EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Look at this (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Look at this
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

title:

Egyptian glazed relief of a Nubian slave.

http://www.gettyimages.com/pictures/egyptian-glazed-relief-of-a-nubian-slave-from-a-temple-of-news-photo-501585765

Again:

http://www.heritage-images.com/Preview/PreviewPage.aspx?id=2580675&licenseType=RM&from=search&back=2580675&orntn=3

Egyptian glazed relief of a Nubian slave from a Temple of Rameses III at Tel el Jahudiye.

Now the same piece is listed at

http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/advanced_result.aspx?pag=99

information link:

http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/record.aspx?id=4907

-

Present location
KUNSTHISTORISCHES MUSEUM [09/001]

International Inventory number
09/001/4907

Inventory number
3896b

Designation
Head of a Beduin from Syria

Archaeological Site
UNKNOWN

Provenance
LOWER EGYPT:  GOVERNORATE OF QALYUBIYA:  TELL EL-YHUDIYA

Materials
MAN MADE MATERIAL:  FAIENCE

I'm assuming that Getty Images has this picture wrongly identified as a Nubian due to the hair style and beard but I can't find a direct link to the KUNSTHISTORISCHES MUSEUM for a description "Head of a Beduin from Syria"

-

Theban Mapping Project's caption:

"Book of Gates, fourth division (P)/fifth hour (H), lower register, scene 30: Syrian and Nubian, two of the "four races of mankind.""

Also I'm getting error messages for the image search and New Photo Database at the Theban Mapping Project

http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/search/

Look at this other Getty Images fuk-up:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/egypt-luxor-ancient-thebes-valley-of-the-high-res-stock-photography/103023389

Egypt, Luxor, Ancient Thebes, Valley of the Kings, Ramesse III's Tomb, detail of the frescos,
Nubian manservant,
New Kingdom, XIX Dynasty, Ramesse II, 1290-1224 b.

-

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Foreign prisoners of Ramesses III: Libyan, Nubian, Syrian, Shasu Bedouin, and Hittite

^The Shasu is depicted with a headband and the hair curving back up out of it like the head above it

show me another one with that hairstyle and head band that is not one of these other Ramses III faience tiles

-

-

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
show me another one with that hairstyle and head band that is not one of these other Ramses III faience tiles
Now what? What excuse you're gonna have now to 'convince' people that the dark skinned man is not really an authentic depiction of some Bronze Age Syrians?

-  -

But you want people to consider a random stock image website that not only speculates the man is a Nubian, but a Nubian slave of all things? Right..

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
quote:
Now what? What excuse you're gonna have now to 'convince' people that the dark skinned man is not really an authentic depiction of some Bronze Age Syrians?

-  -

But you want people to consider a random stock image website that not only speculates the man is a Nubian, but a Nubian slave of all things? Right..

read this again

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

I'm assuming that Getty Images has this picture wrongly identified as a Nubian due to the hair style and beard but I can't find a direct link to the KUNSTHISTORISCHES MUSEUM for a description "Head of a Beduin from Syria"

I am looking for a primary source that identifies these in any way
and what it's based on

-
 -

the examples you posted does not have the hair going up into the headband like these

what you posted has the hair under the head band not going through it

-

Likewise here, third from left , considered Syrian, the headband is over the hair
But the fourth figure considered Shasu (Beduoin) has the hair going through the headband (which is also different from the Sea People who have the hair going straight up through the headband that doesn't fall back in a curve.
No, I don't think these are Nubian but who are they and why

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-tel-el-jahudiye-slave-nubian-copyright-cm-dixon-aaac-ltd-17841274.html

another stock photo website calling this Nubian

-

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol none of those sites you listed are peer-reviewed sites, but instead random image site. Nice try though.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:
lol none of those sites you listed are peer-reviewed sites, but instead random image site. Nice try though.

Again read this:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:

-

This person is of unknown origin. So far you have not produced a peer reviewed source about it.

so far the best I could find is the globalegyptianmuseum.org website which is pretty good and they list the location
KUNSTHISTORISCHES MUSEUM and call it a Syrian
but I want to see if that museum identified it as such or a book or article

But it may be Shasu or some other group which the Egyptians distinguished from Syrians as I have shown

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL when I first came here on Egyptsearch ! I identified them as being from the Cairo Museum, second floor. I then later discovered the links to KUNSTHISTORISCHES MUSEUM, Remember?

quote:
At a rough estimate, over 2 million objects from ancient Egypt are kept in about 850 public collections, dispersed over 69 countries around the world. This website aims to collect them into a global virtual museum, which can be visited at any time, from any place. The Global Egyptian Museum is a long-term project, carried out under the aegis of the International Committee for Egyptology (CIPEG).

The Basic Mode, currently showcasing 1340 highlights, is geared to the interested public. A glossary of more than 400 items explains Egyptian terms and themes. Many objects are provided with audio comments and 3D-movies.

The Advanced Mode, equiped with a powerfull search and data entry engine, opens up the full database - presently 14975 objects - to professionals and amateurs.

Kids! offers information for children at the age of 8-12 years in an interactive way.

-

Supported by CIPEG Committee of the International Council of Museums (ICOM/UNESCO)

http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/default.aspx

Lioness, your sources show that they are willing to corrupt history, without a hassle. Lioness, do we need to discuss again who inhabited the region of the Levant?

