EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Saudi women to work in lingerie shops next month - finally!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saudi women to work in lingerie shops next month - finally!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saudi women to work in lingerie shops next month Tue May 9, 12:57 PM ET

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia confirmed on Tuesday women would replace male sales assistants in lingerie shops from next month, ending an awkward anomaly in the ultra-conservative Islamic state.

The government, which wants more women to work as part of its efforts to diversify the country's oil-dependent economy and reduce reliance on foreign labor, took the decision last June and businesses were given a year to prepare for implementation.

Many clerics and Islamists in Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam which imposes a strict version of Sunni Islam, have opposed the idea as the start of reform process promoted by King Abdullah that they fear will liberalize the stringent system.

"Concern for women's role and their participation in society's development has been in the works for 25 years," official news agency SPA quoted Labor Minister Ghazi Algosaibi as saying.

Algosaibi, who is despised by hardline Islamists as a liberal reformer, said plans to allow women to work in other sectors of the economy would also go ahead, citing a group of government-backed clerics who have approved the reforms.

While women in Saudi Arabia are not supposed to mix in public with men outside their immediate family, they have little alternative to buying their most intimate items of clothing from men.

Women, who are not allowed to drive or vote, also face employment restrictions because of the need to segregate sexes.

The Labor Ministry has said the women's shops must be designed to prevent anyone from outside looking in, and that women's sections in larger shops should have separate entrances.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for concernedforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about time the women had a role in things in Saudia Arabia. The women and men should not be segregated in employment situations.
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree and especially when it comes to selling women underwear.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for concernedforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily, I think it's ridiculous for them to have separate entrances in larger shops when women go to buy underwear in Saudia Arabia. I think the women should be able to buy the underwear from other women, but I think it's okay for the men to sell underwear to women, too. I think it's okay for the women to work in lingerie shops in Saudia Arabia, but I see nothing wrong with men doing it also.
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I have no problem with secret ladies undies shops.
I want to chat with the shopkeeper about personal things (uhhh, can I get a bigger top and cotton bottoms?)
I would rather the boys stay out of women's underwear business.
Unless he is gay, in which case he can be really helpful and FUN TOO!!!
[Razz]

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
I don't think that the women's underwear shops should be made to where noone can see in. As long as you can't see in the dressing room, then there should be no problem.
mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mocking bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so fast..

Muslim clerics' anger delays Saudi plan to let women sell lingerie
By Anton La Guardia, Diplomatic Editor
(Filed: 16/05/2006)

Saudi Arabia has postponed plans to replace male sales staff in lingerie shops with women.

The move had been its first cautious attempt to bring more women into the work-place.

But even minor reforms have incurred the wrath of ultra-conservative religious leaders, such as the Grand Mufti Shaikh Abdel-Aziz al-Sheikh, who has denounced them as "steps towards immorality and hellfire".

In a country that requires women to cover up in public, and bans them from driving, shop assistants are invariably men - even in stores selling women's underwear and cosmetics. The kingdom's sole exceptions are the few all-female shopping centres.

King Abdallah's government last year ordered lingerie shop owners to hire all-female sales staff by next month. In 2007, the policy was to have been extended to stores selling dresses and abayas (the black robes worn by women for modesty).

The policy is being pushed by the Saudi labour minister, Ghazi Algosaibi, a former Saudi ambassador to Britain. But Mr Algosaibi has become a hate figure among puritanical Wahhabi clerics.

In an audio message last month, Osama bin Laden said he was a leading "heretic" who should be killed. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/16/wsaudi16.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/05/16/ixnews.html

Posts: 199 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mocking bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All those saudi men working in ladies' underwear.

Knickers are down at Abdullah's, so they say.

Posts: 199 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Who cares who sells women's underwear? You know,a woman selling underwear is not exactly a reason for a religious uprising. Far too much infisis is placed on a woman's chasity in Saudia Arabia. Mocking bird, I don't see why they make such big thing over women being in workplace in the Kingdom. This should not be a issue at all. If a woman sells underwear to another woman, she does not lose her morals. Why are they even fighting over such a thing?
mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
It's not that the Saudis have some hang-up about women selling underwear to another woman. It's that they have a hang-up with the idea of women working in paid employment, Muslims being, as we know, uncomfortable with the idea of female independence. The significance of the women's underwear here is merely that it would be an obvious thing for women to be allowed to sell, if they were to be allowed gainful employment at all. But obviously women gaining such independence would be a step towards "immorality and hellfire". Heck, whatever next? They might start thinking they were worth less than half a man.
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Yes, well men who are threatened by independent women are stupid, Mocking Bird.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com