EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » When to use "black" and when not to... (Page 19)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  39  40  41   
Author Topic: When to use "black" and when not to...
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
We are beating a dead horse. SMH. I will sit on the sidelines until something gets my interest. I thought Sage had new information. Salom!.

^Running back then, and still running now. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet in 2014:
Ramses III's TribeScores relative to DNA Tribes'
Old World top 6 regional constructs:

Horn region - 0.93
Great Lakes region - 0.84
Tropical West African - 0.76
Levantine - 0.76
North African - 0.75
Southern African - 0.74

^Stop running Xyyman. You've been running for almost two years now on the TribeScore data. Address the issue.

Even as hybridized as DNA Tribes' pooled North Africa region is, Ramses III's genetics—as captured by his STR profile—fits equally well in the Levantine, North African, South African and West African regions.

The only region that towers above this with a wide margin is DNA Tribes Horn of Africa region (which includes more than just Ethiopia; I'm not talking about Ethiopians). If DNA Tribes North Africa region wasn't so mixed, you and I both know that the North Africa region would dwarf these the other regions as well, in terms of both MLI scores and TribeScores.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not how DNAtribes explained the
use of TribeScores. Let me repost them
without any spin.

Now we should not be chasing non-
replicable MLIs and TribeScores. The
pertinent thing is independently and
without a priori bias investigating
Tel Amarna STR profile haplogroups
revealed in the 8 loci of Hawass 2010
and recording their locus pair values
for present day geo-ethnic matches
of highest frequency regardless of
wwhat we wish to find and accept
those findings no matter how far
removed from expectations.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MLI scores are proprietary to DNAtribes.
Only they know how to compute them.
Others assuming to fudge around with
MLI scores are doing nothing more
than indulging speculations.

quote:
Q: What are MLI scores?

A: Each DNA Tribes Native and Global Population Match and World Region Match is listed with a Match Likelihood
Index (MLI) score that indicates your odds of belonging to that population relative to your odds of belonging to a
generic human population. For instance, a Native Population Match with Macedonia scored 45.2 indicates your
genetic ancestry is 45.2 times as likely in Macedonia as in the world.

Population and world region match results are provided in a ranked listing, from most likely to least likely. Top
ranked scores indicate your best population or regional matches in the DNA Tribes database. All matches can be
compared against each other as odds ratios. For instance, if you obtain a score of 25.0 for Bavarian and 5.0 for
Macedonian
, this means your genetic profile is 25.0/5.0 = 5.0 times as likely to be Bavarian as Macedonian.

Q: What are typical scores for my ethnic group? Are my scores very high or low?

A: Individuals within each population exhibit a characteristic range of world region scores. This range varies by
world region and ethnicity. For this reason, each MLI score in your population and world region rankings is
assigned a percentile-based TribeScore that expresses how your MLI score fits among members of that population
or region.

Q: What are TribeScores?

TribeScores are a unique scoring method developed by DNA Tribes that compares a person's match scores for a
population to the scores of actual members within that ethnic group or region. Each DNA Tribes match includes a
TribeScore in parentheses, listing your MLI score’s percentile in that population. TribeScores compares your MLI
scores to members of each ethnic group and world region. For instance, results listing “Switzerland (0.73)”
indicate that your MLI score is higher than 73% of scores from this Swiss reference population, and lower than 27%
of these Swiss individuals. TribeScores of (0.05) and above are within the expected range for a population, and
TribeScores between the (0.25) and above are ordinary or typical for members of that population. TribeScores
indicate how high or low your score is in the specific context of each population, providing the necessary point
of reference to explain each MLI score

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
may be someone can bump that thread...don't need to rehash same ole same ole

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Xyyman

Good. Go Google that thread. When you're ready to address the fact that the pharaonic STR profiles are a better fit among members of DNA Tribes' Sudan + Horn composite region (per DNA Tribes) than among members of other African DNA Tribes regions, get back to me.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

There's a reason to revisit things.

People don't reread 25 page threads
trying to filter the irrelevant stuff.

Best to do as the Lioness and open
up a new thread.

But I'm not putting out solo effort and
if we can't make a panel to look into
this then I'm not bothering because
it was already done 5 years ago.

Southern and Great Lakes Africa
have the greatest affiliatiosn by
far with the Amarna STRs that
are known geo-ethnic markers.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

There's a reason to revisit things.

People don't reread 25 page threads
trying to filter the irrelevant stuff.

Best to do as the Lioness and open
up a new thread.

But I'm not putting out solo effort and
if we can't make a panel to look into
this then I'm not bothering because
it was already done 5 years ago.

Southern and Great Lakes Africa
have the greatest affiliatiosn by
far with the Amarna STRs that
are known geo-ethnic markers.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@Xyyman

Just plugged this African American's STR profile into popaffiliator:

http://www.dnatribes.com/sample_africanamerican.php

This is the individual's STR profile (this STR set is fully compatible with popaffiliator's 34 input slots):

-

These are this individual's popaffiliator results:

(5 population predictions)
North Africa:
59.6%
Sub-Saharan Africa:
37.4%
Eurasia:
1.7%
Asia:
1%
Near East:
0.4%

(3 population predictions)
Sub-Saharan Africa:
91.8%
Eurasia:
4.1%
Asia:
4.1%

These are his regional MLI score results:

-

Again, the above individual is an African American who took DNA Tribes' STR test.

A literal interpretation of this individual's world region match MLI scores would lead to the conclusion that (s)he is most likely to be a West African with no outside influence. A literal interpretation of this individual's global population match scores would suggest that (s)he is more likely to be a mainland African than an African American.

Popaffiliator suggests that (s)he's not completely Sub-Saharan African in this 17 STR profile

This individual's TribeScores suggests that (s)he doesn't rank particularly high among individuals within the Tropical West African region where most African Americans come from. His/her best TribeScore is with the Sudan + Horn composite region (which is interesting because African American genomes do tend to cluster close to Maasai and other East African groups in PCA). In the global population match rankings you can clearly see that, while the MLI scores get it completely wrong, this African American has the best TribeScore with low MLI scoring Afro-Carribeans from the UK (0.77) and from the Bahamas (0.62).

From this individual's heritage (African American) we KNOW that (s)he's not as Sub-Saharan in this 17 STR profile as most West Africans.

Which result is closer to the mark? The world region and global population match MLI scores or the popaffiliator and TribeScore results?

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

The bizarre Eurocentric fictions.

Eurocentric explains what's black and what's not black. The boy is obsessed with terms like caucasoids and negroid.

http://youtu.be/CTok1IFPqnA

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post 
So For Peoples To Realize.

NO MATTER WHAT MIXTURE PEOPLE MIXED WITH, ALL OF THE MIXTURE MAKES BROWN.

