EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Genome-wide ancestry of 17th-century enslaved Africans from the Caribbean (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Genome-wide ancestry of 17th-century enslaved Africans from the Caribbean
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember something about some W Afr
ethny migrating to S Amer to offer their skill
but can't remember specifics.

Anybody else know anything about that?
I sure appreciate any help with this.

quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
quote:
Originally posted by africurious:
quote:
Brasil and many South American countries received captives from west Central &, southern-Central Africa, not Yoruba. -Bakongos from Angola etc. Primarily Bantu speakers.

https://vimeo.com/channels/afrolatinos/151897541

True, most of the slaves in s america did come from central Af but a whoooole lot of yorubas were taken to s amercia, especially Brazil. Yoruba religion is all over Brazil and Yoruba cuisine influence is prevalent in the north east.
You're right, I actually meant to say most captives in S.America were from Central-west African Bantus. But nonetheless cultures from those regions were/are relatively suppressed in the US are they not? I've heard of knocking and kicking, but haven't really seen it (outside of modern reconstruction). Come to think of it, didn't Gullah people from the south carry a peculiar form of Islamic culture to the US?

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andromeda2025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to put thinking caps on, for those who have them. Why do all the darker Europeans Americans Italians, Greeks, Spanish , Slavic Americans, Jewish Americans and even sometimes Turks & Lebanese, all become WASPS or do their best to ape WASP behavior within one to two generations? Two of the biggest proponents and profiteers of WASP culture in America one is Jewish, Ralph Lauren, the other is a Pollack, Martha Stewart. Notice how they have changed their LAST names.

You know if I where as busy policing and herding white folks as some here are busy policing black folks business, I could make a career out of making fun of brown whites trying to be white white... lol

The WASP elite dominated much of politics and the economy, as well as the high culture, well into the 20th century. Anthony Smith argues that nations tend to be formed on the basis of a pre-modern ethnic core that provides the myths, symbols, and memories for the modern nation and that WASPs were indeed that core.[37] WASPs are still prominent at prep schools (expensive private high schools, primarily in the Northeast), Ivy League universities, and prestigious liberal arts colleges, such as the Little Ivies or Seven Sisters.[38]

But honestly I don't give a hoot what brown white folks/white white folks do, to each his own.

Theodore W. Allen, The Invention of the White Race, 2 vols.: I--Racial Oppression and Social Control (320 pp.) and II--The Origin of Racial Oppression in Anglo-America (400 pp.) (New York, 1994-97).

nations tend to be formed on the basis of a pre-modern ethnic core that provides the myths, symbols, and memories i.e. culture

For African Americans who is that core group? Who is the founder group? or the plurality?

Posts: 165 | From: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andromeda2025:
First of all, the western Sahel is in West Africa, no one is avoiding "west Africa or west central Africa." The question is why is African American culture while having commonalities and shared traits, "different" from Afro Caribbean and Afro Latin cultures. It is important to know American history and the chronological theft of Native American lands, ethnic cleansing of indigenous peoples, white indentured servitude and the gradual implementation of African slavery in the Anglo colonies of N.A .

The number of enslaved people in the US grew rapidly, reaching 4 million by the 1860 Census. From 1770 until 1860, the rate of natural growth of North American enslaved people was much greater than for the population of any nation in Europe, and it was nearly twice as rapid as that of England

In 1763 when France ceded Louisiana to the Spanish there were 46,000 African people enslaved there as compared to 36,500 free persons, mostly white (Hall: 1992:29–55). Most of these Africans came from points north of the Windward Coast and many had originally disembarked in St. Domingue (Hall, 1992). As high as these population data seem, the majority of all Africans imported in North America during the colonial period were enslaved in the Chesapeake and Low Country regions. Read more about people enslaved in French America. North of the Windward Coast is in the general area of the Sahel.

Here is the truth "people" like lioness and others who are very fragile and are foot soldiers for the elite want the image of African Americans to fit a stereotype perpetuated by the human traffickers because in their own mind it dehumanizes and keeps blacks in their "place". Global white supremacy is maintained through the oppression of African Americans and the African American image by proxy. So these foot soldiers want to POLICE what African Americans believe about themselves. I don't even like going through this much trouble for a post, because in the end soldiers will move the goal posts. I know what I know about African American culture because I don't know I am African American?

African Americans in north america have more Senegambian culture than the Caribbean
 -

13 to 25 percent Senegambian ancestry is considerably high for the African diaspora in the americas

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andromeda2025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

LIST OF ENGLISH WORDS OF NIGER-CONGO ORIGIN
This is a list of English language words that come from the languages of Africa. It excludes placenames except where they have become common words.
WORDS OF AFRICAN ORIGIN
banana – West African, possibly Wolof banana
bogus – Hausa boko-boko meaning fake or fraudulent
bongo – West African boungu
bozo – stupid, West African
boogie – Wolof or Sierra Leone, to dance
buckra – "white man or person", from Efik and Ibibio mbakara [1]
chigger – possibly from Wolof and Yoruba jiga "insect")
chimpanzee – possibly derived from a Tshiluba language term "kivili-chimpenze", which is the local name for the animal and translates loosely as "mockman" or possibly just "ape".[2]
cola – from West African languages (Temne kola, Mandinka kolo)
dig - to sense, understand or appreciate – from Wolof dega
djembe – from West African languages
hip – from Wolof hipi and hepicat, one with eyes open
jazz – from West African languages (Mandinka jasi, Temne yas)
jive – possibly from Wolof jev
juke, jukebox – possibly from Wolof and Bambara dzug through Gullah

mumbo jumbo- from mandigo name Maamajombo, a masked dancer
mojo – from Fula moco'o "medicine man" through Louisiana Creole French or Gullah
obeah – from West African (Efik ubio, Twi ebayifo)
okay – disputed origins, likely influenced by Wolof waw-kay [3]
okra – from Igbo ókùrù

sambo – Fula sambo meaning "uncle"

tote – West African via Gullah
voodoo – from West African languages (Ewe and Fon vodu "spirit")
yam – West African (Fula nyami, Twi anyinam)

