EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Chanhu-daro Lady: Implications for African Influence in Indus Civilization?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Chanhu-daro Lady: Implications for African Influence in Indus Civilization?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you guys discussed this topic yet. I searched for it in the achives and didn't see it so here is the 2012 paper:

Were There Commercial Communications between Prehistoric
Harappans and African Populations?

Chanhu-daro was one of the major cities of the Harappan or Indus civilization.

-

One elite grave in the area yielded remains displaying African morphometic features. This is just one of several lines of evidence indicating a major trading network comprising centers of civilization in India, Arabia, and Africa!

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew how to take this paper. It's a known fact that, out of all living Eurasians, Indians and some other dark skinned Asians resemble Nile Valley populations the most. Because of this, I think metric data will only be of limited use (since there is already a likeness). Still, the cultural links are interesting and I commend the authors for being open minded.
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNATribes made it clear the Neolithics encountered ancestors of populations related to Yoruban as the migrated into the Indus Valley over 5000years ago. Sources cited.

Also...
Quote:
examined in detail, but are consistent with previous clustering analysis of these populations [7,20,21]. These include migration ***from*** Africa to the Makrani and Brahui in Central Asia (w~5%) and from a population related to East Asians and Native Americans (which we interpret as likely Siberian) to Russia (w~11%). Two inferred edges were unexpected. First, perhaps the most surprising inference is that Cambodians trace about 16% of their ancestry to a population equally related

Read more: [URL=http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com[/URL]

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't even bother with the Winters theoretical rubbish. NOBODY in academia acknowledges Dravidian as African for the obvious fact that it's NOT.

The finding I'm talking about concerns a single individual who displays African-like traits of the cranium. This plus certain African cultural patterns of jewelry and even sorghum suggests ties via trade and IF this individual is African, then small scale settlement.

For the past several decades, archaeologists have uncovered evidence of a Bronze Age global trade.

-

And unlike Vedic India, the Harappan Culture had a thriving maritime economy via ports on the coasts of the Arabian sea.

Oh, and I concur with Swenet. Unlike some other folks I'm not jumping to the conclusion that the Chanhu-daro Lady is African without further proof. He's right that early Indus folk show a variety of phenotypes including tropically adapted traits similar to Africans.

That said, IF the lady is not native but a foreign immigrant I also suggest another theory that the authors in the paper didn't take into account.

-

^ Considering that the Harappans' closest trading partner by sea was not any African polity but rather Arabian, would it be just as plausible that the lady could come from Arabia??

I base this on the simple fact that early Arabian skulls also displayed strong African charactersics, especially individuals from southern Arabia from Yemen to Oman, the latter incidentally was a trading partner of Harappa.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does Winters always spam his junk science....egotistical much.
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Don't even bother with the Winters theoretical rubbish. NOBODY in academia acknowledges Dravidian as African for the obvious fact that it's NOT.

The finding I'm talking about concerns a single individual who displays African-like traits of the cranium. This plus certain African cultural patterns of jewelry and even sorghum suggests ties via trade and IF this individual is African, then small scale settlement.

For the past several decades, archaeologists have uncovered evidence of a Bronze Age global trade.

-

And unlike Vedic India, the Harappan Culture had a thriving maritime economy via ports on the coasts of the Arabian sea.

Oh, and I concur with Swenet. Unlike some other folks I'm not jumping to the conclusion that the Chanhu-daro Lady is African without further proof. He's right that early Indus folk show a variety of phenotypes including tropically adapted traits similar to Africans.

That said, IF the lady is not native but a foreign immigrant I also suggest another theory that the authors in the paper didn't take into account.

-

^ Considering that the Harappans' closest trading partner by sea was not any African polity but rather Arabian, would it be just as plausible that the lady could come from Arabia??

I base this on the simple fact that early Arabian skulls also displayed strong African charactersics, especially individuals from southern Arabia from Yemen to Oman, the latter incidentally was a trading partner of Harappa.

Yes. The bigger picture here is that there was a lot more contacts between Africa, Arabia and India in antiquity than most European scholars are acknowledging. This even extends into the era of the Persians and the Periplus of the Erythrean (Eritrean Sea) which documents some of these ancient trading posts in East Africa.
Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:

Why does Winters always spam his junk science....egotistical much.

