EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Racial pride in Africa(historical and modern)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Racial pride in Africa(historical and modern)
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PreColonialAfrica13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How "proud" are Africans generally when it comes to being African or black(not mutually exclusive). In both a historical and modern concept. I know in North Africa people are more likely to identify with being Arab rather than African but this isn't always true. Gaddafi was always pretty involved in African politics and Nasser was both a Pan-Arabist and pro Pan-Africanism.

What about East Africa? I saw a documentary on the swahili states with henry louis gates where he appeared shocked when he asked two extremely dark-skinned swahili men about their origins and they both said Persian, or Arab. He went to a local sheik who was clearly of African origins but chose to identify himself as Arab and stated that he tried not to look down on Africans. Whereas in Nubia both Egyptians and the Sudanese seem very proud of their ancestors and neighbors alike, i.e. the "nubian" look was popular in ancient egypt.

As for Ethiopia and Somalia, people generally seem to think these people are Semitic or Arab, but that's very clearly false, but I'm sure Ethiopians/Somalis identifying themselves as Semitic doesn't help either. i.e. Ethiopian dynasty claiming descent from Solomon.

West Africa is a little different, when the Moroccans took the cleric of Timbuktu to Marrakesh in the 16th century he refused to assimilate and give up his identity and called himself Ahmed Baba Es Sudane(the black man). I don't know much about perceptions on race in other parts of Africa but these are just a few examples.

Any thoughts? What contributes to such lies and insecurity?

Posts: 74 | From: Kanata | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pan Africanism could be a modern political strategy, a coopertaion between African states rather than necessarily a personal racial pride intent.

The association with Arabs is really more about reilgion Islam. Roughly the Northen half of Africa is primarily Muslim while the lower half is primarily Christian. Islam asks people make a pilgrimage to Mecca once in their lives. Christianity is less focused on location, except Catholics somewhat

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PreColonialAfrica13:

Any thoughts? What contributes to such lies and insecurity?

I don't think, it's directly connected to insecurity. The major factor of such "lies" among some Muslim people (especially fundamentalists) is to show that you're descendant of Muhammed the prophet from Saudi Arabia. As a devout muslim, you can understand how such person would want to be related to Muhammed the prophet, the Mecca and Saudi Arabia (thus Arabic people). Obviously many muslims don't care about those things and are very proud of their Africanity. So the religious aspect is what contribute most to such sayings imo.
Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PreColonialAfrica13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but all of those people can't honestly be descended from prophet Muhammad. And even if you were, it wouldn't make you better than anyone else.
Posts: 74 | From: Kanata | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
True, but all of those people can't honestly be descended from prophet Muhammad. And even if you were, it wouldn't make you better than anyone else.

I hope you don't propose to argument with religious devout about those things and nitpicks. LOL
Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
But it's true though, your ancestry has no bearing on your piety as a Muslim. The prophet even said an Arab is no better than a non-Arab, a white no better than a black,etc.
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
Pan Africanism could be a modern political strategy, a coopertaion between African states rather than necessarily a personal racial pride intent.

Pan-Africanism is already about modern political strategy as well as historical, cultural and biological commonalities. Unity in diversity they like to say. Which is a good saying for all the humanity.
HabariTess
Member # 19629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HabariTess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading a memoir of a kikuyu girl growing up in Kenya around the time the Europeans came. Many of the kikuyu abandon their way of life, how they dress, and how they act to fit the European way. Those who wanted to continue their traditions were look down upon as backwards. I see it as they were impressed by what they saw and what the europeans had that they began to view their previous way of living as primitive. They wanted to become like a European, which means gaining what they had.
Posts: 116 | From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Racial pride" is a dubious concept. Should white Westerners feel justifiable "pride" in how modern science and technology, plus Western economic and political institutions dominate the world. Think of the power of the IMF, World Bank, U.S. Central Bank--with its dollar having the reserve status of gold, etc. etc.?

In the case of modern Africa--that is what really counts--a clear-headed clinical analysis will show that its jigsaw-like conglomeration of mini-states are on the lowest rungs in all indices of human progress. Check out the UNDP "Human Development Index". Report Card: D/F. Northern European nations plus Australia and Canada--A/B+.

Such a situation is of very little concern to the vast majority of Africa's governments, run as they are by ignorant, venal, and corrupt classes. The goal of the members of the governing classes is a single one: the accumulation of stolen wealth--from Cairo to Cape.

The result is a continent full of confused, desperate, and ignorant people looking for salvation under the double sway of the "pie in the sky" imported superstitions called Islam and Christianity. There is such alienated ignorance that people fight and oppose each other over these alienating nonsense beliefs.

Good money is wasted each year to run over to the primitive desert land carved out by the British and now called Saudi Arabia to genuflect before a massive iron vulva. This is just a dumb exercise in kissing Arab a**. Now the victims of the other imported religion, Christianity are now matching the confounded Haj with pilgrimage to Jerusalem. They call themselves JP to match the Alhaji title worn proudly by the a** kissers who flock to Arabia each year.

Africa needs to move from the lowest rungs of the Human Development Index to its topmost rungs by having governments that are serious in mind and show great responsibility. Instead of having old those useless play-money currencies, have no more than 3 that would match the Euro-American currencies. Instead of building more pie-in-the-sky mosques and churches build more centres of real knowledge--libraries, schools, universities, etc.

