EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » I need a glyph translated

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need a glyph translated
Nay Sayer
Member # 9886

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay Sayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone translate this for me?

-

Thanks

Posts: 13 | From: Chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
npt is a rare word.

In this instance some independent
non-Egyptian city or place Nepet
seems indicated.

Besides your query the only use
of Nepet I could find was the in
the title "Great One of Nepet."

I need the full context of your
glyph to know if the n is its own
word or the first letter of some
word or even a continuation from
previous text.

EDIT: Napata (a capital of Kush)

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what's up
Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nay Sayer
Member # 9886

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay Sayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
npt is a rare word.

seems indicated.

previous text.

I was engaged in a conversation about "Nubia" and the person I was conversing with insists that the Ancient Egyptians used the term "Nubian" to refer to Africans living to the South of their boarder. When I asked for evidence he provided the glyph I posted in the OP. That's all the context I can give you.
Posts: 13 | From: Chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ledama Kenya
Member # 21677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledama Kenya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nay Sayer: Can someone translate this for me?  - Thanks

It reads either
1)npt or nepet;if the direction of the glyphs is left to right and if the that last stroke bending to the left before the determinant is not a poor representation of the cobra glyph phonogram for 'J'. NPT here meaning name of a land or town.That determinant on the right end represents either land,mountain or city.But land is the best bet.
2)tpn or tepen.if the direction is right to left.if that stroke is not a glyph.but in this case it will lack meaning since the determinant will be useless.
3)jtpnif the direction of the glyphs is right to left and if the stroke before the determinant is a poor representation of the cobra glyph a uniliteral symbol and a phonogram for 'J'.here it would have no meaning since the determinant does not belong to the glyph.
4))nptjif the direction of the glyph is left to right.and if the stroke before the determinant is a poor representation of the phonogram 'j'.here the determinant indicates the meaning of the glyph as name of land/place,name of a town or name of a mountain.
TO PREVENT ALL THESE SPECULATIONS
1)Post the whole sentence to which these glyphs are derived.post the neighbouring glyphs so that we know the direction of the glyphs and if that determinant belongs to the glyphs.
2)Dont post glyphs that dont exist.that will bring confusion.
2)

Posts: 306 | From: Kenya | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nay Sayer:
I was engaged in a conversation about "Nubia" and the person I was conversing with insists that the Ancient Egyptians used the term "Nubian" to refer to Africans living to the South of their boarder.

This is IMPOSSIBLE.

Nubia was a never a term used by Ancient Egyptians (or Kushite people themselves) to refer to Kushite people or their territory. It never appeared in any Ancient Egyptian text as such.

Nubia is a term coined by egyptologists to describe Kushite people and territory, its precise usage varies from one book, from one source, to another.

More discussions about it here:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006080;p=1#000014

It's also discussed in this book:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008808;p=1

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nay Sayer
Member # 9886

Rate Member
Tukuler/Ledama/Amun-Ra,

Thank you all for your informed insight. I'm sure that I'll have more questions for you.

Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
npt is also a deity as well.

npt [[[Gottheit]]] [Meeks, AL 78.2075; Van der Molen, Dictionary of Coffin Texts, 220]

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, male or female.
I was following a
female lead. Any
ideas?

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by Nay Sayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
npt is a rare word.

seems indicated.

previous text.

I was engaged in a conversation about "Nubia" and the person I was conversing with insists that the Ancient Egyptians used the term "Nubian" to refer to Africans living to the South of their boarder. When I asked for evidence he provided the glyph I posted in the OP. That's all the context I can give you.

O I C

Probably meant Nehesi nHsj as in
this 13th dyn pharaoh's cartouche

-  -
Courtesy of Pharaoh.se (link)

a generic ethnonym AEs used
for people in the hills to
the east and people to the
south.

Ethiop
Member # 20120

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ethiop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hellos guys I great appreciate your understanding of the AE's language. I am here to ask a question. Were can I find Worter buch der agyptischen Spache p 492. Diop used this in reference to set kmt. Which set of books is this definition is in. Here is what I have. http://www.egyptology.ru/lang.htm#Woerterbuch
Thanks.

Posts: 48 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Thanks for posting that url.

Meanwhile an altakruri wörterbuch keyword
search using GOOGLE IMAGES might get you
what was posted here before.

Ethiop
Member # 20120

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ethiop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are welcome Tukuler. I did a altakruri wörterbuch keyword search and came up with nothing only wally reference to sa kmt. I have Van Sertima Egypt Revisted. Diop explain set kmt meaning black women. Source is Worter buch der Agyptischen Sprache p 492.
Posts: 48 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Mmmm. I see now the internal search
engine only returns >2013 & <2009
leaving it to other resources for
stuff between 2009 - 2013 (plus I
may've gave you the wrong keys).

The Diop reference to E&G vol5 p492
is about "red" savage animals Heru
dispatches like the hippo.

Diop sourced vol5 p123
st kmt for the black woman
st kmt dsrt for the "red-black" woman,
a translation he's not quite sure about.

-
CHEIKH ANTA DIOP

Parenté génétique de l'égyptien pharaonique et des langues négro-africaines

Dakar: IFAN-NEA, 1977

-------------------------------------------------

-

Hope these above give the precise help you needed.

Ethiop
Member # 20120

Rate Member
"The Diop reference to E&G vol5 p492
is about "red" savage animals Heru
dispatches like the hippo".

and

"Diop sourced vol5 p123
st kmt for the black woman
st kmt dsrt for the "red-black" woman,
a translation he's not quite sure about"

That's it. book V. I see now. Really it should be 123 not 492. That's why I was confuse. On the first page above, written in french and on p 123 below, there 2 glyph in front of the woman figure. Six glyphs in all. In Van Sertima book there are 4 glyphs. A woman, charcoal, loaf of bread(t) and the hair sign. Got it. By the way the first sign preceeding the woman a string on p 93 and p123 means what se? + Phono t mean set. If not please explain Thanks again.

Ethiop
Member # 20120

Rate Member
Hey Tukuler How are you. Did my own research. the first sign on p 123 and 83 is s  -
The next is t  -

st km.t a black women. I think I understand it now. Thanks

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Very good.

Yes E&G p123 entry IV
translates st kmt:jwn
as black 'wife' and notes
it was a Greco-Egyptian
designation for Isis.

Ethiop
Member # 20120

Rate Member
 -

Yes I forgot about the hair glyph D3. Det. for šny “hair,” iwn “complexion.

set km.t jwn (iwn) complexion. Got it Thanks again.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com