EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » THE INVENTION OF RACISM IN CLASSICAL ANTIQUITY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE INVENTION OF RACISM IN CLASSICAL ANTIQUITY
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Invention of Racism in Classical Antiquity
Benjamin Isaac (Author)
592 pages
Publisher: Princeton University Press (February 2, 2004)
Language: English

readable link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jfylyRawl8EC&pg=PA568&lpg=PA568&dq=The+Invention+of+Racism+in+Classical+Antiquity+

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this book cover depict a greek amphorae vase picture of herakles beating on egyptian nome king busiris black and brown court entourage.This picture proove that the egyptian were black/brown african .Dana Marniche posted that original rare picture earlier this month or last month I saved it quickly .

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^LOL at troll account trying to build up his post "traffic" count...

-

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) zarahan what would be the motive in getting traffic counts?

2) did you look at the book or just go straight to the excuse to post the laughing guys for the hundredth time?

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A stark classical case of racism is Aristotle's associating "blackness" with cowardice.

In his Physiognomica Aristotle writes that "too black a hue as with Egyptians and Kushites marks a coward..." In the same passage he equates the whiteness of women also with cowardice.

In one stroke Aristotle was being not only racist but also sexist.

The blackness of Egyptians or Nubians has nothing to do with their bravery--yet both traits are linked. A clear case of classical racism. It's like the case of Emmanuel Kant--German philosopher--who wrote that when he saw a black man talking to someone at a distance he automatically assumed that the black man was talking stupidities.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Sure, the racists of old like Kant dissed black folk, but
as regards the Greeks- against what Aristotle said
must be placed the high esteem other influential Greeks
held for the Ethiopians- called "the blameless
Ethiopians." (Snowden 1970). As one historian sez:
"for Homer and presumably other Greeks of his
time the Ethiopians were a particularly virtuous
people with close associations with the gods.
This, and Homer's knowledge of Pygmies (who lived
in the land where cranes migrated in winter) show
that he had some sense of African Geography (Iliad. III.5-7).

The above of course is fully aware that the Greeks
were highly ethnocentric (racist in some interpretations
of their writings). No disagreement there.

Now whiteness itself too is hardly only a fount
of goodness. In fact whiteness has often been
associated with death and decay- like the pallor
of a dying man, or associated with the demonic-
whiteness - as in the supernatural. The classic occurrence of
this in literature is the demonic white whale- Moby Dick.
Old line Black Muslims knew this - hence their
continued linkage of the violence and corruption
of whites to what was Satanic and demonic-
i.e. "the white devils."

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I regard Immanuel Kant as Black, but belonging to those Blacks who opposed the Black identified nobility. Black Caucasian: black but in fact white of identity. If he spoke bad about Blacks he meant the nobility. Black slaves, Africans were never a tread to Europe, so they could never have been talking about those Blacks, part enslaved too.
So all this was used to get rid of the nobility.
Because the revolutionairies were few in number they made the whites important, to get rid of the Black identified kings and nobles. When France's royalty was beheaded, the rest followed,in getting rid of their kings.

-

Kant, a dark skinned portrait.

[The Invention of Racism in Classical Antiquity]

I have requested this book at the library.
To me racism was a invention in 1760 to get rid of the Black nobility and kings.
Racism against Blacks is a liberation ideology.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading this books. Not prepared to believe a word he says, because its revisionist bs. He has dutch connections too. Tel Aviv university.

No Nobility in his Index.

The Athenians were from the ground, never mixed with other Greeks, who were mixed with barbarians. They were a natural nobility. Greek writers against intermarriage with Persians, which will weaken the nation.

I see many parallels with my findings on the Blacks who declared themselves a nobility over the whites, who came later. The need to intermarry, not diluting the Black blood. a cast system. Non noble Blacks benefiting.

We really need to ask to what purpose 18th century people started to invent human races. What was the sudden need? It was not scientific. And they had brown and black complexions themselves. Why the hatred for Blacks: were there any Blacks in Europe, or outside as a menacing factor? To go to war with.

The only war the writers of the enlightenment were up to was aginst the nobility and the kings. These are the Blacks they were writing about. Not some poor slave in Haiti or Guadeloupe.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

comparison of this book cover to actual art

-

-
Priests of Osiris, Szene from the legend of Hercules: The fight against Busiris (Caetaner Hydria, about 530 B.C., now in Vienna)

-
 -

black-figure period 620-480 BC

The black-figure period coincides approximately with the era designated by Winkelmann as the middle to late Archaic, from c. 620 to 480 BC. The technique of incising silhouetted figures with enlivening detail which we now call the black-figure method was, as we saw, a Corinthian invention of the 7th century and spread from there to other city states and regions including Sparta,Boeotia, Euboea,the east Greek islands and Athens.
 -

-

red-figure period

The innovation of the red-figure technique was an Athenian invention of the late 6th century. The ability to render detail by direct painting rather than incision offered new expressive possibilities to artists such as three-quarter profiles, greater anatomical detail and the representation of perspective. The first generation of red-figure painters worked in both red- and black-figure as well as other methods including Six's technique and white ground; the latter was developed at the same time as red-figure

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Greek vase showing Hercules fighting Egyptian King Busiris and his courtiers is very powerful.The Chinese maxim states a picture is worth a thousand words, this vase prove it.This vase prove that the Egyptian were black and the Greek were brown-black.

In the vase you see dark caramel brown(black race) Greek Hercules beating up the black Egyptian and the yellow-black Egyptian(mulato children of the black Egyptian)in King Busiris court.The proof they are Egyptian is they are wearing their traditional white pleated robe.Beautiful picture.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good books on the matter is Black folks Here and There.
 -

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Great book indeed. It covers a lot retrospective.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
Some good books on the matter is Black folks Here and There.
 -

-
Kemsit

what does the book say about this?

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't remember if he specifically mentioned Kemsit and her two lite-skinned handmaidens only that those dynasties were exceptionally powerful their presence being felt as far away as the Black sea state of Georgia and the Island of Crete and that utmost respect for Blacks carried right up to the Greeks and Romans after that things began to go really down hill.. sorry my books are in N.Y
If T.P have the books in his library he can help out.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't possess these. I read the first volume, years ago. It was a library rented version.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com