EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » A Conversation On Nehesy-The Nubian Pharoah And The Definition Of The Term /nHsy/ “Nu

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Conversation On Nehesy-The Nubian Pharoah And The Definition Of The Term /nHsy/ “Nu
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://rapgod.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/a-conversation-on-nehesy-the-nubian-pharoah/

A Conversation On Nehesy-The Nubian Pharoah And The Definition Of The Term /nHsy/ “Nubian”

Posted on December 5, 2012 by Aethiops Neo Matamoros

A conversation continues about the definition of the Ancient Egyptian word /nHsy/ “Nehesy”. It is my contention that /nHsy/ Nehesy means or corresponds with the modern term Nubian. The opponents of this view state A.) “the meaning [of Nehesy] is obscure among early Egyptologists”, B.) “The word /nHsy/ CANNOT mean Nubian since the “Nubians” had NO concept of NUBIA, other wise there would have been a state called NUBIA.”

I’ve responded to the claims with the following Egyptological Dictionaries;

Aldof Erman Wb II S 303 /nHsj/ Nubia.
Alan Gardiner page 575 /nHsy/ Nubian.
E.A Wallis Budge p.389 Nehsi-Negro
Raymond Faulkner p. 137 /nHsy/ Nubian

In refutation of the second fold of latter claim I presented /tA nHsy/ “Nehesy Land” which was a “state”, with “cities”.

Examining /tA nHsy/ TA Nehesy in primary documents one can confirm there was a time that /tA nHsy/ TA Nehesy was its own state, rich in gold, a state individual of /kAs/ Kush, which was an entirely different kingdom. To show and prove /tA nHsy/ being a state I point to The Boundary Stele of Senwoset III. This document confirm borders that were set by Ancient Egyptians, and not by European Egyptologist. The word used for boarder in this inscription was /tAS/. A “Tash” is a boundary (Faulkner p.294). We can confirm this by reading mdw nTr. The southern border of Kemet was called the /tAS rsi/ Tash resy, lit. Boundary South. This board was expanded and withdrawn at different points in history as African tribes of /tA nHsy/TA Nehesy struggled against, or employed diplomacy with another African tribe who referred to themselves as /rmT/ “Remetch, ”people, i.e People of Kemet. It was mainly because of Nubian Gold that the borders of Nubia expanded and retracted over the course of history.

“The existence of gold in Nubia “may have been one of the main reasons for the colonization of Sudan by the ancient Egyptians,” said Salah Mohammed Ahmed, the head of Sudan’s antiquities agency.

Herodotus said Egyptians colonized “most of the civilized Mediterranean world”. (Berossus and Genesis, Manetho and Exodus: Hellenistic Histories and the Date By Russell Gmirkin P.35)

Before presenting sources to prove what /nHsy/ means, I want all to look at a translation by James Henry Breasted to prove borders existed;

1 Southern boundary, made in the year 8, under the majesty of the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, Khekuer, who is given life forever 2 and ever; in order to prevent that any negro should cross it, by water or 3 by land, with a ship, (or) any herds 4 of the negro; except a negro who shall come to do trading in Iken, 5 or with a commission. Every good thing shall be done with them, but without allowing 6 a ship of the negro to pass Heh, going downstream, forever.

J. H. Breasted, Ancient Records of Egypt, Part One, § 652f.

Here is a copy of the stele to read in mdw nTr.Stele of Senwoset III

Here is a complete analysis of The Boundry Stele of Senwoset III Senwoset III Analysis

The first thing to note is that YES, Egyptologist are guilty of dishonestly and deviously mislabeling the term /nHs/ to mean Negro, and then using the distinction found in primary documents between /rmT/remetch and /nHsy/ nehesy as evidence of Egyptians being other that Africans. /rmT/ remetch were just another tribe than /nHsy/ Nehesy. The European misuse of primary documents is not even reasonable when one obtains the proper knowledge of how to read Hieroglyphs. Nevertheless the distinction between these two African tribes was drawn by /rmT/ remetch and /nHsy/ nehesy themselves. I ponder if this was possibly the reason why the parents of the pharaoh Nehesy named him Nehesy, to affirm what we call “Nubian rule” in the land of the Remetch in 14th Dynasty. Read of Nehesy the Pharaoh of the 14th Dynasty. Nehesy The Pharoah

One could propose that in the 14th dynasty the borders of Kemet were pushed in so far that /tA nHsy/ enveloped Kemet in the same way The Kushite Kingdom of the 25th Dynasty pushed the boarded for Kush in to envelope Kemet for the second time in history. We must also understand that Manetho coined the term “dynasty” to indicate a “family of rule”. Judging from this and deducing from the name of the pharaoh Nehesy we can conclude that Nehesy’s family was of the /nHsy/ Nehesy People of /tA nHsy/ TA Nahesy. This appears to be common sense. Also this elementary understanding of the nature of the relations between the people of /tA nHsy/ Ta Nehesey and the /rmT/ remetch “Egyptians” is fundamental to a proper assessment of the material. We will discuss the nature of these relations after the meaning of the name /nHsy/ Nehesy and the State of Nubia.

An Egyptian Reading Book by E.A. Wallis Budge Page. 95 In the Litanies of Seker We find /nHs/ Nubia with the foreign land determinative next to /kAs/ Kush and /Khol/ a Syrian state. This clearly indicates a defined state of /tA nHsy/ Ta Nehesy.

Boundary Stele of Senwoset III
Here I will attach an analysis of the Boundary Stele of Senwosret III to display the errors of the misconception that “The word /nHsy/ CANNOT mean Nubian since the “Nubians” had NO concept of NUBIA, other wise there would have been a state called NUBIA.”.