WORDS OF BANTU ORIGIN
banjo – probably Bantu mbanza
funk – from kikongo lu-fuki "bad body odor"
goober – possibly from Bantu (Kikongo and Kimbundu nguba)
gumbo – from Bantu (Kimbundu ngombo meaning "okra")

Posts: 165 | From: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Nice post. On the Timeline # Senegambia.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welp, Lioness honestly got blown away here...
I learned a lot so far also.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
welp, Lioness honestly got blown away here...
I learned a lot so far also.

-

you must be kidding, after this was posted was there are more need for me to post?

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
these guys were saying that at the beginning of the slave trade more africans were brought from senegambia, windward/gold coast w/e... look at the image above ish gebors post...

quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

in the beginning of the transatlantic slave trade especially in North America, Sahelian slaves where the dominant population,

That is not true.
Yes, it is true.
I apologize if I've been reading this wrong....
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

- Senegambia did not have only Sahelian slaves. 24 percent of slaves were Senegambians. - often identified as Bambara or Mandingo

- the beginning of the transatlantic slave trade was prior to 1700

- the Carolinas and Georgia were not the only slave states

-notably Virginia and Maryland as well, as part of the earliest beginnings

-

While northern parts of West Africa overlap the Sahel, looking at this map it is misleading to characterize the transatlantic slave trade as primarily Sahel derived at any point.
Just think about the totality of the Sahel and it's general location

The transatlantic slave trade primarily derives from West Africa as everybody knows and is common knowledge and supported by shipping record
-with some input from the Sahel and East Africa

Some people may think that is Eurocentric but I see it as commonly known black history and corroborated
many black authored books
arguing against it just the peculiar type of thing that goes on here

There were many Muslims in Brazil in the nineteenth century, mostly in Bahia, but they came from the central Sudan (northern Nigeria and adjacent areas), unlike those who were sent to the United States. Muslims were clearly present in both the low country of Carolina and Georgia and in the Tidewater region of Virginia and Maryland.
Some parts of Africa were important in the overall transatlantic slave trade to the Americas but were under-represented in the United States. Noticeably absent or of minor importance were Yoruba, Ewe/Fon/Allada/Mahi (people who spoke the so-called Gbe languages), and other people, including Muslims, brought from the far interior of the "Slave Coast" or Bight of Benin. This region was one of the most important sources of Africans for the Atlantic crossing, and people from the Bight of Benin were particularly prominent in the French Caribbean, Cuba, Trinidad, and Brazil.

http://www.accessgambia.com/information/history-islam-gambia.html

What bought the Islamic religion to the Senegambia basin including The Gambia were the Berber Arab traders who had regularly crossed the Sahara desert since 1000 BC. After the death of the Prophet Mohammed in 632 AD Islam had reached North Africa. In the 11th century Futa Toro, in Senegal, was converted to Islam. In the same century the puritanical Almoravid movement made an appearance among the Berber tribes of Southern Mauritania and made a strong religious impact there. It was these converted people who laid the introduced and laid the foundations of the religion in The Gambia and Senegal.

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snakepit1
Member # 21736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakepit1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:
@Elmaestro

I don't know if you are African-American. But I am part AA and its very interesting that you bring up Sudanic/sahelian presence. Because AA culture is unique among the Afro diaspora.

Why?

Because unlike most in the diaspora our culture was greatly influenced by Sahelian Africans/areas influenced by Muslim Africans. That is where the root of the Blues comes from which is the ancestor to almost ALL African-American music and pop music world wide.

My family is from the Carolinas and the Carolinas mostly used rice plantation. Slaves from those areas were needed because they were skilled in rice cultivation. It POSSIBLE I can have Sahelian ancestry. MAYBE..

And yeah European admixture in AAs is overstated and overrated.

I did a DNA Tribes test recently. In Part D: Your High Resolution World Region Match Result, the highest scoring region was/is what they call Tropical West Africa, followed by Sahelian, then Horn Of Africa, then Southern Africa, then African Great Lakes and North Africa coming in last (as it pertains to Africa) .

In Part B: Your High Resolution Native Population Match Results, Equatorial Guinea scored the highest, which was surprising since I'm Namibian (Himba & Aawambo/Ovambo respectively). I even got a hit from a place called Azrou in Morocco, apparently some of my DNA is also found in Berbers there. Didn't see that one coming at all.