BLACK COLOR, WHITE COLOR, RED COLOR, YELLOW COLOR, ORIGINAL COLORS, BROWN COLOR'S MIXTURE

Black Mixes With Red

Child Comes Out Red

THE CHILD RED OR BROWN

Child Comes out Black

THE CHILD BLACK OR BROWN

Meaning Yellow Mixes With White

Child Comes Out White

THE CHILD WHITE OR BROWN

Child Comes out Yellow

THE CHILD YELLOW OR BROWN

continued repost

Meaning Yellow Mixes With Red

Child Comes Out Yellow

Child Comes Out Red

THE CHILD RED OR BROWN

Black Mixes with White..

Child comes out White

THE CHILD WHITE OR BROWN

Child comes out Black

THE CHILD BLACK OR BROWN

Black mixes with Yellow..

Child comes out Yellow

Child comes out Black

THE CHILD BLACK OR BROWN

Black mixes with Red..

Child comes out Red

THE CHILD RED OR BROWN

Child Comes out Black

THE CHILD BLACK OR BROWN

etc for all Peoples Mixtures..

BROWN IS MIXTURE.

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Swenet, you lost the argument. Black has always been a reference to the skin color of Africans and other tropically adapted people around the planet, including by racists and other scholars over the last 400 years.

Doug, go peddle your BS elsewhere. You have no credibility when you say that you believe that 'black' refers to skin color only. Just a post ago you said this:

I am not peddling anything other than the fact that you keep pushing this thread to infinite numbers of pages trying avoid the point you have been shown to be wrong over and over again, going all the way back to the beginning where you claimed that Jahiz and the Greeks were not referring to skin color when they described Africans as black. And you are still trying to deny it even when your own references say so in black and white.

According to you:

Jahiz and the Greeks were referring to the cellular structure of African people when they called them blacks.

And later Medieval Europeans were referring to genetic structures when calling them black.

And even later racists were referring to hemoglobin levels when calling them black.

All of which is pure bull sh*t. You know it yet you are still trying to claim that black is and hasn't always been a reference to skin color.

quote:

And again, that one passage did not change the fact that Mr Baker later on said the AE were "Europids". You can't have it both ways.
--Doug M

Why are 'black skin' and "Europid race" mutually exclusive if 'black' only refers to skin color and "Europid" only to ancestry? One can't be 'black' in terms of skin pigmentation and "Europid" in ancestry in theory?

The point is Mr Baker called them Europids not Aethiopids. The two are not the same people and therefore to claim that one is the same as the other is simply you plainly putting words into Mr Bakers mouth. You have been doing this with every source you cite yet when they say something contradicting your point you avoid it. He also called them Tawny. So is tawny the same as black now? Nowhere is Mr Baker calling the AE black people. Yet you keep sitting here claiming that somehow in some way he is and he is not. Now you are going so far to reiterate this nonsense that Europids (whatever that is) means black too. Everything means black to you except the word black which makes your whole argument stupid.

quote:

You admit so here yourself, so why are you flip flopping?

No. I never called Europids "black people".

You are simply hilarious in your nonsense.

quote:

Black is a perfectly legitimate word to refer to skin color for populations who have tropically adapted skin color. And this has absolutely nothing to do with race because there are no human races
--Doug M

You're a flip flopper and you can't read. Even your own dictionary sites have entries that acknowledge that 'black' is ALSO applied racially.

I have been saying the same thing since page one and the point is YOU have not shown that black as used since ancient times is not a reference to skin color even when your own sources say so. It doesn't matter if Mr Baker used the word black, he wrote a book on race where the authors he cited who were also racists also used the word black plainly and unambiguously as a reference to skin color.

Yet you tell me I am flip flopping.

So whenever you learn how to accept English as what it is let me know, because right now your whole point is fighting the english language.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
And again, that one passage did not change the fact that Mr Baker later on said the AE were "Europids". You can't have it both ways.

Doug, stop flip flopping.

According to you there are:

'Black' skinned Pinoy (Filipino folk)
'Black' skinned Indonesians
'Black' skinned aboriginals from the Philippines and elsewhere in the Pacific
'Black' skinned Africans
'Black' skinned South Asians
'Black' skinned Native Americans

But somehow 'black' skinned "Europids" is an inherent contradiction? If you think it's a contradiction and you bar "Europids" from having 'black' skin, it's because you're racializing 'black' and because you have all sorts of sneaky rules, exceptions and racial politics considerations when it comes to discerning who has 'black' skin.

Flip flopper.

The only one stupid is you because you keep calling Europeans black, when last I checked Europeans are white. So again in your silly logic there is no skin color. Everybody is all the same. All those folks you listed all have the same skin color right?

Because you sound stupid.

The point is there are black populations all over the planet because of tropical adaptation.

You have not disproven this. You are simply talking stupidity.

Don't you know it was the Chinese and Europeans who called the Filippinos black?

Oh but that didn't mean skin color did it?

You are simply all over the place with your refusal to accept facts.

Skin color is a fact of human biology. Race is not.

You refuse to understand this.

Yet you claim to know something about biology.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sudaniya:
Doug should just admit that he uses 'black' in a racial sense instead of insisting that his definition is strictly contingent on the colour itself. I don't think that it's wrong to use 'black' in a racial sense.

Why don't you admit it? Because you are the only one who seems to be claiming this?

Black people are people with black skin. Just as white people are people with white skin.

Skin color is a fact of human nature.

There are people in as dark as the darkest African outside Africa. All of those people are black. There is nothing 'racial' about it. Skin color is not race because there are no human races.

So you are making a stupid point.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
See what I mean Sudaniya? This guy is not addressing any of your points. He's addressing his own figments and then projecting them onto you.

Doug, you're spinning out of control with your strawman attacks. Your posts have dwindled down to a messy heap of unintelligible crap. I would ask you to prove I said any of that, but I know from my past attempts to get you to prove your accusations that you will simply cop out.

Your attempts to describe people's views always come out botched and a funky mix of fact and fiction—usually more of the latter. You can't read, dude.

Look at how you're reaching trying to apply telepathy to what Sudaniya is saying. Lol.

Doug debates you with 5% of actual reading and 95% attempts at ESP. Here is an example of Doug applying ESP. He thinks he can bend reality to make it conform to his flip flops. That's why, when you call out his flip flops, he still thinks he's right.

quote:
The point is Mr Baker called them Europids not Aethiopids.

quote:
And he point blank says Aethiopids are a subrace of Europids....

quote:
What he actually says is that the AE were a branch of the Aethiopid RACE with Europid RACE mixture.