Instead of fighting and bickering over nonsense why not relax the borders created by the European colonialists to form serious regional political and economic groupings. Cut back on the murderous greed and selfishness that created the wars ranging from the Biafran conflict to the resource wars of the Congo. Africa should just stop being the victim of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Otherwise: desperate people dying of thirst trekking across the Sahara to reach the lands of their "white saviours", desperate people drowning in the sea after being herded into rickety boats to reach their lands of their white lords and masters.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You obviously have no understanding of Islam then. Do you even know what the Sunnah is? Muhammad is the Demi-God of Islam

quote:
it wouldn't make you better than anyone else.

Posts: 8806 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But it's true though, your ancestry has no bearing on your piety as a Muslim. The prophet even said an Arab is no better than a non-Arab, a white no better than a black,etc.

It's a difficult question, but I do believe there is a process of consciousness going on.

Part 6 Origins of Arab identity in Egypt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2t0AGfQNGs

Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lamin people saying "'I'm proud to be Black" is common in the United States. Regardless of whether you like the concept or not how popular is people saying that in West Africa?

Troll Patrol I'm asking lamin not you, at least let him answer first

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I wrote "proud to be anything as per race or ethnic group or religion" is just bogus. Humans should be modest. Modesty is a virtue. The most that should be said or felt is maybe some "satisfaction" that the government you voted for has not been corrupt, cruel, pompous, stupid, etc, after some years. You express "satisfaction" when the government you voted for is responsive to public interests such as "good roads[ like in Germany], clean water, reliable public transportation including efficient and safe railway trains, good and affordable medical care[as in Scandinavia], effective education from infancy to terminal degrees at cheap prices[as in Scandinavia], public safety with disciplined and intelligent non-violent police[as in Scandinavia], equal and unqualified individual rights, manufacture hi-tech goods, good salaries,convertible currencies, regional integration,etc.".

In West Africa there are very few things to be satisfied about given the region's natural resources plus being not in an earthquake, typhoon or tsunami zone. "Proud to be black"? Nobody talks like that here.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pride In Being Black or White, Is bogus.

What matters is how you treat your Fam(human race).

When you learn to look past Race, color Etc Then and only then will you beable to grow and prosper like JAH JAH wants us to be.

Remember what the Bible states If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18

Bible does not tell Christians to ONLY LIVE in Peace with others of the same faith, But WITH ALL mankind.

Unlike the quran, where it states don't take jews and Christians as friends because they are friends to each other.

Showing and supporting Brotherhood builds an better Place.

In Toronto, I see Persians and Saudis rocking HUGE AFROS loud and proud. Why people who are NOT known to have Kinky Hair, LOVE IT??? Blacks In general have Kinks but they buy products to destroy the one thing that seperates Africans as Not Only the 1st people But with original Hair, Heck Even JESUS had WOOLY HAIR.

Its too bad I have no clue how to post pics on the Net, I would be able to show you Arabs and Persiand rocking Afros as AFROcans. Love of Black is growing because Blacks extend peace and Love to others like No others. Even through all the Hate WHITES LOVE BLACKS. It shows in People Like DOxie who claim to be White and hates this forum, yet she stays because deep down she wants Black approval(She will deny). All the attention that euros showed and claim Black civis is because deep down most euros KNOW they are an Young ethnicity and want what they can't have. 1st people, Survive the holocaust of Africa and come out creating 75% of Americas Cultures and In brasilly 80%. Whites Love Blacks in ways that Blacks don't care for whites. In the Eyes of Euros there is ONLY BLacks and Whites. Why you think I posted pics and videos of White Rastas. They come to African culture humble and respectful Who would Think an religion that 75% claim Selassie I as Jesus and The prophets as ALL BLACK would make whites want part in it. Its because Blacks Are THEE MOST Loving and aceepting people on Gods green Earth whether from Africa, India, Ausytralia, Figians, Melenesians, Polonesians etc

Why you think African elites steel from there people and Kill??? Sometimes you can Be TOO NICE and people evil will take advantage of it. Like what I heard about Kikuyu turning there backs on there own culture is Truly Brainwashing.

In my Church there is this Kikuy woman when I tried to talk to her about the MAu Mau rebellion in Kenya she said, basically that "People don't care about that in Kenya" Sad but being hammered with White Beauty, White right, Black face craps makes Blacks KILL there Hair and Hate there skin.

Even though White woman tan, thicken lips, bresdt implants Booty surgery etc They still feel inferior to Whites. Persians and Saudis seem to have no hiccup about there Hair and Laugh if people ask them why the grow Afros. They Truly LOVE that part of there AFROcan heritage. Africans, African AMericans, Brazillian Africans, Please wakeup [Frown] Love what God Blessed you with is to show Who Came 1st and Even Jesus had Afrohair. Stop the Hate and realize Black, White breeds Grey the COLOR OF PEACE, Red, Blue Breeds Purple the COLOR OF LOVE.

Let Peace reign in your Heart and stand strong.

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:

As I wrote "proud to be anything as per race or ethnic group or religion" is just bogus. Humans should be modest. Modesty is a virtue. The most that should be said or felt is maybe some "satisfaction" that the government you voted for has not been corrupt, cruel, pompous, stupid, etc, after some years. You express "satisfaction" when the government you voted for is responsive to public interests such as "good roads, clean water, reliable public transportation including efficient and safe railway trains, good and affordable medical care, effective education from infancy to terminal degrees at cheap prices, public safety with disciplined and intelligent non-violent police, equal and unqualified individual rights, manufacture hi-tech goods, good salaries, convertible currencies, regional integration, etc.".

In West Africa there are very few things to be satisfied about given the region's natural resources plus being not in an earthquake, typhoon or tsunami zone. "Proud to be black"? Nobody talks like that here.

-  -  -  -  -
Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com