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

information link:

Present location

09/001/4907

Inventory number
3896b

Designation

Archaeological Site
UNKNOWN

Provenance

Materials

^^ This is a quote from my initial post

are you saying something is wrong about it?

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

information link:

Present location

09/001/4907

Inventory number
3896b

Designation

Archaeological Site
UNKNOWN

Provenance

Materials

^^ This is a quote from my initial post

are you saying something is wrong about it?

Your "initial quote"? I posted that stuff here multiple times, long before you ever touched it. LOL SMH

http://www.alamy.com

http://www.alamy.com/about-alamy/our-story.asp

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I gave you the verbatim quote from the initial post, are you retarded?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
I gave you the verbatim quote form the initial post, are you retarded?

Nope, you are.

-

-

A Syrian mercenary drinking beer in the company of his Egyptian wife and child, c. 1350 BC. Photograph: Bettmann/Corbis

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/oct/27/old-ale-beer-history

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

The basic purpose of this thread is to show how Getty Images and alarmy has wrong things in their descriptions

and to determine of what ethnic group this person is with primary text from a physical museum and to also compare it to other figures which have this particular headband hair style where the hair goes through the headband and then falls down curving back

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
 -

The basic purpose of this thread is to show how Getty Images and alarmy has wrong things in their descriptions

and to determine of what ethnic group this person is with primary text from a physical museum and to also compare it to other figures which have this particular headband hair style where the hair goes through the headband and then falls down curving back

We still have ethic people like these in the region of the Levant. It's hard to determine which ethic group they represented back then. For such you need ancient texts and archeology.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
 -
Palestinian Captive, Oriental Insitute

large version:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/kmt_sesh/Ancient%20Egypt/Oriental%20Institute/Palest-MedHab.jpg

-
Louvre

-

Wall Tile Depicting an Asian Captive
Period: New Kingdom, Ramesside Dynasty: Dynasty 20 Reign: reign of Ramesses III Date: ca. 1200–1085 B.C. Geography: Egypt, Upper Egypt; Thebes, Medinet Habu Medium: Faience

-

Glazed polychrome tile from the palace of Rameses III at Tell el-Yahudieh Egypt depicting an Asiatic prisoner 12th century BCE
Photographed at The British Museum in London, United Kingdom.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^Aren't those from Asia Minor?

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
A Semitic slave. Ancient Egyptian figurine. Hecht Museum, Haifa (no date and location given)

-

-

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
[QB] ^Aren't those from Asia Minor?

why are you claiming that the Egyptians depicted Anatolians and that those are Anatolians?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

why are you claiming that the Egyptians depicted Anatolians and that those are Anatolians?
I said Asia Minor. You say Anatolians. But if you want to refer to it like that, so be it. But yes, I do think these are the hittite.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

I said Asia Minor. You say Anatolians. But if you want to refer to it like that, so be it. But yes, I do think these are the hittite.
"I do think" is not an argument, you need evidence
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, your argument is that a triviality like a variation in the way the Bronze Age Syrian wears his headband justifies a new investigation into whether he's really Syrian? Ok. Well, let us know the answer when you've conducted a thorough investigation on stock image sites.
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
So, your argument is that a triviality like a variation in the way the Bronze Age Syrian wears his headband justifies a new investigation into whether he's really Syrian? Ok. Well, let us know the answer when you've conducted a thorough investigation on stock image sites.

another false argument. No proof or sources other than what I have mentioned has been presented that this depicts a Syrian:

-

I do not believe it it to be a Nubian. However I have not yet seen a credible explanation as to why this is a Syrian rather than a Shasu or some other group. I put up the Getty images as "Nubian" because I was surprised that often they are fairly accurate but probably not in this case

If you were to say "anybody with a headband in Egyptian art is a Syrian" show me a reference so the readership know it's not just you making it up

Lazy people not doing research need not apply

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-

Foreign prisoners of Ramesses III: Libyan, Nubian, Syrian, Shasu Bedouin, and Hittite

I'm going to have to get back to this
In the meantime I request Ish Gebor or someone else to go into

https://books.google.com/

or other sources to additional sources confirming or disconfirming the identities of each of these as well as alternate photo source for figures 3, 4 and 5

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that guy a Shasu
I.e., far south Levantine,
possibly forerunner of
* Midianite
* Moabite
* Edomite or
* Nabataean
peoples of the Negeb
and northeast Sinai?

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

another false argument. No proof or sources other than what I have mentioned has been presented that this depicts a Syrian:

-

I do not believe it it to be a Nubian. However I have not yet seen a credible explanation as to why this is a Syrian rather than a Shasu or some other group. I put up the Getty images as "Nubian" because I was surprised that often they are fairly accurate but probably not in this case

If you were to say "anybody with a headband in Egyptian art is a Syrian" show me a reference so the readership know it's not just you making it up

Lazy people not doing research need not apply

I was being facetious to a certain extent (you already clarified), but still, I take issue with the trivialities you're harping on. There are only so many 'types' known to the Egyptians and most of them recur again and again. We already know he's not African (geographically speaking) most likely. We already know that by the Late Bronze Age, pale skin and 'tanned' skin was common in the Middle East. At least per Egyptian art. So how many options do you have to place him?