Posts: 117 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_the_blues

Perhaps the most compelling African instrument that is a predecessor to an African-American instrument is the "Akonting", a folk lute of the Jola tribe of Senegambia. It is a clear predecessor to the American banjo in its playing style, the construction of the instrument itself and in its social role as a folk instrument. The Kora is played by a professional caste of praise singers for the rich and aristocracy (called griots or jalis) and is not considered folk music. Jola music was actually not influenced much by Islamic and North African/Middle Eastern music, and this may give us an important clue as to how African American music does not, according to many scholars such as Sam Charters, bear hardly any relation to kora music. Rather, African-American music may reflect a hold over from a pre-Islamicized form of African music

http://www.accessgambia.com/information/jola.html

The ethnic group known as the Jola, Jolla or Diola tribe as they are known inSenegal make up 10% of the Gambian population and are heavily concentrated in the Foni area of south west Gambia and Casamance in Senegal as well as parts of the north of Guinea-Bissau.

Little is known about the origins of the Jolas (Diolas) because unlike other tribes they do not traditionally have griots who were able to pass down their ancestor's history from one generation to the next. However, they do have musical entertainers who recited their past but this was not passed down to the next generation therefore reducing their collective historical memory. They often build stockades against real or imaginary enemies and they were protected for a long time from European influence as they tended to inhabit thick forest woodland or swamp areas which proved difficult for outsiders to penetrate. This is one of the reasons so little is known about their origins.

What is known is that they are among one of the oldest existing tribes in The Gambia. They along with other groups like the Balanta and Pepel were already in the Casamance region of Senegal in the 13th century before moving northwards to Foni. Their migrations tended to be sporadic, seasonal and on a smaller scale than say the Mandinka. Over time some migrations evolved into more permanent settlements and some of them moved in to Baddibu, Niumi and Bathurst during the Soninke-Marabout wars when they were attacked by the Islamist jihadists Foday Kabba Dumbuya, Ebrima Njie and others between 1850 and 1890. The Islamists were determined to convert the people of the region from their animist beliefs and practices. The Jolas proved to be the most difficult tribe to convert however, most eventually succumbed though some doggedly held out and many who are Muslims today still perform animist practices.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Snakepit1

WOW! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Where the heck did the Horner come from??

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snakepit1:

I'm Namibian (Himba & Aawambo/Ovambo respectively).

DNAtribes flubbing your region by either
measurement doesn't surprise me a bit.

But now you know your STRs!
As little as 6 of them can
Can accurately tell you the
actual region of their profile.

Guess what? Tishkoff places the genetic
origin of humanity somewhere between
Rundu and Pereira de Eca across the border.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

LIST OF ENGLISH WORDS OF NIGER-CONGO ORIGIN
This is a list of English language words that come from the languages of Africa. It excludes placenames except where they have become common words.
WORDS OF AFRICAN ORIGIN
banana – West African, possibly Wolof banana
bogus – Hausa boko-boko meaning fake or fraudulent
bongo – West African boungu
bozo – stupid, West African
boogie – Wolof or Sierra Leone, to dance
buckra – "white man or person", from Efik and Ibibio mbakara [1]
chigger – possibly from Wolof and Yoruba jiga "insect")
chimpanzee – possibly derived from a Tshiluba language term "kivili-chimpenze", which is the local name for the animal and translates loosely as "mockman" or possibly just "ape".[2]
cola – from West African languages (Temne kola, Mandinka kolo)
dig - to sense, understand or appreciate – from Wolof dega
djembe – from West African languages
hip – from Wolof hipi and hepicat, one with eyes open
jazz – from West African languages (Mandinka jasi, Temne yas)
jive – possibly from Wolof jev
juke, jukebox – possibly from Wolof and Bambara dzug through Gullah

mumbo jumbo- from mandigo name Maamajombo, a masked dancer
mojo – from Fula moco'o "medicine man" through Louisiana Creole French or Gullah
obeah – from West African (Efik ubio, Twi ebayifo)
okay – disputed origins, likely influenced by Wolof waw-kay [3]
okra – from Igbo ókùrù

sambo – Fula sambo meaning "uncle"

tote – West African via Gullah
voodoo – from West African languages (Ewe and Fon vodu "spirit")
yam – West African (Fula nyami, Twi anyinam)

WORDS OF BANTU ORIGIN
banjo – probably Bantu mbanza
funk – from kikongo lu-fuki "bad body odor"
goober – possibly from Bantu (Kikongo and Kimbundu nguba)
gumbo – from Bantu (Kimbundu ngombo meaning "okra")

Good post. I don't know why Lioness thinks she knows more than us.

The Sahelian CULTURAL influence is clearly more widespread than the non-Sahelian one.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Saying the Sahelian cultural influence is greater on AA culture than the non-Sahelian influence is to say Islamic berber influence is greater on AAs than non Islamic berber influence
and that is just not true
And the legacy of most African Americas was being cut off under threat from most direct cultural influence from Africa.
How many African Americans cook African food (Soul food vaguely) , listen to African music or speak an African language? Carolinas a little more than other areas yes but that is just two states

Tukuler
Member # 19944

"I fon't know why Lioness thinks she knows more than us."

Hahaha

That's her MO and one reason so many vets and
'class of 2008' members abandoned ES because
there was no mods to keep her, as Rasol worded it,
passive-aggressive trolling in check. With nothing
to constrain her, she then started acting like dhe
owns the place.

We're supposed to respect her while she passively
disrespectfully flees all questioning but goes on
aggressively disrespectfully asserting her used
kitty litter one liner assertions now with mod
authority. That said, a and as stupid as I may
be, Sekhmet is the perfect mod for Deshret.

