EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Identity of "Eastern Ethiopians" according to Herodotus (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Identity of "Eastern Ethiopians" according to Herodotus
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://classics.mit.edu/Herodotus/history.7.vii.html

Herodotus, The Persian Wars

Translated by George Rawlinson (1858–60)

Book VII

[7.70] The eastern Ethiopians -
for two nations of this name served in the army - were marshalled with the Indians.
They differed in nothing
from the other Ethiopians,
save in their language, and the character of their hair.
For the eastern Ethiopians have straight hair,
while they of Libya are more woolly-haired than any other people in the world.

I had interpreted the above in another thread as meaning:
the Indians are like Ethiopians and they were grouped together in the army
The Indians differed in nothing from the other Ethiopians except for their language, and the character of their hair.
The Ethiopians of Africa are more woolly-haired than any other people in the world. The Indians are like an "Eastern Ethiopian" but they have straight hair.

^^^^ Am I correct that Herodotus is calling Indians "Eastern Ethiopians"???

I'm not sure about it, the Herodotus statement is confusing if properly translated

Here is a second interpratation:

There were two nations of Ethiopians both in Africa one in West Ethiopia the other in Eastern Ethiopia. The Western ones had straight hair and they were grouped together in the army with with Indians who also had straight hair.
This is assuming the translation is good of:

The eastern Ethiopians -
for two nations of this name served in the army - were marshalled with the Indians.

^^^ If there are two nations by the name of Ethiopians and Indians are also mentioned then there are three groups, two groups of Ethiopians in Africa and Indians in Asia who looked similar to one of the Ethiopian groups, the Eastern ones.
key words "by the name of"

However if Rawlinson was inaccurate in his translation my first interpertation might be right that there were only two groups one actually named "Ethiopian" the other the Indians who looked like an Ethiopian of the East but were not actually named "Ethiopian".

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that Ethiopian is used both as the name of "nation states" and the racial identication of the Indians as "blacks".

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
It appears that Ethiopian is used both as the name of "nation states" and the racial identication of the Indians as "blacks".

If Ethiopians (Aethiopians) when applied to people means black and not specfically people from south of Egypt then there should be some other mention in the whole of Herodotus' writings apart from this one possible instance, there should be another instance where Herodotus calls Indians Ethiopian again or any dark people not from south of Egypt Ethiopian.
Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the lioness,:
[QB] http://classics.mit.edu/Herodotus/history.7.vii.html

Herodotus, The Persian Wars

Translated by George Rawlinson (1858–60)

Book VII

[7.70] The eastern Ethiopians -
They differed in nothing
For the eastern Ethiopians have straight hair,
while they of Libya are more woolly-haired than any other people in the world.

Here is a different translation:

The History of Herodotus, parallel English/Greek, tr. G. C. Macaulay, [1890], at sacred-texts.com

70. Of the Ethiopians above Egypt and of the Arabians the commander, I say, was Arsames; but the Ethiopians from the direction of the sunrising (for the Ethiopians were in two bodies) had been appointed to serve with the Indians, being in no way different from the other Ethiopians, but in their language and in the nature of their hair only; for the Ethiopians from the East are straight-haired, but those of Libya have hair more thick and woolly than that of any other men. These Ethiopians from Asia were armed for the most part like the Indians, but they had upon their heads the skin of a horse's forehead flayed off with the ears and the mane, and the mane served instead of a crest, while they had the ears of the horse set up straight and stiff: and instead of shields they used to make defences to hold before themselves of the skins of cranes

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/hh/hh7070.htm

^^^^ also confusing and ambiguous

some reconstructions of Herodotus' world map but the problem is they are specualtion and vary

-

-

the Greek

70. τῶν μὲν δὴ ὑπὲρ Αἰγύπτου Αἰθιόπων καὶ Ἀραβίων ἦρχε Ἀρσάμης, οἱ δὲ ἀπὸ ἡλίου ἀνατολέων Αἰθίοπες (διξοὶ γὰρ δὴ ἐστρατεύοντο) προσετετάχατο τοῖσι Ἰνδοῖσι, διαλλάσσοντες εἶδος μὲν οὐδὲν τοῖσι ἑτέροισι, φωνὴν δὲ καὶ τρίχωμα μοῦνον· οἱ μὲν γὰρ ἀπὸ ἡλίου Αἰθίοπες ἰθύτριχες εἰσί, οἱ δ’ ἐκ τῆς Λιβύης οὐλότατον τρίχωμα ἔχουσι πάντων ἀνθρώπων. 7.70.2 οὗτοι δὲ οἱ ἐκ τῆς Ἀσίης Αἰθίοπες τὰ μὲν πλέω κατά περ Ἰνδοὶ ἐσεσάχατο, προμετωπίδια δὲ ἵππων εἶχον ἐπὶ τῇσι κεφαλῇσι σύν τε τοῖσι ὠσὶ ἐκδεδαρμένα καὶ τῇ λοφιῇ· καὶ ἀντὶ μὲν λόφου ἡ λοφιὴ κατέχρα, τὰ δὲ ὦτα τῶν ἵππων ὀρθὰ πεπηγότα εἶχον· προβλήματα δὲ ἀντ’ ἀσπίδων ἐποιεῦντο γεράνων δοράς.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

If Ethiopians (Aethiopians) when applied to people means black and not specfically people from south of Egypt then there should be some other mention in the whole of Herodotus' writings apart from this one possible instance, there should be another instance where Herodotus calls Indians Ethiopian again or any dark people not from south of Egypt Ethiopian.
You have a valid point, there were other groups in Africa who were dark skinned, that were not called Ethiopians. The only other reason for the use of this ethononym for the Indians could be, Herodotus knew that the Dravidians came from Kush.

The research of B.B. Lal, proves that the South Indian megalithic culture was related to the C-Group Culture. The archaeological, linguistic and anthropological data offers concrete evidence that both groups had similar origins and as a result could be identified by the same ethnonym. It is almost impossible to understand the reasoning of Herodotus without doing an etymological study of the words Indi and Ethiopian.

A word can have different meanings overtime and at different points/times during history. For example, for over a hundred years the word 'gay' meant 'happy', but today it can also mean a male homosexual . As a result, if a person today attempted to translate the word gay in text, prior to the 1980's, with the meaning of 'male homosexual', the translation of these text would be wrong.

To show how difficult this task is just copy the Greek passage you posted above in the Google translator and you will see how difficult the task would be to get a good translation of this text that you would understand, based on contemporary Greek. People like the Rawlinson's, DuBois etc., had an advantage over us in that they had studied Latin and maybe even Greek back in High School or earlier. this gave them a firsthand knowledge of Greek, which allowed them to supplement their prior knowledge from books and dictionaries they studied in the library to refine their translations.

I know this to be true because my knowledge of french gained in High School and Arabic learned from Moorish scientists back in the day helped me in my studies of African History back during my university and early afrocentric research days. But alas, you have to regularly read text in Greek, French or Arabic to stay well grounded in the languages, when they are not your native language. I will be honest I can not write good prose today in French, Arabic or Swahili, like I did in the 1970's and 1980's because I have been studying so many other languages up to now, and I rarely read French, Arabic and Swahili material or write research papers in these languages, since they don't relate to my present research interest.

If anyone on your team really wants to understand this topic they should plan to spend a considerable amount of time researching this theme.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I know this to be true because my knowledge of french gained in High School and Arabic learned from Moorish scientists back in the day helped me in my studies of African History back during my university and early afrocentric research days.

No wonder why you try to claim European haplogroups and admixture then to be African. Genetically (and culturally for that matter) Berbers are already European/African admixtures with some middle eastern introgression. They were conquered. They are often arabized and islamized.

How can you be taught afrocentrism from people who have such cultural affiliation to Europe and the Middle East?

