EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Ramadan in Germany

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramadan in Germany
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Ramadan in Germany

A Test of Faith and Strength of Character

The Islamic month of fasting begins on Wednesday. Most Muslims in Germany observe the holy month – but in an environment where the majority is not Muslim, fasting is something many find difficult. Ulrike Hummel reports

For weeks now Germany's four million or so Muslims have been eagerly anticipating the onset of the fasting month of Ramadan. It means no food or drink from dawn till dusk over a period of four weeks – a massive strain on the body. During this time, the fast dominates daily life in Islamic countries.

Towns and villages are garlanded with lights while the market stalls, piled high with fruit and vegetables and other mouth-watering goodies, become livier and more bustling than usual. In especially hot regions work is carried out at night, and snack bars and restaurants open for business only after the sun has set.

Harder to hold out

For Muslims in the West, fasting provides a particular challenge. As members of a religious minority, it is a challenge that not all of the faithful are ready and willing to take on.

Azima Moustafa und Haidar Omar have lived in Germany for 13 years. As Syrian Kurds they faithfully observed Ramadan every year in their homeland. Now, however, they find it increasingly difficult to do without food and drink in the fasting period.

"I fasted every year in Syria. I managed to keep it up in Germany, too, until recently. Last year I only managed to hold out for a couple of days," says Azima Moustafa. A Ramadan that falls in the summer months leaves Muslims facing long hours of daylight until the fast can finally be broken. With her asthma being made worse by the heat, Azima preferred to leave off fasting.

Haidar Omar gave up fasting years ago. "Of course, I fasted in Syria, but since I came here I can't do it anymore. I work in the dry construction industry, it is hard physical work and you are thirsty all the time. To be able to keep the fast I would have to stay home for a whole month – easier said than done."

The 38-year-old construction worker is well aware that his employer cannot afford to be without any of his workers during the peak period.

It will be difficult this time, too, for the 31-year-old Azima. As mother of two children and with her own fashion boutique in Cologne to run, she is kept busy from morning till night – employing help is out of the question at the moment.

Seeking strength in the mosque

Azima also misses the sense of community and togetherness from which the faithful can draw strength in Muslim countries. In Syria she would be able to hold out, of that Azima is positive.

Muslims in Germany look to their mosques to provide them with the strength and sense of community to see them through moments of weakness and struggle. Abdelwahab Alioui is imam at the Al-Qods mosque in the city of Krefeld. He knows full well that this year, as always, he will see many of the old occasional faces.

"The mosque is much busier during Ramadan than at any other time – men and women, old and young, parents and children. For us imams it is a chance, too, to remind the faithful of their other religious obligations. That is, not to insult others, not to tell lies to or to steal from them, irrespective of which religion they follow," he says.

Whereas Haider and his wife Azima are forced to face up to their physical limitations during Ramadan, Mohammed Al-Ibrahim spends weeks in advance preparing himself mentally for the fasting period. The 42-year-old doctor who lives in Cologne has been observing Ramadan faithfully for the past 20 years. The Kuwaiti does find life in Germany a challenge however – and not only due to fact that the takeaways and restaurants are all open.

"I see other people eating and drinking, I walk past snack bars and takeaways and smell all the wonderful aromas. It stimulates the appetite and makes you more aware that you are hungry. But it is finding the will to resist female charms, particularly in summer, that is the real challenge." Ramadan is not only about renunciation of food and drink; smoking and sex are taboo also until the fast is broken in the evening.

Ramadan and social awareness

Muslims practice four weeks of self-restraint. Of course there is a religious purpose to this but through the deprivation of food and drink, the fasting is also meant to make its adherents aware of the sufferings of the poor. Even the rich should be made to experience hunger, and a donation for the poor is an obligation for every Muslim during Ramadan.

More than 73 per cent of Turkish Muslims in Germany fast according to a survey carried out by the Center for Turkish Studies in Essen in 2005. Fasting is thus the most commonly observed religious obligation for Muslims.

Those who choose not to observe it, however, are made aware of a certain disapproval directed towards them from within the Muslim community. "Some Muslims give anyone who chooses not to fast in Ramadan a hard time. They tend to point the finger disapprovingly and don't respect your decision. But it is, after all, a decision between myself and God," says Azima Moustafa. Her decision has even brought her verbal abuse, the 31 year old says.