Please give a bullet list of possible origins other than Syrian. Let's see what that "some other group", as you put it, means.

I have:

*Syrian (or, better yet, Greater Syrian)
*Northern Arabia

Now you.

EDIT:
Actually, on second thought, I don't think he's northern Arabian. So ignore that last entry.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I was being facetious to a certain extent (you already clarified), but still, I take issue with the trivialities you're harping on. There are only so many 'types' known to the Egyptians and most of them recur again and again. We already know he's not African (geographically speaking) most likely.

"not likely " doesn't cut it, research

-and tell us why in your opinion, "not likely" African (geographically speaking)

quote:

EDIT:
Actually, on second thought,

what is this, stream of consciousness?
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:

IF there is no inscription conveying who it is it's always "most likely". Do you think the books you're looking for have something better to offer than "most likely"?

quote:
-and tell us why in your opinion, "not likely" African (geographically speaking)

Simply based on precedents in Egyptian art. I can't recall any African stereotyped as having a combination of full facial hair, somewhat aquiline nose, headband, long hair pulled back in the context of a 9 bows scene or some 'table of nations' scene. Plus, we have that light skin guy with the same features. That's a hint in and of itself that the dark skinned variant is likely not meant to represent a group of Africans (again, geographically speaking).
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking my cue from Diop (1974)
I consulted Lepsius' Denkmalër
for Ramses III rows of Levantine
prisoners on the Great Temple
walls at Medinet Habu.

This inscription allows us to ethnically identify Shasu by their 'national' du styling
 -
Image restored 14MAY2020
 -

Thus the following are Shasu
by the very same ethnic trait.

-  -
 -  -

Ramses III scribe associates
the people of Mt Seir with the
Shasu tribal confederation so
in particular we have Edomites
as in the list of my previous
post. These are far southern
Levantines bordering Arabia.

They are by no means any
kind of Syrian, peoples who
border Turkey.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

IF there is no inscription conveying who it is it's always "most likely". Do you think the books you're looking for have something better to offer than "most likely"?

quote:

Simply based on precedents in Egyptian art. I can't recall any African stereotyped as having a combination of full facial hair, somewhat aquiline nose, headband, long hair pulled back in the context of a 9 bows scene or some 'table of nations' scene. Plus, we have that light skin guy with the same features. That's a hint in and of itself that the dark skinned variant is likely not meant to represent a group of Africans (again, geographically speaking).

Not only that, but they don't even have any clothing that are culturally CONSISTENT with those seen in Nile Valley culture like leopard skin for example.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Hebrew literature metaphorically
informs us Kush was on both sides
of the Red Sea.

Yithro the sheikh of Midian his
daughter Ziporah the Midyan
woman is the Kushite Miriam
sister of Moses was talking
about his wife

I take it the darkest Shasu
could rep for Midyan whether
or not Midyan = Medja as some
like the lovely and learned Dana
Marniche have supposed true.
th

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Originally posted by Tukuler:
thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/sutra2898.php&highlight=hays#2898

[quote="alTakruri"][size=9]Something I wrote back in 1998 in response to an article on Kush in Bible Review.
However, when they printed the letter they edited out everything
I wrote about the Kushite Arabs and Jeremiah's logic concerning leopards,
Kushites and sin. Actually their editing wasn't a bad job but it did leave
intact the modern anthropological limited view about which people are
black in the eyes of the ancients.[/size]

==============================================

Your copyless August cover speaks volumes. The contents page promises
that J. Daniel Hays is going to show that yes, there is something
out of Africa and it effected the Middle East as well as Greece! I
wonder what challenges the readers will make to this article.

I found this foray into one African peoples contributions to the
ancient Bible world refreshing and timely. I really enjoyed the
article. The switching of notes 28 and 32 threw me off for a moment.
So did the Cushite vs Arab dichotomy in note 11. I don't think the
term Cush was only a specific for the Cushite nation proper, but
applied to all very dark skinned nations or individuals as well. Only
the context will tell which is meant.

For instance,Herodotus let's us know that Cushites were in Asia and
Africa when he mentions eastern and western Cushites differentiated by
hair texture. And Josephus mentions the Western Cushites and seems to
class the Sabaeans with them.(Antiquities I.vi.2)

Zerah was most likely a Western Cushite, for the reasons given in the
article. But why can't an Arab be Cushite? GENESIS places a Sheba and
Dedan in both Shem (GEN 25:2) and Ham's (GEN 10:17) territorial lineage.

code:

(Ham -> Cush -> Ra`amah -> Sheba and Dedan)

(Shem - -> `Eber -> Joktan -> Sheba)

(Abraham -> Jokshan -> Sheba and Dedan)
(Abraham -> Midian)

Cushites and Arabians are coupled in Psa 72:10, II Chr 21:16 and
especially Isa 43:3. In Arabic the title, [color=darkblue]Zirrih[/color] (magnificent) has the
same triliteral root as Zerah. Arabic, Egyptian and Hebrew are all
"Afro-Asian" languages.

