Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » teaching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: teaching
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am headed today to a high school to teach a culinary class. so excited but nervous too. i will be teaching them technics in how to cut and cook. my menu will be app: bruschetta main course : chicken mars ala, rice pilaf, and asparagus bundles, dessert will be a Kentucky pie which tastes like a brownie with pecans in it. wish me luck you guys [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COOL. Best of luck. I miss teaching so much. Enjoy the great experience Micky.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks mk, never did this before , but thanks to my nephew, he blabbed that i was a professional chef to his teacher [Big Grin] [Big Grin] and she called me and asked if i would do this [Eek!] .so here i go. thanks for the luck [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck! Just relax, everything will be great, after all you are the professional chef [Smile]
I would love to be in your class for 1 day [Wink]

Besides, high school students are very cool [Smile]
(personal experience) and eager to learn new things.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK try to relax and use humor, give examples, tell stories (about the history of the dish or where the food comes from, etc..), motivate them to cook by telling the benefits of preparing healthy foods, tell them which vitamins come in the ingredients (or give them an assignment to look it up), and say why you are doing what you're doing all the time.

Exciting!

Oh I have just remembered something. Do you want me to explain to you what vitamins are actually for i.e. How they work? I don't think many people know the answer to that!!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i took a course in dietary management so i know a lot about this , but for others and to refresh me you can please tell them. can you come with me? [Big Grin]
i have the humor down [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
thanks mk, never did this before , but thanks to my nephew, he blabbed that i was a professional chef to his teacher [Big Grin] [Big Grin] and she called me and asked if i would do this [Eek!] .so here i go. thanks for the luck [Wink]

Whatever you do, don't try to use any teen slang to impress them, it never works. [Big Grin] [Razz] Have fun.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ I disagree. Using teen slang every once in a while makes them ROFL.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
no this is a proper Christian school, don't have to worry about that they are very strict [Eek!] [Eek!]
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck.
I taught cooking to children for many years. If your language and the things you cook relate to their life style you will get on well.

I now specialize in cake decorating, but here in Egypt it is so difficult to get really fine icing sugar

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thanks everyone , well i am off for the long ride so see ya when i get back mk sure you don't want to come with me? [Big Grin]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
i took a course in dietary management so i know a lot about this , but for others and to refresh me you can please tell them. can you come with me? [Big Grin]
i have the humor down [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

OK here's an example: Suppose we drink milk. It has Calcium. Calcium is good for our bones, but it cannot go anywhere once reached our stomach. So the Calcium needs to get to the bones or else we'll just poop it out and it would be a waste. So we get the calcium a taxi to transport it to the bones. This taxi is Vitamin D. The Calcium hops on the taxi and takes a ride into our blood to until it reaches the bones (some of it not all of it, because we need some in the blood and in the muscles for other functions).

So what has vitamin D done to the Calcium? It was its Taxi to where it should be. So, vitamins help Minerals as well as Carbohydrates, Fats, and Proteins reach their targets and make the processes of using them possible.

Vitamins also work as shields to protect those elements. Like a taxi is protecting Calcium from being damaged by bad chemical reactions. That's why we call them "anti-oxidants". The most known ant-oxidant is Vitamin C, that's why we squeeze a lemon on top of vegetables and fruits that could go brown (oxidise=go rusty) too fast. And FYI, those foods that go brown/rusty too fast, are high in iron content. That's why their iron goes rusty if exposed, just like a bike in the rain.

Also tell them that we lose certain vitamins really fast. Boiling the vegetables too long is bad for the vitamins. Steaming is better. Also when they go to the prom and drink buckets, they have to go home and take lots of vitamin B6 (Reminder: B good at the prom, have 6 not sex), because Alcohol makes people pee out all their stores of vitamin B each time they consume it, and Vitamin B6 is vital for our brains. That's why chronic alcohol users eventually go nuts. [Big Grin]

OK I'll shut up now.

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am off to school again too, this thread makes me hungry [Big Grin]
(wondering what exactly Kentucky Pie tastes like)

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
thanks everyone , well i am off for the long ride so see ya when i get back mk sure you don't want to come with me? [Big Grin]

If I get to partake of what you are cooking I'll tag along. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Sooo Micky

Are you back?? Everything went great? Give us some details please. Were they enthusiastic? interested? motivated?
Did you bring a piece of the Kentucky Pie for me? And give some to Smuckers as well, she's hungry too [Smile]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very informative mk, and in a way I could understand [Smile] thankyou
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ You're very welcome.

Now where did Micky go? Did the kids take her hostage for her cooking?

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mind boggles!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i am home . i went to the beach after school. success. and thanks mk for the bit of information. but i didn't get it till now and i already went over alot of that with them also sanitization . they loved the food and i had them involved with learning how to use a knife properly and zest lemon blah blah blah. it was a great experience and they want me to come back again, oh by the way desertgirl & smucks sorry about the pie , they ate it all. its like eating a brownie with pecans in it in a pie shell [Razz]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats professor !
just knew you could do it !

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Glad you had a good time Micky, I'll bet that was a fun experience. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it was a great experience ;)and im glad i could wake you up this morning [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thank jean-bean. i new it too just was a little nervous in the beginning but once i met the kids they were great [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com