Yet Islam does allow for exceptions. Fasting only becomes a religious duty after puberty. The sick and the elderly as well as travellers are exempt from fasting and can make up for lost fasting days at a later time. It is health and the cleansing of body, mind and soul, after all, that is the ultimate objective of the fast.

Ulrike Hummel, © Deutsche Welle/Qantara.de 2010

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMoussaka
Member # 17647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMoussaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked with a young Afghan fellow who was a Shia, and he fasted for a while during one Ramadan...but drank alcohol during the rest of the year. Due to the physical demands of factory work (as opposed to that of the Kuwaiti doctor above) I can understand anyone not lasting through the holy month of Ramadan for fasting, but not the alcohol bit

--------------------
...'knock on the sky and listen to the sound'...Zen saying

Posts: 62 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freshsoda
Member # 13226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freshsoda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where it's written that fasting means to not eat or drink nothing?
Posts: 653 | From: Great Manchester | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fast

verb (used without object)
1. to abstain from all food.
2. to eat only sparingly or of certain kinds of food, esp. as a religious observance.

–verb (used with object)
3. to cause to abstain entirely from or limit food; put on a fast: to fast a patient for a day before surgery.

–noun
4. an abstinence from food, or a limiting of one's food, esp. when voluntary and as a religious observance; fasting.
5. a day or period of fasting.

Fasting is primarily the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time. A fast may be total or partial concerning that from which one fasts, and may be prolonged or intermittent as to the period of fasting. Fasting practices may preclude sexual activity as well as food, in addition to refraining from eating certain types or groups of foods; for example, one might refrain from eating meat. A complete fast in its traditional definition is abstinence of all food and liquids.

In the Bahá'í Faith, fasting is observed from sunrise to sunset during the Bahá'í month of `Ala' (March 2-March 20)./ Bahá'u'lláh established the guidelines in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas. It is the complete abstaining from both food and drink (including abstaining from smoking). Consumption of prescribed medications is not restricted. Observing the fast is an individual obligation and is binding on Bahá'ís between 15 years (considered the age of maturity) and 70 years old. Exceptions to fasting include individuals younger than 15 or older than 70; those suffering illness; women who are pregnant, nursing, or menstruating; travellers who meet specific criteria; and individuals whose profession involves heavy labor and those who are very sick where fasting would be considered dangerous. For those involved in heavy labor, they are advised to eat in private and generally to have simpler and/or smaller meals than are normal.

Along with obligatory prayer, it is one of the greatest obligations of a Bahá'í. The guardian of the Bahá'í Faith, Shoghi Effendi, explains: "It is essentially a period of meditation and prayer, of spiritual recuperation, during which the believer must strive to make the necessary readjustments in his inner life, and to refresh and reinvigorate the spiritual forces latent in his soul. Its significance and purpose are, therefore, fundamentally spiritual in character. Fasting is symbolic, and a reminder of abstinence from selfish and carnal desires."

Fasting is a practice in several Christian denominations or other churches. Some denominations do not practice it, considering it an external observance, but many individual believers choose to observe fasts at various times at their own behest. The Lenten fast observed in the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church is a forty-day partial fast to commemorate the fast observed by Christ during his temptation in the desert. This is similar to the partial fasting within the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (abstaining from meat and milk) which takes place during certain times of the year and lasts for weeks.

Fasting is a very integral part of the Hindu religion. Individuals observe different kinds of fasts based on personal beliefs and local customs.
Methods of fasting also vary widely and cover a broad spectrum. If followed strictly, the person fasting does not partake any food or water from the previous day's sunset until 48 minutes after the following day's sunrise. Fasting can also mean limiting oneself to one meal during the day and/or abstaining from eating certain food types and/or eating only certain food types. In any case, even if the fasting Hindu is non-vegetarian, he/she is not supposed to eat or even touch any animal products (i.e., meat, eggs) on a day of fasting. (Milk is an exception for animal products).

Fasting is the third of the Five Pillars of Islam and involves fasting during Ramadan, which is probably the most notable time for fasting among Muslims.

In Islam, fasting for a month is an obligatory practice during the holy month of Ramadan, from fajr (dawn), until the maghrib (dusk). Muslims are prohibited from eating, drinking (including water), and engaging in sexual activity. They are also encouraged to temper negative emotions such as anger and addiction.

