EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » New Ancient Levant Study (Haber et al. 2017)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Ancient Levant Study (Haber et al. 2017)
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this nice little gem on another forum. And since there have been many discussions on Levantine populations I think this study should be of interest. Also it seems to touch base on that Lazaridis et al study. But I find very interesting is that they claim J linages was completely absent in the Natifians and that they were recent lineages to the area. That really caught my eyes. Another thing that caught my attention was that they say the samples had the allele SLC45A2 and so they would have been very dark skinned like the Ancient Greek authors noted and this was during the BRONZE age. Interesting...

Anyways enjoy...

Continuity and admixture in the last five millennia of Levantine history from ancient Canaanite and present-day Lebanese genome sequences

quote:

The Canaanites inhabited the Levant region during the Bronze Age and established a culture which became influential in the Near East and beyond. However, the Canaanites, unlike most other ancient Near Easterners of this period, left few surviving textual records and thus their origin and relationship to ancient and present-day populations remain unclear. In this study, we sequenced five wholegenomes from ~3,700-year-old individuals from the city of Sidon, a major Canaanite city-state on the Eastern Mediterranean coast. We also sequenced the genomes of 99 individuals from present-day Lebanon to catalogue modern Levantine genetic diversity. We find that a Bronze Age Canaan-related ancestry was widespread in the region, shared among urban populations inhabiting the coast (Sidon) and inland populations (Jordan) who likely lived in farming societies or were pastoral nomads.

This Canaanite-related ancestry derived from mixture between local Neolithic populations and eastern migrants genetically related to Chalcolithic Iranians. We estimate, using linkage-disequilibrium decay patterns, that admixture occurred 6,600-3,550 years ago, coinciding with massive population movements in the mid-Holocene triggered by aridification ~4,200 years ago. We show that presentday Lebanese derive most of their ancestry from a Canaanite-related population, which therefore implies substantial genetic continuity in the Levant since at least the Bronze Age. In addition, we find Eurasian ancestry in the Lebanese not present in Bronze Age or earlier Levantines. We estimate this Eurasian ancestry arrived in the Levant around 3,750-2,170 years ago during a period of successive conquests by distant populations such as the Persians and Macedonians.

[...]

The PCA shows that Sidon_BA clusters with three individuals from Early Bronze Age Jordan (Jordan_BA) found in a cave above the Neolithic site of ‘Ain Ghazal and probably associated with an Early Bronze Age village close to the site.13 This suggests that people from the highly differentiated urban culture on the Levant coast and inland people with different modes of subsistence were nevertheless genetically similar, supporting previous reports that the different cultural groups who inhabited the Levant during the Bronze Age, such as the Ammonites, Moabites, Israelites and Phoenicians, each achieved their own cultural identities but all shared a common genetic and ethnic root with Canaanites.15 Lazaridis et al.13 reported that Jordan_BA can be modelled as mixture of Neolithic Levant (Levant_N) and Chalcolithic Iran (Iran_ChL). We computed the statistic f4(Levant_N, Sidon_BA; Ancient Eurasian, Chimpanzee) and found populations from the Caucasus and Iran shared more alleles with Sidon_BA than with Neolithic Levant (Figure 2A). We then used qpAdm8 (with parameter allsnps: YES) to test if Sidon_BA can be modelled as mixture of Levant_N and any other ancient population in the dataset and found good support for the model of Sidon_BA being a mixture of Levant_N (48.4± 4.2%) and Iran_ChL (51.6± 4.2%) (Figure 2B; Table S3).

In addition, the two Sidon_BA males carried the Y-chromosome haplogroups39 J-P58 (J1a2b) and JM12 (J2b) (Table 1 and S4; Figure S9), both common male lineages in the Near East today. We compiled frequencies of Y-chromosomal haplogroups in this geographical area and their changes over time in a dataset of ancient and modern Levantine populations (Figure S10), and note, similarly to Lazaridis et al.,13 that haplogroup J was absent in all Natufian and Neolithic Levant male individuals examined thus far, but emerged during the Bronze Age in Lebanon and Jordan along with ancestry related to Iran. All five Sidon_BA individuals had different mitochondrial DNA haplotypes40 (Table 1), belonging to paragroups common in present-day Lebanon and nearby regions (Table S5) but with additional derived variants not observed in our present-day Lebanese dataset. We next sought to estimate the time when the Iranian ancestry penetrated the Levant."

http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/05/26/142448
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Swenet @Ish @Beyoku @Tukuler really wanna hear yall thoughts and see how this correlates with the recent discussions on the Natufians.