More of Doug's epic flip flops:

quote:
Race historically has always been based on skull measurements not skin color.

quote:
No it means skin color is the basis of race,

Doug debunked by his own dictionary pages as both of them say that 'black' has also been used to describe a perceived racial group, i.e. Sub-Saharan Africans and their descendants in the diaspora:

quote:
Black, designating Americans of African heritage, became the most widely used and accepted term in the 1960s and 1970s, replacing Negro. It is not usually capitalized: black Americans. Through the 1980s, the more formal African American replaced black in much usage, but both are now generally acceptable. Afro-American, first recorded in the 19th century and popular in the 1960s and 1970s, is now heard mostly in anthropological and cultural contexts.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/black

quote:
of or relating to the African-American people or their culture <black literature> <a black college> <black pride> <black studies> (3) : typical or representative of the most readily perceived characteristics of black culture <trying to sound black> <tried to play blacker jazz>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/black

^Doug's own sources don't even agree with his fabrication that 'black' only refers to dark skin pigmentation. Since the two dictionary entries he selectively posted out of these dictionary pages are the only 'sources' he has to peddle his BS claims, it's game over for him.

[Roll Eyes]

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
My interpretation is that DNA Tribes' observation that dynastic Egypt-related genetic material is found more in South Africa and Great Lakes obviously doesn't mean automatically that the ancestry component that is NATIVE to these regions has anything directly to do with Dynastic Egyptians. Let alone in a way that TRUMPS regions like ancient Lower Nubia and the Central Sahara.

quote:
Khoisan today may have substantial non-Khoisan genetic material (including from Afroasiatic speakers). Therefore, Khoisan groups may rank higher than expected in lists of MLI scores for Ethiopians for this reason. Obviously such rankings are suspect and don't automatically mean that the ancestry component that is native to Khoisan drives this high MLI score ranking.

quote:
What some here do is conveniently take the MLI scores of Sub-Saharan Africans with known Egyptian-like or at least Eastern Sahara genetic influences and who were mostly out of reach of recent Eurasian admixture and compare their MLI scores to the MLI scores of groups in North Africa and other regions that are hybridized today. SMH.

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
http://www.turkanabasin.org/2015/03/recentpast/

quote:
The culture during this time appeared to focus on lake based on numerous barbed bone harpoon points and aquatic bone remains (tortoise, crocodile, but predominantly fish). In addition, wavy-line pottery shards and Later Stone Age microliths have been uncovered. Furthermore, harpoon points and wavy-line pottery are quite similar to artifacts found in the Sahara and Sudan and indicate migration to and from the Turkana Basin.

As Beyoku pointed out, such finds of Saharan pottery near Lake Turkana are not new. Bone harpoons in and near Central Africa certainly aren't new either. Their significance here, at least to me, has to do with their early dates and the fact that the bone harpoons are said to be of the eastern Saharan variety in this case.

Quite relevant given Amun's wet dream that the Great Lakes MLI scores aren't at least partly due to migration and somehow necessarily reflect direct relationships that trump AE relationships to groups in DNA Tribes regions with a seemingly low MLI score.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I am seeing the in consistence. I thought his meaning of "black" was strictly USA based, but it seems to be all over the place.

Doug M is your view of black strictly "color" or phenotype based? I'm not trying to insult you.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:
Yeah I am seeing the in consistence. I thought his meaning of "black" was strictly USA based, but it seems to be all over the place.

Doug M is your view of black strictly "color" or phenotype based? I'm not trying to insult you.

Doug's view is that the predominant definition of black is based on skin color alone and he has stated that 534 times in this thread, you need to read it.
Doug's view is there are two types of people in the world "black" and "white", any person falls into one of these two categories.
Similarly Doug defines "white" strictly according to skin color and has stated there are white East Asians

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
See what I mean Sudaniya? This guy is not addressing any of your points. He's addressing his own figments and then projecting them onto you.

Doug, you're spinning out of control with your strawman attacks. Your posts have dwindled down to a messy heap of unintelligible crap. I would ask you to prove I said any of that, but I know from my past attempts to get you to prove your accusations that you will simply cop out.

Your attempts to describe people's views always come out botched and a funky mix of fact and fiction—usually more of the latter. You can't read, dude.

Look at how you're reaching trying to apply telepathy to what Sudaniya is saying. Lol.

Doug debates you with 5% of actual reading and 95% attempts at ESP. Here is an example of Doug applying ESP. He thinks he can bend reality to make it conform to his flip flops. That's why, when you call out his flip flops, he still thinks he's right.

quote:
The point is Mr Baker called them Europids not Aethiopids.

quote:
And he point blank says Aethiopids are a subrace of Europids....

quote:
What he actually says is that the AE were a branch of the Aethiopid RACE with Europid RACE mixture.

More of Doug's epic flip flops:

quote:
Race historically has always been based on skull measurements not skin color.

quote:
No it means skin color is the basis of race,

Doug debunked by his own dictionary pages as both of them say that 'black' has also been used to describe a perceived racial group, i.e. Sub-Saharan Africans and their descendants in the diaspora:

quote:
Black, designating Americans of African heritage, became the most widely used and accepted term in the 1960s and 1970s, replacing Negro. It is not usually capitalized: black Americans. Through the 1980s, the more formal African American replaced black in much usage, but both are now generally acceptable. Afro-American, first recorded in the 19th century and popular in the 1960s and 1970s, is now heard mostly in anthropological and cultural contexts.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/black

quote:
of or relating to the African-American people or their culture <black literature> <a black college> <black pride> <black studies> (3) : typical or representative of the most readily perceived characteristics of black culture <trying to sound black> <tried to play blacker jazz>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/black

^Doug's own sources don't even agree with his fabrication that 'black' only refers to dark skin pigmentation. Since the two dictionary entries he selectively posted out of these dictionary pages are the only 'sources' he has to peddle his BS claims, it's game over for him.

[Roll Eyes]

Swenet you aren't making any point and all you are doing is rehashing. You simply are not making any sense and you have not addressed anything said to you over the last 19 pages of this thread. Therefore, I will just repost what has previously been posted since you like rehashing just to show how you keep trying to beat a dead horse to prove you won something when you lost on page 1.

Every time I prove you wrong using your own citations and references you simply ignore it and keep on trolling with more nonsense...

So of course, nothing below was said by Mr Baker and according to you he is saying the AE were "black", some other kind of way.

No he wasn't. You are literally putting words into peoples mouths with this nonsense argument that you can reword or interpret the writings of racists and other scholars who reject the term black and somehow spin it to mean just the opposite of what it means: that the people were not black skinned.

You keep trying to claim that Mr Baker calls the AE brown skinned Aethiopids, but what he actually says is that they were tawny Europids.

That is the point. This is where you lost but you can continue to spin it and pretend that "even the racists agree" with the AE were "brown skinned" nonsense when your own references do not say this.

