EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Koran fatwa stirs controversy in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Koran fatwa stirs controversy in Cairo
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Published: Sept. 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM

CAIRO, Sept. 1 (UPI) -- The Egyptian government and leading clerics rejected a fatwa banning Muslims from listening to the Koran in public places.

Sheik Gamal Qutb, who led a fatwa committee at the prestigious al-Azhar mosque and university in Cairo, said Muslims should not listen to recitations of the holy Koran while in public.

"Listening to the Koran in public and crowded places implies lack of respect," he said. "People who do that deal with the Koran with carelessness."

Qutb complained that Muslims who listen to the Koran while engaged in other activities are not focused on its teaching.

Ahmed al-Sayeh, a theology professor at al-Azhar, rejected the claims, saying Muslims who listen in public are more devout because of the practice.

"Listening to Quran in public places does not imply any carelessness," he told al-Arabiya. "On the contrary, those who do that honor the Quran to the extent that they need to listen to it everywhere."

Qutb maintained his position, however, arguing that Muslims who listened in public were not meditating on the teachings of the holy book.

"Is this respect for the words of God?" he asked.

http://www.upi.com/Emerging_Threats/2009/09/01/Koran-fatwa-stirs-controversy-in-Cairo/UPI-83441251826384/

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Published: Sept. 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM

CAIRO, Sept. 1 (UPI) -- The Egyptian government and leading clerics rejected a fatwa banning Muslims from listening to the Koran in public places.

Sheik Gamal Qutb, who led a fatwa committee at the prestigious al-Azhar mosque and university in Cairo, said Muslims should not listen to recitations of the holy Koran while in public.

"Listening to the Koran in public and crowded places implies lack of respect," he said. "People who do that deal with the Koran with carelessness."

Qutb complained that Muslims who listen to the Koran while engaged in other activities are not focused on its teaching.

I agree actually. Although I like to hear Quran anywhere I dont think its 'proper' to have it playing when Im on a bus where the guy next to me or outside is shouting or using profane language. It becomes 'background music' and is not listened to with the respect it deserves.

quote:
Ahmed al-Sayeh, a theology professor at al-Azhar, rejected the claims, saying Muslims who listen in public are more devout because of the practice.

"Listening to Quran in public places does not imply any carelessness," he told al-Arabiya. "On the contrary, those who do that honor the Quran to the extent that they need to listen to it everywhere."

No, I think they want to SHOW they are more devuot though.

quote:
Qutb maintained his position, however, arguing that Muslims who listened in public were not meditating on the teachings of the holy book.

"Is this respect for the words of God?" he asked.

http://www.upi.com/Emerging_Threats/2009/09/01/Koran-fatwa-stirs-controversy-in-Cairo/UPI-83441251826384/

People may have Quran playing while they are doing some of the worst things, so no its not showing resept, its not showing they are more devout, it is showing that Quran can become a background that is not really listened to, not pondered on and thought about.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, it's allowed to play the Quoran in public places? How must I see this; as an background music everywhere in the city and the citystreets, or is it just displayed by the ones who actually use backgroundmusic? I can imagine- when I hear the cacophony from already existing sounds- the traffic, the horns, the call for prayers- this must be just another sound added on the already existing noise.

Besides that, it isn't free anymore. I can imagine that, when somebody wants to listen to the quoran, they turn on the quoran-channel on the radio. But if they don't want to listen, they are forced to listen, even when you aren't a muslim....like the Copts...

Another strange occuring in a strange country...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:

this practice is not at all limited to this unfortunate country, you will find it in almost every Muslim country, people are forced to listen to Quran in the background whether they like it or not, Quran is being played for no obvious reason in the weirdest of places, sometimes with a very high volume or with annoying distortion while people who claim to revere it so much are talking, shouting, cursing etc, and obviously not paying attention to what they hear, it's an Islamic phenomenon although I agree it takes more dramatic proportions in Egypt.
Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by misfit:
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:

this practice is not at all limited to this unfortunate country, you will find it in almost every Muslim country, people are forced to listen to Quran in the background whether they like it or not, Quran is being played for no obvious reason in the weirdest of places, sometimes with a very high volume or with annoying distortion while people who claim to revere it so much are talking, shouting, cursing etc, and obviously not paying attention to what they hear, it's an Islamic phenomenon although I agree it takes more dramatic proportions in Egypt.
at least it is better than hearing ba3ror [Wink]
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dar-alifta.org/ViewFatwa.aspx?ID=731&LangID=1
the fatwa dates back to 2004 but it does not say anything about disrespect,it just states that it is ok as long as you do your work well and no one complains else ,it is not accepted

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ** Ahmad**:
http://www.dar-alifta.org/ViewFatwa.aspx?ID=731&LangID=1
the fatwa dates back to 2004 but it does not say anything about disrespect,it just states that it is ok as long as you do your work well and no one complains else ,it is not accepted

Akmad, the ARTICLE ABOUT the fatwa is talking about disrespect, so someone IS complaining about listening to Quran in places as a background music.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Who is ba3ror?
Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by misfit:
quote:

Who is ba3ror?
Do not know Ba3ror?!

Ele3enab El3enab El3enab......
A7mar........A7'dar

Do not know him and those alike

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com