EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » New Keita study on predynastic upper and lower Egyptians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Keita study on predynastic upper and lower Egyptians
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A preliminary analysis of diachronic craniometric geographical variation during the Predynastic-Early Dynastic period: possible population implications for the theories of the merger of upper and lower Egypt.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm can you post it?? Is there a link? What are some of the points???
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness told me about the study and I found the full text here

https://www.academia.edu/29528126/A_preliminary_analysis_of_diachronic_craniometric_geographical_variation_during_the_Predynastic-Early_Dynastic_period_possible_population_implicat ions_for_the_theories_of_the_merger_of_upper_and_lower_Egypt

Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
The study confirms that Lower Egypt was colonized by people from the south. The Maadi sample from Lower Egypt is proof of this according to the authors.
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by .Charlie Bass.:
The study confirms that Lower Egypt was colonized by people from the south. The Maadi sample from Lower Egypt is proof of this according to the authors.

Consistent with history
4:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6uhrQSIvLI&t=314s

Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know why this thread hasn't gotten much attention.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah really interesting I need to read the full study, but I guess every one else is more attracted to the drama in other threads.

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:
Don't know why this thread hasn't gotten much attention.

Not to be crass, but if there is no unique analysis or insight, I'm not really looking for another Keita study talking about Egyptian metric relationships. I already have about 5. My criticism of Keita is that he doesn't uncover phylogenetic relationships. Craniofacially negroid populations will group with similarly negroid populations in his work even though they may be completely different in a genetic sense. Individuals from the Lachish collection might cluster with the Gabonese sample and Keita typically won't investigate further if the crania in question have West/Central African-specific traits or if it's just superficial case broad nose type stuff. Taforalt, many early farmers, etc had broad noses too. And we all know how those samples turned out aDNA wise. aDNA has set the bar high for physical anthropologists.

But that only explains my lack of commentary. I can't speak for everyone. And also this is just to say it's not for me right now. Others might get a lot of value from another look at this issue.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Taforalt was said to already show "Caucasoid traits" so your point being? Keita never studied Taforalt and Taforalt lacked SSA mtDNA only. but no autosomal nor Y-Chromosome study was carried out of said remains so your point?
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you think they would be assigned properly in Keita's variable design of cranial length breadth, facial breadth, nasal breadth, etc.?
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
So, you think they would be assigned properly in Keita's variable design of cranial length breadth, facial breadth, nasal breadth, etc.?

According to Colin Groves they do plot with so called "Caucasoids"
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
COLIN P. GROVES AND ALAN THORNE 1999 The Terminal Pleistocene and Early Holocene Populations of Northern Africa. Homo 50(3):249-262. ISSN 0018-442X.

Abstract:

We studied three northern African samples of human cranial remains from the Pleistocene/Holocene boundary: Afalou-bou-Rhummel, Taforalt, and Sudanese Nubia (Jebel Sahaba and Tushka), and compared them to late Pleistocene Europeans and Africans. Despite their relatively late dates, all three of our own samples exhibit the robusticity typical of late Pleistocene Homo sapiens. As far as population affinities are concerned, Taforalt is Caucasoid and closely resembles late Pleistocene Europeans, Sudanese Nubia is Negroid, and Afalou exhibits an intermediate status. Evidently the Caucasoid/Negroid transition has fluctuated north and south over time, perhaps following the changes in the distribution of climatic zones.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
I personally don't think Taforalt are 'Caucasoid', but they do have a large a amount of Eurasian.

BTW, my criticism of Keita above was not completely fair. I revisited his work just now and most of his other studies have more variables than the mere 7 used in the study cited in the OP. Keita usually has 12 or 13 variables, which is more than I gave him credit for earlier.

But Keita should update his work and use more modern variable sets and more relevant samples. If his point is that "Agro-Nostratic" people did not fundamentally change predynastics, why compare modern European Norse, Berg and Zalavar to ancient Egyptians (Keita 2005). He should use ancient Europeans and Levantines dating to the time of the introduction of farming in Egypt.

Also, if Keita actually manually measured crania from Lachish (meaning if he has visually seen them), I have a hard time believing that he himself was convinced that his subset actually resembles Gabonese. I also have a hard time believing that he himself believes Badarian affinities warrant a large distance from the Naqada sample and an almost identical position along function 1 with the Teita and Gabonese (Keita 1988, figure 3). Anyone who has seen images of 'average' Badarians knows that is highly dubious.