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Amun-Ra you seem to be unaware of Noble Drew Ali's Moorish Science Temple (keyword: "science" after word Moor)

here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorish_Science_Temple_of_America

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Amun-Ra you seem to be unaware of Nobel Drew Ali's Moorish Science Temple (keyword: "science" after word Moor)

here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorish_Science_Temple_of_America

I was unaware of it but it doesn't change my position.
Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

Yet another map theorizing how Herodotus saw the world.
This one has "Eastern Ethiopians" marked in the India position.
This map however doesn't mark Libya, Europe or Asia
Interetsingly none of Arabia is called Ethiopian although he says according to Macaulay:

"Of the Ethiopians above Egypt and of the Arabians the commander, I say, was Arsames; but the Ethiopians from the direction of the sunrising (for the Ethiopians were in two bodies) had been appointed to serve with the Indians"

However Arsames was Persian

I think the proper interpretation may be that he's saying that Indians are Indians but some who live in India are straight haired Ethiopians. The Libyans are similar to them but have kinky hair
That seems to fit

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:

So basically, East Ethiopians are similar to other Ethiopians but have a different hair style?
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:
They differed in nothing

East Ethiopians:

-
Afar Boys

-
Afar Warrior Dancing

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
He seems not to have meant Ethiopians of East Ethiopia like the Afar. He would call them Libyan which at that time meant all the Northern half Africa (and they may not have had knowledge of the southern half of the continent.
By the Eastern Ethiopians he meant some of the people living in India (if my theory is right)

quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
quote:

So basically, East Ethiopians are similar to other Ethiopians but have a different hair style?
No they have a different hair type, naturally straight, not styled straight according to the intent of the quote.
In Herodotus' mind they seemed related to African Ethiopians
(although genetically distinct) and culturally distinct (which he did mention)

-
 -

^^^^ He may have been calling Indian people like this "Eastern Ethiopian" but other Indians, "Indians"

-
^^ Interestingly he didn't call some of the darker skinned Arabs Ethiopian however but I will have to re-check that

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
_______________^^^^ It's hard to know for sure
but this kid might have some Indian or Arabian ancestry,
hence the different hair, it's not afro hair or straight, it's curly hair

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:
No they have a different hair type, naturally straight, not styled straight according to the intent of the quote.

There's no intent of the quote. Herodotus just mention people which are physically similar beside their hair. Seeing how difficult it is even for you to differentiate natural straight hair to different hair styles, I don't think Herodotus had any more capacity in that venture than us.

For you is that natural straight hair or a straightened (relaxed) hair style?
 -
Afar Warrior Dancing

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Here's father and daugther:

-
Karrayyu ethnic group

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB]
quote:

There's no intent of the quote. Herodotus just mention people which are physically similar beside their hair. Seeing how difficult it is even for you to differentiate natural straight hair to different hair styles, I don't think Herodotus had any more capacity in that venture than us.

-
 -

I'm not having any difficulty in this situation. I told you these woman have naturally straight hair, not relaxed.
Herodotus was talking about people like this.

70. .... the Ethiopians from the East are straight-haired, but those of Libya have hair more thick and woolly than that of any other men. These Ethiopians from Asia were armed for the most part like the Indians,

By "Libya" he means the old Greek definition he means all of Africa (to the limited extent they knew about it)
We are not talking about modern definitions of Eastern Ethiopians in Ethiopia.
He is calling a segment of people living in India "Eastern Ethiopins" and all Ethiopians in Ethiopia both in the East and West of Ethiopia Libyan Ethiopians

Libya, ancient Greek definition = the whole of Africa

Please stick to the topic, what Herodotus meant. The Macaulay translation is more detailed

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I know this to be true because my knowledge of french gained in High School and Arabic learned from Moorish scientists back in the day helped me in my studies of African History back during my university and early afrocentric research days.

No wonder why you try to claim European haplogroups and admixture then to be African. Genetically (and culturally for that matter) Berbers are already European/African admixtures with some middle eastern introgression. They were conquered. They are often arabized and islamized.
How can you be taught afrocentrism from people who have such cultural affiliation to Europe and the Middle East?

I have always acknowledged that the Berbers are of Vandal origin.

LOL. You are very ignorant of Afrocentrism. Cultural affiliation has not influenced my research interest or the research interest of other Afrocentric researchers.

Diop was a Muslim and spoke French, but this did not influence his view on African origin of Egypt.

Afrocentrism was founded by Afro-Americans. I knew Arabic and French because i was exposed to it before I attended Univ. IL-Urbana. Since I left University i have studied Swahili, Tamil, Malinke-Bambara, Mayan, Chinese and etc.

LOL.My minor for BA degree was West African history. Since at that time the major emphasis was on the West African kingdoms, my ability to read French and Arabic proved to be useful since much of the primary material was in Arabic and French.

My Master's thesis was on Blacks in the Indian Ocean region, so I learned Swahili. I learned these languages to get at the primary data.

Granted due to Doxa, cultural background can influence your research, but to claim it plays the most important part in how you interpret the research material is unfounded.

LOL. I don't believe you think before you write. Every author you quote is European, and you have interpreted the data from a Eurocentric perspective. It is you who are infleunced by Eurocentric cultural influences not me. You are careful to write about themes already supported by the status quo. Eurocentrists have decided that the origins of ancient people who lived in Egypt and Sudan in ancient times was the Sahara . They also agree that haplogroup L1, L2 and L3(x M,N)are African, and haplotype E, V88 etc., are African.

Like most african/negro researchers you talk only about haplogroups europeans have claimed belong to africans and negroes such as hg mtDNA L's, and y-chromosome E. It is you, that is influenced by Eurocentricity not me. I don't allow Europeans to decide for me what is African.

Unlike you I don't allow Europeans to decide on what is African/negro and what is European. I am an Afrocentrist. as a result I follow the paradigms and theories developed by earlier Afrocentrists.

Hypotheses are self-generating. Since we know that the Kushites took civilization to Eurasia, we can hypothesize that the major haplogroups found among the descendants of the Kushites such as mtDNA M and N, and y-chromosomes R,J, K,T,H etc.,have to also be African in origin. As a falsificationist writing about the origins of mtDNA M and N, and y-chromosone R, as African in origin, instead of existing in Africa as a result of a back migration is a continuation of Afrocentric theory construction.

You like most African/negro researchers today only write about topics sanctioned by Europeans. You manifest discussion of haplogroup E, because Eurocentrists have said it is okay to claim African origin of this haplogroup while any other haplogroup found among Europeans, if they exist among Africans, is the result of a back migration of 'European' into Africa.

It is sad that you and other contemporary researchers only write what Europeans "allow" you to write about. Concentrating on haplotype E, is the same as only writing about the West African kingdoms.

The early Afrocentrist were all expert in latin and Greek. These researchers such as DuBois , Parker, and the early group knew mainly german, latin, and greek. J,A, Rogers knew latin and french, None of these researchers who founded Afrocentrism knew any African languages, they only knew European languages but they were not Eurorocentric.

You are ghettoized in what you research (i.e,. concentrate on haplogroup E) . Free your mind and stop being a coward,

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
You can trick the novices on this site Ultimate because you have failed to study J.A. Rogers, DuBois and Diop.

I have taught research for years. I have taught my students that a good hypothesis is self-generating.

The Afrocentric study of ancient history (ASAH) is based on four hypotheses confirmed by 200 years of research.

The paradigms for ASAH predicted four hypotheses that were unknown at the time the "Ancient Model" of history was developed, to guide the development of scientific knowledge for the africalogical study of early history. These propositions based on the "Ancient Model" are:

(1) If Blacks founded civilization in Asia and Africa , they may have influenced civilization in the Americas.

(2) If Blacks founded civilization in West Asia, Africa and Europe, archaeological data will support their earlier presence in these regions of the world.

(3) If Blacks founded the first civilizations, they also invented writing and other elements of social and scientific technology.

(4) If Blacks founded civilization they probably founded civilization throughout Asia and Europe.

Given the two empirical paradigms and four predicted hypothesse related to the "Ancient Model", africalogical ancient history research increase the precision of the application of afrocentric research methods and scope of research in this area .

These hypotheses make Afrocentric researchers falsificationists. The falsificationists seeks to confirm or disconfirm the four ASAH hypotheses.

Euronuts always claim that Afrocentrism lacks a scientific base but they never provide counter evidence falsifying the four ASAH.

Coconut africans and african-americans, Fake Asian and European writers will never define OUR history.

-

Knowledge is cumulative. In other words we build new knowledge on the research of the giants in our field. From your lack of knowledge about DuBois' it is clear you have no recognition of the fact that what you guys are writing about has already been discussed formerly, and your job should be confirming or disconfirming what these giants wrote.

