EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Clothing in Africa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clothing in Africa
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PreColonialAfrica13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of clothing would one find commonly used in pre-colonial africa? My thread on Somalia has tons of great pictures of somalis in their traditional clothing. What about the rest of Africa? I know anything from mere loincloths to embroidered robes were common, but what else? I know Asante soldiers wore a kind of tunic in battle(despite being depicted half-naked wearing leopard skins in battle) and that the people of benin wore tunics and pleated trousers, but let's see some pics!
Posts: 74 | From: Kanata | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PreColonialAfrica13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traditional somali clothing: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1504119
Posts: 74 | From: Kanata | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
bump! Would've thought that this thread would have interested more people.
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a similar thread like this before.
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000900

Western Sudanic calvary clothing would have looked like this.
 -

Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would be badass beyond belief if an Ashanti women warrior or any other West African female warrior dressed like this. [Cool]
 -

Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
The women of Mali and other Western Sudanic states would have probably dressed something like this.
 -
 -

-

-

-

-

I'm just having fun right now. [Wink]

In the novel I am currently writing, the women of Songhai dress EXTREMELY lavish.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ That's exactly how I've always imagined traditional West African women to dress.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Cool pics, hey Son of Ra, I did see a pic of a Dahomey Amazon on here pictured in a similarly badass away, not as sexualized, but the truth isn't probably too far from that.
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
 -

Not really sexualized, but still beautiful and deadly. As I understand it the dahomey amazons weren't the only female warriors in african society, but easily the most prominent.

PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/dahomey.html

Awesome, lol.

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/dahomey.html

quote:
The Dahomey Amazons are the only documented all-female official front-line combat arms military unit in modern history. Tough, uber-intense asskicking women single-mindedly devoted to hardening themselves into ruthless instruments of battlefield destruction, these machete-wielding, musket-slinging lady terminators were rightly-feared throughout Western Africa for over250 years, not only for their fanatical devotion to battle, but for their utter refusal to back down or retreat from any fight unless expressly ordered to do so by their king. If you were some poor conscript douchebag militia soldier hanging out around your barracks and you saw these scary-as-**** kill-chicks suddenly start charging out of the woods in your direction, screaming their war chants with their muskets barking fire and their signature double-edged two-foot-long machetes brandished threateningly over their heads, you had one fleeting moment to overcome your crippling panic and defend yourself. Because if you failed to kill them – and I mean if you failed to kill every single last fucking one of them, some murderous woman was going to club you unconscious with a musket butt, drag you back to her capital, chop off your head with one swing of her machete, boil the skin off of your decapitated face, and then use your skull to decorate the royal palace.
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
I imagine Nefertari looking and dressing something like this...
 -

Bilal Dogon
Member # 21572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bilal Dogon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be even more awesome if she really could unleash flames of green energy too, lol.
Posts: 100 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com