There are many types of fasting in Jainism. One is called Chauvihar Upwas, in which no food or water may be consumed until sunrise the next day. Another is called Tivihar Upwas, in which no food may be consumed, but boiled water is allowed. The main goal of any type of fasting in Jainism is to achieve complete Non-Violence (दया, ahimsa) during that period. Fasting is usually done during Paryushana but can be done during other times.

Fasting for Jews means completely abstaining from food and drink, including water. Brushing the teeth is forbidden on the major fast days of Yom Kippur and Tisha B'Av (see below), but permitted on minor fast days. There are complex laws for taking medications, except where stopping the medication causes serious risk to health.
Yom Kippur is considered to be the most important day of the Jewish year and fasting as a means of repentance is expected of every Jewish man, woman, boy or girl above the age of bar mitzvah and bat mitzvah respectively. It is so important to fast on this day, that only those who would be put in danger by fasting are exempt, such as the ill, elderly, or pregnant or nursing women, as endangering one's life is against a core principle of Judaism. Those that do eat on this day are encouraged to eat as little as possible at a time and to avoid a full meal. For some, fasting on Yom Kippur is considered more important than the prayers of this holy day. If one fasts, even if one is at home in bed, one is considered as having participated in the full religious service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freshsoda
Member # 13226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freshsoda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Dalia for your time reply to me, as Fasting is primarily the act of willingly abstaining from some OR all food. My question is why fasting in Islam was only defined as abstaining from all food not some of food? Is there something in Quran says that?
Posts: 653 | From: Great Manchester | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bollock
Member # 17944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bollock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
18 hours for fasting in Germany this year
Posts: 46 | From: on your plate | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
No, at the moment it's about 14 hours.
freshsoda
Member # 13226

Come on Dalia,don't ignore my question?
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
I don't really understand your question. You could have easily found the relevant verses for yourself.

O you who believe, fasting has been decreed for you as it was decreed for those before you, perhaps you may be righteous.

A fixed number of days; however, if any of you is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days; and as for those who can do so but with difficulty, they may redeem by feeding the needy. And whoever does good voluntarily, then it is better for him. And if you fast it is better for you if only you knew.

A month of aspiration, in which the Qur'an was revealed; as a guide to the people and clarities from the guidance and the Criterion. Therefore, whoever of you witnesses the month, then let him fast therein. And whoever is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days. God wants to bring you ease and not to bring you hardship; and so that you may complete the count, and glorify God for what He has guided you, that you may be thankful.

2:183-185

You may eat and drink until becomes distinct to you the white thread from the black thread of dawn ...

2:187

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=005593

freshsoda
Member # 13226

Dalia, My question was very clear. Fasting may be abstaining from SOME or ALL food. Why Muslims choosed to fully fast i.e no eat or drink and not partial fasting which is abstain from some food? Is there any instruction states that?!

In Christianity, New testament does not command Christians to fast in a specific way, it doesn't focus on food but on taking your eyes off the earthy things of this world. Jesus fasted in the desert "After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry." Mat4:2, this verse does not mention Jesus being thirsty. In Daniel 1:12 says " Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink" In Acts 9:9 describes when Paul went on a full fast for three days "For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything" The Bible didn't command believers to follow specific way of fasting and Chrisitans have the freedom to observe the way of fasting, may be same like Jesus, Daniel, paul or Moses. Some people beside fasting on food they hold themselves from watching TV or sleep less hours and focus on prayers.

In the Old Testament fasting was a sign of mourning, or when danger threatened or to prepare the human's soul to recieve divine revelation. In Leviticus 23:27 Yom Kippur is a strict day of rest for Jews and they do fasting for one day they don't eat or drink same as Moses in Exodus 34:28. So in what basis do Muslims fast i.e no eat or drink? What if Muslims don't eat but they can drink? where it's written it's not allowed? I hope you understood my point now.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by freshsoda:

Dalia, My question was very clear. Fasting may be abstaining from SOME or ALL food.

Why Muslims choosed to fully fast i.e no eat or drink and not partial fasting which is abstain from some food? Is there any instruction states that?!

So in what basis do Muslims fast i.e no eat or drink? What if Muslims don't eat but they can drink? where it's written it's not allowed?

Yes, I am aware that fasting can have different forms.

As for your questions, the above verses should provide an answer. Since it is clearly stated that eating and drinking is allowed during night time, it would be logical to conclude that the fasting during the daytime means abstinence of both.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com