EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Is celebrating birthdays un-Islamic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is celebrating birthdays un-Islamic?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let them eat cake, Saudi cleric says

By DONNA ABU-NASR

The Associated Press

Thursday, September 4, 2008; 5:53 PM

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- When Hala al-Masaad invited her girlfriends over to celebrate her 18th birthday with cake and juice, the high school student was stepping into an unusual public debate. Is celebrating birthdays un-Islamic?

Saudi Arabia's most senior Muslim cleric recently denounced birthday parties as an unwanted foreign influence, but another prominent cleric declared they were OK.

That has left al-Masaad with mixed feelings about her low-key celebration last month. She loves birthday parties because they make her feel she has "moved from one stage of life to another."

"But I sometimes feel I'm doing something haram," she said sheepishly, using the Arabic word for banned.

The Saudi ban on birthdays is in line with the strict interpretation of Islam followed by the conservative Wahhabi sect dominant in the kingdom. All Christian celebrations _ and even most Muslim feasts celebrated elsewhere in the Islamic world _ are prohibited as alien customs.

Only the Muslim feasts of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, and Eid al-Adha, which concludes the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, are permitted.

The latest controversy started when a prominent cleric, Salman al-Audah, said on a popular satellite TV program last month that it is OK to mark birthdays and wedding anniversaries with parties as long as the Arabic word "eid" _ feast _ is not used to describe them.

That comment prompted a quick denunciation by Saudi Arabia's top religious authority, Sheik Abdul-Aziz Al Sheik, who said such celebrations have no place in Islam and gave a list of foreign customs he finds unacceptable.

"Christians have Mother's Day, an eid for trees, and an eid for every occasion," Al Sheik told the newspaper Al-Madina. "And on every birthday, candles are lit and food is given out."

There is no question the remarks by al-Audah contradicted religious edicts issued by senior Saudi clerics over the years.

One such ruling, by the previous grand mufti, Sheik Abdul-Aziz bin Baz, said Muslims should not emulate the West by celebrating birthdays _ even that of the Prophet Muhammed, which is marked in most other Middle Eastern countries as a holiday.

"It's not permissible to take part in them," he said.

Yet, despite the continuous edicts against such parties, it's not hard to find stores that cater to Saudis who celebrate birthdays, anniversaries or even Western holidays like Valentine's Day.

Customers can browse albums showing birthday wall decorations, table settings and cakes, and order party bags with coloring books, pens and school supplies.

One popular party game features a life-size papier-mache mannequin of a cartoon or storybook character, such as Cinderella _ much like pinatas at children's parties in the West. To get at the gift hidden inside, children take turns hitting it with a stick.

Buthaina Ba-Aqeel, 51, said she used to throw birthday parties at home for her children, but they were low-key and not on the same day the child was born _ to avoid singling out one particular day during the year to celebrate.

Even that would be too much for Riham Ahmed, a 20-year-old economics major. "It's enough to have two eids," she said. "My birthday is a normal day. Even my parents don't congratulate me."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/04/AR2008090402328.html?hpid=sec-religion

Sheesh... what else are they going to forbid!! [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked this question one of my conservative friends before and she said 'no', and I saw conservative people celebrating it with cakes and presents.

But I know some other conservative people don't like to celebrate it as it is a part of the western culture.

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Islamic friend and I both celebrated our birthdays a few months ago as his is the day after mine. We had a party in the grounds of the Novotel for him and all his friends and for mine we all went to Sokhna for the day. I celebrated my own birthday more in egypt than I would have in England.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be fun,living in Saudi Arabia. [Razz]
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a young Saudi friend currrently running wild around Sydney Australia [Wink] You can clearly take the boy out of saudi and the saudi out of the boy lol...

When I lived in Bahrain a drunk Saudi Arabian broke my little toe when he dropped his beer on my foot!

Just a couple of examples that there is an exception to every rule [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I celebrate birthdays, the usual argument that muslims give for NOT celebrating is that 'the prophet (pbuh) didnt so why should we?' and because birthdays originate as a pagan celebration, in the same way as Christmas and Easter have pagan origins.

I believe what matters is peoples intentions, Christians dont celebrate Easter as a pagan festival, or Christmas, because they have attached to it different meanings...does that mean if they buy each other an Egg, they have begun worshipping the sun?...no.
Equally, if i celebrate my birthday i do not believe i will have magic powers by the morning [Big Grin]

But if people DONT want to celebrate their birthday, thats fine too.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I celebrate everybody's birthday [Big Grin]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Tam was very surprised that I made such a fuss over his birthday. Sending a card, an E card, text! On the back of it his brother bought him a cake and they had a wee celebration with his friends. This year in reply to my text, he actually forgot it was his birthday [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com