I have taught educational philosophy and research methods for year . In these classes I just don't talk about contemporary educators I also talk about the Greek philosophers, who influenced the field.

Ultimate I have posted the following previously. I hope you will read it this time and begin to recognize that what Ironlion, Mike, Marc and I write about is part of a 200 year tradition of Afro-American scholarship. Learn to respect your own scholars. Don't let white supremacy continue to blind you to the truths of history.

Afrocentrism, is a mature social science that was founded by Afro-Americans almost 200 years ago.

These men and women provided scholarship based on contemporary archaeological and historical research the African/Black origination of civilization throughout the world. These Afro-American scholars, mostly trained at Harvard University (one of the few Universities that admitted Blacks in the 19th Century) provide the scientific basis the global role played by African people in civilizing the world.

Afrocentrism and the africalogical study of ancient Black civilizations was began by Afro-Americans.

-

Edward Blyden

The foundation of any mature science is its articulation in an authoritive text (Kuhn, 1996, 136). The africalogical textbooks published by Hopkins (1905), Perry (1893) and Williams (1883) provided the vocabulary themes for further afrocentric social science research.

The pedagogy for ancient africalogical research was well established by the end of the 19th century by African American researchers well versed in the classical languages and knowledge of Greek and Latin. Cornish and Russwurm (1827) in the Freedom Journal, were the first African Americans to discuss and explain the "Ancient Model" of history.

-

These afrocentric social scientists used the classics to prove that the Blacks founded civilization in Egypt, Ethiopia, Babylon and Ninevah. Cornish and Russwurm (1827) made it clear that archaeological research supported the classical, or "Ancient Model" of history.

Edward Blyden (1869) also used classical sources to discuss the ancient history of African people. In his work he not only discussed the evidence for Blacks in West Asia and Egypt, he also discussed the role of Blacks in ancient America (Blyden, 1869, 78).

By 1883, africalogical researchers began to publish book on African American history. G.W. Williams (1883) wrote the first textbook on African American history. In the History of the Negro Race in America, Dr. Williams provided the schema for all future africalogical history text.

-

Dr. Williams (1883) confirmed the classical traditions for Blacks founding civilization in both Africa (Egypt, Ethiopia) and West Asia. In addition, to confirming the "Ancient Model" of history, Dr. Williams (1883) also mentioned the presence of Blacks in Indo-China and the Malay Peninsula. Dr. Williams was trained at Howard.

-

A decade later R.L. Perry (1893) also presented evidence to confirm the classical traditions of Blacks founding Egypt, Greece and the Mesopotamian civilization. He also provided empirical evidence for the role of Blacks in Phoenicia, thus increasing the scope of the ASAH paradigms.

-

Pauline E. Hopkins (1905) added further articulation of the ASAH paradigms of the application of these paradigms in understanding the role of Blacks in West Asia and Africa. Hopkins (1905) provided further confirmation of the role of Blacks in Southeast Asia, and expanded the scope of africalogical research to China (1905).

This review of the 19th century africalogical social scientific research indicate confirmation of the "Ancient Model" for the early history of Blacks. We also see a movement away from self-published africalogical research, and publication of research, and the publication of research articles on afrocentric themes, to the publication of textbooks.

It was in these books that the paradigms associated with the "Ancient Model" and ASAH were confirmed, and given reliability by empirical research. It was these texts which provided the pedagogic vehicles for the perpetuation of the africalogical normal social science.

The afrocentric textbooks of Hopkins (1905), Perry (1893) and Williams (1883) proved the reliability and validity of the ASAH paradigms. The discussion in these text of contemporary scientific research findings proving the existence of ancient civilizations in Egypt, Nubia-Sudan (Kush), Mesopotamia, Palestine and North Africa lent congruency to the classical literature which pointed to the existence of these civilizations and these African origins ( i.e., the children of Ham= Khem =Kush?).

The authors of the africalogical textbooks reported the latest archaeological and anthropological findings. The archaeological findings reported in these textbooks added precision to their analysis of the classical and Old Testament literature. This along with the discovery of artifacts on the ancient sites depicting Black\African people proved that the classical and Old Testament literature, as opposed to the "Aryan Model", objectively identified the Black\African role in ancient history. And finally, these textbooks confirmed that any examination of references in the classical literature to Blacks in Egypt, Kush, Mesopotamia and Greece\Crete exhibited constancy to the evidence recovered from archaeological excavations in the Middle East and the Aegean. They in turn disconfirmed the "Aryan Model", which proved to be a falsification of the authentic history of Blacks in early times.

The creation of africalogical textbooks provided us with a number of facts revealing the nature of the afrocentric ancient history paradigms. They include a discussion of:

1) the artifacts depicting Blacks found at ancient sites

recovered through archaeological excavation;

2) the confirmation of the validity of the classical and Old

Testament references to Blacks as founders of civilization in Africa and Asia;

3) the presence of isolated pockets of Blacks existing outside Africa; and

4) that the contemporary Arab people in modern Egypt are not the descendants of the ancient Egyptians.

The early africalogical textbooks also outlined the africalogical themes research should endeavor to study. A result, of the data collected by the africalogical ancient history research pioneers led to the development of three facts by the end of the 19th century, which needed to be solved by the afrocentric paradigms:

(1) What is the exact relationship of ancient Egypt, to Blacks in other parts of Africa;

(2) How and when did Blacks settle America, Asia and Europe;

(3) What are the contributions of the Blacks to the rise, and cultural expression ancient Black\African civilizations;

(4) Did Africans settle parts of America in ancient times.

As you can see the structure of Afrocentrism were made long before Boas and the beginning of the 20th Century.In fact , I would not be surprised if Boas learned what he talked about from the early Afrocentric researchers discussed in this post.

As you can see Afro-Americans have be writing about the Global history of ancient Black civilizations for almost 200 years. It was Afro-Americans who first mentioned the African civilizations of West Africa and the Black roots of Egypt. These Afro-Americans made Africa a historical part of the world.

Afro-American scholars not only highlighted African history they also discussed the African/Black civilizations developed by African people outside Africa over a hundred years before Bernal and Boas.

Your history of what you call "negrocentric" or Black Studies is all wrong. It was DuBois who founded Black/Negro Studies, especially Afro-American studies given his work on the slave trade and sociological and historical studies of Afro-Americans. He mentions in the World and Africa about the Jews and other Europeans who were attempting to take over the field.
 -
Hansberry
There is no one who can deny the fact that Leo Hansberry founded African studies in the U.S., not the Jews.Hansberry was a professor at Howard University.

Moreover, Bernal did not initiate any second wave of "negro/Blackcentric" study for ancient Egyptian civilization. Credit for this social science push is none other than Chiek Diop, who makes it clear that he was influenced by DuBois.

-

DuBois

These scholars recognized that the people of ancient Greece, Southeast Asia and Indo-China were African people. When giants in study of Afrocentrism discussed Blacks in Asia they were talking about people of African descent. So when you claim that these civilizations should be outside the study area of Afrocentric scholars you don't know what you're talking about.

The culture of thes scholars was American. English was their native language, yet these features did not make them parrot what Europeans wrote. These researchers used anthropological, archaeological historical and linguistic evidence to support their conclusions.They were the researchers who acknowledged that Africans built medieval civilizations in Africa, when Europeans claimed Africans did not have a history.

It is only natural that these well founded hypotheses developed by these scholars can be supported by population genetics.

REFERENCES

Anselin, A. (1982). Le mythe d' Europe. Paris: Editions Anthropos.

_______.(1982b). "Zeus, Ethiopien Minos Tamoul", Carbet Revue

Martinique de Sciences Humaines,no. 2:31-50.

_______.(1989). "Le Lecon Dravidienne",Carbet Revue Martinique

de Sciences Humaines, no.9:7-58.

Asante,M.A. (July-August, 1996). "Ancient Truths", Emerge , 66-70.

Asante,M.K. (1990) Kemet,Afrocentricity,and Knowledge. Trenton

,NJ:Africa World Press.

_________ (1991). "The Afrocentric idea in Education",Journal

of Negro Education,60(2):170-180.

__________.(December 1991/January 1992). "Afrocentric Curri-

culum".Educational Leadership, pp.28-31.

