EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Egyptian DNA from 1300BC to 426 AD (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian DNA from 1300BC to 426 AD
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets try this again and use this thread as a placeholder when the data is release.

quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
quote:
Egypt, located on the isthmus of Africa, is an ideal region to study historical population dynamics due to its geographic location and documented interactions with ancient civilizations in Africa, Asia, and Europe. Particularly, in the first millennium BCE Egypt endured foreign domination leading to growing numbers of foreigners living within its borders possibly contributing genetically to the local population. Here we mtDNA and nuclear DNA from mummified humans recovered from Middle Egypt that span around 1,300 years of ancient Egyptian history from the Third Intermediate to the Roman Period. Our analyses reveal that ancient Egyptians shared more Near Eastern ancestry than present-day Egyptians, who received additional Sub-Saharan admixture in more recent times. This analysis establishes ancient Egyptian mummies as a genetic source to study ancient human history and offers the perspective of deciphering Egypt’s past at a genome-wide level.

-

Source

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah the other thread was getting wild and off topic. I'm hearing the paper is close to being published.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also really loving you and Gihanga_Rwanda discussion on Mota. Really good ****.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I propose where I left on the topic, in that other thread, Abu-Sir the Greek-Roman colony / settlement.

Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire
Imperium :: places :: Abusir el-Meleq

http://dare.ht.lu.se/places/28544.html

quote:
Abstract

Lastly, concomitant PCR amplification of P. falciparum and M. tuberculosis complex DNA specific fragments was obtained in four mummies, three of which are 14 C dated to the Late and Graeco-Roman Periods. Our data confirm that the hydrography of Fayum was extremely conducive to the spread of malaria. They also support the notion that the agricultural boom and dense crowding occurred in this region, especially under the Ptolemies, highly increased the probability for the manifestation and spread of tuberculosis.

-

Due to the presence of the lake Quarun and to the particular nature of its irrigation system, it has been speculated that the Fayum, a large depression 80 kilometers south- west of modern Cairo, was exposed to the hazards of malaria in historic times. Similarly, it has been speculated that, in the same area, also human tuberculosis might have been far more widespread in the antiquity than in its recent past. If these hypotheses were confirmed, it would imply that frequent cases of co-infection between the two pathogens might have occurred in ancient populations.

To substantiate those speculations, molecular analyses were carried out on sixteen mummified heads recovered from the necropolis of Abusir el Meleq (Fayum) dating from the 3rd Intermediate Period (1064- 656 BC) to the Roman Period (30 BC- 300 AD).

Soft tissue biopsies were used for DNA extractions and PCR amplifications using well-suited protocols. A partial 196-bp fragment of Plasmodium falciparum apical membrane antigen 1 gene and a 123-bp fragment of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex insertion sequence IS6110 were amplified and sequenced in six and five of the sixteen specimens, respectively. A 100% concordance rates between our sequences and those of P. falciparum and M. tuberculosis complex ones were obtained. Lastly, concomitant PCR amplification of P. falciparum and M. tuberculosis complex DNA specific fragments was obtained in four mummies, three of which are 14 C dated to the Late and Graeco-Roman Periods. Our data confirm that the hydrography of Fayum was extremely conducive to the spread of malaria. They also support the notion that the agricultural boom and dense crowding occurred in this region, especially under the Ptolemies, highly increased the probability for the manifestation and spread of tuberculosis. Here we extend back-wards to ca. 800 BC new evidence for malaria tropica and human tuberculosis co-occurrence in ancient Lower Egypt.

—Albert Lalremruata

Molecular Identification of Falciparum Malaria and Human Tuberculosis Co-Infections in Mummies from the Fayum Depression (Lower Egypt)

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0060307

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansamusa
Member # 22474

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansamusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lets try this again and use this thread as a placeholder when the data is release.

quote:
quote:
Egypt, located on the isthmus of Africa, is an ideal region to study historical population dynamics due to its geographic location and documented interactions with ancient civilizations in Africa, Asia, and Europe. Particularly, in the first millennium BCE Egypt endured foreign domination leading to growing numbers of foreigners living within its borders possibly contributing genetically to the local population. Here we mtDNA and nuclear DNA from mummified humans recovered from Middle Egypt that span around 1,300 years of ancient Egyptian history from the Third Intermediate to the Roman Period. Our analyses reveal that ancient Egyptians shared more Near Eastern ancestry than present-day Egyptians, who received additional Sub-Saharan admixture in more recent times. This analysis establishes ancient Egyptian mummies as a genetic source to study ancient human history and offers the perspective of deciphering Egypt’s past at a genome-wide level.

-

Source

I have been reading from a distance for some time now. The abstract itself makes reference to "foreign domination leading to growing numbers of foreigners living within its borders possibly contributing genetically to the local population." Can this not be interpreted as the authors admitting that these are not purely natives?
Posts: 288 | From: Asia | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know Abusair was Fayum. Don't tell me they are testing the Fayum mummies. Lurkers, Google image Fayum portraits. White people aint about nothing.
 -
At least they are honest about this being a Hyksos spot. Still sad. The first released genetic study on a population and they choose a white neighborhood. That is so janky.

I'm going to venture and say that these are going to be some white ass Egyptians, albino mutations and all.

Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fourty2Tribes:
I didn't know Abusair was Fayum. Don't tell me they are testing the Fayum mummies. Lurkers, Google image Fayum portraits. White people aint about nothing.
\
At least they are honest about this being a Hyksos spot. Still sad. The first released genetic study on a population and they choose a white neighborhood. That is so janky.