From what I am getting it seems modern Levantine populations are distant from their neolithic ancestors.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give in-depth comments on all these recent aDNA papers elsewhere.

Why not join the discussion on forumbiodiversity? I'm sure there is a thread open there with informative comments peppered in between the bs.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Concerned member of public
Banned
Member # 22355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Concerned member of public   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afronuts already distorting what this study says about pigmentation alleles. [Embarrassed]

These ancient Sidon samples all carried the derived SLC24A5 allele, but not derived SLC45A2; the former explains 40% of the mean inter-group variation in skin pigmentation observed between West Africans and Europeans. So the fact, Sidonians carried this in high frequency means they were not "very dark brown". Haber et al. 2017 describe Sidon pigmentation as "intermediate" similar to modern Lebanese ("light intermediate"). Also if you look at Bronze Age frequency for Europeans of derived SLC45A2 (particularly southern Europeans) they had a considerably lower % than today.

Mathieson et al 2015:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l1YmSXd7yQA/VhlDdgADsfI/AAAAAAAAAx0/081XEAvT0PQ/s1600/pigmentation%2BMathieson.jpg

Bronze Age Europeans of course weren't though "very dark skinned" (black). So this argument is nonsense.

Posts: 949 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
I'll give in-depth comments on all these recent aDNA papers elsewhere.

Why not join the discussion on forumbiodiversity? I'm sure there is a thread open there with informative comments peppered in between the bs.

1. I tried joining Forumbiodiversity many times and when I do the admins hardly if EVER accept my posts.

2. I wouldn't get you guys input. I wanted to get your input since we been discussing this type of topic many times.

@Cass

I usually ignore you, but where the heck am I distorting the study? All I;m saying is that they carried a darker skinned gene(which the study states) nothing more nothing less.

More importantly the study said THIS:

quote:
"In addition, SNPs associated with phenotypic traits show Sidon_BA and the Lebanese had comparable skin, hair, and eye colours (in general: light intermediate skin pigmentation, brown eyes and dark hair) with similar frequencies of the underlying causal variants in SLC24A5 and HERC2, but with Sidon_BA probably having darker skin than Lebanese today from variants in SLC45A2 resulting in darker pigmentation (Table S2)."

They carried SLC45A2 which you're claiming they did not.

Nice try tho.

Banned
Member # 22355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Concerned member of public   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is ancestral/derived SLC24A5 & SLC45A2 alleles; derived = light skin, ancestral = dark skin. The ancient Sidonians carried derived SLC24A5, but ancestral SLC45A2. So they basically had an intermediate skin colour, instead you described this as "very dark" which is false. Also, the ancient Greeks did not notice much, if any, skin-pigmentation difference between themselves and Levant peoples.
Posts: 949 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
^Fact is that they were darker than the modern inhabitants which is a fact. I agree "very dark" is subjective but again that does not dismiss what the study said about them being much darker than modern day Levantine people.

And I don't think you're up to speed how classical Greeks described the Syrians(Ancient Levantines) into two groups one being lighter toned and the other darker toned.

capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BlessedbyHorus, everyone carries SLC45A2 - it's a gene, not an allele. It codes for a protein involved in melanin production. Sometimes people use the gene name alone when they mean a certain allele within the gene, but this is incorrect and confusing.

I found a somewhat outdated but still useful review, Sturm (2009) "Molecular genetics of human pigmentation diversity", online at http://www.openwetware.org/images/c/cb/Eye_color_3.pdf

Razib Khan had an article about pigmentation genes a long time ago with a handy map: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2013/08/pigmentation-phylogeny-history-and-adaptation/#.WSxcj4WcFy0

He mentions a sample of modern Ethiopians (n=104, from Addis Abbaba) had zero SLC45A2 light skin allele - even though modern Egyptians (and Arabs) have a fair bit of it - but OTOH Ethiopians do have a considerable frequency of the SLC24A5 light skin variant. So is there just high selection against the first one for some reason, or did the MENA ancestors of Ethiopians lack that variant.

Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
@Capra

Thanks for the explanation. Even though I'm not sure if I can trust Razib Khan based on the past stuff he said but thanks nonetheless.

And yeah it can be confusing. I assume when they mentioned SLC45A2 they were referring to the allele within the gene that gave them darker skin.