^And I say that to say this. Proving 'negroid' morphology is not something that should be a goal in and of itself. This should be investigated further using traits diagnostic of regional ancestry.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Full paper without having to request PDF
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kanya_Godde/publication/309533396_A_preliminary_analysis_of_diachronic_craniometric_geographical_variation_during_the_Predynastic-Early_Dynasti c_period_possible_population_implications_for_the_theories_of_the_merger_of_upper_and_lower/links/592ddb9c0f7e9beee7330bca/A-preliminary-analysis-of-diachronic-craniometric-geograp hical-variation-during-the-Predynastic-Early-Dynastic-period-possible-population-implications-for-the-theories-of-the-merger-of-upper-and-lower.pdf?origin=publication_list

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thumbs up! but link dead. Anyone else

I agree that aDNA has transformed the discussion about AEians. aDNA has upstaged anthropology. aDNA takes us back in time and shows clear affinity as with the Amarnas, Rameses III , Man E, Nakht/Khnum brothers even the Abusir mummies. All clearly African. Abusir are labelled “Eurasian” but Eurasian was created in Africa so it is not unexpected to find “Eurasian’ in Africa. Even BEFORE the inception of AE as seen by Mota, Malawi_Hora-8100BC and Luxemundra. Eurasian DNA has always been in Africa. Forcing Skoglund to admit that yes, “Eurasian” may have an African origin! Looking at the mtDNA of Abusir again, clearly African in Origin. No mtDNA H1 or H3 was present. They weren’t European women.

Look at aDNA as the “time machine” we can go back in time and see what these people looked like and who they are most clearly related to comparing modern population …..we no longer have ambiguity.

edit: working now

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dinkum
Banned
Member # 22875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dinkum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has been 4 lots of mummies DNA taken throughout Egypt. Abusir el Meleq mummies were ALL Eurasian as were the two brothers from the 12th Dynasty. They carried MTDNA M1A1. The oldest MTDNA M is Central, Southern Asian in origin.

Ancient Egyptians resembled modern unmixed Copts who carry MTDNA U6 going back 30 000 years TO THE MID EAST, ONCE AGAIN PROVING EGYPTIANS ORIGINATED FROM THE MID EAST.

Posts: 108 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dinkum
Banned
Member # 22875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dinkum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAADI Skulls like the Merimde and other ancient Pre-Dynasty Skulls including the first Culture of Upper Egypt, the Tasian Culture, RESEMBLED THE ANCIENT PEOPLES OF ISRAEL and resemble modern day PALESTINIANS.

From YALE UNIVERSITY:
www.ehrafarchaeology.yale.edu/ehrafa/citation.do?forward=browseAuthorsFullContext&id=mr60-018&method=citation

Posts: 108 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abusir was from one northern, post hyksos site. And also, Egypt wasn't unified as a country in the predynastic, so it makes no sense that you act like they were always unified as you talk about specific predynastic people who lived in Egypt. Some tribes or kingdoms in the nile were culturally closer to the Near East and phenotypically bore greater resemblance to common phenotypes of the modern Near East (many Lower Egyptians). Many tribes etc didn't though.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Eurasian! Blah blah! Blah! Eurasian!

Proof they were Eurasians? But first explain to us what is a “Eurasian”. Proof that they were NOT Africans?

quote:
Originally posted by Dinkum:
There has been 4 lots of mummies DNA taken throughout Egypt. Abusir el Meleq mummies were ALL Eurasian as were the two brothers from the 12th Dynasty. They carried MTDNA M1A1. The oldest MTDNA M is Central, Southern Asian in origin.

Ancient Egyptians resembled modern unmixed Copts who carry MTDNA U6 going back 30 000 years TO THE MID EAST, ONCE AGAIN PROVING EGYPTIANS ORIGINATED FROM THE MID EAST.

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Fahr
Suspended
Member # 21979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Fahr   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think is impossible.
Because I have a picture of a very negroid pre- dynastic Egyptian King. Actually, he was from the earliest pre dynasties, long before the Scorpion kings dynasties.

Above and by the side of his engraved image, was written that he was from the South Region...Not from Middle Easter [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

But, hey...I think is better to have Middle Easterners "wannabe ancient Egyptians", than some Muslims people from central Asia, and Egypt, saying they want to destroyed all ancient Egyptian monuments, including burn the Museum of Antiquities of Cairo, because they said - ancient Egyptian kings said they were gods...

