EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What are the known linguistic connections between Africa and Ancient Greece?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are the known linguistic connections between Africa and Ancient Greece?
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Habsburg Agenda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My interest has been piqued by the name Naia that was given to the woman whose skull was found in Mexico.

quote:

Naia is a Greek name for girls.
The meaning is `water nymph, younger sister

Nya is a common name among South Sudanese. Every other South Sudanese girl has a name prefixed with Nya-, which is the prefix for girl/female. A simple search on Youtube

Somalis also use the word nayaa to address girls in the way Black Americans will use the term "shawty" to address a young woman.

I can't help noticing the connection between that word and the Greek "Naia".

Are there any more of these connections?

PS. The pictures are immaterial, but where would an ES post be without pictures of pretty women. Please guys when replying exercise self-control and resist the urge to include the photos. I am serious!!

PPS. Take note of the latter. She may be the missing link between Europe's royal families and their South Sudanese ancestors.

-
Nyaj Johnson

-
Nyma Tang

-
Naima Bint Harith

-
Nyajal

--------------------
The Habsburg Agenda - Defending Western Christian civilization

Posts: 890 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's abundant historical documentation of the ancient Greeks being in contact with African societies (e.g. not only Egypt but also Kush/"Aethiopia", along with assorted "Libyan" tribes), so I have no problem with the idea of Greek absorbing some loanwords from African languages. If anything, a complete absence of African influence on Greek, whether direct or indirect, seems much more improbable to me.

I doubt "Naia" counts as an example of an African loanword though. It's supposed to have evolved from ancient Greek words like naein or nama, which refer to flowing or running water respectively. You'd have to show a similar etymology for those words or prefixes in African languages you think sound similar to "Naia". Bonus points if the languages in question have any relationship to those of Africans whom the Greeks would have contacted in ancient times.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7105 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Habsburg Agenda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

A point to note here is that Naia is also the word for water nymph which is a female being.

water nymphs also seem to be related to the Asia's apsaras

I am not interested in the word naia alone, but it seems there is more scope for study and research in this area.

I have a feeling that the connections with the not so Afro-Asiatic Africa are being ignored.

--------------------
The Habsburg Agenda - Defending Western Christian civilization

Posts: 890 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name Naia is derived from the Greek word Naiad meaning 'to flow' as in the water of a spring or well.

Unless you can prove the Nilotic language of Sudan has this name with the same root meaning then you may have a case of influence.

The Sanskrit word apsaras is a different word for a different being. Apsarasas were celestial nymphs of the heavens whose element of water is related to water vapor that makes up the clouds.

Posts: 26348 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.amazon.com/Who-were-Minoans-African-Answer/dp/1425920071

Like Sumer a lot of the answers go back to Bantu.
 -

Those wily Afrocentrics.

Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ledama Kenya
Member # 21677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledama Kenya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Habsburg Agenda:
My interest has been piqued by the name Naia that was given to the woman whose skull was found in Mexico.

quote:

Nya is a common name among South Sudanese. Every other South Sudanese girl has a name prefixed with Nya-, which is the prefix for girl/female. A simple search on Youtube

Somalis also use the word nayaa to address girls in the way Black Americans will use the term "shawty" to address a young woman.

Actually the word Nya is common in both Nilotic Luo groups and Bantu tribes like Luhya, Kikuyu, Kisii,Kuria

https://mobile.nation.co.ke/blogs/-How-certain-Greek-words-are-Nilo-Hamitic--in-their-origin-/1949942-2196888-format-xhtml-uloxxxz/index.html

quote:
If the English words engines and ingenuity come, through the Latin ingenium, from the Nilo-Coptic word ingeny, we should expect to find descendants of the archetypal African word in some extant southern Nilotic languages. In Kenya alone, members of the Nilotic pool include the Kalenjin, Luo, Maasai, Teso and Turkana. Dholuo is the system in which I grew up, though I am also well read on the Kalenjin.
Indeed, remnants of ingeny are found in both languages. In The Kalenjin People’s Egypt Origin Legend Revisited, Kipkoeech araap Sambu, a Kalenjin scholar, reminds us: “In Gnostic philosophy, God (appeared) in threefold (forms) after calling forth ‘himself from himself’: Nous, ‘Mind’, Ennoia, ‘thought’ or ‘idea’, and Logos, ‘word’ or ‘reason’.”
He writes that it was the European Christian Church — heir to Rome’s Orthodox Christological Literalism — that “…later equated Nous with ‘God the Father’, Ennoia with ‘god the holy spirit’ (God the mother) and Logos with ‘God the Son’…”
JOHN'S GOSPEL
In The Bible: The Biography, Karen Armstrong affirms that, in Greek, Logos stood for “...‘Reason’, ‘definition’, ‘word’ (and) God’s Logos was identified with the Wisdom (or) Word of God which (had) brought everything into being, and had communicated with human beings throughout history…”
Now isn’t that a good summary of the “intro” to John’s gospel? The original Coptic word which Ptolemaic Greek borrowed as Logos remains in Kalenjin as loogoi and in Dholuo as loko — which mean word reasoning, exegesis, interpretation, translation. Hence Sambu: “The … Greek words Nous (and) Ennoia … belong to the group of words … common to both Kalenjin and Greek.