The incident involving Moses' wife also shows an Arabian Cush. In
Exodus Moses only has one wife, Zipporah the Midianite. Miriam calls
her a Cushite. The extra-Biblical Ethiopian wife does not travel with
Israel in Sinai. Extra-biblical sources do not present her as ever
leaving Ethiopia. So Miriam's Cushite is evidently also a Midianite
and so Hab 3:7 grouping Cushan with Midian.

Anthropolgy is loathe to classify Africans, Arabs and Indians as one
ethnic taxon based on color. The ancients did. It's similar to the
moderns classifying Europeans, Arabs, Indians and even Ethiopians
as Caucasians.

Was Elijah fed by crows or Arabs or a clan called the Crows of the
Arabs? For the Hebrew speakers Arabs, evening, and crows come from the
same root and the word play on dusky color is intended.

For me there's no trouble with [color=darkblue]saris[/color] translated as both official and
eunuch. Were ancient Semites anything like the Muslim Ottomans? If so,
the Kizlar Aghassis testify to the second highest office being in the
hands of a "Cushite" eunuch. Why were officials also often eunuchs?
There are no worries of lineal ambition leading to disloyal activities.

In Hebrew, to this day, [color=darkblue]Cushi[/color] means a "black"-skinned person. The
Israelites evidently had Cushites in their ranks. In the Bible
Israelites named Cushi are Yehudi ben Kushi (Jer 36:14), Zephaniah
ben Kushi (Zep 1:1) and Kush ben-Yemini (Psa 7:1). The Talmud even
refers to Saul in Cushite terms.

Rabbinic midrash makes this all metaphorical though. The reasoning is
that Cushi means outstanding. The Greeks thought of the Ethiopians
as outstanding too. To them, the people with longest lifespan, the
tallest height, the handsomest faces and the most pious actions
were Ethiopians.

In light of the above Jer 13:23 can bear a new interpretation.
Is there anything intrinsically wicked about Cushites or leopards?
Cushites were salesmans of live leopards and leopard skins all
over the ancient world. Who'd buy a spotless leopard skin? The spots
are its beauty. The Cushites skin is his beauty.

The prophet siezes on this common market connection to sound home
his point. "Would the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its
spots? (No!) Then may you also do GOOD that are accustomed to do
evil." Answering the question yes destroys the logical conlusion.
Be steadfast in doing good and don't exchange it for evil.
Be unchanging in doing good instead of flopping with the
worthlessness of evil.

J. Daniel Hays, thanks for something delightfully different in Bible
Review.

-

-

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Blessedbyhorus:
Not only that, but they don't even have any clothing that are culturally CONSISTENT with those seen in Nile Valley culture like leopard skin for example.

AE were skillful in their literature in terms of helping their audience understand what they were trying to convey. It wasn't like, say, Assyrian bass reliefs where you can't even tell ethnicity most of the time.

As a side note:

Note that Egyptian and Assyrian documents agree that headbands were staples in the (Greater) Syrian wardrobe. Assyrians generally don't depict Arabs as wearing these headbands as far as I can tell.

-

So, this headband the dark skinned man is wearing is obviously relevant in terms of placing him somewhere in this region. Hence, why I came back on my hasty initial inclusion of northern Arabia (Assyrians generally don't depict Arabs as wearing these headbands).

Some Bronze Age Semitic speaker (presumably Mesopotamian) with headband below. Note he has the same stringy hairstyle (braids [?]) as the two men on the Egyptian ceramic tiles we're discussing right now. Just like the Egyptian depictions his headband follows his hairline (i.e. it runs diagonally as opposed to winding around his head horizontally):
 -

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/sutra2898.php&highlight=hays#2898

[quote="alTakruri"][size=9]Something I wrote back in 1998 in response to an article on Kush in Bible Review.
However, when they printed the letter they edited out everything
I wrote about the Kushite Arabs and Jeremiah's logic concerning leopards,
Kushites and sin. Actually their editing wasn't a bad job but it did leave
intact the modern anthropological limited view about which people are
black in the eyes of the ancients.[/size]

==============================================

Your copyless August cover speaks volumes. The contents page promises
that J. Daniel Hays is going to show that yes, there is something
out of Africa and it effected the Middle East as well as Greece! I
wonder what challenges the readers will make to this article.

I found this foray into one African peoples contributions to the
ancient Bible world refreshing and timely. I really enjoyed the
article. The switching of notes 28 and 32 threw me off for a moment.
So did the Cushite vs Arab dichotomy in note 11. I don't think the
term Cush was only a specific for the Cushite nation proper, but
applied to all very dark skinned nations or individuals as well. Only
the context will tell which is meant.

For instance,Herodotus let's us know that Cushites were in Asia and
Africa when he mentions eastern and western Cushites differentiated by
hair texture. And Josephus mentions the Western Cushites and seems to
class the Sabaeans with them.(Antiquities I.vi.2)

Zerah was most likely a Western Cushite, for the reasons given in the
article. But why can't an Arab be Cushite? GENESIS places a Sheba and
Dedan in both Shem (GEN 25:2) and Ham's (GEN 10:17) territorial lineage.

code:

(Ham -> Cush -> Ra`amah -> Sheba and Dedan)

(Shem - -> `Eber -> Joktan -> Sheba)

(Abraham -> Jokshan -> Sheba and Dedan)
(Abraham -> Midian)

Cushites and Arabians are coupled in Psa 72:10, II Chr 21:16 and
especially Isa 43:3. In Arabic the title, [color=darkblue]Zirrih[/color] (magnificent) has the
same triliteral root as Zerah. Arabic, Egyptian and Hebrew are all
"Afro-Asian" languages.

