Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Egyptian Cooking 101

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Cooking 101
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd really like to learn how to cook Egyptian food. What do I need to have to start with, i.e. what spices and stuff are essential in Egyptian food and what recipes are good to start with but are very delicious and typical Egyptian. Can somebody help me?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend in Cairo gave me this great cookbook -- My Egyptian Grandmother's Kitchen. It's a wealth of information about ingredients, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9774249275

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy Macaroni Bechamel

* 1 lb elbows, ziti, or rigatoni
* 2 26 oz. jars traditional pasta sauce
* 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
* 3 cups bechamel (see recipe below)
* 8-10 ounces of cheddar, mozzarella, Romano, or reggiano parmigiana cheese

Preparation:
Bechamel Recipe

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/

2. Start by bringing water to a boil on the stovetop for pasta. While waiting for water to boil, begin browning ground beef in large frying pan.

3. When you place pasta in boiling water, reduce heat to medium. Begin bechamel with cheese.

Once beef is done browning, drain, and add pasta sauce. Simmer on low. Drain pasta, cover, and set aside. Cover bechamel and leave on low heat, stirring occasionally.

Pour meat sauce in 9x12 dish. Cover with bechamel. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

4. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with a green salad.

they use cumin, coriander, curry ,chili powder. etc.this is a great recipe to start learning egy.food, i am sure there is alot more spices but these are the ones that come to mind
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/macaronibechame.htm

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Micky, but I don't see the recipe for the bechamel sauce....Ok sorry I saw the link now! Thanks again! I will try it for sure!
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cummin
Shatta
Dill
Coriander
Tomatoes
Aubergine
Onions
Garlic

are the most common ingredients.

Every recipe will also have at least 1 gallon of oil and 5 kg sugar [Razz]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

what is SHATTA?

what kind of oil do they use? Olive oil?

Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chilli powder

Engine oil Mobil 1

[Razz]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
what is SHATTA?

what kind of oil do they use? Olive oil?

My husband prefers corn oil.

I much prefer olive myself, and use it when he's not looking.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

joking...............

they use a few here so you have to be careful.

Vegetable oil in bottles.
There are a few types.
Always use sunflower and always check the ingredients!!!!
A lot of packaging of bottles may have a sunflower picture on it and you would naturally think that was in the bottle!!

WRONG!!
they will use this to fool you and use mixed oils and not label which.
Make sure it is 100% sunflower.

They also use something here called semna.
It comes in tins.
Some are made from butter and are ghee.

BEWARE!!!!!! of the ones called healthy vegetable alternative ones!!!

They will have little red hearts on the tin and say cholesterol free.

They are NOT!!!!

They look like they will be healthier when in fact they are made of palm oil, and coconut oil.

Both are really HIGH in cholesterol!!!

The packaging here is very deceptive and what you would think was the healthy option is actually worse than the real thing.

It's against the law elsewhere but not here it seems [Wink]

anthropos
Member # 9410

Lol @ engine oil. Are you trying to tell me that Egyptians are not well enlightened about using Organic oils full of Omega 3, 6, and what not? Hehe...
Member # 14248

Corn oil is okay but Olive actually lowers the bad cholesterol in the blood. The rest just raise the good cholesterol.
Canola is good too.

Thats why the folks in the Mediterranean areas are so healthy.
Olive oils, fish and tomatoes all lower the bad cholesterol, and raise the good cholesterol.

Member # 14248

quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
Lol @ engine oil. Are you trying to tell me that Egyptians are not well enlightened about using Organic oils full of Omega 3, 6, and what not? Hehe...

ask your hubby what is healthy and gives him 'power' and he will tell you full fat buffalo milk, eggs and plenty of them, semna, butter,cream, fat from the meat ( they actually sell it per kilo here [Eek!] , called 'white meat'!!!)white sugar, oil in everything [Razz]

Omega 3 and 6 would be be a constellation in the night sky. [Big Grin]

Kleo
Member # 15651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kleo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can somebody tell me what is the specific spice (herb or whatever it is) that they put in every meal? [Eek!]
Posts: 12 | From: Somewhere in space.. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cumin and saffron.

anthropos:
i can give you lots of recipes if you want. i even have some bedouin recipes up my sleeve (which i find more healthy) which uses lots of plants found in the desert. (but you have to shop at jamaican or indian stores to find the ingredients here in the us)

i can also give you versions that would be less fat. my ex's grandma had heart disease and i was the only one she would allow to cook her food because i was able to make the egyptian food taste the same way even though i used more healthy ingredients.

i used sesame seed oil for lots of things over ghee and i think it tastes better...

i would also ground up my own chicken breast, turkey and lamb to make a more healthier mixture for kufta.
i used brown rice instead of white mixed with ground chicken breast for mashy.

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com