No Ancient Egyptians did not use the modern word “Nubia” but a state of Nubia cannot be deny in /tA nHsy/ Ta Nehesy i.e The Land of Nubia. /rmT/ Remetch used /nHs/ Nehes to indicate the people of the areas that we call Nubia today and the term Nehesy is survived in the nomenclature of the Mahas dialect of the Mahasi Nubians. Mahasi Nubians. Nehesy=Mahasi (m>n). For one to gears up to argue that Nehesy cannot mean Nubian because “Mahasi Nubian” would be a double statement, one should ask a Mahasi Nubian what Mahasi means. In Mahas dialect Mahasi means to me a TRUE Nubian or a REAL descendant of the /nHsy/.

For me there is no need to ask what Nehesy-Mahasi-Nubian means anymore. Nor should one deny the word of the Mahasi and say Nehesi doesn’t mean Nubia. That is the same misdeed that some accuse Europeans of. It is confirmed in the Mahas dialect that the term /nHsy/ Nehesy survives in the modern day Nubian term “Mahasi” which means TRUE NUBIAN. These people were situated in the same geographic location of /tA nHsy/, which has been shown here to be Nubia.

Mahasi-Nahasi
The Mahasi have moved the invisible borders of /tA nHsy/ into the area of the ancient “Kushite Kingdom”. Modern day Mahasi Nubians live in Kerma but acknowledge it was an ancient Kushite capital, not a Nubian capital. So all of this guesswork into the meaning of /nHsy/ is relatively pointless if we are willing to acknowledge the overwhelming amount of evidence that /nHsy/ means Nubian, and that Nubian is a probable definition for /nHsy/. I did not even have to inform my reader that the Ancient Egyptian word “Nub” means Gold, and that Nub was the main resource in Ta Nehesy, or of a quarry in Ta Nehesy literally called /Hwt nbw/ House of Gold, or of the /smr nbw/ lit. Friends Gold or “My gold friends”. Egyptologist possibly did not want to acknowledge their “Land of the negro” as a state or a Kingdom in their literature, and now some of us erase this Nubian land from our records as well. The Ancient Egyptian name for Kom Ombo was /Nbyt/ nubet. Egyptologist pronounce /Nbyt/ nubet “Nub-et” but the glyphs say “Nub-ee-et.” 3 syllables not two. This is what primary documents appear to call Kom Ombi /nbyt/ “Nub-ee-et.” i.e. Nub-i-a. Egypt enveloped this area at times, nevertheless the text indicate this still was as /tA nHsy/ a foreign land, or separate state at times. So we have a state of Nubia. Ask a Mahasi Nubian. Nehesi survives in the Mahas Dialect of the Mahasi Nubians.

”some speculate that the word ”nehes” survives in modern Nubian ethnic nomenclature as the ”Mahas” Historical Dictionary of Ancient and Medieval Nubia By Richard Lobban p.382

“Manas[maHas}, a Nubian dialect, corresponds with the name of the Nehesy pharaoh Mena, Meni or Menes. MN.” P.55 Egyptian Civilization Its Sumerian Origin & Real Chronology

“To be Mahasi means to be a true Nubian, to speak a pure Nubian language and to live in the Nubian heartland.” http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200604/the.decorated.houses.of.nubia.htm

“/nHsy/ Nubian” Obenga’s African philosophy: the Pharaonic period, 2780-330 B.C. p. 291 list

Diop Civilization or Barbarianism p.66 had /Nhsw/ for Other people of Africa.

“Kamose calls his southern rival [nHsy]a Nubian” The Cambridge Ancient History – Page 296

Amenhotep II Inscription (1427–1400 BC): “His mace struck Naharin, while his bow trampled Nubia [tʾ nhsy]” Exodus: An Exegetical Commentary By Victor P. Hamilton

“the egyptian name Nehesy was formed after the country name nhs, pronounced Nehes, which is Nubia” Desi Words Speak of the Past By Dr. Liny Srinivasan

Quotes From The Opponents Of The Defining /nHsy/ as Nubian;
I want to post a few quotes from one of my opponents just to display his inconsistencies. Try to follow what Nehesy means to Opponet A;

Opponent A on [the pharaoh named Nehesi name] ;
“It is probably a totem name. Meaning that nHsy (Nkweshi) is the clan he comes from, of the direct founding line of Nkweshi. As [Opponet B] stated, there is no consensus on the meaning of nHsy.”

There we see opponent A say /nHsy/ nehesy is the clan the pharaoh Nehesy comes from. As you read on we well see he may have been correct on this point. But lets go back in time and see a confusion between Nubians with Kushites;

Two years ago Opponent A said /nHsy/ means Kush;
« Reply #18 on Aug 18, 2010, 1:31pm »“K3S/NHSY both relate to the names Kush/Cush/Kush and Nehasiu aka Ethiopians. Saying Nkesh (a, i, o), Ngesha (i, a), Ngashi, Nkashi, Nkushio, Nekesh (a, i, e), Kesh (a, i, o), Kash (a, i), Kasa/Kesa, Kosh, Kush (i) Kwisha (i) gives you a better rendering and can be matched to living languages. These ancient Kushites (Bantu speakers now belonging to the Luba family of languages) still live “south, below” ancient Ta-Mry (Kongo, Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopia, Kenya).” Re: An open challenge to all E.S.R Members

In fact, If you Google this claim ““Nehasiu aka Ethiopians” it will only lead you back to the guesswork of opponent A. Mahasi do not claim to be Ethiopians. Nehasi-Mahasi are Nubians.

To confirm that this is not an old view of his, read his Facebook post to a Medu Neter group Thursday Nov. 29th 2012 at 10:19am;

“It may just be another word for kAs “Kash/Kush. kAs = nHsy where k = H”

My opponent clearly has no defined contention and has come to no conclusion on the matter after over two years of research between the above statements. There is one more quote;

“”the idea that Nhsy means Black is not at all far fetch as in the Bantu languages (kiswahili comes to mind) the word NYEUSI means BLACK.”

