EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Kushite/Nubian depictions of other civilizations?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kushite/Nubian depictions of other civilizations?
Ibis
Member # 23674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ibis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several posts on this site discussing Egyptian depictions of Nubians, so I thought we could do something fresh for a change and make a thread on depictions of other civilizations by the Nubians.

First up, we have two depictions from queen Qalhata's tomb. These two are probably our best bet when it comes to how they depicted Egyptians.

Imsety, the human son of Horus

-

An unknown Egyptian god
 -

While these are actually gods, they're still nice to have given the extensive history between the two nations.

Next, Senkamanisken, slaying what seems to be asiatic invaders, a redrawing from a depiction that originates from the Temple of Amun
 -

Prince Arikankharer slaying asiatic invaders, their helmets look similar to the philistine helmet.

-

Last, but not least Amanirenas with what I assume are defeated romans(correct me if I am wrong).
 -

Feel free to add any examples I missed.

Posts: 83 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ibis:

Imsety, the human son of Horus

-

Yet Queen Qalhata is depicted similarly with the same features and complexion as Imsety.

King Tanwetamani led by deities.

-

Most of the paintings in these Nubian tombs are of Nubians themselves and only a few Egyptian deities.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26325 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebitku
Member # 23742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebitku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 206 | From: Nibiru | Registered: Mar 2023  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Wow, this is my first time seeing those bells. What I find interesting is the fact that many years ago I read a paper about how ancient Nubian religious rites survived in later Christian and now Islamic times. One of those rites is the belief that the ringing of bells dispels or drives away evil. This was used not only by church bells during the Christian Period but even in modern Nubian villages women in zar rituals or pregnant women would wear small jingle bells etc. And now it appears the Meroites used bells in their execration rites with depictions of foreign foes! Very fascinating.
Posts: 26325 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an article that tells more about the depictions above.

About the color pictures:
quote:
The most detailed depiction of roman captives in Kush came from the murals in chapel building M. 292 at Meroe (the so-called “Augustus temple”), water color images of these murals were made by the archeologist Garstang in 1910 and were sent to the Boston museum in 1948, and they remain some of the few meroitic temple murals that have been studied to date, providing us with an approximate idea of the original colors, dressing and overall painting, as well as highlighting the variations in ethnic differences of the bound prisoners based on the clothing, accessories, and skin tone.
-
... the paintings were washed away in a violent storm after they had been studied

The evolving image of the European in African art from antiquity until the 19th century: from Roman captives in Kush, to Portuguese traders in Benin, to Belgian colonialists in Congo

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2699 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibis
Member # 23674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ibis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Wow, this is my first time seeing those bells.

Same. And I'm the one who decided to dedicate time researching the manner...Kushite history can be so frustrating at times, as most sources don't bother to speak more than the "mainstream events" such as the 25th Dynast and the Roman-Kushite war.
Posts: 83 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibis
Member # 23674

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:

quote:
The most detailed depiction of roman captives in Kush came from the murals in chapel building M. 292 at Meroe (the so-called “Augustus temple”), water color images of these murals were made by the archeologist Garstang in 1910 and were sent to the Boston museum in 1948, and they remain some of the few meroitic temple murals that have been studied to date, providing us with an approximate idea of the original colors, dressing and overall painting, as well as highlighting the variations in ethnic differences of the bound prisoners based on the clothing, accessories, and skin tone.
-
... the paintings were washed away in a violent storm after they had been studied

The evolving image of the European in African art from antiquity until the 19th century: from Roman captives in Kush, to Portuguese traders in Benin, to Belgian colonialists in Congo
Thank you for sharing this site. I had no idea that "Tǝmeya" was used by the Kushites to address white europeans. Very interestin.g
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:

quote:
-

Thank you for sharing this site. I had no idea that "Tǝmeya" was used by the Kushites to address white europeans. Very interestin.g
google this:

Les interprétations historiques des stčles méroďtiques d’Akinidad ŕ la lumičre des récentes découvertes

but before you click on the google result
hit "translate this page" if you want it to come up in English:

Historical interpretations of the Meroitic steles of Akinidad in the light of recent discoveries", in Language and history: proceedings of the Colloquium of the Doctoral Study of History of Paris 1, INHA, October 20 and 21, 2006, edited by J.- Ph. Genet, J. M. Bertrand and P. Boiley, Publications de la Sorbonne, 2011: p. 33-50.

quote:

translated from the French:

LANGUAGE AND HISTORY | Jean-Marie Bertrand , Pierre Boilley , Jean-Philippe Genet , et al.

Historical interpretations of the Meroitic stelae of Akinidad in the light of recent discoveries
Claude Rilly
p. 33-50

Romans and “Whites”: the second Naga stele

We have seen that Sayce and Griffith's identification of the enemy of the Meroites as "Roman" on the basis of the term armi must be abandoned. It is however possible that the Romans, newcomers to the region, were designated at this time by a less transparent term than the toponym Arome would later be. However, we have recently acquired a document which provides us with a clue of this kind. We mentioned one of the two stelae in the name of Queen Amanishakheto recently found in Naga. The second (REM 1293) is only known from small photos published in 2000, but we are obliged to Prof. Dietrich Wildung and Karla Kröper, responsible for the excavations for the Berlin Museum, for sending us enlargements. On the front of the stele is the lion god Apedemak, seated in majesty on his throne. The god's consort, the goddess Amesemi, brings the Candace Amanishakheto before her divine husband. Beneath this frame develops a frieze of hindered, kneeling enemies. Each of them has a cursive legend drawn along their body.