The incident involving Moses' wife also shows an Arabian Cush. In
Exodus Moses only has one wife, Zipporah the Midianite. Miriam calls
her a Cushite. The extra-Biblical Ethiopian wife does not travel with
Israel in Sinai. Extra-biblical sources do not present her as ever
leaving Ethiopia. So Miriam's Cushite is evidently also a Midianite
and so Hab 3:7 grouping Cushan with Midian.

Anthropolgy is loathe to classify Africans, Arabs and Indians as one
ethnic taxon based on color. The ancients did. It's similar to the
moderns classifying Europeans, Arabs, Indians and even Ethiopians
as Caucasians.

Was Elijah fed by crows or Arabs or a clan called the Crows of the
Arabs? For the Hebrew speakers Arabs, evening, and crows come from the
same root and the word play on dusky color is intended.

For me there's no trouble with [color=darkblue]saris[/color] translated as both official and
eunuch. Were ancient Semites anything like the Muslim Ottomans? If so,
the Kizlar Aghassis testify to the second highest office being in the
hands of a "Cushite" eunuch. Why were officials also often eunuchs?
There are no worries of lineal ambition leading to disloyal activities.

In Hebrew, to this day, [color=darkblue]Cushi[/color] means a "black"-skinned person. The
Israelites evidently had Cushites in their ranks. In the Bible
Israelites named Cushi are Yehudi ben Kushi (Jer 36:14), Zephaniah
ben Kushi (Zep 1:1) and Kush ben-Yemini (Psa 7:1). The Talmud even
refers to Saul in Cushite terms.

Rabbinic midrash makes this all metaphorical though. The reasoning is
that Cushi means outstanding. The Greeks thought of the Ethiopians
as outstanding too. To them, the people with longest lifespan, the
tallest height, the handsomest faces and the most pious actions
were Ethiopians.

In light of the above Jer 13:23 can bear a new interpretation.
Is there anything intrinsically wicked about Cushites or leopards?
Cushites were salesmans of live leopards and leopard skins all
over the ancient world. Who'd buy a spotless leopard skin? The spots
are its beauty. The Cushites skin is his beauty.

The prophet siezes on this common market connection to sound home
his point. "Would the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its
spots? (No!) Then may you also do GOOD that are accustomed to do
evil." Answering the question yes destroys the logical conlusion.
Be steadfast in doing good and don't exchange it for evil.
Be unchanging in doing good instead of flopping with the
worthlessness of evil.

J. Daniel Hays, thanks for something delightfully different in Bible
Review.

-

-

I agree on the skin and leopard part but I don't see a huge
connection between the Cushites and Arabs as far as the Biblical narrative.
I agree also that the territory of Cush if viewed in the broadest
sense, would include territory on both sides of the Red Sea which
would cover not only Arabia but Mesopotamia. hence, in Genesis 10,
Nimrod, son of Cush founded Nineveh and other important centers.
But this would be an early large scale civ building in the
most productive areas, not the deserts of Arabia, as far as I can see.
Psalm 72:10 seems to link the Canaanites, various other Gentiles, and Sheba
- the Yemen zone, not Arabia per se. As we know Yemen, and that whole zone
near the Red Sea and Horn of Africa stand by themselves as centers
of civ, long before any Arabs per se showed up. Arabs may now
dominate the area, but they are latecomers as far as the record goes.
Isaiah 43 likewise is about Seba, who is a son of Cush, and not linked
with the late-coming Arabs at that time.

Here's a modified recap from another thread re so called (and bogus)
"Curse of Ham" for the new folks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Cush/Kush brother of Mizraim which means Egypt. We know from studies
that the closest people to the Egyptians are Nubians/Sudanics, not Yemenis,
Arabs, or today's Ethiopians. 'Cush" also refers to people south of Egypt.

2) Cush/Kush means "black" in Hebrew- used sometimes in clear reference
to dark skin- "Can the Cushite or Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard
his spots?" asks Jeremiah. The use of "Cushite" is linked closer to Egypt
and Kush in the Bible generally refers to the Sudan, close to Egypt not today's
Ethiopia, or Arabia.

3) Genesis 10: Nimrod, son of Cush founded rh first large scale empires after the
Biblical flood beginning with Nineveh- so the lineage of "Cush" extends into
Yemen, Arabia, Mesopotamia with some overlap into East/NE/N Africa. So there are
2 aspects of "Cush" in the Bible. In a broad sense- Cush would take in a
vast Middle Eastern zone and parts of Africa, but this would be a very ancient
timeline, long before Arabs and their language rose to prominence.

4) Numbers 12 where they get upset at Moses wife- specifically references the
word Cushite. This might point to the Sinai - Egyptian area
near the Red SEa, the main connection/proximity being Egypt and Sinai, -
not so much Arabs. It would make sense that Moses fleeing on foot
would find refuge somewhere near Sinai rather than traveling hundreds
of miles across desert sands to head into Arabia.
"And Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Ethiopian
woman whom he had taken; for he had taken a Cushite as wife."