Yes, he is as much egotistical as he is foolish which is why I find it better to ignore him.
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

Yes. The bigger picture here is that there was a lot more contacts between Africa, Arabia and India in antiquity than most European scholars are acknowledging. This even extends into the era of the Persians and the Periplus of the Erythrean (Eritrean Sea) which documents some of these ancient trading posts in East Africa.

But that's the problem-- most scholars only focus on early global trade during the time of great empires like the Persians and Alexander's Hellenistic Empire. Yet archaeologists have long noted such a trade going back to the Bronze Age if not the Neolithic. Most studies I've read only focus on segments of this trade network i.e. Egypt's trade with the Levant and the Levant's trade with Mesopotamia but the extent was greater. Funny how Western scholars only seem to focus on the extent when the Euroepan Aegean is involved being a middleman to the rest of Europe as far as the British Isles.

Anyway, if my theory that this Africoid woman could be an early Arabian I need more info on early populations of this region. Times like this I wich Dana was around for some input.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhat off-topic but here is an interesting book on a ‘forgotten chapter’ of Red Sea/Indian Ocean region history. I've been eyeing this for some time.

-
https://www.amazon.com/Throne-Adulis-Islam-Emblems-Antiquity/dp/0199739323

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ The book looks interesting. Little known fact: Christiandom was much greater in both size and scope in Africa than it was in Europe-- from the Maghreb to Libya, Egypt, Sudan, and the Horn. Unfortunately Islam wiped out much of this vibrant culture. The Christianity most of us are familiar with is the European Christiandom that survived the Islamic onslaught.

Getting back to the topic, Swenet what do you think about the possibility that the Chanhu-daro lady was an Arabian?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Not according to linguistics, genetics, and pretty much every other field. LOL Why do you think the authors of the study I cite in this very thread put forth the conjecture that an Indus Valley woman could be of recent African ancestry??! [Roll Eyes]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^ From the study:
Earlier studies of the dental features of Indus Civilization crania support the hypothesis that ancient populations settled along the Indus and Ravi Rivers were indigenous and not derived from some invading outside populations (Hawkey, 1998, 2004). That is the Harappan populations showed revealed close genetic similarities to earlier hunting-gathering populations or the Veddas of Sri Lanka this value is 0.086...

So the founding populations were indigenous to India and NOT incoming Africans; however it goes on to say...

Dental phenotypic variables also indicate that
gene flow between the Indus region and Egypt (MMD = 0.124) and values for the ancient Kingdom of Nubia (MMD = 0.088) suggests that these values were applicable at the times of the Mature and post Harappan phases (Hawkey, 1998, 2004)...

Thus there was not only trade but some intermingling of peoples from outside the subcontinent, particularly allegedly Africa.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
And we have this:

-

-

The maritime trade linking ancient India to Mesopotamia is documented by historical records, and by archaeology. There is also evidence that this intercourse extended down the eastern coast of Arabia to the mouth of the Red Sea (Wright, 2011). The clearest of these indicators is the presence of African millets in the subcontinent in prehistoric times, which has been discussed for a number of years (Mehra, 1963; Vishnu-Mittre, 1974) (Figure 11). The principal large seed summer grasses in South Asia are sorghum or jowar (Sorghum bicolor), pearl millet or bajra (Pennisetum typhoides) and finger millet (Elleusine coracana). All are endemic across a broad band of sub-Saharan Africa, that has its eastern terminus in Ethiopia and the mouth of the Red Sea (Figure 11). Botanists, interested in the history of domestication, have discussed this in a number of places (Harlan & Stemler, 1976; Harlen, deWet, & Stemler, 1976; Harlen, 1992) and it appears to be an established fact. Harlan (1992) has produced two maps that are important to understanding the domestication and spread of sorghum and pearl millet. On the first map, circles indicate location of wild pearl millet, Pennisetum violaceum; dark shading indicates the northern pearl millet belt; light shading indicates areas in which pearl millet is grown, but in which sorghum is the dominent crop. Sorghum is present at the site of Hili 8 in Oman. It comes from Phase IIe, which can be dated to 2330-2250 BC (Cleuziou & Costantini, 1980) who wrote that sorghum was probably cultivated around Hili. Costantini (1990) has also documented the presence of these millets in Yemen at sites dated to the second half of the third millennium BC. These same three millets are all documented in India and Pakistan at sites dated from 2400 to 1800 BC (Possehl, 1997). These include Hulas, Rohira, Rojdi B and C, Rangpur III, Babar Kot, Surkotada and Daimmabad (Possehl,1997, 2002)

I find it funny how Western academia is so keen on stressing the introduction of agricultural domesticates into Africa (via Egypt) of wheat but never African domesticates into Eurasia. However according to this paper and a few others I've read the introduction of African millet into India was a gradual process whereby the millet likely came into India from Arabia.