26The first prisoner (figure 3) differs greatly from the following ones, with frizzy hair and Negroid features, practically naked, who clearly represent enemy tribes neighboring Meroe. He is in fact dressed in a short-sleeved tunic, tightened at the waist by a large belt, and a brimmed helmet with a wide chin strap. Finally, his face presents European features which contrast with his companions in misfortune. This is clearly a Roman or Greek soldier. His body is crossed out with an inscription which, fortunately, is entirely legible, unlike the legends of the other captives: tmey-lo "it's a Tameya". There is no doubt that this is an ethnic type designation.

25 I. Hofmann, Material für eine nieroitische Grammatik, op. cit. not. 17, p. 117 (title); NB Millet (...)
26 The Blemmyes are a people originating from the eastern desert which corresponds to the modern Bedja du Soud (...)
27 See NB Millet, “The Kharamandoye Inscription (MI 94) revisited”, Meroitic Newsletter , 30, 2003 (...)
28 See C. Rilly, The Meroitic and its linguistic family, op. cit. not. 18, p. 373. The name “Nubian (...)
29 See T. Eide et al., Fontes Historiae Nubiorum , III, p. 1153-1158.
27Under a more evolved vocalization temey (= /tǝmeya/), the term is attested in epitaphs from the 2nd to the 4th century in Lower Nubia. As it is most often a description of a character, we wanted to see possibly a title or a lineage 25 . However, the word is also found twice in personal names. A man from Karanog is called Temey-li "the Temeya" and a woman from Gebel Adda, not far from the Egyptian border, is called Temey-kdi-lẖ "the Great Temeya". As women are generally not bearers of titles, the hypothesis of dignity must be ruled out. But, above all, the word temey appears in the last of the royal texts (REM 0094), written in Meroitic well after the fall of Meroe (around 410-450 AD) for a local wren blemmye 26 of the region from Kalabcha, in Egyptian Nubia. Although this inscription poses the same problems as all royal texts, it is relatively clear that several enemy ethnic groups are named there, the two main ones being the Makhu ( Mẖo ) and our famous Temeya 27 . The Makhu are most likely the Nubians proper (see section 1), whose name can be reconstructed in their own language as ★ magur or ★ magi 28 . However, the third major actor in the post-Meroitic history of Lower Nubia, after the Nubians and the Blemmyes, is none other than the Roman power of Egypt, which had to fight their recurring incursions into the cities of the Thebaid located not far from the border 29 . It is therefore more than probable that the term temey designates in the Kharamadoye inscription the authorities of Roman Egypt.

30 Many languages ​​in the region in fact designate White people by the color red, which is truly (...)
28 If this name Tameya/Temeya was obviously applied to the Romans, it seems equally obvious to us that it was not a precise ethnonym. The presence in Lower Nubia, in the late period, of Meroitic epitaphs for individuals named "the Great Temeya" or "the Temeya", rather suggests individuals of Greek, or even North Egyptian, ancestry, who distinguished themselves still indigenous by their skin color, but who were perfectly integrated into the local population, with whom they shared the language, religion and partly the lineages. The term Tameya/Temeya was undoubtedly intended to designate the “Whites”, those we call today in Sudan and Egypt the “ Khawaja ”, without further details on their nationality. The origin of the term Meroitic is unknown. We do not think that it referred to a specific color, white or red 30 , because the proto-SON, ancestor of the Meroitic language, has the roots ★ ar- and ★ sar- respectively for these two shades. It is possible that the word comes from the Egyptian TmHw , applied to the Libyans in Middle Kingdom texts, but still used in Sudan in the inscriptions of the Kushite pharaoh Taharqo, around 590 BC. The Libyans were in fact the first white people that the Kushites of the 25th dynasty met, with the exception of the Egyptians, whom they had known for a long time. They held royal power during the previous so-called “Libyan” dynasties and the kings of Kush had to fight them to subdue Lower Egypt where they still had their fiefdoms.

quote:
quote:

Same. And I'm the one who decided to dedicate time researching the manner...Kushite history can be so frustrating at times, as most sources don't bother to speak more than the "mainstream events" such as the 25th Dynast and the Roman-Kushite war.
Look at this, some of László Török's books available to read in full text

one of the most well-known and most acknowledged researchers of the Hellenistic period of ancient Egypt and the ancient Nubia.

https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A"Török%2C+László"

sign up to borrow a book online from the Internet Archive Digital Library , it's free and easy. They have a huge amount of books and some movies
you'll be glad you did.