gathara.blogspot.com/2009/06/mau-forest-idps.html?m=1

quote:
In his book, THE KALENJIN EGYPT ORIGIN LEGEND REVISITED, [Kipkoech arap] Sambu retorts that there is “…one important piece of evidence that should disturb this long-held theory. The ancient [Nilo-Coptic] word for ‘canals’, ‘rivers’... NAIEERU ... appears to be a more convincing origin of the name ‘Nile’…”
He explains that, among the ancient Nilotes — as among today’s Chinese, Japanese, Mount Kenya Bantus and even some Kalenjin dialects (such as Arror, Sabaoot and Terik) — the liquid consonants l and r were always interchangeable. Thus NAIERO was always apt to come out of the mouth as NAIELO, and vice versa.
It was the African Danaans (also called Pelasgians, Cadmeians and Libyo-Ethiopians) who took NAIELO to Greece in the fourth millennium BC. Known, too, as Graikoi, “people of Graiai” — the Grey Goddess — they were the autochthons of Greece, the first and only real GREEKS.
It was the Indo-European Hellenes — invading their country during the second millennium BC — who distorted Naielo into NEILOS or NILOS, which soon passed into Latin as NILUS and into later Western European languages, including French and English, as NILE.

egypt-tehuti.org/articles/kalenjin.html

quote:
For thousands of years, Egypt was known to the entire ancient world as Kagypta, meaning the sanctuary of Pta. Pta, now known as Kiptaiyat in modern Kalenjin language, was the deity of Memphis. When the Greeks came to Egypt about 2500 years ago, they could not pronounce the word Kagypta. Instead, they pronounced it as Aigyptos or Aegyptus. They also referred to people of Egypt as Kiptaios (see the word Kiptaiyaat above!).
The word, kmt, which the Egyptians referred to as their country, is also traceable to the Kalenjin tongue. Kemet in Kalenjin means country. Some other Egyptians called their country Khemet, which historians used to coin the word Hamites.
Pharaoh in Kalenjin language means a massively built house, a leader or president. In fact, Pharaoh should be written as Parao, from the words Para (meaning big or vast) and ooh or woor, meaning the big one. Parao should mean the leader of the entire nation. I say it should be Parao because the English word Empire is derived from it. Em in Kalenjin and Ancient Egyptian means country, while para or pire means wide, big or vast. Hence, the Europeans coined the word Empire and its derivatives from the word Parao or Pharaoh! The Kalenjin people have produced some of the Egyptian Pharaohs.
Pharaoh Amasis in Kalenjin may mean the one loved by God, the one who loves God, the one who eats God or the one who is eaten by God. Am in Kalenjin means eat, while Asista means the sun. There are many other examples.

Posts: 306 | From: Kenya | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nia was a common name among some of the Proto-Saharan tribes. Nia was used as the name for the goddess Neith among the Cretans.

The leading tribes that claim descent from Maa include the Dogon and Mande. Before the introduction of Islam, the Mande worshipped Athene or Neith and Amon. They called Neith, Nia and Amon was called N’ama.

In Greek mythology Athene or Neith took the first olive tree to be planted in Crete, after Libya became arid. She was a major god in Libya and Lower Egypt. This is significant because one of the pre-Islamic gods of the Manding was called Ni-ya/Nia . This Nia is probably the Neith of the Greeks. The goddess Neith came from Africa.

-

The goddess Neith is frequently mentioned in the funerary tablets of ancient Crete in the form of Nia. A comparison of the Vai (member of the Manding group) signs and Linear A signs, indicate that the sign for Nia/Neith is . This sign is formed by two symbols na and ___ i. Thus was Nia among the Manding. Ni-ya/ Nia was a mother goddess, protector of nature and manifestation of life.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that the name is so short, it could either be a loanword, or chance similarity. To establish if this word is cognate with any other term in African languages, one needs to first establish a series of regular sound-meaning correspondences. One must account for all sounds in the word. Otherwise, we are playing the look-a-like game and that is not how scholarship is done.

quote:

quote:

PS. The pictures are immaterial, but where would an ES post be without pictures of pretty women. Please guys when replying exercise self-control and resist the urge to include the photos. I am serious!!

PPS. Take note of the latter. She may be the missing link between Europe's royal families and their South Sudanese ancestors.

-
Nyaj Johnson

-
Nyma Tang

-
Naima Bint Harith

-
Nyajal

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:
Given that the name is so short, it could either be a loanword, or chance similarity. To establish if this word is cognate with any other term in African languages, one needs to first establish a series of regular sound-meaning correspondences. One must account for all sounds in the word. Otherwise, we are playing the look-a-like game and that is not how scholarship is done.

quote:

quote:

-
Nyaj Johnson

-
Nyma Tang

-
Naima Bint Harith

-
Nyajal

You don't know what you're talking about. You don't look at all sounds in a word you look at the entire word. Comparative linguistics is based on agreement of consonants within a word.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com