I wonder about a few items in that word list.
Bozo is the name of a riverine ethnic group in
Mali.

--------------------

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
Saying the Sahelian cultural influence is greater on AA culture than the non-Sahelian influence is to say Islamic berber influence is greater on AAs than non Islamic berber influence
And the legacy of most African Americas was being cut off under threat from most direct cultural influence from Africa.
How many African Americans cook African food (Soul food vaguely) , listen to African music
or speak an African language? Carolinas a little more than other areas yes but that is just two states

Do you even know what you're talking about?? The Sahel is much more than Berbers. Heck most Berbers don't even occupy the Sahel but the Sahara. Most Africans in the Sahel are Mandinkas(other Mande people), Fulanis, Hausas, Wolof, Songhais,etc,etc

I doubt you're AA as you wouldn't even be making the bolded claims. There are many African elements in Soul food. Everyone know Gumbo and Okra has West African origins. Hell I even mentioned Guinean Fowl in AA dishes. Lets not even get started on rice. Language? The Gullah language contains many West African/Mandinkas words.

Music? I already addressed that many times. Right now in this thread all you are doing is going in circles.

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Its a exaggeration that AAs were cut off from their ancestors culturally. Its just that the cultural African source for AAs was much DIFFERENT than what we see in other parts of the diaspora. Again:
quote:
Afro-Cuban and African American music is very similar yet very different. Why? Because “essential elements of these two musics came from different parts of Africa, entering the New World by different routes, at different times, into differently structured societies” (Sublette, 159). These essential elements in African American music do not appear in Cuban music: swing and the blues scale. Cuban music contains elements of the clave (a rhythmic key) and “those undulating, repeating, melodic-rhythmic loops of fixed pitches called guajeo, montuno, or tumbao” (159). The reason for these differences was that they reflected two different musical styles that of Sudanic Africa and forest Africa.
http://soyguajira.blogspot.com/2012/03/african-american-vs-afro-cuban.html
Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
A SHIFT IN ETHNICITIES

"These patterns held considerable implications for the ethnolinguistic composition of the illegal slave trade. The mix of peoples in the Upper Guinea trade continued to be highly diverse in the illegal era. The largest group was Mende, but Koronko, Mandingo, Susu, Temne, and Fula were well represented. These six groups made up 80 percent of a sample of one thousand captives taken from Galinhas (Guinea-Bissau) and Rio Pongo (Guinea) in the 1820s and 1830s; three-quarters of these captives came from areas less than 150 miles from the coast. In the eighteenth century, peoples from the middle and upper regions of the Gambia and Senegal rivers would have been much more heavily represented.
In the Bight of Benin, Yoruba peoples, scarcely noticeable in an earlier era, dominated those passing through Whydah and Lagos, with some Hausa and Nupe among them. The counterparts to the Yoruba in the Bight of Biafra were Igbo peoples, perhaps accounting for as much as 60 percent of deportees from the region, but in this case the pattern was not new. Ibibio and the numerous small ethnic groups of the Niger Delta made up the remainder. Further east, the Cameroons Highlands was almost the exclusive source of slaves leaving from what is now the Republic of Cameroon.
New research on the huge West-Central Africa region suggests that the old picture of long-distant trade networks and the central importance of the Lunda Empire (northeastern Angola and western Congo) is in need of revision. Data from slave registers in the Portuguese colonies and from registers of liberated Africans in Havana and Sierra Leone indicate that the majority came from areas much closer to the coast than was previously thought. Overall, there seems to have been a shift toward the coast as the source for captives in the nineteenth century.
One further pattern to emerge after 1800 was an increase in the share of Muslims, almost all of them passing through ports located in the Bight of Benin, such as Lagos and Whydah, and comprising mainly Hausa and Yoruba. A preliminary analysis of a large database of Africans (including their names) who were taken off slave ships by British naval cruisers between 1821 and 1841 and liberated in Sierra Leone and Havana suggests that one-fifth of those leaving the Bight of Benin were Muslims, many of them women."

Note: Point of disembarkation does not denote ethnicity. From the Bight of Biafra 60% Iboe the rest a mix of Fula & Hausa. Fula & Hausa ethnic community lies in Kano State clearly in the Sahel.
 -

Notice the small SeneGambian contribution of slaves to Brazil

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How many African Americans cook African food (Soul food vaguely) , listen to African music or speak an African language? Carolinas a little more than other areas yes but that is just two states

Do you even know who inhabited / inhabits the Sahel? Do you even know the cultural trades between the Sahel and diaspora Africans?
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
How many African Americans cook African food (Soul food vaguely) , listen to African music
or speak an African language? Carolinas a little more than other areas yes but that is just two states

Do you even know what you're talking about?? The Sahel is much more than Berbers. Heck most Berbers don't even occupy the Sahel but the Sahara. Most Africans in the Sahel are Mandinkas(other Mande people), Fulanis, Hausas, Wolof, Songhais,etc,etc

I doubt you're AA as you wouldn't even be making the bolded claims. There are many African elements in Soul food. Everyone know Gumbo and Okra has West African origins. Hell I even mentioned Guinean Fowl in AA dishes. Lets not even get started on rice. Language? The Gullah language contains many West African/Mandinkas words.

Music? I already addressed that many times. Right now in this thread all you are doing is going in circles.