So give it up. You lost.

Liar.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet
Stop flip flopping. That lie went out the window when you refused to acknowledge Baker's statement that they had reddish brown SKIN, simply because he aligned them with the European RACE. Mind you, this followed after your complaints about how race has nothing to do with 'black' skin. As if that embarrassing flip flop didn't take the cake, you also suggested that clustering cranio-facially with Maghrebis is mutually exclusive with having a 'black' skin:

Here is the problem. He doesn't say that. That is the point. You keep saying he does but he does not and I showed you he does not but you still keep insisting he says he does.

You are the one who has spent the last 15 pages trying to defend white racists claiming they "know the AE were black" yet I keep posting how you are putting words into their mouths and simply lying outright in many cases.

Thats fine. YOU are defending racists saying what they don't say.

Call it whatever you want but racists like Baker are not calling the AE black in any kind of way.

Here is what Mr Baker actually says:
quote:

The descendants of Ham were the Hamites, but here again we are in difficulty, because it is uncertain who the Hamites were. Since Canaan was one of the sons of Ham, it seems reasonable to suppose that the Canaanites were Hamites. Usually, however, the Hamites of the Bible are assumed to have been the early Egyptians, who are thought to have been Protomediterranids hybridized with Orientalids; but Chapter x of Genesis makes it clear that the Sumerians and Assyrians, among others, were also descendants of Ham. Certain authorities have supposed that the Hamites were Negrids. It has, indeed, been claimed that the latter were descendants of Phut, one of Ham"s sons; but it is doubtful whether much was known of Negrids by the writers of Genesis, x, and Phut"s descendants do not appear to have made any clear mark on the available historical records. The Japhetic peoples are usually supposed to have been of "Indo-European" or "Indo-Germanic" stock; but these expressions, based on linguistic studies, are not translatable into ethnic terms. Evidence has been brought forward for the view that the Japhetic peoples were in fact Armenids and Alpinids.

It is impossible to draw any definite conclusions from the account in Genesis of the origin of the various peoples to whom reference is made, beyond the fact that they were all supposed to have sprung from a common ancestor; but it seems very probable that they were all Europids. Whatever the correct interpretation may be, there is no doubt that hybridization among subraces occurred in Palestine and Mesopotamia in biblical times, and that the Hebrews were strongly urged by some of their spiritual leaders to avoid it. Although the ethnic taxa in question were only subraces of the same (Europid) race as themselves, there was no question of "equality" in the minds of the leaders. It was legitimate to despise people of another taxon that was regarded as more primitive.

Those in modern times who overstress the significance of 'colour' would receive a wholesome corrective on reading the excellent essay on physical anthropology written by an anonymous traveller and published in the Journal des Sgavans in 1684. In this very remarkable work on the geographical distribution of human "Especes ou Races", the author clearly recognizes that the people of North Africa, Arabia, and India belong to the same race as those of Europe. He writes on the subject of colour as follows. For although the Egyptians, for instance, and the Indians are very black, or rather tawny, this colour is nevertheless only accidental to them, and comes only because they expose themselves to the sun; for those who take care of themselves and are not obliged to expose themselves to it as often as the common people are, are not blacker than many Spaniards. It is true that most Indians have something rather different from us in the expression of the face and in the colour, which often tends towards yellow; but that does not seem sufficient to make a particular species; for otherwise it would be necessary to make one also for the Spaniards, another for the Germans, and similarly for several other peoples of Europe. The author sharply distinguishes certain other "coloured" races from the Indians, by morphological criteria. He considered the women of Lahore the most beautiful of India. These would have been Nordindids (Indo-Afghans). Some of the important facts first clearly established by the anonymous traveller were well exhibited in the atlas published by de Vaugondy nearly a century later. The area of "iLes Europeens", identified by the appearance of the face (visage), includes not only Europe itself (apart from the extreme north of Scandinavia and the region north of the Black Sea), but also Africa north of the Sahara, Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India as far south as the River Ganges.

It was already recognized in the seventeenth century that the skin-colour of certain races of man was not solely due to the action of the sun's rays during the life of the individual. One Leutholf or Ludolfus, writing in 1691, put the matter very clearly in a commentary published separately from his book on Africa. "But still", he says, "within the range of the tropical sun there are nations if not actually white, at any rate not actually black; many are far distant from the equator, beyond one tropic or the other, such as the inhabitants of Persia or Syria, or the Cape of Good Hope, for example, and nevertheless they are very black." Ludolfus refers to the blackness of the native inhabitants of Ceylon and other countries and remarks, "If you attribute the natural cause fof their skin-colour to the heavens and the sun, why do not white men who grow old in these regions become black?" There is here clear recognition of the reality of genetic differences between ethnic taxa.

Rousseau was by no means the only celebrated author of the eighteenth century who contributed to the discussion of the ethnic problem. Some of the greatest philosophical and political thinkers of the period-Montesquieu, Hume, Kant, and Voltaire among them made comments, though mostly short ones. Some of these were merely satirical, and therefore not helpful in the search for truth. Thus Montesquieu wrote of the Negro in De Vesprit des lois: "Those concerned are black from the feet to the head; and they have the nose squashed so flat that it is almost impossible to pity them. One cannot take it into one’s mind that God, who is a wise being, has placed a soul, especially a good soul, in a wholly black body." The irony is so heavy-handed in the passage from which this extract is taken, that it cannot be regarded as effective even by the standards according to which this kind of rhetoric is commonly judged. The Scottish philosopher and historian David Hume was one of those opponents of conventional religious thought who did not hesitate to express their belief in the inferiority of certain ethnic taxa. In his Essays, moral and political he writes, "And indeed, there is some Reason to think, that all the Nations, which live beyond the polar Circles or betwixt the Tropics, are inferior to the rest of the Species, and are utterly incapable of all the higher Attainments of the human Mind." He remarked, however, that there was no relation between intelligence and latitude within the limits of the temperate zone. Hume was particularly impressed by the ease with which Negroes could be bribed by the gift of alcoholic drinks. He noted that the character of the Chinese was remarkably uniform over a huge area, in which the climatic conditions varied widely from place to place, and he concluded that the differences in "Temper" of the various nations could not be due solely to the physical environment. He thought, however, that fortuitous circumstances might have produced some of the differences. In developing nations, a few persons gain control and eventually influence the mass of the people. Since the governing body is small, there must be a large element of chance in its composition.
Gobineau considered that most scientific observers showed a marked tendency to present an unduly low estimate of primitive human types. "In the most repugnant cannibals", he claimed, "there remains a spark of divine fire, and the faculty of understanding can kindle itself at least to a certain degree." Gobineau’s principal criterion for judging the superiority of a race was its capacity to originate a great civilization. In his opinion there had been ten such civilizations in the course of history, seven in the Old World and three in America. The seven were those of the Indians, Egyptians, Assyrians, Greeks, Chinese, Romans, and finally the races germaniques. The American civilizations were those of the Meghaniens, Mexicans, and Peruvians. It should be pointed out that at the time when Gobineau wrote, it was scarcely possible to realize that the culture of the Assyrians was derived from that of the Sumerians. His Alleghanian civilization was presumably a branch of the ancient "Mound-building" culture, subsequently recognized as widespread in the United States. It is clear that by the name "races germaniques" Gobineau meant the Nordid subrace. He attributed the civilization of modern Europe to people of this stock, who had intermarried to some extent with Slavs and others without degrading too quickly their natural instinct of initiative. The Germanics were, for Gobineau, a branch of the ‘Aryan race’, to which he ascribed, in part at least, no fewer than six of the great civilizations of the Old World all, that is to say, except the Assyrian; for he considered that culture had been brought to China by Aryans of India. The Aryans, in his sense, appear to have been the various peoples who spoke Indogermanic languages, for he did not define them in terms of physical anthropology. He regarded them as the great initiators of civilization. Gobineau’s long book ends on a pessimistic note. Hybridization was destroying the great civilizations of modern times as it had destroyed those of the past. "Thus mixture, mixture everywhere, always mixture: that is the clearest, most certain, the most durable work of great societies and powerful civilizations." He recognizes two periods in the existence of man on earth. "The one, which has passed, will have witnessed and possessed the youth, the vigour, the intellectual grandeur of the species; the other, which has begun, will know the faltering procession towards decrepitude."
The Nilotids remained for a long time almost free from external influence. The ancient camel-routes across the Sahara passed well to the west of them, and the Nile itself was far from providing a convenient approach. Direct passage up the river from Egypt was made difficult not only by the cataracts in the lower part of its course, but even more so further upstream by the periodical accumulation of enormous masses of entangled aquatic vegetation. For long ages this sudd constituted a formidable barrier between the Egyptians and the Negrid tribes to the south.