His research is good but it is inconclusive.

The Distinction Between /nHsy/ And /rmT/ in Primary Text
It was agreed upon that the distinction between /nHsy/ Nubians and /rmT/ Egyptians was exaggerated or misused by European Egyptologist as a way to place themselves amongst one of the greatest civilizations of world history. I expound on the above trite statement by adding it has been used by certain Kemetologist as an excuse not to do the due diligence required to truly defend our stance. The due diligence here is learning to read Hieroglyphs then scrutinizing the attestations of the Egyptian and Nubian people. Those who read Hieroglyphs and oppose my thesis, that /nHsy/ Nehesy means Nubian, are few.

Professor Manu Ampim explains how the above comparison of /kAS/ Kush and /nHsy/ Nehesy is erroneous. Dr.Ampim, while using the term Nubia over 30 times in the following video, explained how Nubians should not be confused with Kushites. Here Dr.Ampim does not use the word /nHsy/ but instead he used the words “Nubia” and “Nubian” to signify /nHsy/Nehesy. Listen here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JafHehR2KFY

Look at Dr. Ampim’s map(link below) and see the first and second cataracts are outside of what Ampim calls the “Kushite Heartland”. Mind you, Ampim’s map is of Ancient Kush and represents the time period of a prominent Kushite Empire. The areas of the first and second Cataracts are what is known as /tA nHsy/ or Nubia during a later time period. Kom Ombo or Nubee-et is c.a. 50 miles above the first cataract. The Boundary Stelae are found in Semna by the second Cataract. Both the “City of Gold” and /Hwt nbw/ “The House Of Gold” are in this area of /tA nHsy/ Ta Nehesy or Nubia. The other Nubt is more northward and was the predynastic city of Naqada.

A Link to a map of /kAS/ (Kush) from Dr.Ampim at: Dr.Ampim’s Map of Kush

When me mention /tA sty/ Ta Seti we can refer to Dr.Ben’s work on the matter.

Black Man of the Nile: And His Family By Yosef Ben-Jochannan p.115. Dr.Ben speaks on the division between Ta Seti and Ta Nehesy. Dr.Ben disdains eurocentric scholars who pose Ta Nehesy as inferior to Ta-Merry[the term he used for Egypt]. His stance is that Ta Nehesi was the original Nubia and that European scholars use images of “Ta Nehisians” in bondage to promote a false eurocentric fallacy of a “White Egypt” all while hiding the opposite images of Ta Nehisians with Ta Merrians in Bondage. He speaks of the wars between “Ta Nehisians” and Ta Merrians (Egyptians).

The Inscription Of Uni/Weni

The Primary is in Cairo Museum, No. 1435. Below is a link to a copy of the inscription.

Lines 14-16 contain the term /nHs/ or /nHs.w/. These are the initial lines we will scrutinize. We will question the grammatical construct of sentences that employ /nHs/ nehesy, and the determinatives that follow those word. Uni Lines 14-16

A determinative is a symbol that helps determine the meaning of the preceding word.

For those who cannot Identify /nHs/ and it’s determinatives, use the following link. Go to line 15 reading from left to right, then find the three seated(or kneeling or crouching) figures with a feather on top of their heads. The preceding three glyphs(from left to right) are /nHs/ Nehes. The three seated figures add a -w suffix rendering /nHs.w/. 14-16 left to right

For a translation see Tour Egypt

The sentence we are scrutinizing was translated by Egyptologist “Irthet negroes, the Mazoi negroes, the Yam negroes, among the Wawat negroes, among the Kau negroes, and in the land of Temeh.” Some have since corrected this and now insert Nubian for /nHsy/.

Now, before even speaking on Egyptian Grammar we can see in English that the distinction is drawn between the cities and not the people of the cities. The only distinction made between the people here is the cities they live in. With out the names of the cities we will just have /nHs.w/. Must one go into the mdw nTr to realize that? That is obvious in English. Still, please examine the references I present.

I explained that in this inscription Uni did not make distinction between the people in the land of Nehesy other than naming their city names. He said the same people after each city. “wawet” are not a people. “Yam” are not a people. Those are locations occupied by people called /nHsy/ nehesy, as Uni indicates. The point being made when I read Uni lines 14-16 is where Uni traveled to to get /nHsy/ Nubians for an Army, and the authority Uni had during these travels. My opponent replied speaking to the grammatical construct of this sentence; “/nHs/ was being used as an adjective or a genitive” in lines 14-16 of The Inscription of Uni. I don’t think he realized the grammatical construct of this sentence does not affect the definition of the word /nHs/. Lesson 79 Alan Gardiner states -Y suffix is used to form adjectives of nouns. We see no -y on /nHs/ but it IS in the adverbial position. SO he was correct but this is evidence supports my case, e.g. Noun-uAuAt Adjective-nehes means Wawet Nubians. Noun-iAm Adjective-nehes mean Yam Nubians. Nubian is being use to describe the people of different cities. Noun-iryT.t Adjective-nehes means Aritet Nubians.

The transliteration by Mark Vygus reads;
iri.n Hm=f mSa n.i Dba.w aSA.w
m Sma.w mrw-qd=f xnt.i m Abw mH.w.t m mdn.i.t
m tA-mH.w m gs.wi prw mrw-qd=sni
m sDr [15] m Xnw inb.w sDr
m nHs.i.w irT.t, m nHs.i.w DA, m nHs.i.w iAm
m nHs.i.w wAwA.t, m nHs.i.w kAAw, m tA-TmH”

Translation from http://www.rostau.org.uk/weni.ael/comment/p2comnt.htm;
“His majesty made an army of many tens of thousands,
from all of Upper Egypt, south to Yebu, north to Medenit,
from Lower Egypt, to “Two-sides-of-the-House” (the Delta)”
from Sedjer to Khen-sediru from the Irtjet-Nubians, the Medja-Nubians, the Yam-Nubians, from the Wawat-Nubians, from the Kaau-Nubians,from Tjemeh-land.”