The confusing part here is probably that most Tuareg ethnic groups reside at the south of the Sahara / north Sahel. The Papa Bull also gave this away.

This is one of the best online sources (not perfect, but great):

http://www.imuhar.eu/site/en/imuhartuareg.php?lang=EN

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Lioness is suffering from mad AA obsessive compulsive disorder. From the way Lioness speaks I am going to guess, 1. She/He is nor has ever been to America or the "States" 2. She/He has never really known any African Americans in the flesh personally 3. She/He watches a lot of Hollywood movies. 4. If not European then is suffering some post European colonial mental distortion. Why the resistance to this information? Because it breaks stereotypes brown whites & white white's and all those foot soldiers for the elites want to maintain about AA's to keep them in their place in their "minds eye" and WASP mythology ( historical fake news) . It is the same reason why poor white's keep voting against their own economic interest, health and survival, right now the poor white heroine addicted masses are being thrown under the bus, by Trump, but hey! You can still hate black people, believe they are inferior and from the deepest darkest parts of the AFRICAN JUNGLE, and should just be grateful to be on AMURIKKKAN soil, ain't ya lucky... but see we have FACTS on our side. Historical & genetic data say otherwise

The slaves where Pan African, from different ecological environments from the Sahel to the tropics, from urban to rural areas, from different ethnic groups with different specialties and skills, and non where more aware of these differences than the Capitalist WASP's if there is one thing about America that has never changed from it's founding moments, is that money and profit are ALWAYS the motivating factor behind everything that Americans do.

-

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
A SHIFT IN ETHNICITIES

"These patterns held considerable implications for the ethnolinguistic composition of the illegal slave trade. The mix of peoples in the Upper Guinea trade continued to be highly diverse in the illegal era. The largest group was Mende, but Koronko, Mandingo, Susu, Temne, and Fula were well represented. These six groups made up 80 percent of a sample of one thousand captives taken from Galinhas (Guinea-Bissau) and Rio Pongo (Guinea) in the 1820s and 1830s; three-quarters of these captives came from areas less than 150 miles from the coast. In the eighteenth century, peoples from the middle and upper regions of the Gambia and Senegal rivers would have been much more heavily represented.
In the Bight of Benin, Yoruba peoples, scarcely noticeable in an earlier era, dominated those passing through Whydah and Lagos, with some Hausa and Nupe among them. The counterparts to the Yoruba in the Bight of Biafra were Igbo peoples, perhaps accounting for as much as 60 percent of deportees from the region, but in this case the pattern was not new. Ibibio and the numerous small ethnic groups of the Niger Delta made up the remainder. Further east, the Cameroons Highlands was almost the exclusive source of slaves leaving from what is now the Republic of Cameroon.
New research on the huge West-Central Africa region suggests that the old picture of long-distant trade networks and the central importance of the Lunda Empire (northeastern Angola and western Congo) is in need of revision. Data from slave registers in the Portuguese colonies and from registers of liberated Africans in Havana and Sierra Leone indicate that the majority came from areas much closer to the coast than was previously thought. Overall, there seems to have been a shift toward the coast as the source for captives in the nineteenth century.
One further pattern to emerge after 1800 was an increase in the share of Muslims, almost all of them passing through ports located in the Bight of Benin, such as Lagos and Whydah, and comprising mainly Hausa and Yoruba. A preliminary analysis of a large database of Africans (including their names) who were taken off slave ships by British naval cruisers between 1821 and 1841 and liberated in Sierra Leone and Havana suggests that one-fifth of those leaving the Bight of Benin were Muslims, many of them women."

Note: Point of disembarkation does not denote ethnicity. From the Bight of Biafra 60% Iboe the rest a mix of Fula & Hausa. Fula & Hausa ethnic community lies in Kano State clearly in the Sahel.
 -

-

Good info. This probably can explain the cultural-distributions. For example capoeira is mostly associated with region now known as Angola, but religiously they are more distributed towards Nigeria Yoruba and Fon people, which would be West-Central Africa.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
A nice informational site:

Tribes and Ethnic Groups in Nigeria

http://www.nigeriagists.com/2015/09/tribes-and-ethnic-groups-in-nigeria.html

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Fulani Man get's his Ancestry DNA results, his individual results are interesting and he finds related genetic communities in South Carolina and Jamaica/Caribbean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQVlUH30g8

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
I noticed the paper by Hannes Schroeder, Carlos D. Bustamante et al
mentioned the Mada in (Fig. 1D).

quote:

ADMIXTURE Analysis. To further explore the genetic ancestry of the STMs, we used the maximum-likelihood–based clustering algorithm ADMIXTURE (19). When assuming three ancestral populations (K = 3), the clusters in the reference panel mirror the grouping of individuals in the space defined by PC1 and PC2: a cluster predominating in Bantu-speaking populations, a cluster for non-Bantu West African populations, and a third restricted mostly to Kaba, Mada, and Bulala (Fig. 1D). The distribution of these components in our samples indicates that STM1 has a higher proportion of Bantu-specific ancestry, whereas STM2 and STM3 carry higher proportions of the component prevalent among the non-Bantu–speaking Yoruba, Brong, and Igbo. Notably, STM2 also shows a slightly higher proportion of the component prevalent among the Kaba, Mada, and Bulala, perhaps suggesting closer affinity with Chadic or Sudanic speakers (Fig. 1D).

quote:

Cameroon, bordered by six nations, has had a large influx of peoples and cultures. Many small ethnic groups living in Cameroon have, at some point, come from or traveled to at least one of the neighboring countries. The Mada originated in the Nigerian Plateau region.