Bernal, M. (1996, Spring). The Afrocentric interpretation of history: Bernal replies to Lefkowitz. Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 86-95.

Bernal,M. (1987). Black Athena. New York: Free Association Press. Volume 1.

________. (1991). Black Athena. New York: Free Association Press. Volume 2.

Blyden, E.W. ( January, 1869). The Negro in ancient history.

Methodist Quarterly Review, 71-93.

Blyden, E.W. (1887). Christianity, Islam and the Negro Race. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.

_____________. (1890). The African Problem and the method for

its solution. Washington, D.C.: Gibson Brothers.

_______________.(1905). West Africa before Europe. London:

C.M. Phillips.

Clegg, L.H. (1975). Who were the first Americans? The Black

Scholar, 7(1), 32-41.

Coleman, B.E. (1971). A history of Swahili, The Black Scholar,

2 (6), 13-25.

Cornish, S. & Russwurm, J.B. (1827). European colonies in America, Freedom Journal, 1.

Carruthers, J. (1977). Writing for Eternity, black book bulletin,

5 (2), 32-35.

Carruthers, J. (1980). Reflections on the history of afrocentric

worldview, black book bulletin, 7(1), 4-13, 25.

Delany, M.R. (1978). The origin of races and color. Baltimore, M.D.: Black Classic Press.

Diop,C.A. (1974). The African Origin of Civilization. (ed. & Trans) by Mercer Cook, Westport:Lawrence Hill & Company.

_________.(1977). Parente genetique de l'Egyptien Pharaonique et

des Languaes Negro-Africaines. Dakar: IFAN ,Les Nouvelles

Editions Africaines.

__________.(1978) The Cultural Unity of Black Africa. Chicago: Third World Press.

__________. (1981). A Methodology for the study of migration.

UNESCO (Ed.), African Ethnonyms and Toponyms, (pp.87-110).

Paris: UNESCO.

___________.(1986). "Formation of the Berber Branch". In Libya

Antiqua. (ed.) by Unesco,(Paris: UNESCO) pp.69-73.

____________.(1987). Precolonial Black Africa. (trans. ) by

Harold Salemson, Westport: Lawrence Hill & Company.

____________.(1988). Nouvelles recherches sur l'Egyptien ancient

et les langues Negro-Africaines Modernes. Paris: Presence

Africaine.

_____________(1991). Civilization or Barbarism: An Authentic Anthropology. (trans.) by Yaa-Lengi Meema Ngemi and (ed.) by

H.J. Salemson and Marjoliiw de Jager, Westport:Lawrence

Hill and Company.

Douglas, F. (1966). The claims of the Negro ethnologically considered. In H. Brotz (Ed.), Negro social and political

thought (pp. 226-244). New York: Basic Books, Inc., Pub.

DuBois, W.E.B. (1924). The Gift of Black Folks. Boston.

DuBois, W.E.B. (1970). The Negro. New York: Oxford University

Press.

DuBois, W.E.B. (1965). The world and Africa. New York :

International Publishers Co., Inc.

Ferris, W.H. (1913). The African abroad. 2 vols. New Haven,CT

:Tuttle, Morehouse and Taylor.

Garvey, M. (1966). Who and What is a Negro. In H. Brotz (Ed.), Negro social and political thought (pp. 560-562).New York: Basic Books, Inc. Publishers.

Graves, Robert. (1980). The Greek Myths. Middlesex:Peguin Books

Ltd. 2 volumes.

Hansberry, L.H. (1981). Africa and Africans: As seen by classical

writers (Vol. 2). Washington, D.C.: Howard University Press.

Hopkins, P.E. (1905). A Primer of Facts pertaining to the early greatness of the african race and the possibility of restoration by its descendants-with epilogue. Cambridge: P.E. Hopkins & Com.

Hume, D. (1875). Essays: Moral political and literary. T.H. Green

and T.H. Grose. 2 Vols. London.

Jackson, J. (1974). Introduction to African civilization.

Secaucus, N.J.: Citadel Press.

James, G.M. (1954). Stolen legacy. New York: Philosophical Library.

Kuhn, T.S. (1996). The structure of scientific revolution.

Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Lacouperie, Terrien de. (1891). The black heads of Babylonia and ancient China, The Babylonian and Oriental Record, 5 (11), 233-246.

Lawrence, H.G. (1962). African explorers of the New World,

The Crisis, 321-332.

Merton, R.K. (1957). Social theory aand social structure.

Glencoe, Ill. : The Free Press.

Moitt,B. (1989). "Chiekh Anta Diop and the African Diaspora:

Historical Continuity and Socio-Cultural Symbolism".

Presence Africaine, no. 149-150:347-360.

Parker,G.W. (1917) . "The African Origin of Grecian Civilization

".Journal of Negro History, 2(3):334-344.

___________. (1981). The Children of the Sun. Baltimore,Md.:

Black Classic Press.

Perry, R.L. (1893). The Cushite. Brooklyn: The Literary Union.

Rawlinson, George. (1928).The History of Herodutus. New York

: Tudor.

Schomburg, A.A. (March, 1925).The Negro digs up his past.

Survey Graphic, 670-672.

Schomburg, A.A. (1979). Racial integrity. Baltimore, M.D.:

Black Classic Press.

Thompson, Jr. A.A. (1975). Pre-Columbian [African] presence

in the Western Hemisphere,Negro History Bulletin, 38 (7), 452-456.

Williams, G.W. (1869). History of the Negro Race in America. New York: G.P. Putnam.

Wimby, D. (1980). The Greco-Roman Tradition concerning Ethiopia and Egypt, black books bulletin, 7(1), 14-19, 25.

Winters, C.A. (1977). The influence of the Mande scripts on ancient American writing systems", Bulletin l'de IFAN, T39, serie B, no. 2 (1977), pp.941-967.

Winters, C.A. (1979). Manding Scripts in the New World", Journal of African Civilizations, l(1), 80-97.

Winters,C.A. (December 1981/ January 1982). Mexico's Black Heritage. The Black Collegian, 76-84.

Winters, C.A. (1983a). "The Ancient Manding Script". In Blacks

in Science:Ancient and Modern. (ed.) by Ivan van Sertima, (New Brunswick: Transaction Books) pp.208-215.

__________. (1983b). "Les Fondateurs de la Grece venaient d'Afrique en passant par la Crete". Afrique Histoire (Dakar), no.8:13-18.

_________. (1983c) "Famous Black Greeks Important in the development of Greek Culture". Return to the Source,2(1):8.

________.(1983d). "Blacks in Ancient China, Part 1, The Founders

of Xia and Shang", Journal of Black Studies 1 (2), 8-13.

________. (1984a). "Blacks in Europe before the Europeans".

Return to the Source, 3(1):26-33.

Winters, C.A. (1984b). Blacks in Ancient America, Colorlines, 3(2), 27-28.

Winters, C.A. (1984c). Africans found first American Civilization , African Monitor, l , pp.16-18.

_________.(1985a). "The Indus Valley Writing and related

Scripts of the 3rd Millennium BC". India Past and

Present, 2(1):13-19.

__________. (1985b). "The Proto-Culture of the Dravidians,

Manding and Sumerians". Tamil Civilization,3(1):1-9.

__________. (1985c). "The Far Eastern Origin of the Tamils",

Journal of Tamil Studies , no.27, pp.65-92.

__________.(1986). The Migration Routes of the Proto-Mande.

The Mankind Quarterly,27 (1), 77-96.

_________.(1986b). Dravidian Settlements in Ancient Polynesia.

India Past and Present, 3 (2), 225-241.

__________. (1988). "Common African and Dravidian Place Name

Elements". South Asian Anthropologist, 9(1):33-36.

__________. (1989a). "Tamil, Sumerian, Manding and the Genetic

Model". International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics,18(1):98-127.

__________. (1989b). "Review of Dr. Asko Parpola's 'The Coming of the Aryans'",International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 18(2):98-127.

__________. (1990). "The Dravido-Harappan Colonization of Central Asia". Central Asiatic Journal, 34(1/2):120-144.

___________. (1991). "The Proto-Sahara". The Dravidian Encyclopaedia, (Trivandrum: International School of Dravidian Linguistics) pp.553-556. Volume l.