Although the inhabitants of Egypt throughout the dynastic period were similar to one another in many respects, they were differentiated at first into two local forms, one of them occupying the Fayum and parts of the country in the vicinity of the lower Nile, and the other living far upstream, in the region called the Thebaid. In anthropological studies the former region is referred to as "Lower Egypt", though it does not correspond exactly with the modern province of that name; the other is called "Upper Egypt". The Upper Egyptians had narrower skulls, and consequently somewhat lower cranial indices (commonly about 73 -5, in comparison with 75 0 or rather more among the Lower Egyptians) and one may condense a very large body of statistical data into a few words by saying that in all the six criteria by which Egyptian skulls can be distinguished from Negrid ones, the Upper Egyptian skulls approximated at first a little more closely towards the Negrid condition than did those from Lower Egypt. This differentiation did not persist, however. Extremely gradually, as one dynasty succeeded another, over an immense period, the skulls of the Upper Egyptians changed, until at last they were scarcely distinguishable from those of the Lower Egyptians, even by the most refined statistical techniques. Morant considers two possible causes of the change: either miscegenation in Upper Egypt on a very large scale, with eventual predominance of the Lower Egyptian element, or an independent evolutionary change in the Upper Egyptian population. He does not decide the question, but the former possibility seems much the more probable of the two. Eickstedt maintained a third opinion, that the Upper Egyptians were pushed out of the country towards the south by their relatives from downstream. Whichever hypothesis is correct, the population of the whole country became almost homogeneous, with attenuation of the Negrid element. The Fellahin and Copts of modern Egypt are regarded as scarcely modified descendants of the Egyptians of late dynastic times

Now you are sitting here saying that he is saying they are black some kind of way but in reality he is doing what racists have always been doing, trying to make Ancient Egypt part of the white European "race".

Suffice to say, he is not calling them black because in his own words, they are a sub population of "Europids" and not "darker than Spaniards". Which means interchangeable with White Europeans.

But this is the point. These racist scholars make up racial categories so that they can include white Europeans into other populations that have no European ancestry. It is pseudo science and hardly based on anything we would consider logical science. So the problem is you are introducing these racists into the discussion knowing full well that their whole jargon is full of contradictions and inherent fallacies but you are defending them saying they 'really' mean something that they "really" don't. They simply make up any old scientific sounding reason to claim that the AE were some kind of "white European" population. That is why they created these racial categories in the first place and obviously they don't reflect anything but the racist mentality of the European. And according to that to claim that they viewed the AE as "black" like other Africans is preposterous. They don't and they are simply using pseudo science to make up distinctions in order to justify claiming these folks as part of the white "race", which is a made up concept allowing them to take non white people and turn them into white Europeans. Meaning they use words and language to mislead and misdirect versus clarify on purpose in order to support your agenda. Yet here you are posting up these people as examples of clarity in the use of language on the subject of skin color. That is simply an example of why your whole argument doesn't even make sense.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Hey flip flopper. This is the advice you need to heed:

https://youtu.be/Iow392Lib1Q?t=7s

Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Black people are people with black skin. Just as white people are people with white skin.

Not trying to be a pissant but I think you could've put a lot more thought into this one.

-

Not black by your rules:

-

Not black by your rules:

-

Not black by your rules:

-

STILL not black by your rules:
 -

*almost* black by your rules:
 -

-

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
↑ That is EXACTLY what it all boils down to: made-made RULES.

When I say that the AE weren't black according to a particular tradition, some knuckleheads think I'm questioning the Africanity of the AE.

If many brown and dark brown skinned North Africans fall outside of the definition of 'black' of a particular observer, and I acknowledge that such a definition exists (e.g. Ptolemy who only considered the tribes around Meroe "pure Aethiopians" and "true blacks"), that doesn't mean that I'm co-signing that tradition.

SMH. These are subjective rules, and yes, if someone uses 'black' in reference to any other skin tone than what visually appears to be jet-black skin, their own definition of 'black', whatever it is, is based on subjective rules. And yes, Ptolemy's definition of who has 'black' skin is more defensible than other definitions of who has 'black' skin, including the al Jahiz one I've subscribed to in the past.