Mada in Cameroon

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/13193/CM

The second thing I have noticed is that these regions are predominately Islamic centered, next to having traditional religions. This goes for the Brong, Bamoun, Mada, and Bulala with an exception for the Congolese centered groups like Fang and Kaba. These are the groups known to lesser degree.

Bulala (Bilala) in Chad

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/10845/CD

Mum, Bamun in Cameroon

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/13864/CM

Brong

Kaba in Central African Republic

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/12385/CT

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Fulani Man get's his Ancestry DNA results, his individual results are interesting and he finds related genetic communities in South Carolina and Jamaica/Caribbean

Wow his one was great, probably the best one thus far. It proved the necessary information.

Background information: Topic: ot - Fulani Madness, by alTakruri .

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006706

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
@Snakepit1

WOW! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Where the heck did the Horner come from??

The British controlled the West African Slave Trade. As a result, The American slave traders took slaves from Mozambique and along the East African coast all the way to India.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
^^^^

- Senegambia did not have only Sahelian slaves. 24 percent of slaves were Senegambians. - often identified as Bambara or Mandingo

-

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//thumb/8/82/Saharan_Africa_regions_map.png/800px-Saharan_Africa_regions_map.png

The level of desperateness and wikipedia usage:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Sahel

quote:

The Sahel, comprising portions of ten (10) African countries, from left to right: [northern] Senegal, [southern] Mauritania, [central] Mali, [northern] Burkina Faso, [southern] Algeria, [southwestern] Niger, [northern] Nigeria, [central] Chad, [central] Sudan and [northern] Eritrea.

-

http://ponce.sdsu.edu/sahel_081015.html

-

International Journal of Political Science (IJPS)
Volume 1, Issue 2, 2015, PP 6-18
ISSN 2454-9452
www.arcjournals.org

https://www.arcjournals.org/pdfs/ijps/v1-i2/2.pdf

The level of disrespect. lol smh

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Wow his one was great, probably the best one thus far. It proved the necessary information.

It was great, "no wonder she (his Jamaican Wife) looks so Fulani" lmaooo. Although it's only 1% that Italian/Greece hit might be important.
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A SHIFT IN ETHNICITIES

-

-

The first Muslim slaves taken to America were the Wolof and Mandingoes. They spread Islam among the Maya and other Mexican Native American was due to the Wolof.
 -

Although the Mexicans stopped importing Wolof slaves, they were still sold in North America.Read more web page

In Brazil, the Muslims were mainly Fula (Fulani), Wolof and Mandingoes in the early days. The Mandingo influence in Brazil was the legacy of the Brazilian Muslims being called males. The majority of Muslims in the later years were Yoruba and Hausas

If you are interested in slavery and Islam in these areas Check out the following papers:

https://www.academia.edu/1529630/Islam_in_Early_North_and_South_America

https://www.academia.edu/8492681/Muslims_in_Pluralistic_Societies_The_Case_of_the_West_Indies

https://www.academia.edu/8492553/The_Muslims_of_Rio_de_Janeiro

https://www.academia.edu/8491185/The_Afro-Brazilian_Concept_of_Jihad_and_the_1835_Slave_Revolt

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was great, "no wonder she (his Jamaican Wife) looks so Fulani" lmaooo. Although it's only 1% that Italian/Greece hit might be important.
As xyyman and I have tried to tell you, there are no European genes.

He had links to the Caribbean because of the Wolof and Fulani influence among the early slaves.

His Syrian ancestry is the result, of the Kushite settlement of Anatolia. The Kushites belonged to the C-Group people. The C-Group people include Fulani, there were also a Fulani Egyptian nome.

Fulani were probably among the Kushites who settled Anatolia. The Kushite tribes of Anatolia include the Hati, Kassite, Kaska and related tribes.

Saad's Italian ancestry may result from the African migration to Iberia. The earliest hunter-gatherers found in Italy (14kya) and Spain (7kya) carried Y- Chromosome R1b1 which is related to R1-V88. Many Fulani carry R1, which geneticists claim is a European gene, eventhough this haplogroup is found globally in Africa.

Saad was also related to Southeastern Bantu. This can be explained by the frequency of R1 among the Bantu, and Khoisan in Namibia. This might explain the Southeast Bantu connection.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

- [/QB]

You can't tell from this chart. You may be correct but you need numbers that went to Amazonia
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
^^^^

-

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//thumb/8/82/Saharan_Africa_regions_map.png/800px-Saharan_Africa_regions_map.png

The level of desperateness and wikipedia usage:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Sahel

quote:

The Sahel, comprising portions of ten (10) African countries, from left to right: [northern] Senegal, [southern] Mauritania, [central] Mali, [northern] Burkina Faso, [southern] Algeria, [southwestern] Niger, [northern] Nigeria, [central] Chad, [central] Sudan and [northern] Eritrea.

-

-

ISSN 2454-9452
www.arcjournals.org

-

SENEGAMBIA

1) is Senegambia best described as a Sahelian country?

2) what percentage of AAs are estimated descended from Fula ?