----------.(1994). Afrocentrism: A valid frame of reference, Journal of Black Studies, 25 (2), 170-190.

_________.(1994b). The Dravidian and African laguages, International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 23 (1), 34-52.

________.2007. Afrocentrism Myth or Science.www.lulu.com Here

Woodson, C.G. & Wesley, C.H. (1972). The Negro in Our History. Washington, D.C. Associated Publisher.

Get up off your knees and learn from the Afro-American scholars who began the study of Blacks in ancient history.

In conclusion, Afrocentrism is a mature social science. A social science firmly rooted in the scholarship of Afro-American researchers lasting almost 200 years. Researchers like Marc Washington, Mike and I are continuing a tradition of scholarship began 20 decades ago. All we are doing is confirming research by DuBois and others, that has not been disconfirmed over the past 200 years.

Aluta continua.....The struggle continues.....

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:

Like most african/negro researchers you talk only about haplogroups europeans have claimed belong to africans and negroes such as hg mtDNA L's, and y-chromosome E. It is you, that is influenced by Eurocentricity not me. I don't allow Europeans to decide for me what is African.

I do use Europeans research results but I always re-analyse them and analyse the DATA. I don't take them as truth just because they were written by Europeans. Same for Africans or any other people of course.

One of the main reason of many why I consider only Y-DNA haplogroup A, B and E and MtDNA L and possibly M1 to be African in origin and not other ones like Y-DNA R or MtDNA M and N haplogroup is because those haplogroups are rare in African people but widespread among Eurasian and non-African people.

So if Ancient Egyptians would be all R descendants or any F descendants Y-DNA haplogroups for example. It means they would carry haplogroups which are rare among African populations. So who do you working for? Those arabized moorish muslims? Those Eurasians? Clearly if Ancient Egyptians are E-P2s, A and B carriers, for example, its' not the case. E-P2, as well as A and B haplogroups are widespread among modern African people.

Clearly my point of view is less Eurocentric than yours.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Cylde please no huge posts off topic thanks, we know you are top eschelon afrocentric. Amun Ra this aint no DNA thread. It would be like me putting up Herodotus quotes on your Hg E thread
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I do use Europeans research results but I always re-analyse them and analyse the DATA. I don't take them as truth just because they were written by Europeans. Same for Africans or any other people of course.

One of the main reason of many why I consider only Y-DNA haplogroup A, B and E and MtDNA L and possibly M1 to be African in origin and not other ones like Y-DNA R or MtDNA M and N haplogroup is because those haplogroups are rare in African people but widespread among Eurasian and non-African people.

So if Ancient Egyptians would be all R descendants or any F descendants Y-DNA haplogroups for example. It means they would carry haplogroups which are rare among African populations. So who do you working for? Those arabized moorish muslims? Those Eurasians? Clearly if Ancient Egyptians are E-P2s, A and B carriers, for example, its' not the case. E-P2, as well as A and B haplogroups are widespread among modern African people.

Clearly my point of view is less Eurocentric than yours.

LOL.You prove my point, you parrot what you have been taught. Conduct your own original research then you may know the truth.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Many Eastern Ethiopians had sister names to African groups.The language of the Medes, like Elamite is genetically related to the Manding languages. In addition the term Mandaga agrees with the title of the Manding tribes: for example, Manda agrees with Mande, the name of major group of Africans, who along with the Dravidians settled many parts of Asia.

Further confirmation of the Mande origin of the Medes is haplogroup E3b. It is interesting to note that E3b is found in this area. The Manding speakers carry the E3b haplogroup.

-

William Leo Hansberry gives a great discussion of the evidence of African Kushites ruling in Asia and Africa. Some ancient scholars noted that the first rulers of Elam were of Kushite ( Kerma ? ) origin.

Founder of Elamite civilization came from Kush in Africa. According to Strabo, the first Elamite colony at Susa was founded by Tithnus, a King of Kush. Strabo in Book 15, Chapter 3728 wrote that in fact it is claimed that Susa was founded by Tithonus Memnon's father, and his citadel bore the name Memnonium. The Susians are also called Cissians. Aeschylus, calls Memnon's mother Cissia.

-

Here is King Xerxes and other Persian Brothers .

William Leo Hansberry, African History Notebook, (1981) Volume 2 noted that:

In Persia the old Negroid element seems indeed to have been sufficiently powerful to maintain the overlord of the land. For the Negritic strain is clearly evident in statuary depicting members of the royal family ruling in the second millenium B.C.

Hundreds of years later, when Xerxes invaded Greece, the type was well represented in the Persian army. In the remote mountain regions bordering on Persia and Baluchistan, there is to be found at the present time a Negroid element which bears a remarkable resemblance to the type represented on the ancient mounments. Hence the Negritic or Ethiopian type has proved persistent in this area, and in ancient times it seems to have constituted numerically and socially an important factor in the population" (p.52) .

. Here is Cyrus

-

-

-

-

-

-

Check out my video on the Asian Kushites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-2xjWIIxK8

Enjoy

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Nebsen
Member # 13728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebsen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching the film" Alexander" the other day, with a friend. Alexander & his army were marching trying to cross over into" India", but, they had to cross the" Hindu Kush" region , could some one please explain this term & how it might have been used doing this time of Alexander & is it still used ?
Posts: 135 | From: Bay Area | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-

-
 -
 -
 -

so these are Indo Aryans?

Herodotus

70. .... the Ethiopians from the East are straight-haired,

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nebsen:
Watching the film" Alexander" the other day, with a friend. Alexander & his army were marching trying to cross over into" India", but, they had to cross the" Hindu Kush" region , could some one please explain this term & how it might have been used doing this time of Alexander & is it still used ?

I have it means Hindu Killer.
try a gooogle search

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clyde great follow up. All I can say is impressive.

What I hope is that you and Amun can start another thread and post more. Learning is Fun.

BUT

This is Lioness thread and she asked you to stop posting off topic. Please support our sister.

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of My Friends Lioness gave me this book to read hope you like it:

Wonderful Ethiopians of the Ancient Cushite Empire

-

-

-

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Thanks KING

Here is the quote again followed by Wallace Budge commentary

The History of Herodotus, parallel English/Greek, tr. G. C. Macaulay, [1890], at sacred-texts.com

70. Of the Ethiopians above Egypt and of the Arabians the commander, I say, was Arsames; but the Ethiopians from the direction of the sunrising (for the Ethiopians were in two bodies) had been appointed to serve with the Indians, being in no way different from the other Ethiopians, but in their language and in the nature of their hair only; for the Ethiopians from the East are straight-haired, but those of Libya have hair more thick and woolly than that of any other men. These Ethiopians from Asia were armed for the most part like the Indians, but they had upon their heads the skin of a horse's forehead flayed off with the ears and the mane, and the mane served instead of a crest, while they had the ears of the horse set up straight and stiff: and instead of shields they used to make defences to hold before themselves of the skins of cranes

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/hh/hh7070.htm

http://archive.org/stream/egyptiansdnitsh03budggoog/egyptiansdnitsh03budggoog_djvu.txt

THE EGYPTIAN SUDAN

ITS HISTORY AND MONUMENTS
E. A. WALLIS BUDGE,

p106-108

The information which the Ichthyophagi brought back to
Cambyses has already been described (see above, p. 90), and we
may pass on therefore to the statement of Herodotus (ii. 104)
about circumcision. He says that the Colchians, Egyptians,
and *' Ethiopians " are the only nations who have practised
circumcision from the earliest times, but he could .not make
out whether the ** Ethiopians " learned the practice from the
Egyptians, or the Egyptians from the ** Ethiopians." In any
case, he says, it is undoubtedly of very ancient date in

(HERODOTUS ON THE SUDAN )

Ethiopia." As to the clothing of the ** Ethiopians " he says
(vii. 69) that they wore skins of leopards and lions, and that they
were armed with palm-stem bows, four cubits long ; the arrows
were short and tipped, not with iron, but with a stone. Their
spears were tipped with the horns of antelopes, and tliey had
knotted clubs. When they went into battle they painted their
bodies half with chalk and half with vermilion. The monuments
prove the truth of all these statements except the last, and if we
had reliefs with coloured battle scenes upon them, we should
probably find it to be true also. Herodotus divided (vii. 70) the
** Ethiopians'* into two classes, *' Eastern," and '' Western,'* the
languages and hair of each being different ; the former had
straight hair, and the latter woolly hair.