My point is clear and cannot be avoided. The distinction is between the towns and locations where Uni summons Nubians. The only Nubian people that were mention as a separate force in /tA nHsy/ are the /mDAw/ Medjau, which is the Nubian Army.

When looking at an E.A. wallis Budge facsimile called The Inscription of Unas, the determinatives used by Budge could not be found on Gardiner’s sign list. I pointed to the Jsesh sign list, which someone said he was viewing but count not find the Glyphs.

The seated figures used as determinitives could be Gardiner C104, or C159, or B53, or C125, or C51, from the extended sign list at Extended Sign List

First one must identify the determinative in the Extended Sign List. Next answer why the determinative for /nHs/ was selected.

All of the above determinative candidates allude to some sort of tribal or fraternal affiliation among the people described as /nHs.w/ Nehes. The feather could represents a tribal feather worn by /nHsy.w/ Nehesiu at the time of Uni. The Mark Vygus dictionary defines “nHsyw” as “Chief of the Nubians”. Regardless Uni made a distinction between the cities, not the people of /tA nHsy/ Nubia.

For the transliteration of Line 14-16 See http://www.rostau.org.uk/weni.ael/comment/p2comnt.htm#anchor133350

To make your own translation one can use Mark Vygus’s dictionary. Free Mark Vygus Egyptian Dictionary PDF download
Download the dictionary to perform word searches.

Uni The Elder list 5 different towns in the country of Ta Nehesy. Still he called the general population by one name; /nHs.w/ Nubians. Listen to your Elders. Listen to your Brothers the Mahasi Nubians and consider the above evidence which proves /nHsy/ means Nubian.

Your Humble Servant,

Young Griot Master Apprentice Yahya Mahasen, the #Rapgod.

Shout out to Quincy Da’Mad Scientist on the Research.

About these ads

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://rapgod.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/the-well-defined-kingdom-of-nubia-nehesy-and-the-neh-bird-the-land-of-ta-seti/

The Well Defined Kingdom of Nubia, Nehesy & The Neh Bird, And Taharka In The Land of “Ta Seti”
Posted on December 13, 2012 by Aethiops Neo Matamoros

The Kingdom of Nubia

I wonder why people become irate when I say /nHsy/ means Nubian? I don’t know but I’ll be really simple in this blog to make things clear.

I have already addressed the popular Egyptological definition of /nHsy/, “Nubian” in my document “Conversation on Nehesy The Nubian Pharaoh”. We also discussed how some often confuse Nubians with Kushites etc. See the breakdown; The Breakdown on Nehesy

Anyway today I want to present more sources that will help us know the borders of the “Kingdom of Nubia”. I will try to only present sources and information while keeping my commentary to a minimum(we’ll see how that works! ha!).

“The Four Races of Mankind”-The Book of The Gates

The people of Ta Nehesy are represented in the four races of mankind of the Book of Gates as /nHs.w/. Below is E.A. Wallis Budge’s translation. The questionable part of Budge’s translation does not concern the transliteration of the term /nHs.w/. Nehesu are represented in the “Four Races of Mankind”.

Budge’s translation;

“….. I was content with the hundreds of thousands (of beings) who came forth from me in your name of Nehesu;”

We can look at different translations and still see Nehesu represented in the “Four Races of Mankind”. Please see the Theban Mapping Project Link for photos of Nehesu.1
The point of emphasis is Nehesu were a prominent people in Egyptian Mythology represented socially, but not racially, as other than Egyptians.

The Borders and Crown of Ta Nehesy

Contrary to popular belief there was a crown of Ta Nehesy. I don’t mean a crown of Upper Egypt, I mean a crown of Ta Nehesy (Nubia). I do not know if this was a physical crown but claims to a “crown” of Ta Nehesy were made by Harsiotef.

Please see the quote from Harsiotef. We can get Mark Vygus Online Dictionary to translate for ourselves. Harsiotef “The Kushite” says he had the crown to Ta Nehesy. He also said Ta Nehesy had borders;

“(Harsiotef Stela lines 11–13): Dd n.i Imn Npt i-di(.i) n.k pA sHw n pA tA NHs di.i
n.k pA 4 oaHw n pA tA Driw.f di(.i) n.k pA mw nfr di(.i) n.k pt mw Hwa nfr

‘Amun of Napata has said to me, “I give you the crown of the land of Nubia. I give you the four corners of the land in its entirety. I give you the good water; I give you a sky of good rain” THE JOURNAL OF Egyptian Archaeology VOLUME 95 2009

The area of Egypt does not see much rainfall. The “sky of good rain” is the Nubian sky. To scrutinize the term used for crown, it’s /pA sHw/. This is New Egyptian Grammar closer to Coptic. Then /sHw/ could be the coptic word “cwoyhi” which means “the top of the head or , a Crown”. Another option is the “pschent”, which is Greek way to say Sekhemti, an Egyptian crown. 2

What Harsiotef is saying is he was blessed by Amun(an Egyptian god), from Napata(a Kushite land), to conquer Ta Nehesy, i.e. the area between the First and Second Cataract. It is clear looking at the Stele of Senwoset III that Senwoset III was attempting to confine Nehesy to areas below the second cataract. Senwoset III’s boundry stelae are found in Semna (below the second cataract). Though Senwoset III never mention Kushites, he did mention that /nHsy/ Nehesy should not cross the border he called “Heh”. 3

So there were borders of Ta Nehesy. Now we also see a Crown of Ta Nehesy and as Harsiotef described we see “four corners” of Ta Nehesy. This lets us know that Ta Nehesy was a Kingdom. When you have borders, a Crown, abundant resources, highly sought after soldiers, and your people were represented in Egyptian mythology as one of the Four Races of Mankind, you have a Kingdom.