Actually, I am horrified with these people religion fanaticism...much more than with "wannabes"

--------------------
---lnnnnn*

Posts: 198 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
What king? And they're not "wannabes" their ancestors were in Egypt so they feel it's part of their heritage and many lower Egyptians probably looked like them. Even if we were to suppose they were also descendants of Greeks, Turks or hyksos No one in Egypt is "pure" anymore.
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Show us the pic
Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
I noticed there are predyn statues that appear to be unique on the internet or uncommon  -

Ever seen that image?

-

This is supposedly 1st dynasty but its not easy to find with a basic search.

Dinkum
Banned
Member # 22875

Sculptures, especially broken sculptures are not a good indication of race.

There are huge numbers of mummies in Egypt with their hair still attacked. They look exactly like Caucasians. I think thats why Afrocentrics only like to use broken sculptures to claim Egyptians were black.

REAL EGYPTIAN MUMMIES:
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/new-research-shows-some-ancient-egyptians-were-naturally-fair-haired-005812

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
"Sculptures, especially broken sculptures are not a good indication of race."

Let me guest. "Eurasian" is a a race? SMH why do you even take this illogical fool seriously? SMH

--------------------

Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
quote:

There are huge numbers of mummies in Egypt with their hair still attacked. They look exactly like Caucasians. I think thats why Afrocentrics only like to use broken sculptures to claim Egyptians were black.

REAL EGYPTIAN MUMMIES:
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/new-research-shows-some-ancient-egyptians-were-naturally-fair-haired-005812

Your link uses Yuya and Tuya as examples. Two mummies who were genetically more African than anything else and produced someone who was depicted as
 -

and
 -

Leave it to the druids to wear scalemail. Love that armor.

Yet I suppose that the main reason why she was tested was her mummies's straight hair. You have genetically African people who depict themselves with common African phenotypes including curly hair. It could be that her mummies 'good' hair was a weave or wig.

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Since when is a haplogroup the same as a race? You guys will (to claim M1) say L3 is "Eurasian" but won't say that the many Sub Saharan (even West African) blacks that carry L3 are anything but black. STOP pretending as though race never existed before people discovered genetics, or that you guys have DNA radar when you judge people by their race. "Black" people can have looser curls and they can have tighter curls.

-

So this American, when he walks down the street, should assume he registers as a "Caucasian?"

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The oldest MTDNA M is Central, Southern Asian in origin.

1) what is your source for oldest human remains carrying mtDNA M ?

quote:

Ancient Egyptians resembled modern unmixed Copts

2) what is your source for Copt DNA ?

quote:

Ancient Egyptians resembled modern unmixed Copts

3) What is your source that any modern Copts are indigenous unmixed Egyptians?

quote:
DNATRIBES NEVER took any DNA from any Egyptian mummies. You wont find their results ON ANY GENUINE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH SITES.
It was nothing but a publicity stunt.

4)
The December 2012 issue of the British Medical Journal quotes the conclusion of the study of the team of researchers, led by Zahi Hawass, the former head of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquity, and his Egyptian team, as well as Albert Zink from the Institute for Mummies and the Iceman of the European Academy of Bolzano/Bozen in Italy. Zink determined that Rameses III was of haplogroup E1b1a and a mummy of an unknown man buried with Ramesses was a good candidate for the pharaoh's son also carried this haplogroup

-
Ramesses III

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fourty2Tribes:
quote:

REAL EGYPTIAN MUMMIES:

Your link uses Yuya and Tuya as examples. Two mummies who were genetically more African than anything else and produced someone who was depicted as
 -

and
 -

Yet I suppose that the main reason why she was tested was her mummies's straight hair. You have genetically African people who depict themselves with common African phenotypes including curly hair. It could be that her mummies 'good' hair was a weave or wig.

-
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
quote:

REAL EGYPTIAN MUMMIES:

-

and
 -

-
The 2010 test were done on bone biopsies by a company that wanted to avoid surface areas in fear of contamination. Do you have source on hair sampling?
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
This thread is devolving fast. Where are the mods?
capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my god the orangutan prostitutes of Scandinavia [Big Grin] I cried laughing [Big Grin]
Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
KNOCK IT OFF with the off-topicness! First warning. Plus Punos_Rey is back in town and you know what that means...

Edit:

Certain posts have been removed.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .Charlie Bass.:

Consistent with history
4:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6uhrQSIvLI&t=314s

Love the outfit. I laughed when he said build the wall. It was informational as well.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com