EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Egyptians had Semitic slaves?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Egyptians had Semitic slaves?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/קובץ:Figurine_from_Egypt_of_semitic_slave.jpg

Figurine from Egypt of semitic slave.jpg

-

-

-

-

יאור
עברית: צלמית של שבוי שמי, ידיו קשורות מאחור, ממצרים העתיקה. אסף מוזיאון הכט

Nile
The figurine of a prisoner of my name, his hands tied behind him, from ancient Egypt. Hecht Museum Collection

-

-

-

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siege of Lachish Reliefs at the British Museum

-

-

quote:

Nahum, Nineveh and Those Nasty Assyrians

He cleared the Delta of the Cushites (Ethiopians) in 667/666 BC and the Cushite ruler, Taharqa, fled to No-Amon.

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2009/05/28/Nahum2c-Nineveh-and-Those-Nasty-Assyrians.aspx

quote:
So shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptians prisoners, and the Ethiopians captives, young and old, naked and barefoot, even with their buttocks uncovered, to the shame of Egypt.
Isaiah 20:4
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close thread/
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
שמי is Semitic not my name.

The subdued people on the monument are Judahites.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
Close thread/

^ again the troll tries to divert the topic of the thread, an Egyptian figurine not an Assyrian relief
Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
[QB] שמי is Semitic not my name.

יאור
עברית: צלמית של שבוי שמי, ידיו קשורות מאחור, ממצרים העתיקה. אסף מוזיאון הכט

^ I put this through the translator and got

"Nile
The figurine of a prisoner of my name, his hands tied behind him, from ancient Egypt. Hecht Museum Collection"

So we come to שמי

and yes that seems not make sense in the sentence

https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/קובץ:Figurine_from_Egypt_of_semitic_slave.jpg

שמי

^ you're saying it's Semitic not "my name". What do you mean it's semitic?

Also him having his arms bound seems to indicate he's a foreigner. I couldn't find more information about this figurine.
Assuming he's Asiatic is it proper to call any Asiatic depicted by the AEs "Semitic" ?

Also slavery is documented in Egyptian records yet the man's arms are bound and the other caption in Hebrew says "prisoner" .
I conclude that they may be assuming he was a slave but may just be a prisoner as the Egyptians had both prisoners of war and slaves.
Did they turn all their prisoners of war into slaves? I'm not sure about it.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Hebrew language
שמי
can mean
• my name
• Semite
both are from shem/Shem

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Semite (n.) Look up Semite at Dictionary.com
1847, "a Jew, Arab, Assyrian, or Aramaean" (an apparently isolated use from 1797 refers to the Semitic language group), back-formation from Semitic or else from French Sémite (1845), from Modern Latin Semita, from Late Latin Sem "Shem," one of the three sons of Noah (Genesis x.21-30), regarded as the ancestor of the Semites (in old Bible-based anthropology), from Hebrew Shem. In modern sense said to have been first used by German historian August Schlözer in 1781.

—etymonline
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
Also him having his arms bound seems to indicate he's a foreigner.

Perhaps a foreign people took over? Seems more like it, historically.

quote:
Esarhaddon had taken Egypt on his second invasion in 671 BC. When he died, the Egyptians revolted and Ashurbanipal went to Egypt to put down this revolt. He cleared the Delta of the Cushites (Ethiopians) in 667/666 BC and the Cushite ruler, Taharqa, fled to No-Amon. On Ashurbanipal’s first campaign against Egypt he took 22 kings from the seacoast, with their armies, to help fight the Egyptians. Ashurbanipal claims that he “made those kings with their forces (and) their ships accompany me by sea and by land” (Rainey 1993:157). One of those kings was Manasseh, king of Judah, with his army.
http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2009/05/28/Nahum2c-Nineveh-and-Those-Nasty-Assyrians.aspx

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
Close thread/

^ again the troll tries to divert the topic of the thread, an Egyptian figurine not an Assyrian relief
LOL SMH You are to most pathetic individual ever.

Directly from the Tanakh:

דכֵּן יִנְהַג מֶלֶךְ אַשּׁוּר אֶת שְׁבִי מִצְרַיִם וְאֶת

גָּלוּת כּוּשׁ נְעָרִים וּזְקֵנִים עָרוֹם וְיָחֵף וַחֲשׂוּפַי

שֵׁת עֶרְוַת מִצְרָיִם:

הוְחַתּוּ וָבֹשׁוּ מִכּוּשׁ מַבָּטָם וּמִן מִצְרַיִם

תִּפְאַרְתָּם:

ווְאָמַר ישֵׁב הָאִי הַזֶּה בַּיּוֹם הַהוּא הִנֵּה כֹה

מַבָּטֵנוּ אֲשֶׁר נַסְנוּ שָׁם לְעֶזְרָה לְהִנָּצֵל מִפְּנֵי

מֶלֶךְ אַשּׁוּר וְאֵיךְ נִמָּלֵט אֲנָחְנוּ:

-

Close thread/

Tukuler
Member # 19944

-

דכֵּן יִנְהַג מֶלֶךְ אַשּׁוּר אֶת שְׁבִי מִצְרַיִם וְאֶת
גָּלוּת כּוּשׁ נְעָרִים וּזְקֵנִים

British museum says Nubian and
Egyptian POWs and captive civvies
but I don't think them on the lower
far right are Egyptian. Not by the
women's clothes nor by the couple
men that look to have beards to me.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:

Also slavery is documented in Egyptian records yet the man's arms are bound and the other caption in Hebrew says "prisoner" .
I conclude that they may be assuming he was a slave but may just be a prisoner as the Egyptians had both prisoners of war and slaves.

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com