I'm going to venture and say that these are going to be some white ass Egyptians, albino mutations and all.

I think you are on to something. Looks pretty white to me.

-

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abusir el Meleq was founded
in the Naqada II archaic period.
-- Baines & Màlek (1984) p.31.

The sampled mummies only go
back to the 3rd Intermediate
that began around 1070 BCE.

Schuenann's abstract tries to
locate Egypt in some imaginary
"isthmus of Africa" but she then
gets on track.

Discounting Libyans, her dominating
foreigners -- more and more living
within Egypt's borders possibly mixing
with the local population -- are the
* 27th Persian Dynasty 525-404 BCE
* 2nd Persian Period 343-332 BCE
* Greco-Roman Period 332 BCE - 395 CE

I think nearby Levantines were always
in Egypt
as evidenced by trade culture
as transhumants, merchants, migrant
labor, and slaves. Some worked their
way up society's ladder. Some women
bore local children.

Also can't forget resettled 13th century
Sea Peoples were families. In time they
disappeared into the general population
of Egypt.

All of these foreigners were more likely
in the Delta and Fayum regions. Abusir
sits between the southern Fayum and
the Nile. Its in the 21st Nome of Upper
Egypt. The 1st Nome of Lower Egypt
borders it.

-

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of these samples predate the Greco-Roman era.
They fit Dyn 23 when there was a 5 way power split.
Without materials and methods we don't know how
many of Schuenemann's 90 samples are pre-Ptolemaic
(i.e., Persian, Nubian, and Libyan rule).

-

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Concerned member of public
Banned
Member # 22355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Concerned member of public   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gets boring with Afroloons trying to blame the genetic data that conflict with their politics on large scale foreign mixture, which if you notice they keep changing the dates for.

Later when DNA samples dating to the Middle Kingdom of Egypt, these Afoloons will say that also was time of mass foreign mixture, then for the First Intermediate Period of Egypt, and so on. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 949 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
\

-

Id hedge on art face over decay face. If you wanted ancient Egyptians with albino mutations where else do you go but to the Fayum mummies?  -
Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cass/:
Gets boring with Afroloons trying to blame the genetic data that conflict with their politics on large scale foreign mixture, which if you notice they keep changing the dates for.

Later when DNA samples dating to the Middle Kingdom of Egypt, these Afoloons will say that also was time of mass foreign mixture, then for the First Intermediate Period of Egypt, and so on. [Roll Eyes]

It is obvious you have nothing valuable to contribute, all you have is nothing but euroloon babbles.

-

ARCHAEOLOGY. Relief with hieroglyphs at the entrance to the tomb of Amon Pen (Dynasty XIX), Abusir Necropolis, Egypt. Egyptian civilisation, New Kingdom, Dynasty XIX. Full credit: De Agostini / S. Vannini / Granger, NYC

https://www.granger.com/results.asp?search=1&screenwidth=1600&tnresize=200&pixperpage=40&searchtxtkeys=abusir&lastsearchtxtkeys=Abusir&lstorients=132

LOL @ Euronut logic. [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm adopting a policy of ignoring Cass after that Mansa Musa fiasco, that really took the cake.

Anyways as I mentioned in the previous thread isn't Abusir actually in *Lower* Egypt? It's basically right at the neck of the Delta. Considering this and the imperial nature of the New Kingdom I still don't really find the abstract surprising but eh *shrugs*

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

The Armarna was cosmopolitan,
foreigners depicted in various
occupations. The royals proved
closest to modern Upper Egyptians,
modern Sudanese, and Somalis.

Though not absent in royals, non
royals are naturally going to have
more bloodlines out their stock
than royals logically due to class.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:

Anyways as I mentioned in the previous thread isn't Abusir actually in *Lower* Egypt? It's basically right at the neck of the Delta. Considering this and the imperial nature of the New Kingdom I still don't really find the abstract surprising but eh *shrugs*

Uhm,

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

Abusir el Meleq was founded
in the Naqada II archaic period.
-- Baines & Màlek (1984) p.31.

Abusir
sits between the southern Fayum and
the Nile. Its in the 21st Nome of Upper
Egypt. The 1st Nome of Lower Egypt
borders it.

-

Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^whoops I stand corrected, Tukuler

--------------------
 -

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
\

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8RhjMQVwAAKyZg.jpg:large

Id hedge on art face over decay face. If you wanted ancient Egyptians with albino mutations where else do you go but to the Fayum mummies?  -
First of all, the reason why they choose this region is because most German Egyptologist etc are historically based in this region.

There are a few problems here. It is a Greek-Roman settlement, like Siwa (Alexandria) was ruled by Romans.

However, data tells:

quote:
“While commonly believed to represent Greek settlers in Egypt, the Faiyum portraits instead reflect the complex synthesis of the predominant Egyptian culture and that of the elite Greek minority in the city. According to Walker, the early Ptolemaic Greek colonists married local women and adopted Egyptian religious beliefs, and by Roman times, their descendants were viewed as Egyptians by the Roman rulers, despite their own self-perception of being Greek. The dental morphology of the Roman-period Faiyum mummies was also compared with that of earlier The dental morphology of the Roman-period Faiyum mummies was also compared with that of earlier Egyptian populations, and was found to be "much more closely akin" to that of ancient Egyptians than to Greeks or other European populations.

--Irish JD (2006).

