EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » EGYPT: CONVERTED BACK COPTS STAY MUSLIM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EGYPT: CONVERTED BACK COPTS STAY MUSLIM
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EGYPT: CONVERTED BACK COPTS STAY MUSLIM

Cairo, 26 April (AKI) - The ten Egyptian Coptic Christians, who after having converted to Islam decided to return to their original faith, will remain Muslims at least on paper for the rest of their lives. A Cairo court has ruled that the ministry of the interior is not obliged to issue them new identity documents. The question of religious belief in Egypt often presents itself as an adminsitrative rather than a spiritual issue given that every Egyptian has an ID card which states his or her religion.

It is precisely for this reason that the ten Copt converts, after having rejected Islam and returned to Christianity, with a public ceremony, asked the ministry for new ID documents. But the ministry refused, on the grounds that according to Sharia law it was impossible to renounce the Islamic faith.

The law based on the Koran in fact forbids the faithful from passing from one religious creed to another and anyone who pronounces the "Shahada" or declaration of faith will be considered a Muslim forever.

The sentence handed down late Wednesday by a Cairo court explained that "the tribunal cannot uphold the request of the citizens" who were calling on the judiciary to force the government to issue new documents as "neither this nor other tribunals are able to see into the depths of the heart of a man, where only God can arrive."

The Copt community in Egypt numbers some nine million people and makes up an estimated ten percent of the Egyptian population which is majority Muslim.

(Ale/Aki)

Apr-26-07 15:20

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level_English.php?cat=Religion&loid=8.0.408803447&par=

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be better if religion and profession are out of State issued ID after all we are arguing the fact that there is no religion in politics. This way religion stays as a spiritual matter not a matter that the state has to interfere with.
Posts: 176 | From: Proud to be Egyptian | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homing pigeon
Member # 8039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homing pigeon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that this sentence will be over ruled before long on the basis of it being unconstitutional on the secular level, and debatable on the religious level. Just in the same way I change my address, profession or marital stautus on my Id, any other info on it is supposed to be alterable.
Posts: 670 | From: alex living in leeds, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZAME
Member # 12914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZAME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no compulsion in religion;
[2:256] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 173 | From: Sun | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh
Member # 10606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh God how idiotic...
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freshsoda
Member # 13226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freshsoda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZAME:
There is no compulsion in religion;
[2:256] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Read {9:29},{9:123} [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 653 | From: Great Manchester | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com