Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » lentil soup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lentil soup
tut tut
Member # 14212

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tut tut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone have a recipe for egyptian lentil soup .

i have one but it does not look or taste anything like as good as the stuff i get in luxor !

Posts: 69 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lentil Soup

2 cups ads majroosh, (dried, hulled split, red lentils), or other dried lentils
2 quarts chicken stock, fresh or can
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
1 medium tomato, quartered
2 teaspoons garlic, coarsely chopped
4 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper, freshly ground
lemon, cut into wedges

Wash the lentils in a large sieve or colander set under cold running water, until the draining water runs clear.

In a heavy 4 to 5 quart saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils, onion, tomato and garlic, reduce the heat to low, and simmer partially covered for 45 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside, add the chopped onions and, stirring frequently, cook for 10 minutes, or until they are soft and deeply browned. Set aside off the heat.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tut tut
Member # 14212

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tut tut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks micky will give it a go at the weekend [Wink]
Posts: 69 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anytime tut tut [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tut tut:
does anyone have a recipe for egyptian lentil soup .

i have one but it does not look or taste anything like as good as the stuff i get in luxor !

Oh, where do you get good lentil soup in Luxor? I have tried it in so many places and didn't find it nice. I've just the opposite problem, I like my lentil soup better.
Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tut tut
Member # 14212

Rate Member
i have never tasted bad lentil soup in luxor its been lovely at the hotels i have tried it in .
the emilio
st joseph

Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pothead_Barbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the watery kind or the thick ads that u put dry pita bread and the garlicy vinegar sauce into?

every try o'as? its a soup made from a root found in the desert.
i love that stuff and i make it for people when they feel sick, it helps.

Posts: 460 | From: philly | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pothead_Barbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
split red lentils
onions
garlic
vinegar
pita bread
oil

boil your lentils til they are the mushiest thing ever.
put them into a food processor or a blender til they become a soup.
pour them back into the pot and add some browned onions. keep on low and stir it a lot so it doesnt burn.

on the side in a small pot, lightly fry about an entire clove of minced garlic in some oil but dont overdo them, or it tastes grody.
turn off heat and add the vinegar and some cayenne pepper powder or paprika if you cant handle the heat like me:)
when your soup is simmered enough to where the onion flavour has soaked into every inch of it, pour into bowls and set the sauce out so people can spoon it into the soup.
in an oven,. toast seom pita breads and when they are done, break them apart and add them to the soup.

hmmm! [Smile]

Posts: 460 | From: philly | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com