"Who were the ancient Egyptians? Dental affinities among Neolithic through postdynastic peoples.". Am J Phys Anthropol 129

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16331657

quote:

"Still, it appears that the process of state formation involved a large indigenous component. Outside influence and admixture with extraregional groups primarily occurred in Lower Egypt—perhaps during the later dynastic, but especially in Ptolmaic and Roman times (also Irish, 2006). No large-scale population replacement in the form of a foreign dynastic ‘race’ (Petrie, 1939) was indicated. Our results are generally consistent with those of Zakrzewski (2007). Using craniometric data in predynastic and early dynastic Egyptian samples, she also concluded that state formation was largely an indigenous process with some migration into the region evident. The sources of such migrants have not been identified; inclusion of additional regional and extraregional skeletal samples from various periods would be required for this purpose."

--Schillaci MA, Irish JD, Wood CC. 2009

Further analysis of the population history of ancient Egyptians.

capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So based on dental nonmetric traits the Classical Period Faiyum people depicted in those paintings were largely of ancient Egyptian ancestry?
Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

@ Punos Rey

Its OK man.

We all want the facts, I guess?

Then we go on and each one
interprets them to they own
insight.

@ Beyoku

I know it's impossible to block off
6 slots but wouldn't it be nice
* Schuenemann's AJPA abstract
* screening slide
* mtDNA slide
* PCA slide
* f slide
* summary slide

@ Ish
I don't understand how a Greco-
Roman settlement could've been
founded ~3000 BCE and have at
least two mummies dating to 800
BCE when Greco-Roman Egypt isn't
until 332 BCE?

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't many of the samples predate Greek/Roman occupation? The dates however don't predate Canaan and Hyksos entry, and by about 1k BC there was Eastern genetic influences that extended all the way into Ethiopia.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

@ Ish
I don't understand how a Greco-
Roman settlement could've been
founded ~3000 BCE and have at
least two mummies dating to 800
BCE when Greco-Roman Egypt isn't
until 332 BCE?

The slide shows: "cal AD 1383-1311 to cal AD 386-426", based on radiocarbon dates.

quote:
Abusir el-Malek

The ancient settlement of Abusir el-Malek sat on a small rise in the fertile floodplain between the Faiyum and the Nile. By 1500 B.C., it was a prosperous settlement with many temples and a vast burial ground and buildings stretching across a large area. Excavations in the early twentieth century revealed burials centered on a cult honoring Osiris, the Egyptian god of the afterlife. The earliest evidence of occupation at the site dates from around 3000 B.C., with the majority of burials beginning 1,500 years later. The cemetery continued to be used for centuries, with the earlier shaft tombs being filled with later burials from the Greek, Roman, and Islamic periods. Thousands of individuals were buried at the site over hundreds of years of use.

Archaeological exploration of Abusir el-Malek in the early twentieth century resulted in many artifacts being placed in museums around the world, bringing attention to the importance of the site and its history. Site work continued in the 1970s, emphasizing again the valuable information being gained from documenting Abusir el-Malek. Following the Arab Spring in 2011, when policing archaeological sites became more difficult, there was a tremendous surge in looting of heritage sites in the region. Abusir el-Malek is one of the archaeological sites that has been particularly heavily looted. The continuing destruction of sites in search of saleable antiquities has resulted in the loss of scientific evidence, artifacts, and understanding of the stratigraphy of archaeological ruins at thousands of ancient sites like Abusir el-Malek. Sadly this situation is not unique in Egypt, or elsewhere in the world. Times of crisis—poverty, conflict, or political turmoil—stretch the protection of our past, often to breaking point.

Placing Abusir el-Malek on the 2016 World Monuments Watch cannot repair the damage to the site, but it can potentially raise awareness about looting and highlight efforts worldwide to stem the tide of illicit trafficking of archaeological objects. Developing alternative sources of income for local communities and incentives for protecting heritage sites, coupled with enforcement of local, national, and international cultural property laws, is a vital challenge.

https://www.wmf.org/project/abusir-el-malek
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but aren't those dates before the Greco-Roman period?
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
I'm adopting a policy of ignoring Cass after that Mansa Musa fiasco, that really took the cake.

I am in too. Though I admit it is difficult to not respond to the annoying eurocentric rants.

Meanwhile, perhaps this book comes at hand in understanding more about the region.

quote:

-

The corpus of material from Roman Egypt is one of the most fascinating in studying ancient Egypt’s funerary remains. However, with the exception of painted panel portraits on mummies of the period, much of this material has received little attention from academia and public alike.

The value of this publication, which condenses the author’s doctoral thesis, lies in its thorough analysis of often poorly-recorded material dispersed in museums throughout the world.

Riggs concentrates on the series of mummy cases, masks, shrouds, coffins and tomb paintings incorporating aspects of Greek and Roman art into traditional Egyptian burial forms. She analyses stylistic development in conjunction with other contemporary art forms, texts and funerary inscriptions in order to gain insight into the ethnicity, social status and religious beliefs of the populace.

Chapter One presents an overview of art and religion in Roman Egypt and an account of previous studies in the field. Riggs suggests that the amalgam of styles and motifs, formerly categorised as of mixed style and even considered degenerate by many, is due to a deliberate choice rather than any misunderstanding of Egyptian funerary art forms. She proposes that the use of more naturalistic portraiture and the depiction of contemporary clothing and hairstyles indicates a desire to perpetuate status and gender in the afterlife.