Banned
Member # 22355

Rate Member
@ BlessedbyHorus

Can you stop with the dishonesty? I pick up on what you cronies do all the time and you know what you just did. With the above quote you deliberately cut off the first part of sentence:

quote:
SNPs associated with phenotypic traits show Sidon_BA and the Lebanese had comparable skin, hair, and eye colours (in general: light intermediate skin pigmentation, brown eyes and dark hair) with similar frequencies of the underlying causal variants in SLC24A5 and HERC2, but with Sidon_BA probably having darker skin than Lebanese today from variants in SLC45A2 resulting in darker pigmentation (Table S2).
Bold is what you cut off, to distort this study as saying the Sidonians are "much darker than modern day Levantine people" (your words) when its not doing that at all. It actually says the ancient Sidonians and modern Lebanese had "in general: light intermediate skin pigmentation", but that the former were darker to some degree since they didn't carry derived SLC45A2. It doesn't though say they were "much" darker, or "very dark".

As for Strabo calling peoples above the Taurus mountains Leukosyri, and those below, Melanosyri- there's no evidence this is pigmentation based. On the contrary, Manilius in his Astronomica (720 ff.) seems to describe Syrian skin colour the same as Greeks-

quote:
perque [b]coloratas[b] subtilis Graecia gentes gymnasium praefert vultu fortisque palaestras, et Syriam produnt torti per tempora crines.
coloratas/colorati = "tanned"/"brownish", see also Mart. X. 68 (colorati etrusci), i.e. Etruscans were the same light brown skin shade.
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
I didn't cut out **** but only showed you what you pretended wasnt there. You claimed they didn't carry SLC45A2. I then show you that the study claims they did. And now you're damage controlling all over the place.

I don't know what the bolded has to do with anything when in that SAME quote it states Sidon_BA having darker skin than the modern inhabitants. Right now you're just playing word games. Again whether they were "very dark"(ancient Egyptians did depict some as "very dark) or not is moot when the fact is they were darker than the modern inhabitants.

And what do you mean theres no evidence?

quote:
the populations of the one and other Cappadoce, Cappadoce Taurique and Cappadoce Pontique, even nowadays, are often called Leucosyri or Syrian white, by opposition apparently to other Syrians known as Melanosyri or Black Syrians, who can be only the Syrians established across Taurus, and, when I say Taurus, I give to this name his greater extension, I prolong the chain until Amanus.[Antioch]."
Strabo
Geography 16:1:2

There are many sources from the Greeks describing Melanosyris as dark skinned compared to the lighter ones. You saying there is no evidence of it being pigmentation based is just reaching.

Anyways, I'm not getting into this back for forth with you like others do. So don't even try it.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:
1. I tried joining Forumbiodiversity many times and when I do the admins hardly if EVER accept my posts.

I had the same thing a few times, years ago.

quote:

@Cass

I usually ignore you, but where the heck am I distorting the study? All I;m saying is that they carried a darker skinned gene(which the study states) nothing more nothing less.

More importantly the study said THIS:

quote:
"In addition, SNPs associated with phenotypic traits show Sidon_BA and the Lebanese had comparable skin, hair, and eye colours (in general: light intermediate skin pigmentation, brown eyes and dark hair) with similar frequencies of the underlying causal variants in SLC24A5 and HERC2, but with Sidon_BA probably having darker skin than Lebanese today from variants in SLC45A2 resulting in darker pigmentation (Table S2)."

They carried SLC45A2 which you're claiming they did not.

Nice try tho.

You were correct when you said not to give Cass any attention. He gets frustrated when West African, negroid alleles come near.

rs916977

http://www.genecards.org/Search/Keyword?queryString=rs916977

rs1667394

http://www.genecards.org/Search/Keyword?queryString=rs1667394

quote:

code:
 HERC2 BEH3 rs916977 26,186,959 T/C 0.044–0.987 

code:
 HERC2 BEH3 rs1667394 26,203,777 G/A 0.044–0.987 

In our data, with the exception of a low frequency haplotype in Africa, rs916977 and rs1667394 are in nearly complete LD. Therefore, we treat them as another haplotype system, BEH3, blue-eye associated haplotype #3.