--Numbers 12:1

5) Acts 8- the Ethiopian chariot rider that was converted by the Apostle
Phillip was called a Cushite or "Ethiopian" who served as administrator of
the treasure of his queen- Candace. The Candaces are located in the Sudan
not the Horn- again near Egypt. It was these same Candace that won some
victories against Rome and negotiated a successfull and advantageous
peace treaty that exempted the Cushites from payingthe Romans tribute

6) Zerah the Ethiopian came out against Asa king of Judah in 2 Chronicles.
The Jewish Encyclopedia places Zerah near Egypt, indeed holding that he was
an Egyptian pharaoh (Osorkon II). The Biblical narrative says he was an Ethiopian,
literally "Cushite" as footnotes to the good, detailed translations show.
This again shows that Cush, in this context, is identified with the region
of Egypt/Nubia/Sudan.

7) The Sons of Mizraim are those renowned for handling the bow and shield- Cush, Lud etc
Jeremiah 46:9- "let the mighty men go forth: Cush and Phut that handle the shield,
and the Ludim that handle the bow."

Isa 66:19 also refers to Pul or Put and Lud "that draw the bow."

8) Per scholar David Goldenberg 2003 The Curse of Ham:
"In a description of the foreign contingents in the Egyptian army at the battle of Carchemish in 605 B.C.E, Jer 46:9 says: "Let the warriors go forth, Kush and Put who grasp the shield. And the Ludim who grasp and draw the bow.".. However because Lud is grouped with Kush in Jer 46:9 and Ezek 30:5 and because Put, whether it is to be identified with modern Somalia or Libya is in Africa, most scholars today agree that Lud too is in Africa. And just as the bows, so too the shields of the Kushites must have made an impression. Apparently their striking feature was also their size. Similarly Strabo (17.1.54) mentions the Ethiopians' long oblong shields."
--David M. Goldenberg. The Curse of Ham: Race and Slavery in Early Judaism, Christianity, and Islam

9) As Goldenberg shows the Biblical text often groups Cush, Put, Lud etc together.
They are all related- sons of Ham or sons of Mizraim (Egypt). This again leans
the weight towards the Egyptian-Sudanic side not the Horn, or Arabia.

10) The Pharaoh who came to help his Hebrew ally against the Assyrians was Shebitku,
who came from Kush (or Nubia), located in what it today northern Sudan.
He sent an expeditionary army to Jerusalem headed by his 21-year-old cousin,
Taharqa, ((2 Kings 19:9; Isaiah 37:9) Again this shows the weight of things
towards the Sudanic-Nubian-Egyptian area or zone in the Bible text..

-

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

* Nimrod did not found Nineveh. He
drove Asshur out of Shinar who went
north and did that.

* Kush doesn't mean black in Hebrew. Its
a personal/place name with derivatives.
It is not a Hebrew root. It probably
entered Hebrew from Egyptian
where in turn it probably came
from the word Qevs in an
ancient Sudan language.

The Hebrew word meaning black is
shechora as in black and beautiful.

* That Arabia only refers to modern
Saudia etc is a fallacy. Arabia Petrea
included the Araba (southernmost
Israel and Jordan) and the adjacent
sectors of Sinai.

Mythologically Abraham is the father
and Egyptian Hagar is the mother of
the Ishmaelites (al Arab ul Muta'aribah).
Keturah, considered an alias of Hagar,
is also mother to a set of Mutaribes.
Midian is her son.

The Oxford Bible Atlas places Midian
on the east side of the Gulf of Aqaba
which today is NW Saudi Arabia.

* Kush appears 27 times in TaNaKh
each of which as a place name refers
to ancient Nubia & Sudan. In one
instance Kush is the name of an
Israelite of the tribe of Benjamin.

Kushi, 29 times, is a personal name of
three Israelites including the prophet
Zephaniah, and an appellation of
three non-Israelites.

The bulk usage is for plural of ancient
Nubians & Sudanese.

One case distinguishes a set of Arabs
from neighboring Kushiym. Those
particular Arabs allied with
Palestinians against king
Jehoram.

Kushan is not in continental Africa.
It is coupled with Midian.

* Sheba and Dedan appear on both
sides of the Red Sea. The Sabaeans
(Saba) had a Two Shore Empire and
were all Arab ul Aribah or "pure"
Arabian Kushites. This would be the
Abyssinia - Yemen connection seen
historically in the Habesh and by the
Bilqis/Makeda legend both modern
countries claim as their own.

Without contrary contextual inference
Kush et all in ancient Hebrew literature
refers to continental Africa(ns) but doesn't
negate the fact that Kush also designates
Arabian tectonic plate places and people(s).

Bias against today's Arab/Arabian peoples
who themselves admit to mostly being al
Arab ul Musta'ribah will not change the
ancient record including ancient Indian
usage of Cusha Dwipa for Arabia.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

^^ website Global Egyptian museum citing KUNSTHISTORISCHES MUSEUM say this is a Syrian

But I say wrong it's Shasu >

quote:
walls at Medinet Habu.