Chapter Two examines the concept of gender in funerary art and texts and relates the evidence from the Rhind Papyri, in which the deceased are associated with the funerary deities Osiris and Hathor, to groups of coffins from Kharga Oasis and Akhmim. These, too, portray the image of the deceased either idealised in Osiride form or naturalistically in contemporary dress, according to Hellenistic conventions. Despite the Hellenised mode of dress, the names of the deceased are Egyptian and derived from those of local divinities. Riggs therefore suggests that the purpose of the contemporary knotted garment worn by females of the Akhmim Group is to ‘tie’ the image to Hathor, and that the dual styles emphasise the importance of perpetuating social status in death, as well as gender.

Chapter Three investigates this concept further in narrative scenes on a series of masks from Meir and in Funerary House 21 in the cemetery of Tuna el-Gebel, in which the deceased is similarly attired. Riggs equates the narrative to stages in the deceased’s journey through death to transfiguration.

Her analysis of the accompanying inscriptions reveals a predominance of now Greek versions of Egyptian names, implying a bilingual society. The question of cultural identity is further investigated in relation to images of the deceased in the style of orator-type portraits on the lids of wooden coffins from Abusir el-Meleq, and on the ‘Psychopomp’ shrouds from Saqqara. Riggs compares the image to contemporary commemorative sculpture and suggests that the intention may be to represent the deceased as a cult image. The Psychopomp shrouds portray the deceased within a portal, which Riggs interprets as representing the threshold between life and transfiguration.

She develops this theory in a discussion of images on tombs of the period at Akhmim and in the Dakhla Oasis where the orator-style image of the deceased alludes both to his cult status and his transition to the afterlife.

Chapter Four is dedicated to the funerary material from the Theban area, which retained its importance as a religious centre into the Roman Period. Although more conservative than art forms from other areas, the material does incorporate some new features. The traditional image of the goddess Nut is present on coffins of the Soter Group, but she is now clothed in contemporary costume and jewellery, and naturalistic portraiture is combined with traditional native imagery on mummy masks from Deir el- Bahri. Riggs’ detailed study of accompanying inscriptions and texts reveals that the deceased were members of local élites, were probably bilingual and devotees of local cults.

She concludes that in the Roman Period the concept of maintaining one’s status and gender into the afterlife became as important as the preservation of the corpse and transfiguration of the deceased. Far from being ‘degenerate’, the material manifests that patrons exercised choice as to how they wished to be depicted in death, being able to draw upon the characteristics of three artistic traditions.

The text is supplemented by numerous photographs, drawings and plates, together with an invaluable Appendix and Register of Museums. This study succeeds in placing the material in its rightful place as a fine example of what happens when three great artistic traditions meet and interact.

— Christina Riggs

The Beautiful Burial in Roman Egypt: Art, Identity and Funerary Religion (2005)

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:

These are radiocarbon dates. These have a margin off.

It is said the first contact with ancient Greeks was about 1000 BC.

Greek–Egyptian relations in the 7th to 6th centuries BC

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/online_research_catalogues/ng/naukratis_greeks_in_egypt/introduction/greek–egyptian_relations.aspx

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Didn't many of the samples predate Greek/Roman occupation? The dates however don't predate Canaan and Hyksos entry, and by about 1k BC there was Eastern genetic influences that extended all the way into Ethiopia.

Two of the sample heads listed in the peer
reviewed chart -- numbers 1622 and 1608 --
date to 800 BCE the 23rd Dynasty in the 3rd
intermediate period.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
quote:
While commonly believed to represent Greek settlers in Egypt, the Faiyum portraits instead reflect the complex synthesis of the predominant Egyptian culture and that of the elite Greek minority in the city. According to Walker, the early Ptolemaic Greek colonists married local women and adopted Egyptian religious beliefs, and by Roman times, their descendants were viewed as Egyptians by the Roman rulers, despite their own self-perception of being Greek. The dental morphology of the Roman-period Faiyum mummies was also compared with that of earlier The dental morphology of the Roman-period Faiyum mummies was also compared with that of earlier Egyptian populations, and was found to be "much more closely akin" to that of ancient Egyptians than to Greeks or other European populations.

Game over.

quote:
Not surprisingly, samples noted to exhibit
relatively high or low frequencies are most divergent.
Gebel Ramlah and the Greek Egyptians have identical
mean MMD values of 0.126.

Game over. (Substantial SSA component in Gebel Ramlah population doesn't help it score better [on average] than the 'Greek immigrant' sample. As with the recently sampled Natufian sample, samples with more SSA ancestry than a certain amount don't score better [e.g. Bedouin B with more SSA ancestry isn't closer to these Natufians than Bedouin A]).

quote:
Lastly, the Roman-period specimens are much more
closely akin to the seven dynastic samples. Kharga and
especially Hawara are most similar, based on their trait
concordance (Table 2)
, low and insignificant MMDs (Table
4), and positions within or near the cluster of 11 or so sam-
ples (Fig. 2).

Game over.

In short, AE changed over time to an EEF-like population. This is not specific to the Abusir sample, but part of a wider gradual phenomenon all over dynastic Egypt. Trying to blame this squarely on immigrants fails also, because predynastic Egyptians were already fundamentally akin to such EEF-like populations, albeit much more shifted towards Africans. This was already known since 2005 and even before that, but people just want to play dumb and have selective memory:

quote:
The Niger-Congo speakers (Congo, Dahomey, and Haya) cluster closely with each other and a bit less closely with the Nubian sample (both the recent and the Bronze Age Nubians) and more remotely with the Naqada Bronze Age sample of Egypt, the modern Somalis, and the Arabic-speaking Fellaheen (farmers) of Israel. When those samples are separated and run in a single analysis as in Fig. 1, there clearly is a tie between them that is diluted the farther one gets from Sub-Saharan Africa.
—Brace et al 2005

This Abusir population has lost (most of) this predynastic Egyptian African ancestry and wasn't any more African than EEF-like samples are. Whatever you want to argue the main affinity of this lost African ancestry was, it wasn't anything like DNA Tribes Great Lakes or South African region.