Neolithic of South Arabia
The Neolithic site of Ibn Hamuda (Phase II) found on the Yemen-Oman border, stretches for over 1 km. along a now fossilized river system leading into the Rub al Khali. This site has yielded an enormous number of pounders, abraders, pestles, and mortars. These items found at Rub al Khali sites suggest an emphasis on plant processing, perhaps domestic varieties of sorghums and millets as well as cereals such as barley and wheat.

This is one reason why I think the Chanhu-daro Lady could very well be an early Arabian as much as or even more likely than an African.

By the way, it's very likely that millets were domesticated somewhere in the Sahel.

-

-

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
^ The book looks interesting. Little known fact: Christiandom was much greater in both size and scope in Africa than it was in Europe-- from the Maghreb to Libya, Egypt, Sudan, and the Horn. Unfortunately Islam wiped out much of this vibrant culture. The Christianity most of us are familiar with is the European Christiandom that survived the Islamic onslaught.

Getting back to the topic, Swenet what do you think about the possibility that the Chanhu-daro lady was an Arabian?

My bad for my late reaction. I never really got back to this thread. Do you mean Arabian as in African (e.g. 'Semitic') or as in Asian?

IMO, one thing we really need at this point from the Indus Valley is ancient DNA. What we've seen so far with aDNA is that cranio-facial exteriors that don't seem to be hybrid can 'hide' more than one ancestry component. Meaning, this individual can literally be a mix of all of the above (i.e. Arabian + recent African + Indian) while we're on here thinking in either/or scenarios.

Speaking of ancient Arabs, any new stuff on Persian Gulf oasis people? I know you've been following Rose's stuff closely. With ancient Arabs having literally lived in the Persian Gulf for so long, you're right to not dismiss any possibility as far as who these people were.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
^Correction: it should be 'ancient Arabians'—not "ancient Arabs".
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:

The Dravidians and Africans used a common black-and-red pottery, which spread from Nubia, through modern Ethiopia, Arabia, Iran into India as a result of the Proto-Saharan dispersal. B.B. Lal a leading Indian archaeologist has observed that the black and red ware (BRW) dating to the Kerma dynasty of Nubia, is related to the Dravidian megalithic pottery.

Singh believes that this pottery radiated from Nubia to India. This pottery along with wavy-line pottery is associated with the Saharo-Sudanese pottery tradition of ancient Africa . Pottery from Dar Tichitt has millet impressions upon it.

The earliest evidence of bulrush millet cultivation comes from the Tilemsi Valley;. This millet dates back to 2500BC.

In relation to millet cultivation in Africa and India it is interesting to note that African and Dravidian languages share similar terms for millet, and the Paleo-Dravido-African terms for millet was *sona, *kora and *tena (Winters, 2000). The linguistic evidence indicate that Africans and Dravidians used hoes to cultivate millet. The Paleo- Dravido-African term for hoe was probably *ba(r)/ pa (r ) .

Black-topped redware pottery is one of the most common types of pottery of neolithic cultures worldwide.

-

Romanian
 -

Cyprus
 -

Japan
 -

The material in common to all of them is red clay which is then burned at certain temperatures.

As for Dravidians, I just cited a part of the study showing that by and large the Harappans show continuity with the paleolithic hunter-gatherers and NOT Africans and linguistically, Dravidian shows no genetic ties with African languages. Though your example of millet may very well show influence.

Akachi, your examples are even more pathetic and atrocious. Dravidian is NOT African and the Egyptian concept of waret (rearing cobra) on the brow of the king is not found in India. Ancient Indian deities like Shive wore snakes in his hair but that is not the same thing and NO the Sanskrit word naga simply means cobra and has no relation to African languages.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:

My bad for my late reaction. I never really got back to this thread. Do you mean Arabian as in African (e.g. 'Semitic') or as in Asian?