Yes a higher percentage of Senegambians went to America than to the Carib and have more influence in America than in the Carib, I do know this and am not trying to disrespect anyone

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
 -

African Americans 19th Century

-

-

-

-

child labor in the south

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

quote:

-

-

ISSN 2454-9452
www.arcjournals.org

-

SENEGAMBIA

1) is Senegambia best described as a Sahelian country?

2) what percentage of AAs are estimated descended from Fula ?

Yes a higher percentage of Senegambians went to America than to the Carib and have more influence in America than in the Carib, I do know this and am not trying to disrespect anyone [/QB][/QUOTE]

[Confused] [Roll Eyes]

-

-

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Senegambia was a point of departure, many slaves where brought from the interior, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso etc.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
 -

African Americans 19th Century

-

-

-

-

child labor in the south

-

That image is a bit skewed.

Slavery did not, in fact, end at the end of the Civil War."

Collectors Bernard and Shirley Kinsey join author Douglas
A. Blackmon in a conversation about Blackmon's groundbreaking historical study, and Pulitzer Prize winning boo, Slavery by
Another Name: The Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II.

This event took place on Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011 at the National Museum of American History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlk41mNDuM

quote:
"Slavery by Another Name is a 90-minute documentary that challenges one of Americans’ most cherished assumptions: the belief that slavery in this country ended with the Emancipation Proclamation. The film tells how even as chattel slavery came to an end in the South in 1865, thousands of African Americans were pulled back into forced labor with shocking force and brutality. It was a system in which men, often guilty of no crime at all, were arrested, compelled to work without pay, repeatedly bought and sold, and coerced to do the bidding of masters. Tolerated by both the North and South, forced labor lasted well into the 20th century.

For most Americans this is entirely new history. Slavery by Another Name gives voice to the largely forgotten victims and perpetrators of forced labor and features their descendants living today."

http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/home/

http://www.pbs.org/show/slavery-another-name/

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
I know that, that is how propaganda works, I am busy casting out demon's leave me to my work.

The truth is that racist's want to stereotype AA's and the AA experience. That experience was never monolithic.

africurious
Member # 19611

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for africurious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Below are slave trade shipping data for the US, Brazil, and composite caribbean/spanish colonies

US
 -

Brazil
 -

Composite Caribbean/Spanish mainland (not the entire caribbean)
 -

From the data above, these are the %s of upper W Af going to each region (i.e. excluding central/SE/"other" Af):
US – 67.6%
Braz – 31.8%
Composite Caribbean/Spanish mainland – 61.9%

So as can be seen from the data, having majority origin in upper W Af wasn't just an american feature but happened in some places in the caribbean and Spanish mainland also. Brazil not surprisingly is dominantly Kongola. The US only received 6% more upper W Afs than the caribbean/spanish mainland composite. Look at Jamaica's stats--it's 78.6% upper W Af, 11% higher than the US. Senegambians is where the US stands out at 19.7%. No other region comes close to that. So from the data, it's not a upper W Af vs W central Af thing between the US and other americas. It's a Senegambian vs non-Senegambian thing. Any alleged Sahelians outside senegambia would've come thru the same ports and from same source populations that serviced the Americas outside the US. So for example if it's claimed that many Hausa came to the US (via bight of benin, gold coast) then these Hausa would've been in huge #s in other areas of the americas that were predominantly upper W Af too.

Also, as we can see from maps posted by Ish Gebor many of the people claimed to be Sahelians by some posters weren't. They were from the savanna below the Sahel. There doesn't seem to be agreement on terms in this thread on what we refer to when we say "Sahelian" so there prob is some unnecessary confusion and argumentation. Example of one of the maps i'm referring to.
 -

Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Senegambia was a point of departure, many slaves where brought from the interior, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso etc.

The most relevant part is to understand that these modern borders don't represent the borders prior to colonial times.

The Empires of the Western Sudan

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/wsem/hd_wsem.htm

-

-

— Marilyn Green

https://www.tes.com/lessons/sPYSlwp9wjvXiA/3-west-african-kingdoms

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Niger is deep into the middle of the continent. What is the evidence of many slaves being imported to the U.S. being from Niger?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/oct/27/humanrights1

The minimum estimate is that 43,000 people are in slavery across Niger (today)

It is based on research by Timidria, a local human rights organisation, and Anti-Slavery International. The research involved more than 11,000 face-to-face interviews in six regions of the country, constituting the most comprehensive survey of slavery in Niger to date.

Slavery remains deeply embedded in Niger society. It exists across the country, in rural and urban areas, and is practised predominantly by the Tuareg, Maure (Berber Arab) and Peule (also known as Pulaar, or Fulani) ethnic groups.

Some Hausa follow the "fifth wife" practice - a form of slavery (see below). The Hausa (both in Niger and Nigeria) are sold their "fifth wife" by Tuareg masters.

Virtually all cases of slavery documented in Niger concern individuals whose ancestors were enslaved many generations ago. Slavery status is ascribed at birth and passed on through the generations.

https://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/countries/2016/258833.htm

Niger is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking. Caste-based slavery practices continue primarily in the northern part of the country and affect some 44,000 people. Victims from Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, and Togo are exploited in sex and labor trafficking in Niger. Nigerien boys are subjected to forced labor, including forced begging, within the country and in Mali and Nigeria by corrupt marabouts (religious instructors). Corrupt marabouts or loosely organized clandestine networks may also place Nigerien girls into domestic servitude or commercial sex. Nigerien children are subjected to forced labor in gold, salt, trona, and gypsum mines; agriculture; stone quarries; and manufacturing within the country. Girls are subjected to sex trafficking along the border with Nigeria, sometimes with the complicity of their families. In the Tahoua region of Niger, girls born into slavery are forced to marry men who buy them as “fifth wives” and subject them to forced labor and sexual servitude, a practice known as wahaya; their children are born into slave castes. “Fifth wives” are typically sold between the age of 9 and 11 years old. Traditional chiefs play a primary role in this form of exploitation, either through enslaving children in their own families or arranging “marriages” for other powerful individuals.