—Michael P. Donnelly
A global view of the OCA2-HERC2 region and pigmentation (2012)

quote:
The Ala111Thr variant of SLC24A5 proved
the most striking, being nearly fixed in Europeans (495%)
due to local Darwinian positive selection, but extremely rare
in Africans and East Asians (Lamason et al. 2005)

—Zhaohui Yang
A Genetic Mechanism for Convergent Skin Lightening during Recent Human Evolution (2016)

The weird thing however is:
quote:
Oculocutaneous albinism (OCA) is a heterogeneous and autosomal recessive disorder with hypopigmentation in the eye, hair, and skin color. Four genes, TYR, OCA2, TYRP1, and SLC45A2, have been identified as causative genes for nonsyndromic OCA1-4, respectively. The genetic identity of OCA5 locus on 4q24 is unknown. Additional unknown OCA genes may exist as at least 5% of OCA patients have not been characterized during mutational screening in several populations. We used exome sequencing with a family-based recessive mutation model to determine that SLC24A5 is a previously unreported candidate gene for nonsyndromic OCA, which we designate as OCA6. Two deleterious mutations in this patient, c.591G>A and c.1361insT, were identified. We found apparent increase of immature melanosomes and less mature melanosomes in the patient's skin melanocytes. However, no defects in the platelet dense granules were observed, excluding typical Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome (HPS), a well-known syndromic OCA. Moreover, the SLC24A5 protein was reduced in steady-state levels in mouse HPS mutants with deficiencies in BLOC-1 and BLOC-2. Our results suggest that SLC24A5 is a previously unreported nonsyndromic OCA candidate gene and that the SLC24A5 transporter is transported into mature melanosomes by HPS protein complexes.
—Wei AH et al.

J Invest Dermatol. 2013 Jul;133(7):1834-40. doi: 10.1038/jid.2013.49. Epub 2013 Jan 30.

Exome sequencing identifies SLC24A5 as a candidate gene for nonsyndromic oculocutaneous albinism.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at colour, the first predictable
ES concern, only 4 Sidonians covered.
They lived contemporary to the very
end of Dyn 13. That's 500 years before
the Phoenicians set out colonizing.

SLC45A2 rs16891982 CC - black hair
SLC45A2 rs26722 CT - tend toward dark hair eyes skin
HERC2 rs1291382 AA - mostly brown eyes
HERC2 rs1291382 AG - brown eyes
SLC24A5 rs1426654 AA - likely light skin

The four 1700 BCE Sidonians are
black haired, brown eyed, individuals
evenly split between intermediate and
light complexions.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anybody familiar with the history of human evolution or geography should be shocked about this as humans originated in a tropical environment and hence maintained "tropical" features and black or brown skin for a very long time after OOA in all parts of the planet. Likewise it shouldn't be shocking that populations close to Africa would have darker skin as well.
Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
I don't think anybody familiar with the history of human evolution or geography should be shocked about this as humans originated in a tropical environment and hence maintained "tropical" features and black or brown skin for a very long time after OOA in all parts of the planet. Likewise it shouldn't be shocking that populations close to Africa would have darker skin as well.

Doug, I don't want to keep posting the same over-and-over.

quote:
African and Middle Eastern populations shared the greatest number of alleles absent from all other populations (fig. S6B).

-

-

—Sarah A. Tishkoff,
The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is controversy about who, when and where the Bedoiuns of Arabia came from. To some Afro-Centric the Bedoiuns migrated from Arabia to North Africa. Others believe they migrated from further South – Yemen. Apparently neither is correct. Here the great tool (Population Genetic)s have answered the question.

To those who don’t know. Bedouins are threated like native Americans in The Levant. There is a thread on ESR on how they are threated.
---

QUOTES from ---

Human Diversity In Jordan: Polymorphic Alu Insertions In General Jordanian And Bedouin Groups - Daniela Zanetti

Abstract. Jordan, located in the Levant region, is a crucial area to investigate human migration between Africa and Eurasia. Even thought, the genetic history of Jordanians is far to be clarified including the origin of the Bedouins today resident in Jordan. Here, we provide new genetic data on autosomal independent markers in TWO Jordanian population samples (Bedouins and general population) in order to approach the genetic diversity inside this country and to give new information about the genetic position of these populations in the frame of the Mediterranean and Middle East area. The analyzed markers are 18 Alu polymorphic insertions characterized by their identity by descent, known ancestral state (lack of insertion) and their apparent selective neutrality.
The results indicate significant genetic differences between Bedouins and General Jordanians (p= 0.038) from the 18 markers. Whereas Bedouins show a close genetic proximity to North African, General Jordanians appear genetically as more similar to other Middle East populations. In general, the data of this study are consistent with the hypothesis that Bedouins have had an important role in the peopling of Jordan and constitute the ORIGINAL SUBSTRATE of the current population. However, migration into Jordan in RECENT YEARS likely has contributed to the diversity among current Jordanian population groups.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1978/bedouins-arabia-origins#ixzz4iZ7tvSOm