If you're going to argue that Ptolemy is wrong for applying brown to brown-skinned Egyptians and lower Nubians and black to those further south who had jet-black skin, you're chemically imbalanced and I don't need to be talking to you.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^Exactly...
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
The Berg Damaras have not risen to the adoption of an own national name. Everything to this effect in the literature on the subject is based on mishearing or incorrect interpretation of what has been heard. They called themselves Nu Khoin, i.e., black people, apparently to distinguish themselves from the Hottentots, whose favourite appellation for themselves was Awa Khoin, i.e., red people. It is a fact that the Berg Damaras are amongst the darkest-skinned tribes of Africa.
https://books.google.com.tr/books?id=NZorBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=awa+khoin&source=bl&ots=w8EBAke6jf&sig=tziuSdjaZjDxEzeb_OkmH3kS8M4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_8onCgs_KAhVGuBQKHUH xBrsQ6AEIHzAA#v=onepage&q=awa%20khoin&f=false

Again, man-made rules involved in what can be included under 'black', even in Africa. This convention here seems to mirror Ptolemy's tradition where 'black' equals jet-black skin and 'brown' (or 'red') equals brown skin.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' as far as lay people's decisions about the range of brown skin pigmentation shades that can be called 'black'.

Just different traditions of 'black'.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
^^Hell I heard from many people that even still to this day Fulanis in the very rural parts of Africa are still looked at as "red people" or even "white" by some Sahalian Africans. I read in medieval Africa that Fuklanis were viewed as "red people". Can't find source for that one sadly, but I do remember reading it.

Hell I'll go even further and say that I red about the IGBOS being referred to as red people by their neighbors.

This TOO correlates to Ptolemy tradition of jet black and brown.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
@Swenet

Found it!

quote:
"He disengaged himself from other life experiences and went back to a particular spot in his memory to capture the racial distinctions he was able to make. He saw no distinction in skin color between the red men in Igboland and the white men he met on the slave ship."
--Jacob Korieh. 2009. Olaudah Equiano and the Igbo world: history, society and Atlantic. 2009

-
 -
 -

But obviously these Igbos would be considered "black" in the USA.

But anyways this is exactly why I created this thread, this is exactly why I never just use skin tone to "define" a "race". Too many holes you can fall into.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Jeez how many times do Ihave
to eexplain Sfican's use of red
and black .

Yes red monkey and white man
of Africa are what tthey call us.

We call Euros red ears but we
don't call Berbers that. No
Senegalese ever called me that
either.

Do you have any day to day
association with born and
bred continental Africans

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

Also the USA idea of black is not Africa's idea.
In Africa people are recognized by their actual
tone or the tone of the majority of their ethny.

Ethiopia has a three colour terminology
tequr:black
teyem:brown
qey:red

Sudan
azraq:blue
akhdar:green
asmar:brown
ahmar:red
asfar:yellow

Fon
me-wi:black people
nya/na-wi:male/female black (very dark or pitch black complexion
nya/na-vo:male/female red (lighter than average skin complexion

Yoruba
dudu:black
light-skinned Africans are referred to as
pupa:red-yellow (think 'palm oil') and
funfun:White (albinos).

Ibo
ojii:black
ocha:white

Then there are the Kel taGelmust with their
various designations for themselves, coastal
Berbers, and Gnawas, yellow, white, grey; or
internal assignments by class noble, vassal,
and enslaved, red green black.

You black guys who have no other identity
than Black just don't get it or don't want
to get it. USA will never dominate our own
precise choice terms for our skin colours.
]

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@BBH interesting

Skin color conventions from Greco-Roman Egypt:

quote:
Pamonthes, aged about forty-five, of middle size, dark complexion, and handsome figure, bald, round faced and straight nosed; Snachomneus, aged about twenty, of middle size, sallow complexion, round faced and straight nosed; Semmuthis Persinei, aged about twenty-two, of middle size, sallow complexion, round faced, flat nosed, and of quiet demeanour; and Tathlyt Persinei, aged about thirty, of middle size, sallow complexion, round face and straight nose,—the four being children of Petepsais, of the leather cutters of the Memnonia; and Nechutes the less, the son of Asos, aged about forty, of middle size, sallow complexion, cheerful countenance, long face and straight nose, with a scar upon the middle of his forehead.
Fayum mask from the same Greco-Roman era with "sallow" complexion:

-

http://snag.gy/s4Pb7.jpg

These people would probably call people with Ice Cube's complexion 'sallow skinned', not 'black skinned'.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading it. New thread?

quote:
@Xyyman

Just plugged this African American's STR profile into popaffiliator:

http://www.dnatribes.com/sample_africanamerican.php

This is the individual's STR profile (this STR set is fully compatible with popaffiliator's 34 input slots):

-

These are this individual's popaffiliator results:

(5 population predictions)
North Africa:
59.6%
Sub-Saharan Africa:
37.4%
Eurasia:
1.7%
Asia:
1%
Near East:
0.4%

(3 population predictions)
Sub-Saharan Africa:
91.8%
Eurasia:
4.1%
Asia:
4.1%

These are his regional MLI score results:

-

Again, the above individual is an African American who took DNA Tribes' STR test.

A literal interpretation of this individual's world region match MLI scores would lead to the conclusion that (s)he is most likely to be a West African with no outside influence. A literal interpretation of this individual's global population match scores would suggest that (s)he is more likely to be a mainland African than an African American.

Popaffiliator suggests that (s)he's not completely Sub-Saharan African in this 17 STR profile

This individual's TribeScores suggests that (s)he doesn't rank particularly high among individuals within the Tropical West African region where most African Americans come from. His/her best TribeScore is with the Sudan + Horn composite region (which is interesting because African American genomes do tend to cluster close to Maasai and other East African groups in PCA). In the global population match rankings you can clearly see that, while the MLI scores get it completely wrong, this African American has the best TribeScore with low MLI scoring Afro-Carribeans from the UK (0.77) and from the Bahamas (0.62).

From this individual's heritage (African American) we KNOW that (s)he's not as Sub-Saharan in this 17 STR profile as most West Africans.

Which result is closer to the mark? The world region and global population match MLI scores or the popaffiliator and TribeScore results?

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Also the USA idea of black is not Africa's idea.
In Africa people are recognized by their actual
tone or the tone of the majority of their ethny.

Ethiopia has a three colour terminology
tequr:black
teyem:brown
qey:red

Sudan
azraq:blue
akhdar:green
asmar:brown
ahmar:red
asfar:yellow

Fon
me-wi:black people
nya/na-wi:male/female black (very dark or pitch black complexion
nya/na-vo:male/female red (lighter than average skin complexion

Yoruba
dudu:black
light-skinned Africans are referred to as
pupa:red-yellow (think 'palm oil') and
funfun:White (albinos).

Ibo
ojii:black
ocha:white

Then there are the Kel taGelmust with their
various designations for themselves, coastal
Berbers, and Gnawas, yellow, white, grey; or
internal assignments by class noble, vassal,
and enslaved, red green black.

You black guys who have no other identity
than Black just don't get it or don't want
to get it. USA will never dominate our own
precise choice terms for our skin colours.
]

Doug comment?
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@Xyyman

It takes another thread for you to admit that the MLI scores can't be taken literally and that it's the TribeScore figures that assign the best matches to this African American every time? Mind you, the best matches (i.e. Africans in the diaspora) mostly have relatively low MLI scores.

