels, precious
stones, or inlaid metals such as silver, gold, and
bronze. Prominent centres of this industry were
Murcia, Zaragoza, and Toledo, which are even
said to have surpassed Damascus. Andalusia,
too, was celebrated for her gold-inlaid cuirasses
and coats of mail; while, according to El Idrisi,
the town of Jativa enjoyed a widespread fame for
every kind of decorative armour/

The military outfit of the Spanish Moors was,
therefore, much the same as that of Christian
Spain. Toledo under Muslim rule continued
to be famous for her swords. Moorish Seville,
Ronda, and Valencia were also favourably known
for weapons, household knives, and scissors.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/leonard-williams/the-arts-and-crafts-of-older-spain-volume-1-lli/page-12-the-arts-and-crafts-of-older-spain-volume-1-lli.shtml

Now the funny part is that this description of the Islamic invaders matches much of the art for Christian Knights in art from the following century. Most of the Islamic invaders were following traditions of Central Asia, Persia and the Byzantine Levant. But many European scholars down play this fact.

For example note how this image below from the Hortus Deliciarum:

-
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hortus_Deliciarum_36-3m.jpg

-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Hortus_Deliciarum_36-5m.jpg
Note the eastern style battle flags.

Also note the following from a later era:
quote:
A Czech traveler, the Baron of Rosmithal, visited Castile towards the middle of the fifteenth century, and recorded in his diary certain curious notes on the life he observed. Morisco customs had infiltrated private life;or rather, these customs had been Spanish for centuries, but in the fifteenth century people wrote about the matter, because that was the time when writers were beginning to be interested in what was going on around them, to be conscious of themselves as human beings in a vital situation, in a given time and space. Let us then have a look at the Baron's diary: "There now resides in Burgos a powerful count, who took my lord and his company to his palace," as one of the Baron's secretaries writes; "there also came beautiful damsels and ladies richly adorned in the Morisco fashion, who in their whole appearance and in their eating and drinking followed that fashion. Some of them danced very lovely dances in the Morisco style, and all were dark, with black eyes. They ate and drank very little, they greeted my lord gaily, and they were very friendly with the Germans.
http://books.google.com/books?id=uJdbJK_sl2oC&pg=PA284&lpg=PA284&dq=aljuba+islamic&source=bl&ots=cN7ywWVT_Y&sig=rAgPVrCFchhMYGvKwfgNjj3K-fE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7yveUMWcPLHq0QGq9IDgAw&ved =0CEAQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=aljuba%20islamic&f=false

Much of the fashion seen in Medieval art is based on either Moorish or other eastern forms of dress. The only reason it isn't attributed to Islam is because the Muslims did not leave much in the way of artwork of their own customs.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com