Population relationships within Jordan indicate that the Bedouins, CLOSER to North Africans, show an intermediate position between these populations and Eastern Mediterraneans, while General Jordanians cluster with Eastern Mediterranean populations

Concerning differentiation within Jordan, this study indicates a SIGNIFICANT difference between Bedouins and urban inhabitants of Jordan (p=0.038). Out of the 18 autosomal insertion markers, three of them are statistically different (DM: p= 0.015, Hs2.43: p=0.01, and ACE: p=0.005). Considering the relatively small sample size, the genetic differences found point to a clear separation between these two groups.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1978/bedouins-arabia-origins#ixzz4iZ8bw1HT

The most striking characteristic of the Dead Sea sample is the high prevalence of R1*-M173 lineages (40%), contrasting with the lack of them and of its derivates R1b3-M269 in Bedouin from Nebel et al. (2001) and its low frequencies in Amman. It is worth mentioning that until now, similar frequencies for R1*-M173 have only been found in northern Cameroon[]/b] (Cruciani et al. 2002). The possibility that[b] the Dead Sea and Cameroon are isolated remnants of a past broad human expansion deserves future studies.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1978/bedouins-arabia-origins#ixzz4iZ95OFRz

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote: “
R1*-M173 frequency (40%) has until now only been found in northern Cameroonian samples. This contrasts with the comparatively low presence of J representatives (9%), which is the modal clade in Middle Eastern populations, including Amman. The Dead Sea sample also showed a high presence of E3b3a-M34 lineages (31%), which is only comparable to that found in Ethiopians. Although ancient and recent ties with sub-Saharan and eastern Africans cannot be discarded, it seems that isolation, strong drift, and/or founder effects are responsible for the anomalous Y-chromosome pool of this population. These results demonstrate that, at a fine scale, the smooth, continental clines”

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1978/bedouins-arabia-origins#ixzz4iZAuoHcs

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBH

You asked me to comment.
I did.
But I get no feedback.
I need appraisal and critique
I can't grow without them.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
Looking at colour, the first predictable
ES concern, only 4 Sidonians covered.
They lived contemporary to the very
end of Dyn 13. That's 500 years before
the Phoenicians set out colonizing.

Correct me if I am wrong buy during that time wasn't PART of the Levant colonized by AE?

quote:
SLC45A2 rs16891982 CC - black hair
SLC45A2 rs26722 CT - tend toward dark hair eyes skin
HERC2 rs1291382 AA - mostly brown eyes
HERC2 rs1291382 AG - brown eyes
SLC24A5 rs1426654 AA - likely light skin

When would you say the allele for lighter skin arose there?

quote:
The four 1700 BCE Sidonians are
black haired, brown eyed, individuals
evenly split between intermediate and
light complexions.

Interesting because the AE did depict the diverse array of skin tone for the Ancient Levantines.
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

Doug, I don't want to keep posting the same over-and-over.

quote:
African and Middle Eastern populations shared the greatest number of alleles absent from all other populations (fig. S6B).

-

-

—Sarah A. Tishkoff,
The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans

Thanks for posting this because it can be very helpful in the future.
Tukuler
Member # 19944

The exact time of the 5 Sidonian samples
is at the very beginning of Egy colonization.
Expeditions were going on in S Levant. The
Hyksos were soon to come on the scene.

I doubt SLC24A5 rs1426654 AA arose there.
The uniparentals indicate infusion from folk
beyond the Levant. None of the three females
or two males have the same haplogroup. Was
cosmopolitan.

Again extrapolating results of a spatio-temporal
capsuled sample set outside of its bounds is
cautioned. However extremely llimited, they do
accurately rep their precise time and locality.

I expect Ish will post the dig's in situ images.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
There is controversy about who, when and where the Bedoiuns of Arabia came from. To some Afro-Centric the Bedoiuns migrated from Arabia to North Africa. Others believe they migrated from further South – Yemen. Apparently neither is correct. Here the great tool (Population Genetic)s have answered the question.