Game over.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sudanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think that areas around Luxor, Esna, Kom Ombo, Edfu and Aswan will turn up very different results from these Northern sites if they are sampled. The North and South may have been distinct from early dynastic times. When will this paper be released?
Posts: 1568 | From: Pluto | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sudanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swenet

When did the aforementioned areas in Upper Egypt lose their predynastic African ancestry? They still look like North Sudanese.

Posts: 1568 | From: Pluto | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Sudaniya

What is the skin color and general look of Copts from Sudan (if there is such a thing)? Years ago someone posted a movie featuring Copts from Sudan and the actors looked like this:

-

If that's accurate it shows that affinity to EEF samples doesn't have to mean a complete break in continuity. The Sudanese Copt sample clusters with early farmer groups but the individuals presumably still look like the individual in the pic above. I think the same applies to the Abusir sample. See the picture Beyoku posted.

It is therefore no surprise that living Upper Egyptians can look even more in the direction of northern Sudanese.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for sudanese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swenet

I have never personally come across a Sudanese Copt, but there are quite a few Egyptians in Khartoum and Omdurman -- more so when the economy was good. I have posted pages upon pages of pictures of modern Upper Egyptians and they look just like us.

I don't wish to come across as stubborn, Swenet, but I'll defer judgement until they get samples from the early dynastic South. I have learned a great deal from you, but your criticism of those that base their learning around threads is very much legitimate and so I will buckle down and try to understand this field a little more. Thank you.

Ps: The paper will come out this month, no?

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@Sudaniya

Noted. Just out of curiosity, though, how do you interpret the position of the dynastic Upper Egyptian samples on this dendrogram away from the predynastic samples and even the modern Elephantine sample (which clusters loosely with the Ugandan and Tanzanian samples). Note that the dynastic Upper Egyptian samples are from some of the areas you asked about, but they mostly cluster with samples from the north (both ancient and modern). If you don't have an explanation and want to wait in regards to this as well, let me know.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/beyoku/7.png
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/beyoku/6.png

sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
@Sudaniya

Noted. Just out of curiosity, though, how do you interpret the position of the dynastic Upper Egyptian samples on this dendrogram away from the predynastic samples and even the modern Elephantine sample (which clusters loosely with the Ugandan and Tanzanian samples). Note that the dynastic Upper Egyptian samples are from some of the areas you asked about, but they mostly cluster with dynastic samples from the north (both ancient and modern). If you don't have an explanation and want to wait in regards to this as well, let me know.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/beyoku/7.png
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/beyoku/6.png

I'm on my mobile as of now and I can't seem to zoom into that graph, but I will have a look when I get home and I may ask you questions in regards to it. Are these genetic samples or samples from bones and teeth? Didn't the Lower Nubians also change? And I read something about the role of diet. Please correct me if I have the wrong idea.
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
When you get behind a PC, you'll see that all of Kemp's dendrograms show a distinction between most Nubian samples and predynastic Egyptians on the one hand, and between most dynastic Egyptians on the other hand. This doesn't mean that there was a huge change everywhere at the same time. In PCA we would probably see a smoother transition with dynastic Upper Egyptians generally in between predynastic Egyptians and dynastic Lower Egyptians. However, it's obvious that dynastic Egyptian samples that are assigned to branches with Levantines (Lachish) and northern Egyptians (E Series, Sedment), rather than with predynastic Egyptians, share an admixture event(s).

You're correct that Lower Nubians also changed. Some of the Lower Nubians cluster with dynastic Egyptians. If that result has been replicated elsewhere, I would interpret that the same way (i.e. as involving that admixture event or something similar).

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
While commonly believed to represent Greek settlers in Egypt, the Faiyum portraits instead reflect the complex synthesis of the predominant Egyptian culture and that of the elite Greek minority in the city. According to Walker, the early Ptolemaic Greek colonists married local women and adopted Egyptian religious beliefs, and by Roman times, their descendants were viewed as Egyptians by the Roman rulers, despite their own self-perception of being Greek. The dental morphology of the Roman-period Faiyum mummies was also compared with that of earlier The dental morphology of the Roman-period Faiyum mummies was also compared with that of earlier Egyptian populations, and was found to be "much more closely akin" to that of ancient Egyptians than to Greeks or other European populations.

Game over.

quote:
Not surprisingly, samples noted to exhibit
relatively high or low frequencies are most divergent.
Gebel Ramlah and the Greek Egyptians have identical
mean MMD values of 0.126.

Game over. (Substantial SSA component in Gebel Ramlah population doesn't help it score better [on average] than the 'Greek immigrant' sample. As with the recently sampled Natufian sample, samples with more SSA ancestry than a certain amount don't score better [e.g. Bedouin B with more SSA ancestry isn't closer to these Natufians than Bedouin A]).

quote:
Lastly, the Roman-period specimens are much more
closely akin to the seven dynastic samples. Kharga and
especially Hawara are most similar, based on their trait
concordance (Table 2)
, low and insignificant MMDs (Table
4), and positions within or near the cluster of 11 or so sam-
ples (Fig. 2).