^ This is more a part of the Trans Saharan trade than it is the Trans Atlantic trade

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
The desperateness in this person above is beyond pathetic. Chad is also deep in the interior. lol

Songhai empire

quote:

-

The Songhai Empire was the largest and last of the three major pre-colonial empires to emerge in West Africa. From its capital at Gao on the Niger River, Songhai expanded in all directions until it stretched from the Atlantic Ocean (modern Senegal and Gambia) to what is now Northwest Nigeria and central Niger. Gao, Songhai’s capital, which remains to this day a small Niger River trading center, was home to the famous Goa Mosque and the Tomb of Askia, the most important of the Songhai emperors. The cities of Timbuktu and Djenne were the other major cultural and commercial centers of the empire.

http://www.blackpast.org/gah/songhai-empire-ca-1375-1591

Anyway, the same guy posted by Andromeda2025:

This video is about my background and predictions before the test result, a Fulani man from Hammaruwa's Muri emirate of Jalingo Northern Nigeria, brother to Bubayero of Gombe emirate in Northern Nigeria.

The Fulani are the largest nomadic group of people in the world that are found in countries in West Africa right across to some parts of East Africa. Countries, such as Nigeria, Senegal, Niger, Mali, Sudan, Eritrea and so on. Hence why the results may reveal some interesting trace regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i5Kfa94vxE

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Both Africurious & Lioness just ugh...desperate herdation and policing.

Mandé, Soninke, Fula (in Mali), Hausa, Toubou, Kanuri (in Niger). The Songhai people (also Songhay or Sonrai) are an ethnic group in West Africa who speak Songhai languages. Their history and lingua franca is linked to the Songhai Empire which dominated the western Sahel in the 15th and 16th century.

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Very good movie for those interested in pre colonial Africa and the slave trade.

Ceddo , is a 1977 Senegalese film directed by the great Ousmane Sembène. It was entered into the 10th Moscow International Film Festival

In Senegal, sometime after the establishment of a European presence in the area but before the imposition of direct French colonial administration, the Ceddo ("commoners") try to preserve their traditional culture against the onslaught of Islam, Christianity, and the slave trade. When local king Demba War sides with the Muslims, the Ceddo abduct his daughter, Dior Yacine, to protest their forced conversion to Islam. After trying to rescue the princess, various heirs to the throne are killed, and Demba War is killed during the night. Eventually the kidnappers are killed and Dior Yacine is brought back to the village to confront the imam, just as all the villagers are being given Muslim names.
 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipcync79CI&list=PLoFDYkUloZdgPE8CpOv0lheF_nKpKlndx&index=146

Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness...this may be a helpful read for you

-

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
To exaggerate inner African input into the Transatlantic Slave Trade is to exaggerate African complicity because Europeans did not often venture into the interior
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
Lioness...this may be a helpful read for you

-

The emphasis of thus book is Bantu influence
The word "Sahel" is not even found

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] The desperateness in this person above is beyond pathetic. Chad is also deep in the interior. lol

I don't know why you are mentioning Chad

Show us evidence many slaves who arrived in America came from Chad

Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Andromeda2025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who put you in charge of blame? Gate keeping for your colonial masters? lol...

The Asante went into the interior and retrieved slaves... one of the Kingdoms that Asante raided was the Kingdom of Dagbon in NW Ghana right south of the Sahel.

"The Kingdom of Dagbon is a traditional kingdom in northern Ghana, founded by the Dagomba people in the 15th century. During its independence, it comprised, at various points, the Northern, Upper West and Upper East regions of present-day Ghana.[1] Since Ghana's independence in 1957, the kingdom has been limited to a traditional, customary role.

Oral histories of the kingdom tell that it was founded by a warrior named Tohazie, who arrived to present-day northern Ghana in the 15th century with his cavalry men from east of Lake Chad, stopping in Zamfara, present-day northern Nigeria, and in the Mali Empire, before settling in northern Ghana. These histories tell of numerous conflicts with neighbouring peoples throughout this early period until the early 18th century, when the capital of the kingdom was moved to the city of Yendi. Around this time, Islam arrived to the kingdom, and a period of peace and increased trade with neighbouring kingdoms began."

Current ethnic groups residing in Northern Ghana

Mole–Dagbani
Dagomba (Dagbani)
Gonja (Guan)
Wala (Waala)
Gurunsi (Gurunsi)
Mossi (Mooré)
Mamprusi (Mampruli)
Afro-Asiatic
Hausawa (Hausa/Ghananci)
Songhai
Zabarima (Zarma)
Mandé
Wangara (Dyula/Ligbi/Busansi)

Ghanaian-Fulani
Fulfulde (Fula (Maasina))

African Roots of the Blues Part 5 - Talensi Fiddle Music From Northern Ghana, West Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzqDq2R7KT0

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com