I mean Arabians in general from the neolithic to Bronze Age. As far as what languages they spoke, it is still a mystery. We know from past threads that Semitic was quickly adopted in the Arabian Peninsula though other languages may have lingered for some time. I have only read one or two sources years ago which mention "negroid" traits among these remains. All the other sources merely resort to calling them "mediterranean" types. Though I have come across a few recent sources with interesting findings.

quote:
IMO, one thing we really need at this point from the Indus Valley is ancient DNA. What we've seen so far with aDNA is that cranio-facial exteriors that don't seem to be hybrid can 'hide' more than one ancestry component. Meaning, this individual can literally be a mix of all of the above (i.e. Arabian + recent African + Indian) while we're on here thinking in either/or scenarios.
I agree which is why I won't hold my breath or jump to any conclusions without solid DNA evidence.

quote:
Speaking of ancient Arabs, any new stuff on Persian Gulf oasis people? I know you've been following Rose's stuff closely. With ancient Arabs having literally lived in the Persian Gulf for so long, you're right to not dismiss any possibility as far as who these people were.
I'm trying to contact Dana about any sources from her end, but so far I have been looking into archaeological sites in what is today the UAE and Oman. There is one site in particular called Jebel al Buhais which looks interesting. It is a neolithic cemetary of hunters and fishers who were transitioning to the neolithic. So far all the studies about the remains assess health and I have yet to find population comparison and relation studies.

-
 -

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing info.^

Ps, I will notify her, so she can contact you.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I mean Arabians in general from the neolithic to Bronze Age. As far as what languages they spoke, it is still a mystery. We know from past threads that Semitic was quickly adopted in the Arabian Peninsula though other languages may have lingered for some time. I have only read one or two sources years ago which mention "negroid" traits among these remains. All the other sources merely resort to calling them "mediterranean" types. Though I have come across a few recent sources with interesting findings.

quote:
I agree which is why I won't hold my breath or jump to any conclusions without solid DNA evidence.

quote:
I'm trying to contact Dana about any sources from her end, but so far I have been looking into archaeological sites in what is today the UAE and Oman. There is one site in particular called Jebel al Buhais which looks interesting. It is a neolithic cemetary of hunters and fishers who were transitioning to the neolithic. So far all the studies about the remains assess health and I have yet to find population comparison and relation studies.

http://www.kernsverlag.com/sites/default/files/styles/really_large/public/cover_pics/KEV_AJB_Uerpmann_Buhais_Vol1.jpg?itok=_9S2c-t3
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/86/ed/7a/86ed7a60743ed52082316b8e67f69a09.jpg

According to some linguists, incoming Semitic speakers were preceded in Arabia by groups who already spoke some form of Afroasiatic:

quote:
Having identified a Cushitic-like substratum in Modern South Arabian, Militarev (1984, 18-
19; cf. also Belova 2003) proposes that Cushites originally lived throughout the Arabian
Peninsula
; thus they would be the original southern neighbors of the Semites, who then
assimilated those Cushites who did not move into Ethiopia.

In Bronze Age Mesopotamia Semitic speakers were also beaten to the punch:

quote:
Lexical parallels connecting Afroasiatic with Near Eastern languages which cannot be
explained from Semitic
: Sumerian-Afroasiatic lexical parallels indicating an Afroasiatic substratum in
Sumerian (Militarev 1995).

https://www.phil.muni.cz/jazyk/files/AAmigrationsCORR.pdf

Of course, these are just some groups and this doesn't preclude the existence of Asiatic groups in Bronze Age Arabia. Also, on the subject of skeletal analysis of Arabian samples, you can google 'RH5 Oman Hamra'. I can't search for the document right now as I'm running out of time. But there is a non metric dental study that concludes that this Arabian sample has affinities with North African samples.