Game over.

In short, AE changed over time to an EEF-like population. This is not specific to the Abusir sample, but part of a wider gradual phenomenon all over dynastic Egypt. Trying to blame this squarely on immigrants fails also, because predynastic Egyptians were already fundamentally akin to such EEF-like populations, albeit much more shifted towards Africans. This was already known since 2005 and even before that, but people just want to play dumb and have selective memory:

quote:
The Niger-Congo speakers (Congo, Dahomey, and Haya) cluster closely with each other and a bit less closely with the Nubian sample (both the recent and the Bronze Age Nubians) and more remotely with the Naqada Bronze Age sample of Egypt, the modern Somalis, and the Arabic-speaking Fellaheen (farmers) of Israel. When those samples are separated and run in a single analysis as in Fig. 1, there clearly is a tie between them that is diluted the farther one gets from Sub-Saharan Africa.
—Brace et al 2005

This Abusir population has lost (most of) this predynastic Egyptian African ancestry and wasn't any more African than EEF-like samples are. Whatever you want to argue the main affinity of this lost African ancestry was, it wasn't anything like DNA Tribes Great Lakes or South African region.

Game over.

I have never argued "DNA Tribes Great Lakes or South African region" as the proximity for predynastic Egyptians or Egypt in general. My argument always has been that predynastic Egyptians originated from Sahara-Sahel populations and over time adapted to the region, based on climatology.

Question is: who were the Faiyum? And on the other hand who where the Romans since Romans had a cosmopolitan society?

quote:

On first study the mummy portraits of the Roman period give us a series of likenesses that appear to be carefully worked representations of particular people, but closer analysis has shown that the 'individual' traits are generally simply the quirks of a workshop or painter, emphasised by the repetitive and formulaic use of proportion but often concealed by fashions in hairstyles and beards. What is lacking is the detailed observation of the underlying proportions of the individual skull which gives each face its own personality.

However, a few portraits stand out by their sheer quality: the acid test of their fidelity would be a reconstruction based on the skull, a test which was carried out in Manchester on two portraits from Hawara now in the British Museum (EA 74713, EA 74718) in the wake of the "Ancient Faces" exhibition. The one proved to be a reasonable likeness as far as detail is concerned but failed in representing the overall proportions of the face, showing that the painter had merely adapted a standard workshop type; the other, although superficially also a standard type, comes much nearer the truth because the artist has rendered the proportions of his subject's face correctly.

—Prag, A.J.N.W. 'Proportion and personality in the Fayum Portraits', BMSAES 3 (2002), 55-63

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/bmsaes/issue3/prag.html

http://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/3d%20Proportion%20and%20personality.pdf

sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
quote:
When you get behind a PC, you'll see that all of Kemp's dendrograms show a distinction between most Nubian samples and predynastic Egyptians on the one hand, and between most dynastic Egyptians on the other hand. This doesn't mean that there was a huge change everywhere at the same time. In PCA we would probably see a smoother transition with dynastic Upper Egyptians generally in between predynastic Egyptians and dynastic Lower Egyptians. However, it's obvious that dynastic Egyptian samples that are assigned to branches with Levantines (Lachish) and northern Egyptians (E Series, Sedment), rather than with predynastic Egyptians, share an admixture event(s).

You're correct that Lower Nubians also changed. Some of the Lower Nubians cluster with dynastic Egyptians. If that result has been replicated elsewhere, I would interpret that the same way (i.e. as involving that admixture event or something similar).

This is interesting. This potential admixture event must have involved significant migration of "Eurasians" into the Nile valley at the start of the dynastic period and yet what I've read keeps on stressing that there is no evidence of mass migration into the Nile valley at that juncture in Nile valley history. I really expected "Eurasian" intrusion to have taken place much later on in the dynastic period and to have been concentrated just in the North.

I eagerly await the release of this paper.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^ In the meanwhile I hope for Tukuler to update us on this.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
@Sudaniya

What is the skin color and general look of Copts from Sudan (if there is such a thing)? Years ago someone posted a movie featuring Copts from Sudan and the actors looked like this:

https://traveltoeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Photo-20151212110137712.jpg

If that's accurate it shows that affinity to EEF samples doesn't have to mean a complete break in continuity. The Sudanese Copt sample clusters with early farmer groups but the individuals presumably still look like the individual in the pic above. I think the same applies to the Abusir sample. See the picture Beyoku posted.

It is therefore no surprise that living Upper Egyptians can look even more in the direction of northern Sudanese.

I did meet a Sudanese Copt many many years ago. He looked much like Mostafa Hefny.

-

The complexion is basically the same, or at least close.

Most people in Upper Egypt go from this color complexion to darker than that. And occasionally you'll see people lighter complexioned (yellowish).

sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
I can't remember who posted it, but I remember citations asserting that dynastic Egyptians were a continuum of the Badarian and Naqadan predynastic cultures. I really do want full spectrum DNA analysis of samples from early dynastic Southern Egypt to settle this. I just can't fathom how anthropologists, archaeologists and historians have never found evidence of mass migration into the Nile valley by "Eurasians" if this is to be believed. We are essentially entertaining the possibility of a gradual but substantial population replacement scenario. This would have engendered widespread conflict -and I assume- would have ample archaeological evidence on its side.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sudaniya:
I can't remember who posted it, but I remember citations asserting that dynastic Egyptians were a continuum of the Badarian and Naqadan predynastic cultures. I really do want full spectrum DNA analysis of samples from early dynastic Southern Egypt to settle this. I just can't fathom how anthropologists, archaeologists and historians have never found evidence of mass migration into the Nile valley by "Eurasians" if this is to be believed.

