EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The African Great Lakes Kingdoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The African Great Lakes Kingdoms
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PreColonialAfrica13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of bunyoro and buganda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um8hzD-UhzE

Anyone watch this video? It's fantastic, the bbc lost kingdoms of africa series. It taught me a lot about a little known region of Africa, they apparently traded with the east primarily in salt, had a well-organized army and navy, lived in populous and fortified towns and even knew how to perform caesarians. Are there any good books or websites on the great lake kingdoms?

Posts: 74 | From: Kanata | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the series right here at home.

It's one of the best series put together.

They need to do a sequel.

Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PreColonialAfrica13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, What kingdoms could they shed light on? Kanem bornu? Dahomey? I would love to see one on Somalia, it really gets no love in African history, perhaps when it is more stable. Wouldn't mind seeing a series on Christian and Islamic Nubia as well, although they did cover ancient nubia. I really didn't like that they lumped most of west Africa all in one episode, would like to see separate episodes on the forest kingdoms of ife,oyo, benin,etc. Perhaps the hausa states as well. Ghana, mali and songhai all go without saying as well.
Posts: 74 | From: Kanata | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you got your account to work. Nice.
Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People interested in the subjects should read books too because you won't be able to get all the information into one video. If the book is not too general (like "The History of Africa"), it will usually go at much more depth than any video could ever go.
Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Actually I'm looking to buy quite a few books, I wanted to get the medieval kingdoms of nubia but apparently the author is really biased and nubia's christian heritage is not given enough credit as the author apparently feels uncomfortable with knowing that North Africa, Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia were the earliest Christian states. Takes it away from Europe I guess. Disappointing.

Also When we ruled by robin walker and the futuh al habesha, looking forward to picking those up.

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PreColonialAfrica13:
Actually I'm looking to buy quite a few books, I wanted to get the medieval kingdoms of nubia but apparently the author is really biased and nubia's christian heritage is not given enough credit as the author apparently feels uncomfortable with knowing that North Africa, Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia were the earliest Christian states. Takes it away from Europe I guess. Disappointing.

Also When we ruled by robin walker and the futuh al habesha, looking forward to picking those up.

Don't be so disappointed, I'm sure they make some pretty good books about Christianity in Nubia too. I also hate all those books talking about the History of Ancient Egypt when they don't mention the Muslim Conquest of Egypt. [Roll Eyes]

Your name is PreColonialAfrica13 but you're more interested into the history of the Christianity, Muslim conquests and the Islamic Jihad against Ethiopia (Futuh Al-Habasha). To the point of being disappointed. Make sense.

Failed

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
It has come to my attention that we focus too much on the history of Egypt before the Muslim conquest on this site. I'm very disappointed.

Here's a start:
Muslim conquest of Egypt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquest_of_Egypt

*end sarcasm*

[Big Grin]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stop causing trouble
Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Huh? I'm interested in pre-colonial african history. I don't understand what you're saying, I'm not just interested in Christian Nubia and Islam in Africa, I'm interested in Kanem-Bornu- The hausa states, the great lakes kingdoms, the shona kingdoms of southern africa, madasgcar, somalia, the swahili realm, benin, ife, oyo, dahomey, mali, morocco,etc.
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
quote:
Originally posted by PreColonialAfrica13:

Don't be so disappointed, I'm sure they make some pretty good books about Christianity in Nubia too. I also hate all those books talking about the History of Ancient Egypt when they don't mention the Muslim Conquest of Egypt. [Roll Eyes]

Your name is PreColonialAfrica13 but you're more interested into the history of the Christianity, Muslim conquests and the Islamic Jihad against Ethiopia (Futuh Al-Habasha). To the point of being disappointed. Make sense.

Failed

You're taking what he is saying out of context...

-__-

Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^He's been salty every since he got kicked out of
the Facebook group.

PreColonialAfrica13: great video. Thanks.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
^He has no reason to pick on my buddy PCA13. And isn't Christian Nubia "PRE-COLONIAL AFRICA" history?
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Ben claimed the Buganda kingdom was older than Kush or Kemet and was one of the oldest and most sophisticated kingdoms on the planet. Around 11:00 in the video he mentions the precursor the Buganda kingdom which Dr. Ben mentioned.

Very interesting indeed. Thank you for posting this.

Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PreColonialAfrica13
Member # 21589

Rate Member
Where can we learn more about the Great Lakes Kingdoms? There were quite a few and the region's geography is abosolutely stunning.

Hey Son of Ra, he seems to classify Christianity and Islam in Afirca as not being truly pre-colonial, which is just ridiculous, these two religions are part of Africa's history.

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr Yosef Ben Jochanan is a scholar from Ethiopia. Maybe he know Ethiopian oral history that is saying the Kingdom of Buganda was older then the Kingdom of Kush and Kemet.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com