EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Egyptian goverment services

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian goverment services
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the process of writing a short story set in the southern Egyptian frontier sometime between the Middle Kingdom and Second Intermediate Period. My protagonist is a young runaway Kushite princess who finds a camp of "undocumented" Arab immigrants devastated by the Egyptians, with the survivors captured and held in detention at one of the Egyptian border forts. The story will basically be about her struggle to rescue the migrants from a fate of deportation or enslavement.

Now, one of the excuses the Egyptians give for capturing and deported these "undocumented" migrants is that they believe them to be parasites mooching off the Egyptian government's services without paying taxes themselves (since they would not be registered as citizens). This means I have to ask, did the ancient Egyptian government perform services to its population likempdern governments do? For example, did the Pharaoh dole out bread to poor and needy people? Keep in mind that I am not talking about symbolic or religious services (e.g. the rainmaker king thing) but practical and material ones that they wouldn't want undocumented immigrants to take advantage of.

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, they had food stamps made of papyrus
(Howell, 1974)

Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com