EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egyptian hierogylphic "billboard" from 3250 BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian hierogylphic "billboard" from 3250 BC
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Ancient Egyptian "billboard" could rewrite history of hieroglyphs

quote:
Archaeologists from Yale and the Royal Museums of Art and History in Belgium have discovered an ancient Egyptian "billboard" that might turn back the clock on when the hieroglyphic writing system was thought to be introduced to the general population. The huge inscriptions date back to about 3,250 BCE, and show a form of writing that was thought to only be used by the ruling class at that time.

The new writings were discovered on a hill in the desert of Elkab, which was a bustling area in ancient Egypt. While the hieroglyphs were widely known from tokens and labels at the time, it was thought that the written symbols were mostly used for bureaucratic purposes. But here they were, scrawled across a rock face along a well-traveled route like a road sign, indicating that the general public may have had access to writing earlier than previously thought.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7158 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DD'eDeN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here familiar with the 'tokens' referred to? I've got fire-bow-drilled eggshell disk-beads as ferry tokens via coupon/kufa.

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

Posts: 2021 | From: Miami | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com