Dr. Salima Ikram Interview - news from Egypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stNCL7rsJeY

This guy, Youtuber contacted Sonia Zakrzewski:

The Sonia Email... ASuperEgyptian debunked by Sonia Zakrzewski

https://youtu.be/cM6SUx_cxPU

quote:

"Still, it appears that the process of state formation involved a large indigenous component. Outside influence and admixture with extraregional groups primarily occurred in Lower Egypt—perhaps during the later dynastic, but especially in Ptolmaic and Roman times (also Irish, 2006). No large-scale population replacement in the form of a foreign dynastic ‘race’ (Petrie, 1939) was indicated. Our results are generally consistent with those of Zakrzewski (2007). Using craniometric data in predynastic and early dynastic Egyptian samples, she also concluded that state formation was largely an indigenous process with some migration into the region evident. The sources of such migrants have not been identified; inclusion of additional regional and extraregional skeletal samples from various periods would be required for this purpose."

--Schillaci MA, Irish JD, Wood CC. 2009
Further analysis of the population history of ancient Egyptians.

quote:

These results suggest that the EDyn do form a distinct morphological pattern. Their overlap with other Egyptian samples (in PC space, Fig. 2) suggests that although their morphology is distinctive, the pattern does overlap with the other time periods. These results therefore do not support the Petrie concept of a Dynastic race" (Petrie, 1939; Derry, 1956). Instead, the results suggest that the Egyptian state was not the product of mass movement of populations into the Egyptian Nile region, but rather that it was the result of primarily indigenous development combined with prolonged small-scale migration, potentially from trade, military, or other contacts.

This evidence suggests that the process of state formation itself may have been mainly an indigenous process, but that it may have occurred in association with in-migration to the Abydos region of the Nile Valley.

This potential in-migration may have occurred particularly during the EDyn and OK.

A possible explanation is that the Egyptian state formed through increasing control of trade and raw materials, or due to military actions, potentially associated with the use of the Nile Valley as a corridor for prolonged small scale movements through the desert environment."

--Sonia R. Zakrzewski. (2007)
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sudaniya:
I can't remember who posted it, but I remember citations asserting that dynastic Egyptians were a continuum of the Badarian and Naqadan predynastic cultures. I really do want full spectrum DNA analysis of samples from early dynastic Southern Egypt to settle this. I just can't fathom how anthropologists, archaeologists and historians have never found evidence of mass migration into the Nile valley by "Eurasians" if this is to be believed. We are essentially entertaining the possibility of a gradual but substantial population replacement scenario. This would have engendered widespread conflict -and I assume- would have ample archaeological evidence on its side.

Would it? Is it hard to believe given where Egypt is situated, that 3-4% of it's population was affected? It for one thing held consistent relationship with southern Canaan since the predynastic/early dynastic era, they even became highly Egyptianized. Canaan then establishes a more independent relationship, and bases itself in Faiyum. THIS would be of more interest to me than the Hyksos because of how long Canaan's history and cultural exchange had been with Egypt. But yes, then you have the Hyksos that gradually migrate into (and take over) northern Egypt.

quote:
It has been determined that an average migration rate of one percent per generation into a region could result in a great change of the original gene frequencies in only several thousand years. (This assumes that all migrants marry natives and that all native-migrant offspring remain in the region.) It is obvious then that an ethnic group or nationality can change in average gene frequencies or physiognomy by intermarriage, unless social rules exclude the products of "mixed" unions from membership in the receiving group. More abstractly this means that geographically defined populations can undergo significant genetic change with a small percentage of steady assimilation of "foreign" genes. This is true even if natural selection does not favor the genes (and does not eliminate them).
1% can affect a population in several thousand years. A few extra percentage points and you can imagine how Egypt might've changed. I'm not saying I'm an all-knowing guru or anything, it just wouldn't strike me as especially difficult to conclude. I would even go further and imagine that by 1k BC, whatever occurred in Egypt spread throughout eastern Africa. Note: Apparently this study has been amended so that the scope of admixture only includes eastern Africa. It originally said it affected the whole continent.
sudanese
Member # 15779

Rate Member
The claim is not that a small percentage of ancient Egypt's population was affected by these movements into the Nile valley by "Eurasians" from the Levant in just one region of Egypt at the latter stages of Egypt's history, but that it was substantial enough to completely alter the demographic nature of the entire country immediately after the predynastic period -- something that doesn't sound all that gradual. This is the dynastic race theory all over again, except this time it doesn't merely assert that a small group of wandering Caucasians established themselves as the ruling elite of Egypt at the start of the predynastic period, but that they quickly became the majority of Egypt's population at every corner of Egypt.

The archaeological and anthropoligical evidence for this should have been immediately apparent to experts in the relevant disciplines. It should have been as bright as the sun. You would still expect some indigenous Northeast African genes - if these people were ethnic Egyptians.

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
But this is probably why the author of the paper mentions the impact of foreigners. All I can say is that I don't think this happened as as a major displacement event, or even a few. I imagine there were several periods of relatively heavier inflow: the Islamic expansion, Canaan and Hyksos settlement/expansions, etc. Still, I agree with the general idea that mixing started in northern Egypt during the predynastic and became more noticeable over thousands of years. By 1k BC we see the inflow reaches all the way to Ethiopia. So even Upper Egypt and Nubia should've experienced changes.