From this we see that Herodotus calls the negro tribes to the
west of the White Nile "Western Ethiopians," and the light or
red-skinned tribes of the Eastern Desert and Blue Nile ** Eastern
Ethiopians."
He adds the interesting information that the
*' Eastern Ethiopians " wore upon their heads the scalps of horses,
with the ears and mane attached ; the ears were made to stand
upright, and the mane served as a crest. For shields this people
made use of the skins of cranes. Finally, he says (iii. 114),
where the south declines towards the setting sun, lies the country
called Ethiopia, the last inhabited land in that direction. There
gold is obtained in great plenty, huge elephants abound, and wild
trees of all sorts, and -ebony; and the men are taller, handsomer,and longer-lived than anywhere else. Herodotus here un-
doubtedly refers to the countries on the Blue Nile, and his
information as to their products is correct.

shields they used to make defences to hold before themselves of the skins of cranes

I may have to update again.
Herodotus:
"These Ethiopians from Asia"
^^^ could they be Asiatics living in North Africa? Tehenu perhaps?

However check this out (although a key citation missing)

wikipedia:

Kassites

The Kassites were an ancient Near Eastern people who controlled Babylonia after the fall of the Old Babylonian Empire ca. 1531 BC and until ca. 1155 BC , The horse, which the Kassites worshipped, first came into use in Babylonia at this time. The Kassite language has not been classified

Herodotus and other ancient Greek writers sometimes referred to the region around Susa as "Cissia", a variant of the Kassite name. However, it is not clear if Kassites were actually living in that region so late.

Herodotus was almost certainly[citation needed] referring to Kassites when he described "Asiatic Ethiopians" in the Persian army that invaded Greece in 492 BC. Herodotus was presumably[citation needed] repeating an account that had used the name "Cush", or something similar, to describe the Kassites; the similar name "Kush" was also, purely by coincidence, a name for Ethiopia. A similar confusion of Kassites with Ethiopians is evident in various ancient Greek accounts of the Trojan war hero Memnon, who was sometimes described as a "Cissian" and founder of Susa, and other times as Ethiopian. According to Herodotus, the "Asiatic Ethiopians" lived not in Cissia, but to the north, bordering on "Paricanians" who in turn bordered on the Medes. The Kassites were not geographically linked to Kushites and Ethiopians, nor is there any documentation describing them as similar in appearance, and the Kassite language is regarded as a language isolate, utterly unrelated to any language of Ethiopia or Kush/Nubia,[8] although more recently a possible relationship to the Hurro-Urartian family of Asia Minor has been proposed.[9] However, the evidence for its genetic affiliation is meager due to the scarcity of extant texts.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
The Turks only recently entered the region. Central Asia was called Kushiya in ancient times not Turkstan. According to Col. Rawlinson Iran was called Kushiya or Kushiva in the cuneiform literature. Thus the Eastern Ethiopians were called Kushiya and Puntiya.

The Kassites spoke a Dravidian language.When the Kassites, ruled Iran it was called Kashshu, and the ruling people called themselves Kassites.

The fact that the Kassites called their country Kashshu, make it clear that they were geographically linked to the Kushites and Ethiopians since the area was called Kushiya in cuneiform text according to Rawlinson.

Anatolia was also called Kush. The people ruling the area before the coming of the Hittites were the Kaska and Hattian people.The gods of the Hattic people were Kashu and Kusuh.

The major rulers of Central Asia were the Kushan> Kus> people. The Kushana were also d Tokarian. This is the Hindu name for the Kushan people. We refer to these people as Kushana. The Kushan ruled Turkestan until the8th Century, when the Uighurs invaded the area.The Uighurs destroyed the Kucha and Karasahr empires.

The homeland of the Altaic speakers, especially the Turkic people was central and Western Mongolia. The dispersal of the Turkic speakers began during the 6th and 7th centuries of our era. They did not enter Central Asia until the 8th century A.D. The presence of Dravidian loan words in the Altaic group suggest that although the Greeks dominated Bactria for generations, remnants of the ancient widespread distribution of Dravidian settlements in central Asia existed up until the Turks arrived in the region .

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Using boats the Eastern Ethiopians/Kushites moved down ancient waterways many now dried up, to establish new towns in Asia and Europe after 3500 BC. The Eastern and Western Kushites remained supreme around the world until 1400-1200 BC. During this period the Hua (Chinese) and Indo-European (I-E) speakers began to conquer the Kushites whose cities and economies were destroyed as a result of natural catastrophes which took place on the planet between 1400-1200 BC. Later, after 500 AD, Turkish speaking people began to settle parts of Central Asia. This is the reason behind the presence of the K-s-h element in many place names in Asia e.g., Kashgar, HinduKush, and Kosh. The HinduKush in Harappan times had lapis lazuli deposits.

Kushites expanded into Inner Asia from two primary points of dispersal : Iran and Anatolia. In Anatolia the Kushites were called Hattians and Kaska. In the 2nd millennium BC, the north and east of Anatolia was inhabited by non-I-E speakers.

Anatolia was divided into two lands “the land of Kanis” and the “land of Hatti”. The Hatti were related to the Kaska people who lived in the Pontic mountains.

Hattians lived in Anatolia. They worshipped Kasku and Kusuh. They were especially prominent in the Pontic mountains. Their sister nation in the Halys Basin were the Kaska tribes. The Kaska and Hattians share the same names for gods, along with personal and place-names . The Kaska had a strong empire which was never defeated by the Hittites.

Singer (1981) has suggested that the Kaska, are remnants of the indigenous Hattian population which was forced northward by the Hittites. But at least as late as 1800 BC, Anatolia was basically settled by Hattians.

Anatolia was occupied by many Kushite groups,including the Kashkas and or Hatti. The Hatti , like the Dravidian speaking people were probably related .

Some of the Tehenu or Kushites settled Anatolia. Some of the major Anatolian Kushite tribes were the Kaska and Hatti speakers who spoke non-IE languages called Khattili. The gods of the Hattic people were Kasku and Kusuh (< Kush).

The Hattic people, may be related to the[b] Hatiu, one of the Delta Tehenu tribes. Many archaeologist believe that the Tehenu people were related to the C-Group people. The Hattic language is closely related to African and Dravidian languages for example:
  • •English ……Hattic …..Egyptian…….. Malinke (Mande language)

powerful ……ur………. wr'great,big' ………fara

protect…….. $uh……… swh …………………solo-

head …………tup ………tp ……………tu 'strike the head'

up,upper….. tufa ………..tp……………… dya, tu 'raising ground'

to stretch put… pd ………pe,……………….. bamba

o prosper …….falfat …..-- …………………..find'ya

pour ……………duq …….---………………….. du 'to dispense'

child …………..pin………,pinu………………… den

Mother ………..na-a ………--…………………….. na

lord …………….sa ………..--………………………. sa

place ………….-ka………… -ka
The languages have similar syntax Hattic le fil 'his house'; Mande a falu 'his father's house'. This suggest that the first Anatolians were Kushites, a view supported by the Hattic name for themselves: Kashka.

•Hurrians

An important group in Anantolia in addition to the Hatti, were the Hurrians. The Hurrians enter Mesopotamia from the northeastern hilly area . They introduced horse-drawn war chariots to Mesopotamia .

Hurrians penetrate Mesopotamia and Syria-Palestine between 1700-1500 BC. The major Hurrian Kingdom was Mitanni , which was founded by Sudarna I (c.1550), was established at Washukanni on the Khabur River . The Hurrian capital was Urkesh, one of its earliest kings was called Tupkish.

Linguistic and historical evidence support the view that Dravidians influenced Mittanni and Lycia . (Winters 1989a) Alain Anselin is sure that Dravidian speaking peoples once inhabited the Aegean . For example Anselin (1982, pp.111-114) has discussed many Dravidian place names found in the Aegean Sea area.

Two major groups in ancient Anatolia were the Hurrians and Lycians. Although the Hurrians are considered to be Indo-European speakers, some Hurrians probably spoke a Dravidian language.

The Hurrians lived in Mittanni. Mittanni was situated on the great bend of the Upper Euphrates river. Hurrian was spoken in eastern Anatolia and North Syria .