How Does The Term /nHsy/ Imply “Southern”?

Ta Nehesy is south of Egypt, north of Kush. Two major cities in Ta Nehesy were both called /nbw/ Nubu and /nbyt/ nub-ee-et. Both cities are names after gold. Egyptians traveled upstream to reach Lower Nubia for gold. Egyptian knew gold could be found in the southern lands of Ta Nehesy because it was the southern people of Ta Nehesy(Mena of Nubt) who founded and established Egypt.

IF we look at the glyphs for /nHsy/ we should notice G21 was used to signify the /nH/ neh in the word /nHsy/ neh-esy.

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

The glyphs for Ta Seti and /nHsy/ Nehesy(Nubian) can be seen used together in the same sentence of Khu-Sobek’s Stele. They are in yellow below;

-

look at the bow symbol used in the first word I highlighted. The word is /pDt/ pedjet. A bow is called a Pedjet in Ancient Egyptian, not a Seti. Also Faulkner list /pDt.w/ as “foreigners” (Faulkner Concise Dictionary Of Egyptian Grammar p.97). Khu-sobek said /iwntiw nw pDt/ which we see Rutgers U. define as; lit. Tribesmen of the Bow. This doesn’t make sense because the word /iwntiw/ by itself means “Tribesman of the Bow”(Faulkner p.13) /iwnt/ means bow. Alan Gardiner Egyptian Grammar page 495 tells us /iwnt/ was used in the Pyramid text to mean Bow. The -y suffix makes the word an adjective and the -w makes it plural, then Bowmen would be a better interpretation than “desert Nubians”, besides bowmen Ta Pedjet was know for rainfall. Faulkner’s definition “tribesmen” is not specific enough to scrutinize text of this nature. His definition of /iwntiw/ as “tribesmen” does not reflect his root definition of /iwnt/ Bow, instead it has extract and subtracted the root meaning “bow” from his new definition of /iwntiw/ “tribesman”. Also we see the land determinative in yellow above (N25) indicating that the word /pDt/ pedjet is a land. This should be translated as “Bowmen of Pedjet, Bowmen of Ta Pedet, or even Bowmen of Pedjet Khaset(The country of Pedjet) before “Tribesman of the Bow”.

On page 88 of Faulkners dictionary we see /pAt/ means “Patricians, Mankind”. On Taharka’s Kawa V Stele Taharka said he was in /tA pDt/ Ta pedjet amongst the /pAt/ people when His Majesty took the throne. 10

The above evidence shows that Ta Seti was a place called Ta Pedjet and that Ta Seti was occupied by /nHsy/ Nubians.

The Bow Glyph, /pDt/

-

The bow glyph /pDt/ is Gardiner T10.

If we look at the definition of Ta Seti(Faulkner p.253) we will see /tA sty/ uses a glyph similar to Gardiner T10. This glyphs is Gardiner Aa32 (or J32 depending of if your sign list is updated or not). If we look at every definition that use Aa32 we will get a hint that the phonetic quality attributed to Aa32, “Seti” is incorrect. In other Egyptian words we find Aa32 used as a determinative which has no sound. Aa32 is used as an /s/ in a word for Milk but it would be hard for one to explain why this was without addressing the misnomer I am speaking to. If we check Gardiner’s definition we will find Aa32 undefined and without phonetic quality. Gardiner tells us “For Aa32 see T10” (p. 543). Below I will post the definition for T10 and you tell me where you see /Sty/.

-

If we go look at the glyphs most often used to say TA Seti we will be hard pressed to find ta seti spelled with the Egyptian s-t-y symbols in a primary document. Actually when looking at the glyphs used to say Ta Seti we see the /pDt/ Bow and a suffixed /T/, or /pDt/ with two T’s which could represent the /d/ and the /t/ in /pDt/. We can conclude the two t’s in Taharka’s “ta Seti” could not be the phonetic complements to the word /sty/. Reading the glyphs lets one know this could have been pronounced /pDt/ “pedjet”, for the bow.

Read what Taharka said on his Kawa V Stele. It’s interesting that Taharka was talking about /tA pDt/ Ta pedjet and never mention coming from /kAS/ Kush. Taharka said he was in Ta Pedet before he came to Kemet.

-

Kava V from The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology Volume 95

Whether we say Ta seti or Ta Pedjet does not matter because Taharka’s stele says he was there amongst the /pAt/ people. He also referred to what he did in the land as TA Nehesy as he cried to Amun of Napata. Harsiotef said he had The Crown and Four Corners of Ta Nehesy. Senwoset III tried to expand the borders of Egypt to envelope the “gold lands” of Ta Nehesy. This is Nubia. Even the term Viceroy of Kush was not installed until c.a. 18th Dynasty, and even then the Viceroy governed Nubia, not Kush(no viceroys in Kerma!). A title like “viceroy of kush” could indicate that at some point Nubia fell under Kushite control. Before then this was the Kingdom of Ta Nehesy. Ta pedjet(Ta Seti) was a major region in Ta Nehesy and Taharka said he sojourned there. So everything we attribute to Ta Seti is attributed to The Kingdom Ta Nehesy, when we read the primaries. Dr.Ben said this in a witty way that was delightful for me to hear; “Nubia was Egypt before Egypt was Nubia”.

