Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » For Valentine's Day make your Valentine a nice Chocolate Cake! YUM!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For Valentine's Day make your Valentine a nice Chocolate Cake! YUM!!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy Peasy Chocolate Cake

Serves 8

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks)room temperature, plus more for pan
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pan
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream (I find this to be fattening so I use the same amount of yogurt instead!)

Chocolate Glaze (below)

Sweetened whipped cream, for serving (optional)

Chocolate shavings, for serving (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan; line bottom with wax paper (if available). Butter paper; dust with cocoa powder, tapping out excess; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture alternating with sour cream, starting and ending with the flour mixture.

3. Spread batter into prepared pan. Tap pan firmly on countertop several times to force out large air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely (bottom side up). Set rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour glaze over; spread gently to coat entirely. Let stand until set. Garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve with whipped cream.

Chocolate Glaze:
4 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Place chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Let cool until thick yet pourable, 2 to 3 minutes.

-

*side note*
I found a little store here in the city I live that has small candy bars of white chocolate (which I adore). I shave off pieces of this candy bar to top the cake and it looks so pretty and colorful next to the glaze! Just an idea if you want something different. [Wink] Happy Valentine's Day!

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMmmmmm, you can melt white chocolate and drizzle it over a cake in sort of zebra stripes for a cool look.
Just make sure to melt it in a double boiler... use a bowl (like stainless) and put it in a small sauce pot so it sits on top. Put just enough water in the pot so that it does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Then slowly heat the water with the bowl filled with broken up chocolate on top.
Stir it, but be careful not to get ANY water in the chocolate or it may seize.

I want to make a choco cake that has a cherry filling for V-Day. Or cherries in it or on top of it or something. And a big banana sticking up out of the middle of it!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummm the white chocolate drizzled over the entire thing is a NICE idea, I might actually give that one a try! (I'm making my list of valentine things to make for the hubby this year, last year he brought me sweets and I felt so guilty!). [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smuckers, your photos rock! Stop teasing me with such delicious looking food here on this forum! [Wink] [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

LOL @ Tigerlily, sorry dear, they are appetizing-looking I know...be strong!!! [Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, did you ever think about to maybe open up a little cafe and/or restaurant (if you are aiming to stay in Egypt) serving American food and more - I am sure that's one thing Shebin really lacks of .... [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

lol among other things it lacks! lol [Big Grin]
No, I don't think so, we like lots of meat in our diets and the people here just can't afford it, that's why if you order a hamburger in egypt they give you something with a paper thin disgusting piece of meat and two pieces of bread (always ketchup and sliced cucumbers [Confused] ) and call is hamburger. I think my food would just confuse them....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com