Most of what we know about Hurrian comes from the Tel al-Armarna letters. These letters were written to the Egyptian pharaoh. These letters are important because they were written in a language different from diplomatic Babylonian.

The letters written in the unknown language were numbered 22 and 25. In 1909 Bork, in Mitteilungen der Vorderasiatische Gesellschaft, wrote a translation of the letters.

In 1930, G.W. Brown proposed that the words in letters 22 and 25 were Dravidian especially Tamil. Brown (1930), has shown that the vowels and consonants of Hurrian and Dravidian are analogous. In support of this theory Brown (1930) noted the following similarities between Dravidian and Hurrian: 1) presence of a fullness of forms employed by both languages; 2) presence of active and passive verbal forms are not distinguished; 3) presence of verbal forms that are formed by particles; 4) presence of true relative pronouns is not found in these languages; 5) both languages employ negative verbal forms; 6) identical use of -m, as nominative; 7) similar pronouns; and 8) similar ending formations:

• Dravidian Hurrian

a a

-kku -ikka

imbu impu

There are analogous Dravidian and Hurrian terms:

English Hurrian Dravidian

mountain paba parampu

lady,woman aallay ali

King Sarr,zarr Ca, cira

god en en

give tan tara

to rule irn ire

father attai attan

wife,woman asti atti

Many researchers have noted the presence of many Indo-Aryan words. In Hurrians. This has led some researchers to conclude that Indo –Europeans may have ruled the Hurrians. This results from the fact that the names of the Hurrian gods are similar to the Aryan gods:

• Hurrian Sanskrit

Mi-it-va Mitra

Aru-na Varuna

In-da-ra Indra

Na-sa-at-tiya Nasatya

There are other Hurrian and Sanskrit terms that appear to show a relationship:

• English Hurrian Sanskrit Tamil

One aika eka okka ‘together’

Three tera tri

Five panza panca ańcu

Seven satta sapta

Nine na nava onpatu

Other Hurrian terms relate to Indo-Aryan:

English Hurrian I-A Tamil

Brown babru babhru pukar

Grey parita palita paraitu ‘old’

Reddish pinkara pingala puuval

English Mitanni Vedic Tamil

Warrior marya marya makan, maravan

References:

Itamar Singer, Hittites and Hattians in Anatolia at the beginning of the Second Millennium B.C., Journal of Indo-European Studies, 9 (1-2) (1981), pp.119-149.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Hurrians is closely related to the Dravidian group of languages.

An important group in Anantolia in addition to the Hatti, were the Hurrians. The Hurrians enter Mesopotamia from the northeastern hilly area . They introduced horse-drawn war chariots to Mesopotamia .

Hurrians penetrate Mesopotamia and Syria-Palestine between 1700-1500 BC. The major Hurrian Kingdom was Mitanni, which was founded by
Sudarna I (c.1550), was established at Washukanni on the Khabur River. The Hurrian capital was Urkesh, one of its earliest kings was called Tupkish.

Linguistic and historical evidence support the view that Dravidians influenced Mittanni and Lycia.

Most of what we know about Hurrian comes from theTel al-Armarna letters. These letters were written to the Egyptian pharaoh. These letters are important because they were written in a language different from diplomatic Babylonian.

The letters written in the unknown language werenumbered 22 and 25.In 1909 Bork, in Mitteilungen der Vorderasiatische Gesellschaft, wrote a translation of the letters.

In 1930, G.W. Brown proposed that the words inletters 22 and 25 were Dravidian especially Tamil. Brown (1930),has shown that the vowels and consonants of Hurrian and Dravidian are analogous. In support of this theory Brown (1930) noted the following similarities between Dravidian and Hurrian: 1)presence of a fullness of forms employed by both languages; 2) presence of active and passive verbal forms are notdistinguished; 3) presence of verbal forms that are formed by particles; 4) presence of true relative pronouns is not found in these languages; 5) both languages employ negative verbal forms; 6) identical use of -m, as nominative; 7) similar pronouns; and 8)similar ending formations.

The linguistic evidence discussed above isconsistent with the view that the only Indian elements in Anatolian culture were of Dravidian ,rather than Indo-Aryan origin. This evidence from Mittanni adds further confirmation to the findings of N. Lahovary in Dravidian Origins and the West, that prove the earlier presence of Dravidian speakers in Anatolia.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
 -

You can find out more about the Eastern Ethiopians in my book The Ancient Black Civilizations of Asia

[Kindle Edition] http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CNXRFBE

[Hardcopy] CreateSpace eStore: https://www.createspace.com/4261215

-

I also discuss this population in my book Ancient History of Tamils in Central Asia

Order Createspace eStore: https://www.createspace.com/4587837

--------------------
C. A. Winters

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
In the time of Alexander the Great, the Hindu Kush range was referred to as the Caucasus Indicus or the "Indian Caucasus"
The name Hindu Kush first appears in 1333 AD in the writings of Ibn Battutah

-

The people of the Hindu Kush region today have straight hair

If you were to theorize that there was an earlier point in time they had afro hair like some Ethiopians there is no way to tell when it was

Much further South the Tamils also have straight hair

-
 -

Clyde, they have very straight hair so in that regard they are different from many of the Ethiopians with afro hair.
Why?

It probably takes time in tens of thousands of years for one type of hair to transition to extreme other type

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
^^^This is a good question but the answer can be elusive. That's like asking why are some birds red others are grey. Or why do some dogs have hair and other dogs have fur.

Plus there is no single type of hair in Africa.

-  -  -

Enviromental factors have also played a role in the development of an African/Black Variety. For example , the narrow slanted eyes of most Blacks living in the Sahel, South India and Northeast and West Africa such as the Dravidians, some Egyptians, Nubians, Fulani and Ethiopians, are probably adaptations of Blacks during the previous Ice Age, when much of the area around Lake Chad is suppose to have been a glacial area.
 -

Many scholars believe that the melting of these glaciers may have been the cause for the appearence of numerous Lakes, rivers and streams in the Sahara. The narrow slanted eyes of Blacks here in the United States and Western Africa result from the descent from African people who formed an extra layer of fat to keep out the cold of the Ice Age. This cold and ice had little effect on the skin color/pigmentation of the African.

-  -  -

The straight hair hair of groups such as the Australians, East indians (Dravidians)and Somalis probably originated in Africa.

The ancestors of these groups probably lived in periglacial regions of Africa where straight hair probably was an adaptation of some local populations.
 -

The Dravidians for example were part of the Maa Confederation and lived in the highland areas of Middle Africa like the Hoggar and Tibesti, until after the great flood when they migrated out of the highlands into the valley regions, and thence to Asia, where along with the Mande speakers the Dravidians expanded into Iran, India and eventually China.

In summary the straight hair of Africans, and Eastern Ethiopians probably relates to living in the periglacial regions of Africa before the great glaciers melted completely.

Further Reading;

http://books.google.com/books?id=wBXdka5y9KwC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=glaciers+tibesti+mountains&source=bl&ots=VWJdFO82ZH&sig=_NmqFPtXjgo0xetJCtNt_9wqIXo&hl=en&ei=nAISTb7qFc2-nAecsPT ODg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=glaciers&f=false

http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1386g/africa.pdf

'

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Clyde, there is also the LGM which happened after people left Africa. This could have caused people who left Africa who had afro hair to acquire straight hair.

We also see that the HIndu Kush has cold winters. This region is much closer to Africa than is South Asia and Australia.

People could have acquired straight hair there add to that the LGM and then became dark again, which happens more quickly as they then went South again and wound up in South Asia and Oceana

With this in mind when you say
"The straight hair hair of groups such as the Australians and East indians (Dravidians) probably originated in Africa."
you might not be correct.
If you were correct there should be larger populations of people including male adults with bone straight hair like East Asians and some Tamil have. There should be a whole tribe of people with hair like this.
Instead in Africa there are people with bushy stiff or curly hair and they are spinkled in very lightly mainly in coastal countires with an old history of maritime trade

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
Clyde, there is also the LGM which happened after people left Africa. This could have caused people who left Africa who had afro hair to acquire straight hair.

We also see that the HIndu Kush has cold winters. This region is much closer to Africa than is South Asia and Australia.