This inscription allows us to ethnically identify Shasu by their 'national' du styling
 -

^^^ Same source says >>>

says this is a Hittite:

-

-

Wall Tile Depicting an Asian Captive
Period: New Kingdom, Ramesside Dynasty: Dynasty 20 Reign: reign of Ramesses III Date: ca. 1200–1085 B.C. Geography: Egypt, Upper Egypt; Thebes, Medinet Habu Medium: Faience[/IMG]

quote:
quote:
quote:

Now we go back to this>>>

-

Notice;

________

1) Libyan-beard

2) Nubian -dotted pattern at top of garment

3) Syrian-dotted pattern at top of garment, beard, headband holding down hair, excess strip of headband often hangs down,
hair stops at shoulders and bunches

4) Shasu-dotted pattern at top of garment, beard, headband with hair going through it

5) Hittite-hair flowing down shoulders

_________

^ Here we saw the difference in the headband of the Syrian and Shasu

Now back to this>>

-and we find correspondence with the Syrian:

dotted pattern at top of garment, beard, headband holding down hair, hair stops at shoulders and bunches

-

And back to this >>

-
supposed to be Hittite, maybe yes in this case-notably no beard

That is why I think the yellow skinned item with the arm bent over his head, right above this Hittite is Syrian

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
walls at Medinet Habu.

-

-  -
 -  -

Ramses III scribe associates
the people of Mt Seir with the
Shasu tribal confederation so
in particular we have Edomites
as in the list of my previous
post. These are far southern
Levantines bordering Arabia.

They are by no means any
kind of Syrian, peoples who
border Turkey.

-

Possible additional Shasu but identified as "Philistine" but I suspect that's wrong (see below)

-  -
Sea people, "Philistines" Egyptian relief

Tukuler
Member # 19944

That maroon complexioned guy,
I had a bookmark from Boston
Museum saying he's Philistine.

His head gear sure look Peleshti
to me. His facial features seem
different from most Philistines
and Levantine Keftiu I've seen
and his garment does too.

It's back to the art books for me
though it's no real surprise to
see the guy decked out in
Canaanite fashion. Don't
know how to distinguish
Sidon and Tyre K*naani
from non-Phoenicians
by national costume.

This is well worth looking
into because museums
don't always get it right.
I caught OIC labeling
Lydians to be Syrian
instead of LeukSyrian

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Based on the Peleset inscriptions, it has been suggested that the Casluhite Philistines formed part of the conjectured "Sea Peoples" who repeatedly attacked Egypt during the later Nineteenth Dynasty.[

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/sea.htm

^^ various sea people and other Asiatics described, incl more obscure groups

PELESET PHILISTINE

-

Of special importance in this relief from Medinet Habu is the portrayal among the Egyptian forces of a mixed group of mercenaries drawn from the Sea Peoples. They include Sherden wearing disk-and-horns-topped helmets and probably the Peleset with their feather-topped helmets.In this rare relief, details remain of the small round shields of the Sherden with small round metal studs embroidered on the leather and wood of which the shield was more likely made. These shields and the bosses show similarity with the ones attested in some very Late Bronze Age Achaeans graves or represented on LH IIIC pottery

PELESET (Pw-r-s-ty)

One of the most significant groups among the Sea Peoples who attacked Egypt in the fifth and eighth year of Ramesses III is the Peleset. This ethnonym, which has no earlier occurrence in the Egyptian sources, has been identified with the Biblical Philistines by Jean-François Champollion soon after his decipherment of Egyptian hieroglyphic. Now, the Philistines are generally considered newcomers in the Levant, settling in their pentapolis consisting of the towns Asdod, Askelon, Gaza, Ekron, and Gath at the time of the upheavals of the Sea Peoples. In the Medinet Habu relief Ramesses III fights against the Peleset both in the sea and in the land battles. Indeed in the battles against the Lybians some warriors which may be identified as Peleset have been recruited (together the Sherden) in the Ramesses III army. In the Papyrus Harris, Ramesses III claims to have settled the vanquished Sea Peoples, among which our Peleset or Philistines, in strongholds bound in his name. This has induced some scholars to assume that the settlement of the Philistines in Canaan took place under Egyptian supervision. Furthermore, the continuity of Egyptian influence in the hinterland of the Philistine pentapolis might suggest to us that the Egyptian pharaoh maintained a nominal claim on the land conquered by the Philistines and considered them as vassals guarding his frontiers. After their settlement in Palestine, the Philistines rose to a position of power in the region owing to their military superiority over the local population, as exemplified by the famous engagement between David and Goliath – which the first mentioned miraculously won against all odds.

SYRIAN

-
 -

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^ Remarkable, they all have the same complexion.

