EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » aDNA from the middle Nile c 2000 BCE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: aDNA from the middle Nile c 2000 BCE
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wang, K., Bleasdale, M., Le Moyne, C. et al.
4000-year-old hair from the Middle Nile highlights unusual ancient DNA degradation pattern and a potential source of early eastern Africa pastoralists.

Sci Rep 12, 20939 (2022).

https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-25384-y

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-25384-y

Our population genetic analysis of this hair sample from northern Sudan reveals a close genetic affinity of the Kerma period individual to early pastoralists from the Rift Valley in eastern Africa. Drawing on this evidence, as well as previously published proteomic evidence of dietary proteins extracted from the dental calculus of this individual, we conclude that our sample (“Sudan_Kadruka1_4000BP”) represents one of the earliest and most northerly ancient pastoralist populations to have been genetically characterised in Africa to date, as well as potentially a genetic source population for one of the earliest prehistoric pastoralist dispersals into eastern Africa.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how good this analysis but it's interesting...

Another analysis of the components of KDR001 sample

-

Components analysis of Kadruka sample No. KDR001
From northern Sudan at the age of 4000 years ago
From the study of Wang et al. 2022

-

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if predynastic Upper Egyptian genomes will bear any resemblance to this Kerma-period genome from Kadruka. We know that remains from Kerma are among those “Nubian” samples which resemble predynastic Upper Egyptians at least on the cranial level. Would be interesting to see if the future aDNA data will say the same thing as the cranial research.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Indeed, the predynastic Naqada folk who are the forebears of pharaonic culture show close cranial affinities to Kerma folk both metrically and non-metrically.

metrics
 -

non-metrics
 -

What does this say about the Naqada people then?

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Indeed, the predynastic Naqada folk who are the forebears of pharaonic culture show close cranial affinities to Kerma folk both metrically and non-metrically.

metrics
 -

non-metrics
 -

What does this say about the Naqada people then?

It says that they were literally "Nubians" in every sense of the word as the name of the town in ancient times was "Nubt", based on the word for gold. And it was named that because it was an ancient gold trading center which would mean the people of the town were gold traders, with many of the gold mines being in the eastern desert and to the south as part of a network of caravans. So that makes them gold traders or "Nubians" which is part of the wealth that help establish the kingdom and also connected them to other parts of the Nile to the South. Obviously nothing to do with the idea of "Nubia" meaning "black" because that is not what the term "nub" means in heiroglyphs.
Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com