It's obviously NOT a contradiction to have strong MLI scores with one group, yet 1) belong to a group with low MLI scores and 2) fit better in that low MLI scoring group in terms of percentile ranking. Just admit it bro.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
@Tukuler if that post was directed at me, yes I do have contact with born and bred Africans. And matter fact I'm actually planning on visiting my sister in Ethiopia this May. And if I do, I'll share my experience how actual Africans like Ethiopians view "skin color". It should be interesting.

NO ONE is trying to FORCE USA version of black on any Africans. Especially not me, I'm just furthering Swenets point he made.

Btw if you mind me asking are you a "Sahelian" African? Because you seem to know your stuff about that region of Africa.

@Swenet

Thanks and interesting point about "sallow".

I find it funny that some arrogant Eurocentrics see "red" paintings of Egyptians and jet black paintings of Nubians and say, "SEE! SEE! DA GYPTIANS were NOT NEGROIDS!"

When Ancient people literally went by skin color such as Ptolemy. Those "red" paintings of Egyptians would have most likely been similar to those "red" Fulanis and Igbos in skin color in my honest opinion. And those "jet black" Nubians would have been similar to modern day Dinkas in Southern Sudan.

But...When we post "red paintings" of Kushites their arguments fall flat.
 -

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Ptolemaic period – Ptolemy V
Limestone, In the middle we can see Buchis, and in front of him the King Ptolemy V offers the bull the sekhet, the symbol of the fields.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Agreed. The MLI score and Tribe Score can contrast. But let me read the DNATribes writeup.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:

NO ONE is trying to FORCE USA version of black on any Africans. Especially not me, I'm just furthering Swenets point he made.

You're furthering used car salesman bullshit patter.

quote:
Btw if you mind me asking are you a "Sahelian" African? Because you seem to know your stuff about that region of Africa.
I'm an Americanized Mauritanian Toucouleur Fulani of the Torodbe class with very recent Libyan bani Yisra'el paternal ancestry.
I have Kameroun Hamidou kinsmen and in fact my genetic profile is more indicative of Central West Africa than Atlantic West Africa.

I can only post as my new Jamakan 4th wife (all kids from previous marriages and dalliances grown and out the house) permits me to steal moments away from her attentive affection. Never thought I'd love a down yard woman but life is full of surprises, just wait you'll see.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
I'm an Americanized Mauritanian Toucouleur Fulani with very recent Libyan bani Yisra'el paternal ancestry.

Are the Toucouleur and Fulani really the same ethnic group? Because I thought they were distinct but related. Or are you a mix?
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toucouleur are the root. Originally Fulani
just designated cattle herders and "bush"
folk. Toucouleur are the haughty primeval
original Hal Pulaaren of Tekrur. We are
'Town Fulani' scholars and aristocrats
and nobody in Senegal/Mauritania doubts
that.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that.

I see. I admit that the recent revelation of ausar's stunts have made me more suspicious of certain people's professed ethnicities, but thanks for the clarification there.
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Agreed. The MLI score and Tribe Score can contrast. But let me read the DNATribes writeup.

Who gives a **** about DNAtribes which
is business proprietary not SCIENCE.

I didn't wanna post till more analysis
but here's the preliminaries of that
AfrAm sample profile posted earlier
without paragraphs of my further
analysis which may or may not
be forthcoming

--------------------------------------

-

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Quote:
--------
Summary Comments:DNA Tribes results for this person provide a detailed and comprehensive picture of their African-American ancestry including their closest genetic relatives amongst ethnic groups in both Africa and the modern African Diaspora populations as well as detailed information about other world populations where their genetic material is common.
Comments for this sample individual: The Top 20 Native population matches for this individual include several indigenous African nations and tribes in our database. The listed individual MLI scores do not indicate the percentage of individual’s genetic material attributable to individual populations. Instead, these MLI scores assess the RELATIVE LIKELIHOOD of this person’s genetic make-up occurring in a particular population:

The STRONGEST match is with a Tanzanian population where this individual’s DNA profile is 17,822,172 times more likely to occur than in the world as a whole. The TribeScore of (0.50) indicates this MLI score is higher than 50% of MLIs for sampled Tanzanian individuals; thus, this individual’s genetic make-up is quite common in this Tanzanian population.
However, similar DNA profiles can be found in other native African populations: the MLI score of 13,549,274 for Angola indicates that this example DNA profile is 17,822,172 / 13,549,274 = 1.3 times more likely in Tanzania than in Angola. For both populations, the TribeScores are within the expected range of (0.25) or above which indicates this person's DNA fits well within the genetic range for members of both populations

---------------

So the issue is Tribe Score vs MLI.

The above translates to – so the Amarnas DNA material is most like to be found “IN” the Great Lakes/Southern African population. Of course the West Africans are 3rd in line.

In mathematical terms the Tribe score is a ***FUNCTION*** of the MLI score.

So in other words, the “OVERALL” Amarnas genetic material is most likely found in Southern Africans.

In the African-American Example above: 17,822,172 genetic components are found in the Tanzanian population. The most than any other population. However ONLY! ONLY! 13,549,274 genetic components from the Afram is found in the Angolan population compared to 17,822,172. Now, “WITHIN” the 13,549,274 components, >36%(Tribescore) of the Angolan population have these 13,549,274 components.
Hope you get it now!

So the first thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the MLI. The Tribes Score is secondary to the MLI. Hit me up if you have any more questions.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
I just cleared it up. See above. Hope we don’t have to revisit this unless some NEW information comes up.

I don’t get it when you guys diss DNATribes. Like it is not “peer reviewed” or “it is proprietary”. Shows that you don’t UNDERSTAND what is going on and how this thing works. It is a level of ignorance. DNATribes does not need to be “peer reviewed”. Lol! What they do, YOU and ANYONE can do also. They are not conducting studies. They are processing data. It is very simple. Just as you take the Amarnas reported STR material from the JAMA report and plug it into popAffliator or OMNI. This what DNATribes did. Matched the Amarna results with from JAMA with “their” database. Simple. SMH.

quote:
quote:

Who gives a **** about DNAtribes which
is business proprietary not SCIENCE.