Viceroy of Kush

“Thutmose I (Akheperkare, r. ca.1527-1515), created the title of /sA nsw n kS/, King’s Son of Kush , and appointed Turi as the first viceroy.” 11

The above quote means there was no official “Egyptian governor” of the lands of Nubia before Turi. It also indicates that by the 18th dynasty Ta Nehesy must have been enveloped into /kAS/ or /kS/ Kush because the famous “gold lands” of Ta Nehesy are now discribed by Egyptian as being in Kush. The title Viceroy was /sA nswt/ and really just mean “son of the King” but the epithet worn by the Viceroy was “’Overseer of the Gold Lands of the Lord of the Two Lands’.

The /sA nswt/ viseroy was not a Kushite coming to see the Egyptian king, but was native Egyptian installed as a governor of foreign lands of Nub, Gold. The Viseroy was governor of the overseers and scribes;

/imy-r mSa.w nbw/ Overseer of the gold “gang”
/sS Hsb nbw/ the scribe who counts the gold
/sS nbw n xAst/ Scribe of the gold of foreign lands

The viceroy was in charge of everything; /n pr n pA nbw xAst/ “to(regarding) country of the gold”.
By the time of Thutmoses II the “Nubians” had assimilate to either Egyptian or Kushite culture or they became confused(culturally) with Kushites in primary Egyptian documents. We know this because Taharka himself did not call this area Kush, yet see what Thutmose Inscription called the people of the land of Ta Nehesy(the inscription is at Aswan, Nubian County);

From the Aswan inscription of Thutmose II, Year 1;

“One came to inform his majesty as follows: “The wretched” Kush has begun to rebel, those who were under the dominion of the Lord of the Two Lands purpose hostility, beginning to smite him. …..”

James Henry Breasted Ancient Records of Egypt Part Two, § 121

I dont mean to point to the mistranslated term “Wretched”, I mean to show that by the time of Thutmose II “The Viceroy of Kush” had lost or had not established complete control over the land between the first and second cataract, which during the time of Thutmose II we see was called Kush. I also find evidence of Nehesu assimilation to Egyptian culture which could justify their 18th Dynasty absence from the area between the first and second cataract which during that time was called Kush. But Taharka didn’t call it Kush, he said Ta Pedjet and Ta Nehesy. We learned that captives of war had a chance to assimilate to Egyptian society by reading JJ’s Shirley’s dissertation “The Culture of the Officialdom”. Plenty egyptians wore /nHsy/ as a personal name. Royal people, pharaohs, viziers even The “Viceroys of Kush” called themselves Nehesy, Nehy and Panehesy, even Phinehas which is Hebrew for Panehesy, and I know some remember Phinehas(lit. the Nubian) of the Bible, The Priest of Israel, also Taharka The Kushite helping Hezekiah stop the Assyrians from burning down Judah. These dignitaries (all but Taharka) wore the name /nHsy/ to represent their Nehesy lineage. Most Viceroys of Kush whose name indicate “location” or “culture” or “a people” are adorned with /nHs/ in their personal name.

Names that include /nHs/

“Senebnehas (C): Wife of Sobekhotep III Titles: King’s Wife (hmt-nisw) , United with the White Crown (khnmt-nfr-hdjt), Hereditary Princess (iryt-p`t), Great of Grace (wrt-im3t), Great of Praises (wrt-hzwt), Mistress of the Entire Land (hnwt-t3w-mhw)

Nehesy The Pharoah of the 14th Dynasty

Nehesy, From the time of Hatshepsut (and Tuthmosis III?). Chancellor. Buried in tomb I.6 in the cliffs of the Bubasteion. Discovered by The French Archaeological Mission of the Bubasteion lead by A. Zivie. Nehesy was in charge of the famous expedition to Punt somewhere around year 9 of Hatshepsut’s reign.

Neshi, Chancellor, leader of the expedition to Punt, Chief treasurer. Buried in Saqqara (tomb discovered by Zivie)

Panehesy. The Vizier from the time of Merneptah is known from a chapel at the Speos at Gebel el-Silsila.

Panehesy: Viceroy of Kush at the end of the 20th dynasty. This Viceroy became persona non-grata. Panehsy, the most powerful person in the Thebaid, set up a military coup by his own decision and without royal support. High Priest Amenhotep may not have been killed then, but helped by the king, without gaining back his former position, however. A source of conflict was Amenhotep’s accusation of atrocities by the Nubian soldiers of Panehsy against the Theban population, whereupon Panehsy received the royal command to leave Thebes and to travel south. Nine months after the war had started, Herihor’s army dispelled that of Panehsy, the later enemy of state, to the south. Panehsy, buried in Aniba, can be considered the founder of an independent Nubia.

Panhesy, First servant of the Aten in the house of Aten in Akhet-Aten, Second prophet of the Lord of the Two Lands Neferkheprure-Waenre (Akhenaten), the sealbearer of the King of Lower Egypt. Overseer of the storehouse of the Aten in Akhetaten, Overseer of cattle of the Aten in Akhet-Aten. On one of the ceilings Panehesy mentions receiving gold from the king for doing a great thing for his lady, the king’s daughter. Panehesy’s wife was named Iabka.

Nehi: Viceroy of Kush under Tuthmosis III. Nehy was commanded to see to the renewal of the offerings installed by Sesostris III for the gods Dedun and Khnum at the Temple of Semna.
Nehy Vizier of the South under Ramesses II. Mentioned by Kitchen.

Nehy? from the time of Ramesses III (IV?) Possibly a Vizier mentioned on blocks from Thebes. Appears in a scene with Ramesses III, Queen Isis and her mother Queen Hemdjeret? Possibly this is a scene depicting the installation of Isis as God’s Wife, which would date this to the reign of Ramesses IV Queen Ēse of the Twentieth Dynasty and Her Mother

Hesi – Vizier under Teti (maybe Unas?) – figure and name erased from Mastaba.”