People could have acquired straight hair there add to that the LGM and then became dark again, which happens more quickly as they then went South again and wound up in South Asia and Oceana

"The straight hair hair of groups such as the Australians and East indians (Dravidians) probably originated in Africa."
If you were correct there should be larger populations of people including male adults with bone straight hair like East Asians and some Tamil have. There should be a whole tribe of people with hair like this.
Instead in Africa there are people with bushy stiff or curly hair and they are spinkled in very lightly mainly in coastal countires with an old history of maritime trade

LOL.There are entire tribes with straight hair. The Fulani and other groups don't live along the coast.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
LOL, Fulanis have a high percentage of paternal Eurasian lineage.
Also their hair cannot be decribed as the same as Indian hair or lank and some of it is combed out anyway.

For arguments sake let's say Fulanis are a strongly indigneous to Africa tribe of straight haired Africans. (evem though they will claim they have some Arabian ancestry)

There are cold conditions outside of Africa.
That means that of some straight haired Africans left Africa there could also be afro haired Africans whose hair became straight after leaving Africa. Dana Marniche believes that straight hair evolved out of Africa

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

More continuous nonsense.

You still fail to scientifically describe the transition from "stereotype" kinky African hair to "bone straight". Just like you do when it comes to facial traits.

Africa has many climatic zones and terrains effecting populations over the thousands of years, yet in your low IQ delusional mind the all should has stayed stagnant.

By the way, about which Fula do you speak, "expert"? Explain how "Arabs became in their appearances"? Did their traits popup all of a sudden? lol

You are so ridiculous you will post Europeans with tick Afro type hair then claim it's indigenous to Europeans. lol

-

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Trollkillah # Ish Gebor:

Africa has many climatic zones and terrains effecting populations over the thousands of years, yet in your low IQ delusional mind the all should has stayed stagnant.

By the way, about which Fula do you speak, "expert"? [/QB]

To say that no phenotypes evolved outside of Africa is wrong

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

By the way, about which Fula do you speak, "expert"?

To say that no phenotypes evolved outside of Africa is wrong

- [/QB]

[Roll Eyes]

Is that your explanation and "scientifical contribution? [Big Grin]

-

quote:

HERODOTUS - BIOGRAPHY

Herodotus (484 BCE – c. 425 BCE) was a Greek Historian as well as known as the Father of Lies. These two titles were commonly held hand in hand as the early recorders of history were attempting to record an objective recounting of events while taking their stories from first-hand, second-hand, third-hand, etc accounts instead of recording a direct experience. Also entwined in the pejorative label of “Father of Lies” is that Herodotus was susceptible to subjective inclusion or exclusion of histories based on his personal involvement with peoples. Thebans and Corinthians who both denied him funds for his work subsequently suffered not the prettiest of pictures when recounted in Herodotus' work. Athenians gave him a fortune, thus perhaps securing a favorable telling of their exploits. Regardless, Herodotus was one of the first writers to bring together historical accounts (whether tweaked by the tellers or himself or not) and the only one to have survived in the form of The Histories. Therefore, the moniker of Father of History sticks.

[...]

Herodotus would also talk to many people and would recount the different accounts before choosing to promote the one that he found most probable. This is probably what garnered him the moniker of Father of Lies for within his history exist some pretty tall tales.

[...]

It is speculated that The Histories must have been around 415 BCE. Before that, Herodotus's craft would have looked very much like Homer's. The culture around the Mediterranean was oral and not written and just as Herodotus gained his knowledge from oral storytelling, he passed on much of it in this way as well.

--European Graduate School
http://www.egs.edu/library/herodotus/biography/

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

stop being an idoit that is frizzy hair not like Indians hair
and where's the lank limp hair?

Also show a group of adult males with straight Indian type hair in Africa

I'm giving the whole of Africa to work with

And are you aware that Egypt had a heavy influx of Arabs? keep that in mind.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
 -

stop being an idoit that is frizzy hair not like Indians hair
and where's the lank limp hair?

Also show a group of adult males with straight Indian type hair in Africa

I'm giving the whole of Africa to work with

And are you aware that Egypt had a heavy influx of Arabs? keep that in mind.

Stop posting B.S. And acting as if you have any expertise on African ethnographic.

I have been to Egypt, you have not, so stop posting trash. You shyt for brains. Or any other African state for that matter.

As I stated before, how did Arabs get to their traits, without having trans ion of Africans with thick busy hair?

How did that happen? Did it appear out of nothing?

The ridiculousness is that the same time you'll claim that no African has ever set foot on Arabian soil. (Except for as a slave). Keep exposing yourself.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

[...]

It is speculated that The Histories must have been around 415 BCE. Before that, Herodotus's craft would have looked very much like Homer's. The culture around the Mediterranean was oral and not written and just as Herodotus gained his knowledge from oral storytelling, he passed on much of it in this way as well.

and why do you have this bolded? what is your point?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

[...]

and why do you have this bolded? what is your point?
Do you have a problem with it?

“Father of Lies”!

Whaaaa,

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

As I stated before, how did Arabs get to their traits, without having trans ion of Africans with thick busy hair?

the earliest civilization on the Arabian penninsula was the Ubaid which originated in Iraq and later spread into the east coast of Arabia. Iraq.

That culture is at a latitude parallel to Afrghanistan and Pakistan

That is where the straight hair develops

straight hair, not this frizzy hair, same look black chicks with afros can do their hair into various ways

-
see this man nobody would confuse him with an African

Dana Marniche believe that straight hair is a cold adapted trait evolved from outside of Africa so you can;t call such a point of view Eurocentric.

What was Diop's point of view on it? I'm not sure

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

the earliest civilization on the Arabian penninsula was the Ubaid which originated in Iraq and later spread into the east coast of Arabia. Iraq.

That culture is at a latitude parallel to Afrghanistan and Pakistan

That is where the straight hair develops

I am nothing about the earliest civilization in Arabia.

I am speaking of how you get from "stereotype" African kinky hair to "stereotype bone straight hair" without having busy hair somewhere in the middle. How is that possible?

And give straight answers, not weird insinuations.

How come not everyone below the latitude parallel to Afrghanistan and Pakistan, has this kinky hair? As you imply?

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

I am speaking of how you get from "stereotype" African kinky hair to "stereotype bone straight hair" without having busy hair somewhere in the middle. How is that possible?

curly haired semites maybe at a Levantine position
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

curly haired semites
Blah blah blah. [Big Grin]

I am asking for you to explain scientifically how it's possible that you can go from "stereotype African kinky hair" or pepper corn as you like to call it, how do you go from that to straight hair without having a transition hair texture, such as the busy type?

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

curly haired semites

I am asking for you to explain scientifically how it's possible that you can go from "stereotype African kinky hair" or pepper corn as you like to call it, how do you go from that to straight hair without having a transition hair texture, such as the busy type?

You are very repetative. I answer your questions and you don't like the answer and then claim I didn't answer it.

The transition between bone straight lank hair and tightly coiled afro kinky hair is looser larger curled hair.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

curly haired semites

You are very repetative. I answer your questions and you don't like the answer and then claim I didn't answer it.

The transition between bone straight lank hair and tightly coiled afro kinky hair is looser larger curled hair.

I am repetitive, since you are doing to same. However, you don't have and can't answer respectively the addressed questions.

Main difference is, you have a problem with others doing it. While all you do is, iterate without proof.

So you'll even claim you've answered my question , when you DID NOT.

I have asked for you to scientifically explain how one can go from "stereotype African kinky hair to stereotype bone straight hair, without having busy hair somewhere in the middle. Since you claim this is not in African situ development.

This was explained nowhere. Not even remotely. Not one time, ever.

What you did was, telling that between bone straight hair and kinky there is a looser type of hair texture, that's not a scientific explanation. That is the explanation of a 5 years old kid. In other words a baseless rant. (This tells a lot of about your intellect). All you do is tossing up shyt.

quote:
Herodotus' dual identity, father of history and father of lies, has a long tradition starting with Cicero.1 Pritchett's monograph aims to critique the recent work of scholars, the "liar school," who support the thesis that "Herodotos was consciously fictionalizing" (9) but is primarily a refutational commentary on the work of Detlev Fehling.
http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/1994/94.04.10.html
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com