BTW, the author of the link above doesn't support an African origin for Afroasiatic. Just putting that out there because the author used those observations to argue for a non-African origin of Afroasiatic. Don't want to create the impression that the author agrees with me in this regard.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

According to some linguists, incoming Semitic speakers were preceded in Arabia by groups who already spoke some form of Afroasiatic:

quote:
Having identified a Cushitic-like substratum in Modern South Arabian, Militarev (1984, 18-
19; cf. also Belova 2003) proposes that Cushites originally lived throughout the Arabian
Peninsula
; thus they would be the original southern neighbors of the Semites, who then
assimilated those Cushites who did not move into Ethiopia.

In Bronze Age Mesopotamia Semitic speakers were also beaten to the punch:

quote:
Lexical parallels connecting Afroasiatic with Near Eastern languages which cannot be
explained from Semitic
: Sumerian-Afroasiatic lexical parallels indicating an Afroasiatic substratum in
Sumerian (Militarev 1995).

https://www.phil.muni.cz/jazyk/files/AAmigrationsCORR.pdf

Of course, these are just some groups and this doesn't preclude the existence of Asiatic groups in Bronze Age Arabia. Also, on the subject of skeletal analysis of Arabian samples, you can google 'RH5 Oman Hamra'. I can't search for the document right now as I'm running out of time. But there is a non metric dental study that concludes that this Arabian sample has affinities with North African samples.

BTW, the author of the link above doesn't support an African origin for Afroasiatic. Just putting that out there because the author used those observations to argue for a non-African origin of Afroasiatic. Don't want to create the impression that the author agrees with me in this regard.

No need to tell me. I am very familiar with Alexander Militarev and his work and yes I read his paper on the Cushitic-like substratum in Modern South Arabian years ago which he holds as his proof that Afrasian originated in Southwest Asia as opposed to Africa. The problem with his supposition however is if you recall Tukuler's thread here, Epigraphic South Arabian writings show the presence of other unknown non-Semitic languages including one from Marib which has features closely resembling Nilo-Saharan languages of Eritrea! So going by Militarev's logic Nilo-Saharan could have just as likely originated in Southwest Asia. LOL Which reminds me that I also think there were languages of other African phyla that were once spoken in Southwest Asia.

I will look into'RH5 Oman Hamra' it sounds very interesting, and I am not at all surprised by early Arabians having dental features in common with North Africa.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@DJ

quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
Late Pleistocene/Holocene human populations transition in Old World: the analysis of morphological dental traits.

A. Coppa1,3, F. Candilio1, A. Cucina2, F. Demeter3, A. Kutterer4, M. Lucci1, F. Manni3,A. Oujaa5, S.
Roudesli-Chebbi6, R. Vargiu1.

The Pleistocene/Holocene transition was marked by a profound shift in nutritional patterns. Such change, alongside with human demic movements, altered the genetic background of the Old World population. The biological relationships among Upper Paleolithic and Neolithic African, European and Asian human groups have been analyzed by means of morphological dental traits that have proved to be highly discriminant in phenetic analyses among populations because of their abundance, strong hereditary component and low environmental influence. In the present study, we analyzed the frequency of 49 morphological dental traits (26 maxillary and 22 mandibular) in 18,377 teeth from 3,918 specimens divided in 20 groups (9 belonging to the Final Pleistocene from North Africa, Middle East, South East Asia and Europe, and 11 to the Holocene from North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Arabia, SouthEast Asia and Europe). The relationships between these groups were assessed applying the standard statistical techniques used in the analysis of genetic data (MMD, Multidimensional Scaling, Maximum Likelihood, Principal Components and Cluster analysis), which produced similar outputs. Preliminary results indicate homogeneity among the Upper Paleolithic and Neolithic samples from Europe, Middle East, North and Sub-Saharan Africa. In contrast, the Iberomaurusians of Afalou and Taforalt form a separate cluster together with the Saharan Neolithics and the Neolithics from Ras al Hamra 5 in the Sultanate of Oman. As regards the south-eastern Asian groups (Cambodia and Vietnam), the Neolithics present similarities with their European and African coevals, while the Paleolithic groups tend to present some degree of divergence.

There is more, but, unfortunately, I can't find the other stuff right now. I was barely able to find this.

I completely forgot about those South Arabian documents. Very useful.  -

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^ Clyde, no matter how many times you repeat a lie does not make it true. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

@DJ

quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
Late Pleistocene/Holocene human populations transition in Old World: the analysis of morphological dental traits.