Anyway the link I posted, the author cites these studies for the ~3kya backflow event (which might offer a more specific time):

3) A.X. Sun, G. R. Crabtree, A. S. Yoo, Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 25, 215–221 (2013).

4) S. Thomsen, G. Azzam, R. Kaschula, L. S. Williams, C. R. Alonso,Development 137, 2951–2960 (2010).

Does anyone know how to read this?? What are the names of these studies?

capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an annoying citation format. You can google the journal title and look through the contents of the back issues to find the titles.

Those are the references to a paper about microRNAs in fruit flies though - the references you want are at the bottom of the article. [Smile]

Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@Ish Gebor
I should have been more clear, but if you notice, I was addressing the source you posted. It wasn't directed at you, just at people who try to pretend like you can sample Upper Egyptian samples and get fest of South African and Great Lakes aDNA. Maybe you can find that in some immigrant sample, but as far as ethnic Egyptians, that is completely ruled out by the source you posted and all the other data. One can either say they're more African versions of the recently sampled Natufians and ENF groups, who are partly African themselves, or (playing devil's advocate) one can try to argue that they're tropically adapted, dark skinned Eurasian immigrants a la Raxter and Irish. The latter camp are delusional also, but not more delusional than the DNA Tribes camp. At least they can cite data with a faint semblance to what they're saying. Keita's work doesn't even support the DNA Tribes camp. So who credible represents them in academia? No one. They are going out on a limb and selectively posting pictures of ancient statues, not actual physical anthropologists or geneticists who agree with them.

Whoever adheres to a literal interpretation of DNA Tribes, it's game over for them. They are just suspending disbelief at this point.

@Sudaniya

Noted.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Orginally posted by Swenet:
This doesn't mean that there was a huge change everywhere at the same time. In PCA we would probably see a smoother transition with dynastic Upper Egyptians generally in between predynastic Egyptians and dynastic Lower Egyptians.

Something like this:

-

http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1370585/1/HADDOW_PHD_THESIS.pdf

Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
@Swenet what did you think of my earlier post as far as a "flux" in SSA ancestry? Basically the Predynastic AE having more African ancestry which decreased over time though with there still being minor genetic contributions from SSA (and vice versa). Then after the post-Roman era with events like the Saharan Slave Trade, an increase in SSA in Modern Egyptians. I know Beyoku didnt really agree with it but you seem to basically describe something similar.

--------------------
 -

capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Oshun, the studies cited are:

Ancient west Eurasian ancestry in southern and eastern Africa

and

Ethiopian Genetic Diversity Reveals Linguistic Stratification and Complex Influences on the Ethiopian Gene Pool

Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
quote:
@Ish Gebor
I should have been more clear, but if you notice, I was addressing the source you posted. It wasn't directed at you, just at people who try to pretend like you can sample Upper Egyptian samples and get fest of South African and Great Lakes aDNA. Maybe you can find that in some immigrant sample, but as far as ethnic Egyptians, that is completely ruled out by the source you posted and all the other data. One can either say they're more African versions of the recently sampled Natufians and ENF groups, who are partly African themselves, or (playing devil's advocate) one can try to argue that they're tropically adapted, dark skinned Eurasian immigrants a la Raxter and Irish. The latter camp are delusional also, but not more delusional than the DNA Tribes camp. At least they can cite data with a faint semblance to what they're saying. Keita's work doesn't even support the DNA Tribes camp. So who credible represents them in academia? No one. They are going out on a limb and selectively posting pictures of ancient statues, not actual physical anthropologists or geneticists who agree with them.

Whoever adheres to a literal interpretation of DNA Tribes, it's game over for them. They are just suspending disbelief at this point.

@Sudaniya

Noted.

Tukuler demonstrated that the Tribes test was pulling on Dwarves and San. DnaConsultants confirmed that they had African derived genes. Where do you think people are delusional? Is it the Horn vs the rest of Africa? What did the STR test miss?
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ In the meanwhile I hope for Tukuler to update us on this.

Not sure what I sshould update? But I'll be as helpful as I can.

quote:
quote:

These are radiocarbon dates. These have a margin off.
centuries BC[/i]

BP

Based on the radiocarbon level of 1950.
These dates never correspond to the calendar
because the half-life age originally used was
inaccurate and atmospheric radiocarbon
concentration is not a constant.

C14 years BP

Raw uncalibrated radiocarbon date never to be
confused for an actual calendar year. Not much
useful to others not professionally educated in
research science.

calBP

Tree rings are used to calibrate radiocarbon
years for regular calendar year dates (still in
regards to 1950).

calBC & calAD

These are our calendar year expressions of calBP

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
@Ish Gebor

@Sudaniya

Noted.

-
 -
Ramses III

-
Ramses III

-
Pentaweret

quote:

The same study determined that the mummy of an unknown man buried with him was a good candidate for Ramesses's son Pentaweret although it could not determine his cause of death. Both mummies shared Y chromosomal haplogroup E1b1a and 50% of their genetic material, which Zink stated "is typical of a father-son relationship."

E1b1a

Nilo-Saharan 29.7% (Wood 2005)

Oromo, Ethiopia 62% (Hassan 2008)

Ethiopia 48.8

South Sudan (Nilotic) 0% (Hassan 2008)

West Sudan (Darfur) 0% (Hassan 2008)

Is this correct that Sudan is 0% E1b1a ??

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com