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
 -

Shekelesh or Shasu?
Edward F. Wente
Journal of Near Eastern Studies
Vol. 22, No. 3 (Jul., 1963), pp. 167-172

http://www.jstor.org/stable/543157?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Journal of Near Eastern Studies

Volume 22, Number 3 | Jul., 1963

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/toc/jnes/1963/22/3

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Shekelesh or Shasu?
G. A. Wainwright
The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology
Vol. 50 (Dec., 1964), pp. 40-46
Published by: Egypt Exploration Society
DOI: 10.2307/3855741
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3855741
Page Count: 7

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3855741?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

-  -

SHEKELESH (S'-r'-rw-s')

The Sea Peoples group known as the Shekelesh are one of the less well-known and obscure groups.Not much is known about them and they are only mentioned in passing in the ancient texts, such as the annals of Ramesess III from his mortuary temple at Medinet Habu and the Ugaritic Texts.The group is also mentioned in the Kom el-Ahmar Stela from the reign of Merneptah. The Shekelesh officially make an appearance around 1220 BC attacking Egypt and again in 1186 BC invading the Delta. One of the earliest accounts of the Shekelesh occurs early in the reign of the pharaoh Merneptah.In the beginning of his fifth year of rule, the pharaoh had to face off with a Libyan invasion; which he boasts of his victory in his annals at Karnak. When Merneptah confronted his enemy, he not only faced one hostile tribe, but a alliance of Sea People groups, which consisted of the Meshwesh, the people of the island Kos, and the Lycians, who were the major forces and urged smaller tribes like the Sherden, Trysenoi, and the Shekelesh to assist in the fight against the Egyptians. Although Ramessess III gives the impression that he has completely eradicated the enemy, the Sea People groups were still a major threat in the Mediterranean. The Harris Papyrus is an important account because it seems to indicate that the Shekelesh were used as garrison forces and mercenaries by Ramessess III, along with other Sea People groups. As already mentioned also the Sheklesh together the Ekwesh, and Sherden were circumcised as states in the Great Karnak inscription of the Pharaoh Merneptah
The reliefs and inscriptions at Medinet Habu are the most famous and well-known source for references to the Sea Peoples. The annals here give the most detailed account of the Sea Peoples, but only mention the Shekelesh briefly. However we are able to get a glimpse of what a Shekelesh soldier would have looked like and what accoutrements accompanied him into battle. Of the others, the Shekelesh (and the Teresh) wear cloth headdresses and a medallion on their breasts, and carry two spears and a round shield; their place of origin has been considered to be Sagalassos in Pisidia. Some scholars, such as N.K. Sandars, believe that the Shekelesh came from southeast Sicily. Indeed from other sources we learn that the "Sikeloy" were not the original inhabitants of Sicily, but migrated there from peninsular Italy. In the 8th century Greek colonists came across a group of people known as the Sikels on the island, which they believed had come from Italy after the Trojan War. Although not much is known about the Shekelesh, it is clear that they were an important element in the invasion of the Sea Peoples and played an important role in the military conquests of the coalition.I view this group as a strong and proud group of people, despite the fact that they are a more or less obscure group, mentioned infrequently in ancient texts.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

-  -

SHEKELESH (S'-r'-rw-s')

-  -

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/boston/artefacts/pages/boston_03_2006%201687%2002.htm

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008992

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
 -

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Close up, Baal Hammon.

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

without the lighting tricks

Tukuler
Member # 19944

If you tilt your screen
the Lioness image
will show the same
as the Ish Gebor one.

Ain't a case like them
DM filters and angles

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
The verb בעל (ba'al) means to exercise dominion over, or to be lord over. One group of usages deals with a man "marrying" a woman, and it should be noted that men marry women by means of the verb בעל (ba'al) but not the other way around (Genesis 20:3, Isaiah 54:1). The other, smaller, group of usages deals with owning or ruling something (Isaiah 26:13).

The derivatives of this verb are:

The ubiquitous masculine noun בעל (ba'al) meaning owner (Exodus 21:28, Isaiah 1:3), husband (Genesis 20:3, Hosea 2:18), citizen (of Jericho: Joshua 24:11; of Arnon: Numbers 21:28; of Shechem: Judges 9:2), ruler (Isaiah 16:8). The noun בעל (ba'al) is also used in a kind of proverbial sense, in playful constructions that emphasizes a certain characteristic of someone: בעל אף (ba'al ap), literally meaning lord of the snort: someone who easily gets angry (Proverbs 22:24), or בעל החכמה (ba'al hahochma), lord of the wisdoms (Ecclesiastes 7:12).
The feminine noun בעלה (ba'ala), pretty much the female equivalent of the masculine counterpart, except that it can never mean wife. It's used once in the sense of lady-boss (1 Kings 17:17), and twice in constructions: בעלה אוב (ba'ala ob), "mistress of the ghost" or necromancer (1 Samuel 28:7), and בעלה כשפים (ba'ala keshepim), mistress of the witchcrafts (Nahum 3:4).

quote:
The god Baal Hammon enthroned

Flanked by lions, Baal Hammon, one of the chief deities of Carthage, is seated on his throne with a crown on his head. Baal means 'lord', but the meaning of the word Hammon is not entirely clear. In Hebrew/Phoenician it translates as 'fiery', 'burning' or 'brazier', in Punic as 'a multitude'. Baal Hammon is associated with the sky, war and fertility.

• date: 1st century AD
  • height: 38 cm
  • material: terracotta
  • found at: Tinissut
  • collection: Musée national du Bardo, Tunesia
  • photo: Rijksmuseum van Oudheden

http://www.rmo.nl/english/exhibitions/archive/carthage/highlights/god-baal-hammon
Tukuler
Member # 19944

I once owned a book on Phoenicia
that still had the sphinx heads and
they were certainly in contrast to
Lord Ammon himself.

Speculation:
Amun
Ammon
Baal Hammon
Jupiter Ammon ;
relationship.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com