László Török
Books and Publications

A szegedi eklektika (1966)
Meroé és Nubia a 2.-7. században (1977)

Economic Offices and Officials in Meroitic Nubia (1979)

Der meroitische Staat (1986)
The Royal Crowns of Kush. A Study in Middle Nile Valley Regalia and Iconography in the 1st Millennia BC and AD (1987)

Late Antique Nubia (1988)

Coptic Antiquities I–II. (1993)

Fontes Historiae Nubiorum. Textual Sources for the History of the Middle Nile Region between the eighth Century BC and the sixth Century AD (1994)

Meroe. Six Studies on the Cultural Identity of An Ancient African State (1995)

The Birth of an Ancient African Kingdom (1995)

Egyptian Terracottas of the Hellenistic and Roman Periods (1995)

The Kingdom of Kush. Handbook of the Napatan-Meroitic Civilization (1997)

A vadászó kentaur (1998)
The Image of the Ordered World in Ancient Nubian Art (2002)

Transfigurations of Hellenism. Aspects of Late Antique Art in Egypt AD 250-700 (2005)

Between Two Worlds. The Frontier Region between Ancient Nubia and Egypt 3700 BC - AD 500 (2009)

Hellenizing Art in Ancient Nubia 300 BC - AD 250 and its Egyptian Models. A Study in "Acculturation" (2011)

Herodotus in Nubia (2014)

Posts: 42968 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:

Yeah, it's the usual with mainstream sources on Kush which is why one has to dig deeper just to find sources on pre-Meroitic periods as well as other things.

I wonder of the label of Tameya has any relation to the name Tamahu.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I wonder of the label of Tameya has any relation to the name Tamahu.

That occurred to me too, and the source lioness posted above suggests that as well.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7103 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

http://www.meroiticnewsletter.org/MeroNews30.pdf

The Meroitic Newsletter
meroiticnewsletter.org
http://www.meroiticnewsletter.org › MeroNews30
PDF
by GDEM DE PARIS · 2003

TG 24-25 : The series of nouns, as they appear to be, which end in the syllable -s, were
thought by me in earlier attempts on the text to be ethnic terms, the names oftribes or peoples
involved in the power-plays ofpost-Meroitic Lower Nubia; my understanding has not changed.
The element s appears to occur in the title or epithet s-qo which appears before the name of
the deceased on the monuments ofa man named Pakhome, monuments found by the Spanish
expedition at NagC Gamus ; this might well mean nothing more that" noble person", since
in this position more specific titles usually follow the person's name (see Meroitic Nubia,
p. 231, for the matching female form kdi-qo, as well as further evidence on this point). Since
the word sq- occurs later without the ending -ye, as does the word temey- in the Adda and
some other texts, I have in the rendering taken the liberty ofinserting an C ayin in both cases,
to show in a purely symbolic fashion that some other consonant, perhaps an cayin or a fricative,
must have been heard which the limitations of the Meroitic script were unable to reproduce
as such. These variations oftwo ofthe terms in this TG must thus, I think" be seen as further
evidence of their being words of non-Meroitic origin.

TG 6 & 7 : The following two stiches may as said comprise a thought-couplet of the kind
suggested above, ifthe presence in both ofthe element qr is an indication. Although it may be
rash to attribute such a degree of art to the composer of our text, it is not impossible given the
frequency of this particular device in writings from ancient times in general, and it is not
unknown in Nubian heroic poetry of a later time. In MNL n° 13 the first TG was rendered
" parent ofprinces? ", suggested 1) by the possible analysis ofthe princely title pqr as p-qr, and
2) by that of the epithet of Isis, ptroti = ptrose-li, as p-trose-li. The word trose occurs in a
funerary text from Arminna (Arminna 1b) in the clause temey-Ih bereqedoli trose-lowi
" she? was trose of the Temeya-chief Bereqedoli ". In MI 101 the goddess Isis is apparently
described as aro-I trose-I. My inclination at present is still to take trose as meaning
" parent ", arol-trose as meaning" parent of Horus ", and the p- in p-trose as meaning
something like" royal/divine/noble child ". The qr in p-qr might then mean" prince" or
perhaps" heir ", with qr-ke in TG 7 being an in some way modified form ofit. The following
group ofTGs seem to be, as has been recognized since Griffith's time, phrases" in praise of
the king", in each case relating him somehow to a deity; together with the preceding lines,
they comprise the lengthiest and most effusive royal protocol to be fou~d in any Meroitic I
inscription of whatever date. Although many known gods of the Meroitic pantheon are .
mentioned, the name of the god Mandulis, the paramount god of Kalabsha and of the
Blemmyes, is conspicuous by its absence. One is led to wonder whether this was intentional,

-------------

In the case ofthe Serra text, the following TGs seem to describe warlike activity and the
capture ofa Noba prisoner, while the Adda instance is an interpolated line apparently inserted
as an afterthought to expand the listed titles and honorifics of a distinguished relative of the
deceased, the" chiefTemeya " Apeloye

Posts: 42968 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ From what I understand there is evidence suggesting that Meroitic is an Afrasian language related to Cushitic, specifically Beja but still unique in some aspects. The Meroitic name for the goddess Isis was Wusa which many Egyptologists think maybe the cognate to Egyptian Wst/Waset meaning powerful one.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com