A. Coppa1,3, F. Candilio1, A. Cucina2, F. Demeter3, A. Kutterer4, M. Lucci1, F. Manni3,A. Oujaa5, S.
Roudesli-Chebbi6, R. Vargiu1.

The Pleistocene/Holocene transition was marked by a profound shift in nutritional patterns. Such change, alongside with human demic movements, altered the genetic background of the Old World population. The biological relationships among Upper Paleolithic and Neolithic African, European and Asian human groups have been analyzed by means of morphological dental traits that have proved to be highly discriminant in phenetic analyses among populations because of their abundance, strong hereditary component and low environmental influence. In the present study, we analyzed the frequency of 49 morphological dental traits (26 maxillary and 22 mandibular) in 18,377 teeth from 3,918 specimens divided in 20 groups (9 belonging to the Final Pleistocene from North Africa, Middle East, South East Asia and Europe, and 11 to the Holocene from North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Arabia, SouthEast Asia and Europe). The relationships between these groups were assessed applying the standard statistical techniques used in the analysis of genetic data (MMD, Multidimensional Scaling, Maximum Likelihood, Principal Components and Cluster analysis), which produced similar outputs. Preliminary results indicate homogeneity among the Upper Paleolithic and Neolithic samples from Europe, Middle East, North and Sub-Saharan Africa. In contrast, the Iberomaurusians of Afalou and Taforalt form a separate cluster together with the Saharan Neolithics and the Neolithics from Ras al Hamra 5 in the Sultanate of Oman. As regards the south-eastern Asian groups (Cambodia and Vietnam), the Neolithics present similarities with their European and African coevals, while the Paleolithic groups tend to present some degree of divergence.

There is more, but, unfortunately, I can't find the other stuff right now. I was barely able to find this.

I completely forgot about those South Arabian documents. Very useful.  -

I found the paper on the Ras al-Hamra graveyard here.

Very telling.

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
up...
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this thread because of the great discussion me and Swenet had on South Asian anthropology but also because a great thread like this was ruined by nonsensical derailment.
-__-

All Clyde's posts and the other derailing drivel have been removed. Take that crap to the Deshret. Clyde(and that goes to others who were also guilty of this) ruin this thread again and watch what happens.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Completely forgot about this thread.

quote:
I found the paper on the Ras al-Hamra graveyard here.

Very telling.

- [/qb]

[Eek!] . Completely missed this book page and the fact that you bumped this thread. Will take it all in, then respond,

These descriptions of the morphological features of RH5 skeletal remains (which I hadn't come across yet) are just another indication that Arabia is not a refugium of Basal Eurasians, independent of African migrations as many are expecting.

BTW, "sitting on the heels" presumably means squatting.

-

Bone changes associated with frequent squatting is associated with ancient Semitic people and therefore likely also other ancient Afroasiatic people.

quote:
[Shuqbah Natufians] were clearly a Negroid people, said Sir Arthur, with wide faces flat- noses and long large heads.
They were short of stature 5 feet 3 or 4 inches tall-and their thighs and legs were remarkably strong. While their arms and shoulders were weak.

^Notice that it says that their legs were robust, while their arms were gracile. This description of robusticity on the femora and tibia of Shuqbah Natufians could have the same cause (i.e. habitual squatting).
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
I have not forgotten about this thread. Just letting it sit and in my mind for a while. I will come back to it when I have something meaningful to share other than disjointed snippets. I do want to post the quote below, because it concerns an OOA migration most people don't know about, that is relevant to a lot of ongoing conversations. Will elaborate later.

quote:
A total of six sequences were classified as subha-
plogroup L3x1, from which one was further classified as
L3x1b. These sequences formed a clade with sequences
from the Horn of Africa (with Israeli sample EU092666
identified by Behar et al. (2008) as an Ethiopian Jew)
(Fig. 2b). This subhaplogroup also contained a monophy-
letic clade of three Yemeni sequences dating to 13.7 kya

(95% HPD: 7.3–20.5 kya; Table 1). The estimated age for
the whole subhaplogroup was dated to 28.9 kya (95%
HPD: 19.0–39.5 kya; Table 1).

Bayesian analyses of Yemeni mitochondrial genomes suggest multiple migration events with Africa and Western Eurasia
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/ajpa.22890

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com