Actually according to Afrocentric sources the ancient Yemeni population originated from East Africans (Horn). Even so far, that I've heard Somalis claim to be the original Arabs.

Arabic tradition says the original Arabs originated from Yemen. Most likely the Socotra represent this ancient population from the South.

quote:
The majority of NRY haplotypes in Soqotra belong to haplogroup J (85.7%)
—Viktor Cˇ erny ́
Out of Arabia—The Settlement of Island Soqotra as Revealed by Mitochondrial and Y Chromosome Genetic Diversity

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
To those who don’t know. Bedouins are threated like native Americans in The Levant.

This is true. And I have posted images of Bedouins from the Levant. These are similar to the ancient descriptions by ancient Egyptians.

But if haplo J was absent in all Natufian and Neolithic Levant male individuals, it most likely originated indeed further South, Yemen.

quote:
…that haplogroup J was absent in all Natufian and Neolithic Levant male individuals examined thus far,…

http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/05/26/142448
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
The exact time of the 5 Sidonian samples
is at the very beginning of Egy colonization.
Expeditions were going on in S Levant. The
Hyksos were soon to come on the scene.

I doubt SLC24A5 rs1426654 AA arose there.
The uniparentals indicate infusion from folk
beyond the Levant. None of the three females
or two males have the same haplogroup. Was
cosmopolitan.

Again extrapolating results of a spatio-temporal
capsuled sample set outside of its bounds is
cautioned. However extremely llimited, they do
accurately rep their precise time and locality.

I expect Ish will post the dig's in situ images.

Sorry, I can't help you with this. It needs research time.
capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But if haplo J was absent in all Natufian and Neolithic Levant male individuals, it most likely originated indeed further South, Yemen.

J1b in Georgia about 11 500 BC. J2a in Iran about 9000 BC, in Georgia about 7700 BC, in Anatolia about 6300 BC, Copper Age Iran about 4700 BC. J in Mesolithic NW Russia about 5500 BC too.

Appearance of J in Levant coincides with arrival of Iranian Chalcolithic type of ancestry there.

No data from Arabia though.

Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

OK, Natufian relationships was the
first thing up before colour came up.

The Levant archaeology timeline of
nrY haplogroups based on a total of
just 17 samples show Natufian C &
E continuing in PPNB where H & T
enter.

The single PPNC sample is C.
Natufian E has dropped out.

By the Sidonian samples time
(MB1?) J, a new introduction,
is the solo nrY haplogroup.
No Natufian continuity
per this measure.

f4 stats place Natufians
far from bronze Sidon.

The qpAdm results say the
Sidonian samples are 50%
neolithic Levantine. The
other half is chalcolithic
Iran. Early bronze Jordan
is the same qpAdm mix.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by capra:
quote:

J1b in Georgia about 11 500 BC. J2a in Iran about 9000 BC, in Georgia about 7700 BC, in Anatolia about 6300 BC, Copper Age Iran about 4700 BC. J in Mesolithic NW Russia about 5500 BC too.

Appearance of J in Levant coincides with arrival of Iranian Chalcolithic type of ancestry there.

No data from Arabia though.

Is this pattern correct?

M168 => M89 => J-M267

quote:
To resume, our results clearly reject the scenario put forward so far of a strict correlation between the Arab expansion in historical times and the overall pattern of distribution of J1-related chromosomes. Similarly, the causal association between STR-defined haplotypes and ethnic groups appear without any robust support, making its use inadequate for forensic or genealogical purposes. Instead, J1 variation provided the genetic background to correlate climatic changes to human demographic and socio-cultural events scarcely documented in the archaeological record – the dispersal of hunter gatherers after the termination of glacial conditions in the late Pleistocene and the desertification-driven retreat of tribes of Saharan and Arabian foragers in the transition to a food-producing economy.
—Sergio Tofanelli et al.

J1-M267 Y lineage marks climate-driven pre-historical human displacements

European Journal of Human Genetics (2009) 17, 1520 – 1524

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
In comparison with datasets from neighboring regions, the Soqotri population shows evidence of long-term isolation and autochthonous evolution of several mitochondrial haplogroups.
—Viktor Cˇ erny ́
Out of Arabia—The Settlement of Island Soqotra as Revealed by Mitochondrial and Y Chromosome Genetic Diversity

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
I just wanna thank yall for the good responses.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com