I didn't wanna post till more analysis
but here's the preliminaries of that
AfrAm sample profile posted earlier
without paragraphs of my further
analysis which may or may not
be forthcoming

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Quote:
--------
Summary Comments:DNA Tribes results for this person provide a detailed and comprehensive picture of their African-American ancestry including their closest genetic relatives amongst ethnic groups in both Africa and the modern African Diaspora populations as well as detailed information about other world populations where their genetic material is common.
Comments for this sample individual: The Top 20 Native population matches for this individual include several indigenous African nations and tribes in our database. The listed individual MLI scores do not indicate the percentage of individual’s genetic material attributable to individual populations. Instead, these MLI scores assess the RELATIVE LIKELIHOOD of this person’s genetic make-up occurring in a particular population:

The STRONGEST match is with a Tanzanian population where this individual’s DNA profile is 17,822,172 times more likely to occur than in the world as a whole. The TribeScore of (0.50) indicates this MLI score is higher than 50% of MLIs for sampled Tanzanian individuals; thus, this individual’s genetic make-up is quite common in this Tanzanian population.
However, similar DNA profiles can be found in other native African populations: the MLI score of 13,549,274 for Angola indicates that this example DNA profile is 17,822,172 / 13,549,274 = 1.3 times more likely in Tanzania than in Angola. For both populations, the TribeScores are within the expected range of (0.25) or above which indicates this person's DNA fits well within the genetic range for members of both populations

---------------

The above translates to – so the Amarnas DNA material is most like to be found “IN” the Great Lakes/Southern African population. Of course the West Africans are 3rd in line.

So in other words, the “OVERALL” Amarnas genetic material is most likely found in Southern Africans.

In the African-American Example above: 17,822,172 genetic components are found in the Tanzanian population. The most than any other population. However ONLY! ONLY! 13,549,274 genetic components from the Afram is found in the Angolan population compared to 17,822,172. Now, “WITHIN” the 13,549,274 components, >36%(Tribescore) of the Angolan population have these 13,549,274 components.
Hope you get it now!

So the first thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the MLI. The Tribes Score is secondary to the MLI. Hit me up if you have any more questions. [/qb]

You picked it up precisely as DNAtribes themselves
put it down without any self serving spin. Congrats!

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
[QB] Quote:
--------

---------------

Agree so far.

quote:
Now you're completely losing me. What do you mean with "components"?

quote:
So the first thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the MLI. The Tribes Score is secondary to the MLI. Hit me up if you have any more questions.
The MLI scores tell you how frequently the genetic material captured by a particular STR profile occurs in a population. But what if the MLI score of a particular population is lower because it's hybridized and heterogeneous? In that case, a lower MLI score doesn't mean anything because admixture has displaced the native ancestry in the hybrid comparative sample and decreased the frequency of the native alleles.

Hence, why most of the somewhat admixed diasporal African individuals who take tests with DNA Tribes have exceptional MLI scores with continental Africans and relatively lower MLI scores with African Americans and Afro-Caribbeans. That doesn't mean that they're more related to continental Africans than to their family members or neighbors in their own communities.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

N
quote:

I don’t get it when you guys diss DNATribes. Like it is not “peer reviewed” or “it is proprietary”. Shows that you don’t UNDERSTAND what is going on and how this thing works. It is a level of ignorance. DNATribes does not need to be “peer reviewed”. Lol! What they do, YOU and ANYONE can do also. The]

onetheless DNAtribes is not
peer reviewed. DNAtribes is a
proprietary business never cited
nor quoted in sscientific journals.
Stop telling me to accept them as
other than layman opinion.

Both Swenet w/PopAffiliator %s
and myself with popSTR actual
data have shown some holes in
DNAtribes' results.

Andyes iit's true results will vary
pending databases used. So now
get off your ass and present us
with your own work on par with
DNAtribes, myself, and Swenet's
research and analysis, my cousin.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Sage. You need to calm down. You want to discuss MLI or you don’t? Stop being a tizzy. Point is, there is nothing more to add to the discussion. Swenet is just spinning. You should know that.

How long have Swenet /Kalonji have been posting here. You know he is a spinmaster.

Keep in mind the only difference between DNATribes and a layman is DNATribes has an extensive database to compare the Amarna samples. Irregardless OMNI and PopAffliator gives the same result as DNATribes.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Quote:
--------

---------------

Hope you get it now!

put it down without any self serving spin. Congrats! [/QB]

quote:

That is a mistranslation

They are not saying people of the Great Lakes/Southern African/ West Africans have Amarna DNA

The DNA that they have is in common with the Amarna, that is common ancestry between these groups but it is certainly not "Amarna DNA" that is specific to the Amarna.
That is an important point.
The DNA they are referring to far predates the Amarna.
The Amarna, Great Lakes/Southern African/ West Africans are some of the people who carry some of this DNA.

To miss-call it "Amarna DNA" is to suggest Great Lakes/Southern African/ West Africans are descendants of the Amarna. That could be possible in some cases but that is not what these MLI scores are determining

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Sage. You need to calm down. You want to discuss MLI or you don’t? Stop being a tizzy. Point is, there is nothing more to add to the discussion. Swenet is just spinning. You should know that.

How long have Swenet /Kalonji have been posting here. You know he is a spinmaster.

Cuz

U need 2 shut the **** up
pay attention and do what
me and Swenet did.

Where's yr comprehension?
Didn't u hear me say I don't
care much about non replicable
MLIs and TribeScores.

I only care about matching
sample profiles against Db
entries for independent
analysis.

Show me u r capable of
doing that as well as u
can pat yrself on the back.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Agreed Lioness – but potato – potato. [Roll Eyes] Doesn’t matter. Amarnas, West Africans, Grate Lakes and Southern Africans shared the closest genetic material.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
quote:
Quote:
--------

---------------

Hope you get it now!

put it down without any self serving spin. Congrats!

quote:

That is a mistranslation

They are not saying people of the Great Lakes/Southern African/ West Africans have Amarna DNA

The DNA that they have is in common with the Amarna, that is common ancestry between these groups but it is certainly not "Amarna DNA" that is specific to the Amarna.
That is an important point.
The DNA they are referring to far predates the Amarna.
The Amarna, Great Lakes/Southern African/ West Africans are some of the people who carry some of this DNA.

To miss-call it "Amarna DNA" is to suggest Great Lakes/Southern African/ West Africans are descendants of the Amarna. That could be possible in some cases but that is not what these MLI scores are determining [/QB]

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by Nodnarb:
quote:
that.

I see. I admit that the recent revelation of ausar's stunts have made me more suspicious of certain people's professed ethnicities, but thanks for the clarification there.
U r welcome
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
BTW - @ Lioness and newbies. That is the same marketing ploy FTDNA used when they labeled some genetic materials as the “Tut” gene or the “Thuya” gene. It is all marketing spin for the gullible. But the fact is, as a group, of the 8 STR released by Hawass and JAMA the Amarnas are Southern Africans. Bottom line. They are not North Africans, they are not Arabians or even Levantines. Europeans don’t even come into the picture. (wait I take that back – aren’t they closer to Europeans than modern Levantines/Turks) But, they are undoubtedly pure Africans.

--------------------

This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  39  40  41   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com