(See source #12 & 13)

So now we see the Viceroy of Kush did not use names like “Kashta” or Kushesy” etc. Kashta was a Kushite King but I want all who can read glyphs to go and look at how Kashta was spelled. If you cannot read glyphs please use an online Hieroglyphic dictionary. It seems certain Viceroys used names that indicated themselves being from, or amongst the Nehes people of Nub. /sA nswt/ Sa Nesut did not mean they were of the bloodline of the King. Viseroys were chosen and appointed by the king as good governors of Ta Nehesu(or “Kush” during this time period) southern lands of Gold.

Conclusion

The term Nehesy does indicate south of Egypt. Ta Nehesy is Nubia which was a separate kingdom from Kush and Kemet. Ta Seti was call Ta Pedjet by Taharka(and others). Taharka also called the place, Ta Nehesy. Harsiotef manifested the Crown of Ta Nehesy. Senwoset III establish the borders of Ta Nehesy.

The denial of a Kingdom of Ta Nehesy(Nubia), a kingdom which was based primarily on the resource Nub(gold) of Hat-Nub (lit. Mansion of Gold), is denying one the option of referring to, or mentioning, a true Nubian legacy in Nilotic African culture outside of Kush and Kemet. Bar the flood of the Aswan Dam, the modern day Mahasi Nubians still live in the same area of “Ta Nehesy” as the did thousands of years ago.

Lastly, If one cannot see why Théophile Obenga, Cheikh Anta Diop and Dr.Yosef Ben-Jochannan use the term Nubian to describe Nehesy, then at this point I say too bad for you that you cannot see things the way our African Scholars and forefathers seen it.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol
quote:
"The Mahalanobis D2 analysis uncovered close affinities between Nubians and Egyptians. Table 3 lists the Mahalanobis D2 distance matrix. As there is no significance testing that is available to be applied to this form of Mahalanobis distances, the biodistance scores must be interpreted in relation to one another, rather than on a general scale. In some cases, the statistics reveal that the Egyptian samples were more similar to Nubian samples than to other Egyptian samples (e.g. Gizeh and Hesa/Biga) and vice versa (e.g. Badari and Kerma, Naqada and Christian).

These relationships are further depicted in the PCO plot (Fig. 2). Aside from these interpopulation relationships, some Nubian groups are still more similar to other Nubians and some Egyptians are more similar to other Egyptian samples. Moreover, although the Nubian and Egyptian samples formed one well-distributed group, the Egyptian samples clustered in the upper left region, while the Nubians concentrated in the lower right of the plot. One line can be drawn that would separate the closely dispersed Egyptians and Nubians. The predynastic Egyptian samples clustered together (Badari and Naqada), while Gizeh most closely groups with the Lisht sample. The first two principal coordinates from PCO account for 60% of the variation in the samples. The graph from PCO is basically a pictorial representation of the distance matrix and interpretations from the plot mirror the Mahalanobis D2 matrix."

--Godde K.

An Examination of Nubian and Egyptian biological distances: Support for biological diffusion or in situ development?

Homo. 2009;60(5):389-404. Epub 2009 Sep 19.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Predynastic populations studied here, from Naqada and Badari, are both Upper Egyptian samples, while the Dynastic Egyptian sample (Tarkhan) is from Lower Egypt. The Dynastic Nubian sample is from Upper Nubia (Kerma). Previous analyses of cranial variation found the Badari and Early Predynastic Egyptians to be more similar to other African groups than to Mediterranean or European populations (Keita, 1990; Zakrzewski, 2002).

[...]

Studies of cranial morphology also support the use of a Nubian (Kerma) population for a comparison of the Dynastic period, as this group is likely to be more closely genetically related to the early Nile valley inhabitants

[...]

-- AP Starling, JT Stock. (2007), Dental Indicators of Health and Stress in Early Egyptian and Nubian Agriculturalists: A Difficult Transition and Gradual Recovery. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY 134:520–528
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point is the modern term "Nubian" was not used to refer to any ancient population along the Nile prior to or during the age of dynastic Egypt. The Egyptian term for gold was Nub and this word was exclusively used within Egypt to refer to Egyptian deities, royalty and other aspects of Egyptian cosmology. For example, the Egyptian deity Set was referred to as Set "the Nubti" (or in modern terms Nubian) because the hometown of Set was the town called Nubt, named after the fact that it was a center of the gold trade. In fact many times the deity was just referred to as "Nubti", which means golden or in modern terms "Nubian".

Nehesi, Ta Seti, Kush, Wawat and Yam are among the ACTUAL terms used by the dynastic Egyptians to refer to different populations to the South of Egypt and never were they lumped together as a single ethnic, political or cultural unit based on skin color or phenotype by the ancient dynastic Egyptians. Therefore this attempt to label all Africans along the Nile as a single monolithic ethnic, political, racial and cultural group is simply incorrect. This is only done purely for the purpose of trying push a racial boundary between Egypt and the Africans further south. But the problem is these people were all from the same background and all related as Nile Valley Africans even if they didn't all have the exact same culture or political organization. This is just extreme nonsense on the part of white Egyptologists.

quote:

Another evidence of Set at Medinet Habu involving Ramesses III is a traditional blessing scene of the pharoah between Set and Horus. "In the corner, on the east end of the north wall, the king stands between Horus and Seth (fig. 18): each god holds over the king's head a vase from which issue, not streams of water, but signs meaning 'life' and 'dominion,' and they recite a spell:
"I have purified you with life, stability and dominion; your purification is the purification of Thoth [var. 'Dewen-anwy'] and vice -versa.
"These gods are the masters of the four corners of the universe and the king both absorbs magical power from these quarters and extends his watchful regard towards them. This rite, which enabled the king to participate in ritual as a god, was perhaps performed in a little room that was built in
this corner after the second court had been completed..."
(From _United with Eternity: A Concise 'Guide to the Monuments of Medinet Habu_
by William J. Murnane, pages 26- 27)
Even though it's quite badly damaged, Set's distinctive form shows. However, Ra messes III made sure his cartouches would not be carved over. He took care to have them cut extremely deep and rather large. In the trio scene, the height of the horizontal cartouche below the pharaoh is as tall as the height of his leg depiction, ankle to knee. Ramesses III didn’t neglect Set’s temple at Naqada. "Under Ramessu III some reconstructions went on, and a priest Userhat made new lintels to doorways of the chambers in the N.E. corner of the temenos. One lintel of his (pl. LXXIX) shews Set and Amen seated back to back over the intertwined Nile plants. On the left side Userhat is "Beloved of [Amen lord] of the thrones of the two lands who is in Karnak. [Giving praise] to thy ka , Oh Lord of the gods, that he may grant long life and a good old age . . . in Karnak to the ka of the prophet of Set, Userhat, makheru." On the right side is, "Set Nubti lord of the South land, great god, lord of heaven, fair child of Ra. Giving praise to thy ka , Set, the very valorous, [that he may give]. . . in Thebes to the ka of the prophet of Set, Userhat." And behind the figure is, "made by his son, who makes his name to live, for the ka of the prophet of Set, Userhat." (_Naqada and Bellas_, Petrie, page 70)

http://www.matertiamat.com/docs/set-find.pdf

http://brittlebooks.library.illinois.edu/brittlebooks_open/Books2009-08/petrwi0001naqbal/petrwi0001naqbal.pdf

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The troll provocateur is right about one thing. Instead of relying on the terms of Egyptology, go right to the source-- the Mdu-Ntr.

I'll have to read the material she posted before I can comment.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

I'll have to read the material she posted before I can comment. ]

get out of my thread troll, no one cares about your comment
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

Abstract

The first millennium BC in Sudan sees the birth of the Kushite (Napatan and then Meroitic) Kingdom. Royal cities, cemeteries and centres of religious power have attracted archaeologists and historians while peripheral areas have only rarely seen any systematic investigations. This lack of research provides difficulties in interpreting the limited evidence of the Napatan and Meroitic periods located on the White and Blue Niles and limits our comprehension of the role of this region within the political, economic and cultural framework of the kingdom. Recently, a multiphase cemetery was discovered at the site of Al Khiday 2, on the west bank of the White Nile, which was also used by a small group that is thought to be closely related to the Meroitic. The graves excavated have produced a bio-archaeological sample that is presented here with detailed descriptions of the funerary practices, including different types of grave structures, grave goods, burial position and orientation of the inhumations, as well as an overview of the anthropological analysis of this population. These findings are placed within the wider context of Meroitic studies by providing comparisons with contemporaneous sites, highlighting the possible elements of contiguity with that world, as well as providing some reflection on future research directions.

--D. Usai, S. Salvatori, T. Jakob & R. David

The Al Khiday Cemetery in Central Sudan and its “Classic/Late Meroitic” Period Graves

Journal of African Archaeology, Volume 12 (2), 2014, pages 183-204, DOI 10.3213/2191-5784-10254

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

I'll have to read the material she posted before I can comment. ]

get out of my thread troll, no one cares about your comment
LOL None of your racist white supremacist team members read it, of course. I get it. [Big Grin]

Now, go cry yourself to sleep.

quote:
Pottery from Al Khiday (Khartoum, Sudan), where a number of sites with well-preserved stratified archaeological sequences have been excavated and radiometrically dated to the Mesolithic and Neolithic periods (7000–4000 calibrated BC), was archaeometrically analysed with the main aim of quantifying the textural parameters of the inclusions in the ceramic pastes. A set of 360 samples was studied, and quantitative and qualitative information was obtained regarding paste production recipes and the raw materials used over time.

Three main petrographic groups were identified, according to contents in alkali-feldspar and quartz, and the grain-size of quartz inclusions. Further sub-groups were defined and described in terms of grain-size distribution and abundance of the various types of inclusions. Digital image analysis on both scanning electron back-scattered images and elemental maps enabled validation of petrographic groups by quantitative description of the type, abundance and shape of inclusions, and the inclusion-to-matrix ratio. Correlations among the paste production recipes and decorative motifs revealed changes in production technology over time.

--Gregorio Dal Sassoa et al.

Discriminating pottery production by image analysis: a case study of Mesolithic and Neolithic pottery from Al Khiday (Khartoum, Sudan)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440314000831

quote:
The micromorphological investigation on several pluristratified archaeological sites in central Sudan (Al-Khiday, left bank of the White Nile, Khartoum region, Sudan) permitted to elucidate depositional and post-depositional processes playing a role in the formation and preservation of the archaeological record. At Al-Khiday sites are located at the top of small mounds, representing the remains of Pleistocene sandy fluvial bars, and were attended since the beginning of the Holocene. The first occupation of the area corresponds to a pre-Mesolithic cemetery; than Mesolithic groups lived upon the mounds and their occupation is testified by several archaeological features: pits filled by ash and bones and living floors. Preserved Neolithic features are scarce and limited to few graves (V millennium BC). After this phase, a long gap in human attendance is registered, during which wind continued to dismantling the mounds and the sites; at ca. 2000 years BP Meroitic/Post-Meroitic groups built their tombs at the top of the archaeological sequences and altered most of the stratigraphic record. Thanks to micromorphology, it was possible to distinguish between archaeological strata still in situ and those disturbed by natural and anthropic processes; furthermore, this approach allowed to interpret the significance of several archaeological features (living floors, fireplaces, and garbage pits). In this case micromorphology of archaeological deposits was a key tool to reconstruct the depositional and post-depositional processes that contributed to the formation and preservation of the archaeological record.
--Zerboni, Andrea et al.

Geoarchaeological investigation at Al-Khiday (central Sudan): late Quaternary palaeoenvironment and site formation

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010EGUGA..12.5515Z

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com