Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » harira

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: harira
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't Egyptian obviously but it's a Moroccan dish that a friend of mine posted in a different board. I made it but beware it makes a TON so be ready to feed an army! It's perfect for iftar!!! Also, my husband likes his food spicey so he added red pepper to it which gave it a nice kick. You might want to add more salt too.

HARIRA

HARIRA
Ingredients:
1 lb. lamb (in small pieces - but don't remove fat or bones)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
2 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped celery and leaves
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup parsley and cilantro, chopped
1 2-lb. can of tomatoes, chopped
salt
3/4 cup lentils
1 cup chickpeas (canned are fine)
1/4 cup fine soup noodles
2 eggs, beaten with the juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions:
Put the spices, butter, celery, onion, and parsley/cilantro in a large soup pot and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes. Salt lightly. Remove mixture and puree in the blender and return to pot.

Sautee the lamb in the butter until cooked through, then add to the pot (butter and all) along with 7 cups of water, and the lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 2 hours.

When ready to serve, add the chickpeas and noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Then, with the soup at a steady simmer, stir the lemony eggs into the stock with a long wooden spoon. Continue stirring slowly, to create long egg strands and to thicken the soup. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls and dust with cinnamon.

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com