EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Certain things I did not know about islam and the quaran.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Certain things I did not know about islam and the quaran.
marydotapple
Member # 13361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydotapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been muslim for over 3 years now,I have taught myself islam and have many muslim friends who are more than willing to advise me..which is very good..but there are certain things that are unleft said or not shown to a newly convert..like the meaning of backbiting each other which of course happens..I read tonight if one muslim backbites another it is saying "would you like to eat a brother dead flesh" it is so insulting..I was talking with my egyption brother on the phone and you know he insults me saying I do not know everything about islam,so I explain this to him,he responds with no words just with silients..so its better to teach yourself islam dont you think? shaallah he has learnt a lesson tonight same as me! [Eek!]
Posts: 212 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, its great to find things out for yourself.

One thing I was amazed by when I read the Quran one day was how much charity and helping the poor is emphasized.

Good for you sis! keep it up inshallah, we're all still learning!

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for online learning islam

http://www.islamhouse.com for free books

for video
http://www.watchislam.com/videos/

but may be there is something better for videos

hibbah, any good site for english islamic videos u know?

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary, I have been a convert now for (omg I have to think) almost 5 years. [Eek!] omg time flies! In the beginning I tried to get much information from 'cradle muslims' but I would just end up with more information than I could process at one time or I would get vague information OR non-understandable information. I realized I just had to do it on my own and find the information on my own and take it slowly.

I think as converts often we are so eager and enthusiastic to learn learn learn everything we can because we feel that fire in our hearts that what we have chosen as our beliefs is true and right and it wasn't just forced on us because of the parents we were born to. That's a very liberating feeling, isn't it? [Smile] I know in the beginning I was so exacting and so intent on pointing out the faults of non-muslims and Muslims alike...instead of focusing so much on myself. I was so meticulous in everything, wudu, praying, invocations, etc. It wasn't until I married and my husband 'slowed me down' and showed me the side of Islam that was really sweet and peaceful and didn't require this energy ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS that I was really able to begin to see the religion as I am beginning to see it now.

I think we are all constantly in change and in evolution, especially with our beliefs. There is so much more to know or learn and I find sometimes I learn something new every week almost! Thankfully I was able to keep a cool head and didn't bail on learning so soon. I know so many who converted or wanted to convert too soon and began to learn too much too soon and got overloaded and discouraged. I feel so sad for this. Or there are others I know of who were wanting to convert but others (realizing it or not) discouraged them and eased them into the thinking that any real beliefs are pointless and unnecessary. [Frown]

I have found that some of my best friends are converts today...while in the beginning of my conversion I surrounded myself with 'cradle muslims' (those raised in the religion). I thought I would learn so much more from them or feel more included with them, and I seemed to find more and more that many of them only gave me a more confused view of Islam or discouraged me because their own actions were hypocritical (teaching me hadith or quran one minute and then going against what they taught me the next minute).
The best friends I have today and the ones I learn more from are the ones who have converted. We understand each other and don't feel the need to constantly correct each other or throw the religion in each others' faces. We have our beliefs, we are in constant transition but we don't have to overload each other and we can allow each other to grow and develop at our own pace. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this site. You can find free articles, books, audios, and videos on here. [Smile]

www.harunyahia.com

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydotapple
Member # 13361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydotapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your replys ..Thank you for the links..even after 3 years i tend to burn myself out sometimes..I agree it is better for a muslim to learn and study at their own pace without pressure from others..Iam fairly laid back now...smuckers thank you for your words i agree with you. [Smile]
Posts: 212 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you as Mualafs (converted to Islam) can establish a Mualaf Group in Cairo and having meeting once a week or other particular time for discussing anything about Islam and inviting Ustadzah/Sheikhs/Students from Al Azhar University to give taushiah/lessom so you get understanding from the right resources. Inshaallah.
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydotapple
Member # 13361

Rate Member
I agree learning from the right sources is very important..
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Heart:
inviting Ustadzah/Sheikhs/Students from Al Azhar University to give taushiah/lessom so you get understanding from the right resources.

Not everyone considers scholars from Al Azhar as the *right resources*.
[Wink]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with you Dalia on that point.
I know of 2 halaqa groups - one meets in Mohandisseen and Giza area and one meets in the Maadi area. They have yahoo groups set up for the women's only meetings. They meet at each other's apts, and set up prior the quran verse that will be discussed, someone leads, and then they discuss it. Been to a few - very nice people, bout 95% converts.
And you can bring your children.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the halaqa groups allow non-muslim women to attend?
I would be interested in finding out more about Islam from women.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dunno...but I tend to suspect that its all Muslim women that attend - at least it was the times that I attended.
But I bet that they wouldn't mind it online.
I have a gazillion different websites for info, and a bunch of books that you can take a lookie see at if we ever decide to meet up, or I could recommend some for you to read.

or you can start up your own learning group.
IMHO - you have to be very careful of whom you learn from. In my experience I ran into different online sites, and groups that were either more advanced down the road than I was, or we had differing opinions of subjects, and big fights can happen when that happens, mostly cuz each side is SURE that their's is the right path, and some have gotten incorrect info from a husband (for example), and never questioned their information.
I kinda shy away from things told to me that just don't set right with me - like its illogical, for instance. And the more that someone tries to force it on me - the more I rebel.
so, anyways..I just go along at my merry pace, some weeks I devour information, other weeks I take a break and digest it all.
I guess all I am saying is that anyone thinking about or studying Islam should go at their own pace - basically letting God lead you along the path that he has in mind for you.

does that make any sense?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely does jean_bean everyone should go at their own pace and what feels right for them

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com